"Day Without A Woman" - General Strike - March 8, 2017

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

mace1229 said:

my2hands said:

feel free to start a thread about the national debt...

maybe in that thread you can point out the only President in recent memory to run a surplus was Democrat Bill Clinton... then W came in and blew that out of the water with an unnecessary tax cut, an unnecessary and unfunded war, and Medicare part D..... or is that too far before "grab em by the pu$$y" for you guys to remember?

don't remember the national debt skyrocketing during Reagans Cold War military/nuclear buildup?

go back and study up before we start acting like democrats are the only reason for a national debt

I like how you tell us to start a new thread then continue talking about it....
    I think everyone here is aware of the national debt in recent years. Going off memory and without looking it up, Reagan added something like 2T and bush 4-5 T. No one has denied that. Small apples compared to 12T though. Debt rose under Clinton as well. But no one has said only dems are responsible. The fact is more than half the debt occurred in the last 8 years, but no one has implied only Obama is to blame. In fact in this whole conversation no one even mentioned Obama or any other democrat, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with this? This topic rose as a defense to cut spending, specifically stating cutting government funded abortions should be more a financial decision than political at this point, and no president was mentioned.
    You ignored the extra billions that will be spent on military, the lost revenue from tax cuts on the wealthy and the millions being spent per weekend so the guy you voted for can golf. And let's not forget about the millions spent on his sons security so they can jet set around the world to make cash for daddy.

And here you are worried about far lessmoney being spent to better women's lives, because "abortions".

If you were on any of these other threads expressing concern about fiscal mismanagement I wouldn't be calling bullshit. At least unsung is somewhat more consistent in that regard.

Please point out to me where I have ever defended that other spending you are stating. So using other examples that no one here is defending to justify other spending seems meaningless.
    And by the way, didn't almost every president golf?
    Trump continuously blasted Obama on twitter over the years for golfing when he "should have been working". I can't recall the stats, but Trump has golfed way more than Obama already. He's a hypocrite. Plus the millions he is spending of tax payer dollars on flying himself and his cronies to and from maralago every weekend, it's beyond ridiculous. I'd say spend your own money on your weekend travel, but hey, maybe Putin says it's not a reimburseable expense.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

mace1229 said:

dignin said:

mace1229 said:

my2hands said:

maybe in that thread you can point out the only President in recent memory to run a surplus was Democrat Bill Clinton... then W came in and blew that out of the water with an unnecessary tax cut, an unnecessary and unfunded war, and Medicare part D..... or is that too far before "grab em by the pu$$y" for you guys to remember?

don't remember the national debt skyrocketing during Reagans Cold War military/nuclear buildup?

go back and study up before we start acting like democrats are the only reason for a national debt

I think everyone here is aware of the national debt in recent years. Going off memory and without looking it up, Reagan added something like 2T and bush 4-5 T. No one has denied that. Small apples compared to 12T though. Debt rose under Clinton as well. But no one has said only dems are responsible. The fact is more than half the debt occurred in the last 8 years, but no one has implied only Obama is to blame. In fact in this whole conversation no one even mentioned Obama or any other democrat, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with this? This topic rose as a defense to cut spending, specifically stating cutting government funded abortions should be more a financial decision than political at this point, and no president was mentioned.
    You ignored the extra billions that will be spent on military, the lost revenue from tax cuts on the wealthy and the millions being spent per weekend so the guy you voted for can golf. And let's not forget about the millions spent on his sons security so they can jet set around the world to make cash for daddy.

And here you are worried about far lessmoney being spent to better women's lives, because "abortions".

If you were on any of these other threads expressing concern about fiscal mismanagement I wouldn't be calling bullshit. At least unsung is somewhat more consistent in that regard.

Please point out to me where I have ever defended that other spending you are stating. So using other examples that no one here is defending to justify other spending seems meaningless.
    Trump continuously blasted Obama on twitter over the years for golfing when he "should have been working". I can't recall the stats, but Trump has golfed way more than Obama already. He's a hypocrite. Plus the millions he is spending of tax payer dollars on flying himself and his cronies to and from maralago every weekend, it's beyond ridiculous. I'd say spend your own money on your weekend travel, but hey, maybe Putin says it's not a reimburseable expense.
    why do think so many people blasted Obama ?

