"Day Without A Woman" - General Strike - March 8, 2017

Comments

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    let's all eat smores and sing kumbaya around the camp fire.......
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

I would suggest a " day without men " but with only liberals attending it would likely be a small (very small) crowd. LOL !!!!!!
    com'on you laughed.....inside you know you did.

yeah like the small crowd that showed up in DC the day after president bafoons inauguration , small like that ?
    I think this was a very poor attempt at a penis-size joke.
    no.......but why would that be on your mind ? I mean hay it's cool and all to have thoughts and all, but really...it seems a little odd.
    what was jokingly meant is that there are very few real men who are liberals.

Seriously? Real Men? Conservatives are the biggest group of pants-shiatting, bed-wetting cowards there are.
    They're confiscating our guns!
    They're stealing our jobs!
    Their immigrants are all terrorists!
    The entire GOP platform is built on stoking the fear of insecure little men who know nothing other than to lash out at any scapegoat that is presented to them for their own shortcomings.

No disrespect meant to the incontinent.
    I'm not going to dispute any of those claims, because I've definitely heard them all, and it's mostly crazy right wing people. But...The same could be said about left wing liberals also. All I've seen on social media since Trump was elected is "the world is gonna end!" "He's evil and he's going to destroy this country!" "women will have no rights!" "LGBTQ people will have no rights!" "Republicans are going to ruin this country with their crazy laws!". It's coming from both sides.

I'm not a fan of the President, I didn't vote for him and I don't agree with everything he's done. But if we want this country to succeed, we definitely need to stop the badmouthing on both sides and figure out a way to work together. It seems that common sense went bye-bye a long time ago (on both sides of the aisle). The biggest problem is people don't respect each others beliefs, and it's gotten to a point where it's just attacking now instead of working it out. We need congresspeople from both sides step up and reach out to work together. And if those there now won't do that, then we need to elect new ones
    https://youtu.be/xnhJWusyj4I
    these people will tell themselves anything to avoid looking at the truth
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I plan to. I recently bought a uke.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    CM189191 said:

ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

I would suggest a " day without men " but with only liberals attending it would likely be a small (very small) crowd. LOL !!!!!!

yeah like the small crowd that showed up in DC the day after president bafoons inauguration , small like that ?
    no.......but why would that be on your mind ? I mean hay it's cool and all to have thoughts and all, but really...it seems a little odd.

Seriously? Real Men? Conservatives are the biggest group of pants-shiatting, bed-wetting cowards there are.
    The entire GOP platform is built on stoking the fear of insecure little men who know nothing other than to lash out at any scapegoat that is presented to them for their own shortcomings.

I'm not going to dispute any of those claims, because I've definitely heard them all, and it's mostly crazy right wing people. But...The same could be said about left wing liberals also. All I've seen on social media since Trump was elected is "the world is gonna end!" "He's evil and he's going to destroy this country!" "women will have no rights!" "LGBTQ people will have no rights!" "Republicans are going to ruin this country with their crazy laws!". It's coming from both sides.

I'm not a fan of the President, I didn't vote for him and I don't agree with everything he's done. But if we want this country to succeed, we definitely need to stop the badmouthing on both sides and figure out a way to work together. It seems that common sense went bye-bye a long time ago (on both sides of the aisle). The biggest problem is people don't respect each others beliefs, and it's gotten to a point where it's just attacking now instead of working it out. We need congresspeople from both sides step up and reach out to work together. And if those there now won't do that, then we need to elect new ones
    This is not a case of both sides are bad. There is no equivalency.

How do you "respect someone's beliefs" when they spout falsehoods daily, get called on it, and then double down?

