• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    I like it...love the original as well
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271

In the beginning of the song I wanna sing "Lets stop on the westcoast line..."

Same here!
    I liked it though. I hadn't heard the original before today so I had nothing to compare it to
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    that snare sound amazing... like seriously maybe the best studio snare on a pearl jam recording since Matt joined
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    Is BoB the producer?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

In the beginning of the song I wanna sing "Lets stop on the westcoast line..."

Same here!
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,816
    thanks goodness for youtube converter. =)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Not much hype or talk about this song on here(?) or the facebook page.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738

Pretty much PJ fans are in RRHOF zone. By late next week this cover song will talked about some more.
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Pretty much PJ fans are in RRHOF zone. By late next week this cover song will talked about some more.
    Yeah, thought that could be the case.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    It's available for purchase on iTunes now.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    RS151862 said:

It's available for purchase on iTunes now.

Cool. I'm hoping it'll be released on HDTrack in 192kHz 24 Bit Flac.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    demetrios said:

That's exactly where I was. Just purchased and listened for the first time. First listen I really like it. I get the wws and undone references. Mostly I'm just psyched to hear a new pj studio tune
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Love Brandi and was really looking forward to this. But a total miss by PJ. Such a powerful song with heartbreaking lyrics and PJ turns it into a 2 1/2 minute punk rock lite spin. Put more effort into Batman with Harper and Olivia.

Trust me I love PJ - best American band ever. But they could've done so much better with this or another BCB song.
  • Options

Love Brandi and was really looking forward to this. But a total miss by PJ. Such a powerful song with heartbreaking lyrics and PJ turns it into a 2 1/2 minute punk rock lite spin. Put more effort into Batman with Harper and Olivia.

Trust me I love PJ - best American band ever. But they could've done so much better with this or another BCB song.

Brandi says she loves their version. I think it's ok. Just an average rock tune to me.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Via 10club Newsletter ..

Pearl Jam Covers 'Again Today' for War Child Benefit Album

On May 5th, Legacy Recordings will release Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of 'The Story' – An Album to Benefit
    War Child.

For more information on the benefit album, click here. https://pearljam.com/news/listen-to-pearl-jams-cover-of-again-today-by-brandi-carlile-news

Listen to Pearl Jam's cover of "Again Today" now via Pitchfork. http://pitchfork.com/news/72684-listen-to-pearl-jam-cover-brandi-carliles-again-today/
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Brandi says she loves their version. I think it's ok. Just an average rock tune to me.
    At best. Nice effort and all - don't want to criticize the band for this.... I just don't like the song itself (or maybe what PJ did to it - I don't know the original). Weird tempo and rhythm that doesn't appeal to me. It just doesn't have any real "feel" to it IMHO. No atmosphere. Oh well. Different strokes and all that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

At best. Nice effort and all - don't want to criticize the band for this.... I just don't like the song itself (or maybe what PJ did to it - I don't know the original). Weird tempo and rhythm that doesn't appeal to me. It just doesn't have any real "feel" to it IMHO. No atmosphere. Oh well. Different strokes and all that.
    agreed.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    I love the way they covered this. I'd replace any one LB song with this one!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited April 2017
    I love how this was recorded. The drums sound great. I didn't like Avocado very much but the way it was recorded I liked. This kind of reminds me of that. Minus the brickwalling.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

You think she would say she was disappointed or sort it was "so so" if that's what she was really thinking? :)
  • Options

You think she would say she was disappointed or sort it was "so so" if that's what she was really thinking? :)
    she'd probably say nothing at all.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,045
    I like it. Can't wait to spin the entire record!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited April 2017

she'd probably say nothing at all.
    I doubt that. She had to acknowledge it somehow. But maybe she really does love it - no way to know.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,314
    Pearl Jam - Again Today http://apple.co/2nDhGq4
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    http://www.samaritanmag.com/news/adele-pearl-jam-dolly-parton-cover-brandi-carlile-support-war-child
    Adele, Pearl Jam, Dolly Parton Cover Brandi Carlile To Support War Child

By Aaron Brophy | www.samaritanmag.com
    Posted on April 12, 2017

Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of The Story – An Album to Benefit War ChildPearl Jam, Adele, Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson and Jim James are among the artists reinterpreting songs from Brandi Carlile's 2007 album The Story, with all proceeds going to War Child UK, the organization dedicated to helping children in conflict zones around the world.

"Do you remember Sunday school? Goliath was a giant, he was undefeated, menacing and a paralyzing presence in his time," Carlile begins in a post on her website. "Goliath is our refugee crisis and the apathy it breeds. In particular, this giant is most devastating in that it is destroying the lives of the truly innocent, the hope of the world - children."

The first single is Pearl Jam's cover of "Again Today" and features Carlile on backing vocals. The just-released song will be one of 14 songs on Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of The Story – An Album to Benefit War Child, out May 5 on Legacy Recordings. Former President Barack Obama provides the foreword.

According to the press material Chris Stapleton plays guitar on Kris Kristofferson's version of “Turpentine" and Miranda Lambert sings backing vocals on Anderson East’s take on “Josephine.” Dave Cobb produced the tracks by Kristofferson, Parton, and Price, while Patrick Carney of the Black Keys produced Ruby Amanfu. Carlile and longtime bandmates The Twins (Tim and Phil Hanseroth) produced the Secret Sisters and TORRES.

"We’re giving this thing all we’ve got," said Carlile in her post. "Everyone is donating all proceeds to War Child U.K. Charity projects like this don’t come along every day; even the major record label putting this album out is donating their proceeds to War Child U.K. We are going to witness radical cavalry and compassion because we choose to.

"Help us make this album a gift to kids and a way forward. Please buy Cover Stories, and if you can’t - tell fifty people about it, volunteer, put your weight into it. I don’t care if you’re right or left handed, wrap your fingers around this thing and launch the son of a bitch right at the evil eye."

Work on the covers album began last year through Carlile's Looking Out Foundation, which "amplifies the impact of music by empowering those without a voice. From neighborhood to nation, we help fund causes and organizations that often go unnoticed."

"This fantastic album will help fund our vital work — from supporting Syrian children to access education, to reintegrating child soldiers in the Central African Republic and working in juvenile justice in Afghanistan," said War Child U.K. CEO Rob Williams, in a press release.

Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of The Story – An Album to Benefit War Child full track list:

Shovels & Rope "Late Morning Lullaby"
    Dolly Parton "The Story"
    Kris Kristofferson "Turpentine"
    Old Crow Medicine Show "My Song"
    Jim James "Wasted"
    The Avett Brothers "Have You Ever"
    Anderson East "Josephine"
    Secret Sisters "Losing Heart"
    Indigo Girls "Cannonball"
    TORRES "Until I Die"
    Margo Price "Downpour"
    Ruby Amanfu "Shadow On The Wall"