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

mace1229 said:

dignin said:

mace1229 said:

my2hands said:

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Things did not go well for the sexual assaulter on Twitter today. I post this in solidarity with all women making the point today to those who need to learn that women are equal citizens. This idea has made progress during my lifetime but we're not there yet. Some citizens still have a lot to learn. Oh, so much more I could say but there's work to be done. (wearing red) Have a great day everyone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-tweeted-international-womens-day_us_58bfe3e7e4b054a0ea663890?1vlk0y9ufp37lul3di&
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options

mace1229 said:

dignin said:

mace1229 said:

my2hands said:

why do think so many people blasted Obama ?

several reasons. some were legit. but many of those reasons were nothing more than partisanship, and sometimes, racial reasons. plain and simple.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993

mace1229 said:

dignin said:

mace1229 said:

my2hands said:

And I wouldn't disagree with that. It seems this topic has taken a couple twists, and in some cases jumped to conclusions. I haven't been on other threads talking about fiscal responsibility as another comment because I haven't seen it come up on ones I've read. It came up here because it was mentioned that cutting funding to government funded abortions is something than even pro-choicers could back for financial reasons. I believe I have the right to own a gun, it doesn't mean I think the government should pay for it or my training. When we are approaching 21T in debt there needs to be drastic cuts in spending, not increasing, and this would include military and the wall, which no one has suggested we spend on that either. And it has been implied several times that if you didn't vote for Hilary then you are for everything that Trump said, did, does and will do. I don't understand the logic in that, especially when we had the 2 most hated candidates in history, but still had to chose one.
  • Options
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    edited March 2017
    https://pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-stands-with-women

100% of T-shirt proceeds and 25% of all goods sold on pearljam.com through 3/12 will be donated to Planned Parenthood Federation of America to help ensure equal health care for everyone, especially in states where clinics have been (or might be) defunded; and, to Planned Parenthood Global in support of health care partners across Africa and Latin America addressing impacts of the recently reinstated Global Gag Rule.*
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Kat said:
    Good article. And good thing PJ didn't have a show today lol
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    PJPOWER said:

PP193448 said:

Wonder how many kids are off school today???

Off school or counted absent? I know that during the "day without immigrants", there were a lot counted absent that were bitching about getting an unexcused absence...consequences.
    Alexandria City Public Schools in Virginia, Prince George’s County public schools in Maryland, and the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school district in North Carolina closed because of all the teachers who requested the day off.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Yay! Thank you for posting this article, Kat.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options

https://pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-stands-with-women

100% of T-shirt proceeds and 25% of all goods sold on pearljam.com through 3/12 will be donated to Planned Parenthood Federation of America to help ensure equal health care for everyone, especially in states where clinics have been (or might be) defunded; and, to Planned Parenthood Global in support of health care partners across Africa and Latin America addressing impacts of the recently reinstated Global Gag Rule.*

Yay, Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    It was a beautiful day for the march and rally. There were only a few hundred people, but we could still make noise. A lot of red.

It really hit home how this continued in-public protesting is necessary to maintain the momentum from January 21. After calling legislators, or attending Town-Halls or other meetings, it is always good to touch base with a march.

Show me what democracy looks like - this is what democracy looks like (My favorite marching chant)

I'm very excited about the March for Science. The signs are going to be awesome!

• Options
    Here is more information about the strike in Ireland that I referenced earlier. [Article] This strike inspired me to be active this March 8. I was planning on wearing black in solidarity with Ireland . . . then I heard about DC activities and wore red and marched. Protests in both places on March 8 are because of specific laws regarding women's reproductive freedom.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Solidarity, sisters :smile:
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Kat said:
    Aaawwww damn. The sad irony of having to post that disclaimer today due to the sexualization of breasts.
    Thanks kat, really enjoyed those....heartening.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    A little March 8 women striking history:

Today actually marks the 100th anniversary of the "women's demonstration for bread and peace" in St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1917, when women took to the streets to demand an end to World War I and the regime of Czar Nicholas II, but particularly against the rationing of bread and flour.