If someone tells me the world is flat, they lose my respect.
    I'm in total agreement there with you. I should've worded my response differently. I was more talking about republicans and democrats coming together in spite of Trump. I wasn't solely talking about Trump. (It appears fact checking isn't big in the President's administration, and that definitely needs to change)

welcome to the club!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    CM189191 said:

Y

I know there will be a lot of pushback from here, but I want to add this is based off a lot of misconceptions as well.
    As well as that previous comment that it comes from both sides, that is true only when you focus on the extremes. If I based all my information about the left from the AMT and what I see posted on facebook I would have a completely different opinion than from what I get by actually interacting with people with a different view.
    And although those fears mentioned above are exaggerated and really only exist in the extreme scenarios, they are based on real fears.

If you spend time with people on the right you will find...
    They don't think the next Obama will come take their gun. They fear the next Obama will make it harder to use their guns by things like making it more difficult to get ammo. Something that has already happened with some states banning internet sales, requiring ammo purchases to go through a dealership and limiting the amount of ammo purchased making it too expensive for the average hobbyist to keep up his hobby. Those are real fears and facts, but is translated into "Obama isn't going to knock on your door and take your gun" somehow. If you agree with the new laws or not the fact remains it is becoming more difficult and expensive to target shoot as a hobby.

Job market sucks. Even if it has improved, the average family is making less than they did 10 years ago. But it isnt as much the job market as it is the economy in general. The right does not want to deport illegals, especially those with families and are good members of society. But immigration is an issue that is often ignored. Schools are over crowded, housing double the students they are intended to. Do any of you work in, or have a child in a school built to hold 24 students but has 46? I've been there, it sucks. Overcrowded and underfunded schools leads to a bad education for everyone. But where are most overcrowded schools located? Poor neighborhoods with a high Hispanic population. That is a real fear, visit a school in LA school district if you don't think so. Instead the blame falls on the teacher who fails to teach a class of 46 kids, 30 of whom are behind several years in math and English before they even arrive in the class. Illegals are not the only problem, but it is a matter of get our act together first before we try to solve the world's problems. Is a family who struggles to take care of their own children going to ask for some foster kids? Immigration is a problem that affects everyone, but is usually ignored and written off as "they do the work you don't want to so you should be happy" and described as tearing families apart.
    mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

Y

I know there will be a lot of pushback from here, but I want to add this is based off a lot of misconceptions as well.
    As well as that previous comment that it comes from both sides, that is true only when you focus on the extremes. If I based all my information about the left from the AMT and what I see posted on facebook I would have a completely different opinion than from what I get by actually interacting with people with a different view.
    And although those fears mentioned above are exaggerated and really only exist in the extreme scenarios, they are based on real fears.

They don't think the next Obama will come take their gun. They fear the next Obama will make it harder to use their guns by things like making it more difficult to get ammo. Something that has already happened with some states banning internet sales, requiring ammo purchases to go through a dealership and limiting the amount of ammo purchased making it too expensive for the average hobbyist to keep up his hobby. Those are real fears and facts, but is translated into "Obama isn't going to knock on your door and take your gun" somehow. If you agree with the new laws or not the fact remains it is becoming more difficult and expensive to target shoot as a hobby.

Job market sucks. Even if it has improved, the average family is making less than they did 10 years ago. But it isnt as much the job market as it is the economy in general. The right does not want to deport illegals, especially those with families and are good members of society. But immigration is an issue that is often ignored. Schools are over crowded, housing double the students they are intended to. Do any of you work in, or have a child in a school built to hold 24 students but has 46? I've been there, it sucks. Overcrowded and underfunded schools leads to a bad education for everyone. But where are most overcrowded schools located? Poor neighborhoods with a high Hispanic population. That is a real fear, visit a school in LA school district if you don't think so. Instead the blame falls on the teacher who fails to teach a class of 46 kids, 30 of whom are behind several years in math and English before they even arrive in the class. Illegals are not the only problem, but it is a matter of get our act together first before we try to solve the world's problems. Is a family who struggles to take care of their own children going to ask for some foster kids? Immigration is a problem that affects everyone, but is usually ignored and written off as "they do the work you don't want to so you should be happy" and described as tearing families apart.
    the problem is, trump's way is the wrong way. he is tearing families apart.I think most people agree that immigration policy is something that needs attention.

the gun thing is perpetuated by the extreme gun nuts and the NRA. they are the ones pushing the "they're going to take our guns" rhetoric, and many people believe them.

many of the conservatives on this website parrot those same fears, and I cannot believe that a small fraction on a liberal band's website is an anomaly.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

very cool !