The strike of tens of thousands of female factory workers incensed by the food shortages of the war led in short order to the collapse of czarism, which was quickly replaced by a Communist government that not only gave women the right to vote, but also declared March 8th, International Women's Day, as an official holiday — although they didn't allow women to take the day off to celebrate. Women in other Communist societies around the world observed it as a non-working holiday for decades before Soviet women finally got the day off starting in 1965.

Here is the NPR article which is mostly about how Italians celebrate March 8.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Kat said:
    Some very powerful & inspiring images. Wow. Thanks for posting that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Kat said:
    Some very powerful & inspiring images. Wow. Thanks for posting that.
    Powerful was exactly the word that kept going through my head as I looked through those pictures. Good stuff.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited March 2017

Kat said:
    Aaawwww damn. The sad irony of having to post that disclaimer today due to the sexualization of breasts.
    Ditto - amazing photos.
    And yeah, too bad about the sexualization of the breasts in those couple of photos. Kat, if those had been men and not women, all else equal, would you have warned us? Just wondering. I don't know about Seattle, but topless women and men are equal up here, so if men don't need a NSFW warning, then I figure the women shouldn't either (just making a point - I do know why you said it... It's just sad that you felt you had to).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I've decided I'm not voting for a male for any office in any election until women are equally represented in elected office. Regardless of party or position, this country desperately needs equal representation of females in elected office. If there isn't a female candidate on the ticket, I'm not casting a vote for that office.

US Senate - Only 50 women have been a US Senator since 1789. The first was 1922, with the first woman actually being elected in 1932. Currently there are only 21 female Senators out if 100 (21%)

US House of Representatives - currently there are only 84 female members of the house (19%)

US Governors - There have only been 40 female governors in the history of The United States, with only 4 (FOUR) current female Governors.

A huge majority of female elected officials are Democrat (shocker!)
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I've decided I'm not voting for a male for any office in any election until women are equally represented in elected office. Regardless of party or position, this country desperately needs equal representation of females in elected office. If there isn't a female candidate on the ticket, I'm not casting a vote for that office.

US Senate - Only 50 women have been a US Senator since 1789. The first was 1922, with the first woman actually being elected in 1932. Currently there are only 21 female Senators out if 100 (21%)

US House of Representatives - currently there are only 84 female members of the house (19%)

US Governors - There have only been 40 female governors in the history of The United States, with only 4 (FOUR) current female Governors.

Interesting stuff, my2hands. I didn't realize only 50 women have ever been US Senators. Both the senators from my state are women, and at one point women held both senate positions and the governor's office, so I know we aren't afraid to elect women here. It is shameful that it is such a relatively rare thing.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Kat said:
    Ditto - amazing photos.
    And yeah, too bad about the sexualization of the breasts in those couple of photos. Kat, if those had been men and not women, all else equal, would you have warned us? Just wondering. I don't know about Seattle, but topless women and men are equal up here, so if men don't need a NSFW warning, then I figure the women shouldn't either (just making a point - I do know why you said it... It's just sad that you felt you had to).
    it's a fair warning. had an exec walked by my cube while I was scrolling by that pic, I would have been in deep doo doo.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:

But wouldn't that be equally sexist? Shouldn't everyone vote for the best candidate, regardless of sex, race, religion?
    And what would you consider equal representation? I would not consider 50% to be equal because politics attracts less women. You may argue that is a cultural thing that needs to change, and you could be right. But I would argue professions that require long hours and time away from home detract from women. Men feel more comfortable working late and being away from home than women. That is not meant to be disrespectful in any way, but shows the nurture quality women have, especially when they have families. When kids are sick who do they go to? When they need comfort who do they go to? Mom.
    We are often compared to other countries, but one factor that is rarely mentioned is the work week. Many other countries work a lot less than here. More and more often people are expected to work 50-60 hour weeks or more, which does make it harder for a working mom.
    Politicians spend a lot of time away from home, and a lot of mothers are not up for that.
    I think you would see more politicians, more women climbing the cooperate ladder, a smaller wage gap if we stuck to a 35-40 hours work week like many other countries do.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Kat said:
    Ditto - amazing photos.
    it's a fair warning. had an exec walked by my cube while I was scrolling by that pic, I would have been in deep doo doo.
    Probably not, if you explained the context. Anyway, as I said, I know why she gave the warning, it's just sad that anyone feels it's necessary. Also sad that an executive would be mad about it. Kind of the whole point of this day, right? To stop that kind of thinking?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    mace1229 said:

my2hands said:

But wouldn't that be equally sexist? Shouldn't everyone vote for the best candidate, regardless of sex, race, religion?
    And what would you consider equal representation? I would not consider 50% to be equal because politics attracts less women. You may argue that is a cultural thing that needs to change, and you could be right. But I would argue professions that require long hours and time away from home detract from women. Men feel more comfortable working late and being away from home than women. That is not meant to be disrespectful in any way, but shows the nurture quality women have, especially when they have families. When kids are sick who do they go to? When they need comfort who do they go to? Mom.
    We are often compared to other countries, but one factor that is rarely mentioned is the work week. Many other countries work a lot less than here. More and more often people are expected to work 50-60 hour weeks or more, which does make it harder for a working mom.
    Politicians spend a lot of time away from home, and a lot of mothers are not up for that.
    I think you would see more politicians, more women climbing the cooperate ladder, a smaller wage gap if we stuck to a 35-40 hours work week like many other countries do.
    This is a very old argument that doesn't make sense. Men and women are responsible for child care. Women can work long hours. Our bodies don't shut down after 40 hours of work. If we have careers we can work all that needs to be done to get the job done. Women aren't mothers first, they aren't born hoping to be mothers. They are born to grow and learn and be engaged with life.

There is no reason for a women who wants to run for office to consider the path and walk down the path if it aligns with her career goals.

However, in order for a woman to be a professional who decides to be a mother she needs complete ownership of when to be a mother - which is what part of this day is about.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    mace1229 said:

my2hands said:

Let's say you're right about women feeling less comfortable working late and being away from home than men (you're not). That seems to tell you that that makes it okay for women to not be properly represented in government (that would be around 50%), when in fact the answer to that would be that politics have to change to accommodate women, since our society needs to be properly represented in government even if it's not the most convenient thing in the world. However, since you're "off" on your assessment of women (and men, for that matter) in the first place, and seem to dismiss the societal/cultural sexism that creates the inequality, I suppose that's a moot point.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Kat said:
    Ditto - amazing photos.
    Probably not, if you explained the context. Anyway, as I said, I know why she gave the warning, it's just sad that anyone feels it's necessary. Also sad that an executive would be mad about it. Kind of the whole point of this day, right? To stop that kind of thinking?
    That's right PJ_Soul.
    If women want to march or protest shirtless I am all for that and support it 100%.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    None of you know any women who have chosen to put their career on hold to raise their children? That is hard to believe because there are a lot out there. And I don't see how there is anything sexist about bringing it up.
    I never said women cant handle long hours or your bodies shut down after 40 hours. Please don't put demeaning words in my mouth.
    But the fact is when faced with the decision to go back to work full time and pay for child care (which means seeing your children for about 2 hours in the evening before putting them to bed), far more women than men make the decision to put their career on hold so they can continue to raise their children themselves at home. That's not my opinion, that is a fact. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that decision, and therefore how is it disrespectful or sexist? Stay at home moms probably work harder than most who have time to post on here.
    And my point was, with any amount of women choosing to stay home it would mean than equal representation is not 50%.

And my question was never answered. How is voting for someone because they are a man not sexist? Would it not be racist if I said I didn't vote for Obama because he is black and I don't want a black man leading our country? How is what you said any less sexist than that? Vote for whoever is the best candidate, regardless of sex or race. But somehow you don't approve of that?

I wanted my wife to return to work after our first, but she insisted on staying home. I wouldn't trade jobs with her, and I think my job is already pretty tough to begin with. She works hard every day. And those commercials about moms not getting a sick day don't even know how true they are. And it took a lot of sacrifices to make that happen, date night is now strapping our kids into the shopping cart at Costco while we eat a pizza. How can anyone be offended by someone making that decision and sacrifice?
    Post edited by mace1229 on