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    ponytd said:

I'm in total agreement there with you. I should've worded my response differently. I was more talking about republicans and democrats coming together in spite of Trump. I wasn't solely talking about Trump. (It appears fact checking isn't big in the President's administration, and that definitely needs to change)

I look forward to the time when the parties work well together. It could happen. I don't remember the vetting of the last two Supreme Court justices as a partisan issue.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

Y

Bullshit lol
    My neighbour does and he's not alone, if you spend any time on social media you know it as well as anybody.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

Funny how now that R's are in charge, suddenly the conversation turns to "why won't you let them lead?". Did you forget how obstinate Congress was the last 8 years? I didn't.

https://youtu.be/ydTXdnXqLqk
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

Y

Bullshit lol
    My neighbour does and he's not alone, if you spend any time on social media you know it as well as anybody.
    That was part of my point. What you read on social media doesn't necessarily represent the majority. The loudest and most obnoxious don't often represent the majority, but often do represent the majority of posts on social media. The 10 people who aren't afraid of losing their gun rights isn't going to be as loud as the 1 who is. True with everything.
    For every person ranting and raving about 'Bama taking my guns there far more quietly sitting back.
    And although I don't see that happening, that fear does have roots in reality. It is becoming harder and more expensive to be a gun owner, and the restrictions on certain goes does keeps broadening. Many gun owners see some of these laws and restrictions, especially the ones on ammo, as an alternative option to literally taking away their guns.
    I only bring that up because fears being rooted in reality was a defense for the fears the left have. I see it on both sides. But you wont see it if your only opinion from either side comes from social media.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    The GOP will sit on their hands and do nothing about bafoon he will get away with everything nothing will come of Russian connections , Turtle face McConnell & coward Ryan will see to it !!!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

Y

Bullshit lol
    That was part of my point. What you read on social media doesn't necessarily represent the majority. The loudest and most obnoxious don't often represent the majority, but often do represent the majority of posts on social media. The 10 people who aren't afraid of losing their gun rights isn't going to be as loud as the 1 who is. True with everything.
    For every person ranting and raving about 'Bama taking my guns there far more quietly sitting back.
    And although I don't see that happening, that fear does have roots in reality. It is becoming harder and more expensive to be a gun owner, and the restrictions on certain goes does keeps broadening. Many gun owners see some of these laws and restrictions, especially the ones on ammo, as an alternative option to literally taking away their guns.
    I only bring that up because fears being rooted in reality was a defense for the fears the left have. I see it on both sides. But you wont see it if your only opinion from either side comes from social media.
    That doesn't stop every Congress-critter on the right from stirring up every wedge issue they can think of around election time. Tax reform is boring. Stopping trannies from raping your wife in public restrooms is what drives voters to the polls.
    l
    CM189191 said:

ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

Funny how now that R's are in charge, suddenly the conversation turns to "why won't you let them lead?". Did you forget how obstinate Congress was the last 8 years? I didn't.

Nowhere in my post did I say "why won't you let them lead". As a matter of fact, in my last post, I said that if they (meaning both Republicans and Democrats) don't want to work together, then we need to get them out of there and vote in those who will.
    mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

Y

Bullshit lol
    Very good points, as well as your previous post, and very true. I believe, like you, the majority do not believe all of the rhetoric, no matter which side you are on. But it is the 1%'s that are loud enough to cause the problems. For example, I'm a gun owner and 2nd amendment supporter, but I never thought for once that my guns were going to be taken away. I'm also for more gun control. I would be fine with a law that said you had to register or apply for a license to own a firearm beyond just the standard background checks. I know plenty of gun owners that feel the same way, but you don't hear that side, you only hear the "don't take my guns!!!" people
    ponytd said:

l

CM189191 said:

ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

ponytd said:

CM189191 said:

Y

Nowhere in my post did I say "why won't you let them lead". As a matter of fact, in my last post, I said that if they (meaning both Republicans and Democrats) don't want to work together, then we need to get them out of there and vote in those who will.
    I hear what you're saying. I'd say this pretty well sums it up for me

Ms. Haiku said:

ponytd said:

I look forward to the time when the parties work well together. It could happen. I don't remember the vetting of the last two Supreme Court justices as a partisan issue.
    As do I. And I hope, for all our sakes, it is in the near future. The Republicans have a huge chance here to do the right thing. To reach out to Democrats and say "hey, this is what we're planning. What do you think?" and listen and take suggestions seriously. Probably won't happen though. But a man can dream right? lol
    ponytd said:

Ms. Haiku said:

ponytd said:

As do I. And I hope, for all our sakes, it is in the near future. The Republicans have a huge chance here to do the right thing. To reach out to Democrats and say "hey, this is what we're planning. What do you think?" and listen and take suggestions seriously. Probably won't happen though. But a man can dream right? lol
    lol yeah like the way they chose to work with Obama ?

ponytd said:

Ms. Haiku said:

ponytd said:

lol yeah like the way they chose to work with Obama ?
    yeah, well Obama wasn't crazy lol.
  • my2hands said:

228 years... 45 presidents... 0 women... even though they represent half of the population

is there a bigger issue than that?

My state has less than 15% women in the state legislature and we haven't had a woman represent us in Congress since 1993. We did have a female governor who just left us for greener (that's debatable) pastures but I don't see any female coming up the ranks behind her. It's the old guard around here and I don't see it changing anytime soon. So I have a feeling the march will be well attended around here.
    KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

228 years... 45 presidents... 0 women... even though they represent half of the population

is there a bigger issue than that?

I'm sorry but I don't think this is an issue at all. I'm sure someday there will be a women President but as of now only one has tried.
    only one has been able to get far enough in the political system of the US TO try.
    Do you think female politicians are being held back from running or just a lack of female politicians in general? I think currently there are only 4 active governors who are women.
    Does that include Nikki Haley? If so, then she's out.
    I'm through with screaming
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Will @Kat be taking the day off?

I'm sure everyone will play nice lol

The GOP will sit on their hands and do nothing about bafoon he will get away with everything nothing will come of Russian connections , Turtle face McConnell & coward Ryan will see to it !!!!

would you like them to buy back the uranium that Hildabeast sold them ?

Pay attention we are talking about president bafoon here , turtle face McConnell & coward Ryan will do nothing about any Russian involvement in our election process but I guess you don't believe anything ever happened since like your president it's fake news unless it comes from faux news your favorite channel !!
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited February 2017

Got one for me and the kids for Christmas. Any good recommendations for learning DVDs?? Something for 5 and 6 yo, and maybe more basic for me??? Ukes for Dummies??
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville

Pay attention we are talking about president bafoon here , turtle face McConnell & coward Ryan will do nothing about any Russian involvement in our election process but I guess you don't believe anything ever happened since like your president it's fake news unless it comes from faux news your favorite channel !!
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAH !!!!!!! sorry Jose, I lost my mind for a second. LOL !!!

PP193448 said:

Got one for me and the kids for Christmas. Any good recommendations for learning DVDs?? Something for 5 and 6 yo, and maybe more basic for me??? Ukes for Dummies??
    I'm just going off EV's book, and probably youtube uke for beginners if I run into issues.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Bump it for the marchers not the people sitting on their hands !!!

PP193448 said:

I'm just going off EV's book, and probably youtube uke for beginners if I run into issues.
    I've been a big fan of Hal Leonard's teaching books. Using them for Uke & Guitar.
    A lot of fun songs in The Daily Ukulele
    And finally, Ukulele Aerobics
    Bump it ..