"Day Without A Woman" - General Strike - March 8, 2017

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    edited February 2017
    FYI, March 8 is International Womens Day which used to be called International Working Women’s Day. This isn't the first time women would strike for equality. When women would first strike it was for suffrage as well. The first International Women’s Day was in 1909.

To have a women’s strike on March 8 makes sense. 2017 UN theme is "Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50/50 by 2030.

When I first heard of the 2017 March 8 Women on Strike March it was a march in Ireland to support women's reproductive freedom. I heard about it after the January 21 Women’s March. Since the Irish and other countries showed solidarity with US marchers I planned on showing it back.

If I am lucky I will have a new job, and instead of marching I may donate money to a charity that supports women, and retweet or repost information about all of the marches. This may be one of those cool global statements. I'm pretty excited about the day.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2017
    The President stated Roe v Wade should be overturned and women should be punished if they had one performed. He now has the power to appoint federal judges all across the country, including the Supreme Court. Mike Pence is even further to the right.

The war against states abortion laws & rights across the country in republican held states.

The war on planned parenthood currently waged by republicans with Mike Pence as a lead architect.

Healthcare... such as contraceptives being covered... remember that pig Rush Limbaugh referring to women as slut's a few years ago in that debate???

Literally almost every single issue currently effects women more than men... whether us men like it or not... how many more single parent mothers are there as opposed to single father's? You think the minimum wage issue doesn't affect the millions of single mother parents out there? You think health care access doesn't affect every single woman out there, especially mothers??? You think the future of education doesn't affect all the mothers out there??? Women far outnumber men in college degrees, you think the cost of education doesn't affect them??? Equal pay in the workforce???

Literally every issue is a women's issue, and you right wing trolls ask what's the ruckus all about? For God's sake man, it's all around you.

Wake up and smell the coffee

Post edited by my2hands on
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mace1229 said:

my2hands said:
    I'm guessing from the string of links that you are posing issues people have with current propositions.
    But my question was how does this walkout address that? The original link posted stated that the walkout was to demonstrate the importance of women in our community.
    So I am gathering that either the original post was incorrect and this march is about women's rights and not about their value in our culture, or many joining the cause unsure what it is really about, or that I am completely clueless as to the amount of people who actually find women useless in our society.
    Come on dude! If they called it what it actually was, they wouldn't get as big of a crowd. Branding 101, create a slogan that represents more than the audience that the actual cause represents.
    my2hands said:

The President stated Roe v Wade should be overturned and women should be punished if they had one performed. He now has the power to appoint federal judges all across the country, including the Supreme Court. Mike Pence is even further to the right.

The war against states abortion laws & rights across the country in republican held states.

The war on planned parenthood currently waged by republicans with Mike Pence as a lead architect.

Healthcare... such as contraceptives being covered... remember that pig Rush Limbaugh referring to women as slut's a few years ago in that debate???

Literally almost every single issue currently effects women more than men... whether us men like it or not... how many more single parent mothers are there as opposed to single father's? You think the minimum wage issue doesn't affect the millions of single mother parents out there? You think health care access doesn't affect every single woman out there, especially mothers??? You think the future of education doesn't affect all the mothers out there??? Women far outnumber men in college degrees, you think the cost of education doesn't affect them??? Equal pay in the workforce???

Literally every issue is a women's issue, and you right wing trolls ask what's the ruckus all about? For God's sake man, it's all around you.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited February 2017
    I think some people need to start their own march: "A Day Without White Male Americans". See how that works out for you. Tip: BYOBA (bring your own body armour)
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

I get all of those things except that there are tons of women that are pro-life that should be represented as well, so that is not just a women's rights issue. It's a moral/ethical/legal issue. I guess they could join on the basis of the right for women to be conservative and pro-life...but most liberals would just prefer those women "shut up".
    I still don't get the "a day without" thing though. There is no opposition to women in society or in the workforce or having access to healthcare. Certain types of healthcare are up for debate, but that's another conversation. For protests to work, you need a clear message...so I just doubt this one will have much impact...that's all I'm saying. I could be wrong. Liberals assume all women are on board with pro-choice stance, but that is simply not the case.
    PJPOWER said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

I get all of those things except that there are tons of women that are pro-life that should be represented as well, so that is not just a women's rights issue. It's a moral/ethical/legal issue. I guess they could join on the basis of the right for women to be conservative and pro-life...but most liberals would just prefer those women "shut up".
    I still don't get the "a day without" thing though. There is no opposition to women in society or in the workforce or having access to healthcare. Certain types of healthcare are up for debate, but that's another conversation. For protests to work, you need a clear message...so I just doubt this one will have much impact...that's all I'm saying. I could be wrong. Liberals assume all women are on board with pro-choice stance, but that is simply not the case.
    oh, come on. "liberals assume all women are on board with pro-choice". gimme a break. of course it's not the case.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    PJPOWER said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

No, liberals don't assume that all women are pro- choice; we're just in favour of protecting the rights of all women to appropriate health care, including but not limited to abortions. Because it's amazing how a choice can change when it's your own body you're thinking about, not someone else's body.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Ms. Haiku said:

FYI, March 8 is International Womens Day which used to be called International Working Women’s Day. This isn't the first time women would strike for equality. When women would first strike it was for suffrage as well. The first International Women’s Day was in 1909.

To have a women’s strike on March 8 makes sense. 2017 UN theme is "Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50/50 by 2030.

When I first heard of the 2017 March 8 Women on Strike March it was a march in Ireland to support women's reproductive freedom. I heard about it after the January 21 Women’s March. Since the Irish and other countries showed solidarity with US marchers I planned on showing it back.

If I am lucky I will have a new job, and instead of marching I may donate money to a charity that supports women, and retweet or repost information about all of the marches. This may be one of those cool global statements. I'm pretty excited about the day.

Thanks for your post. I will be donating to Planned Parenthood on that day.
    I'm through with screaming
    edited February 2017
    228 years... 45 presidents... 0 women... even though they represent half of the population

is there a bigger issue than that?
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Ms. Haiku said:

Thanks for pointing this out there is a couple of posters here that can't come to grips with these marches they are in disbelief !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    edited February 2017

Ms. Haiku said:

Thanks for pointing this out there is a couple of posters here that can't come to grips with these marches they are in disbelief !!
    It isn't disbelief, it is the lack of a clear goal that is in question.
    Many protests/marches lacked any clear goals or agendas (occupy, many of the BLM movements for example) and as a result were seen as a bunch of people who wanted to cause trouble or with nothing better to do.
    The marches last month at least had a clear mission, to prove there is power in numbers and the resistance the government will have with the perceived pathway.
    On the other hand, "A day without a ______" march is usually intended to demonstrate how important a group is to society when that particular group is threatened to be removed from society. Usually illegals when strict immigration rules were threatened, or their jobs were in jeopardy due to new labor laws would they have a "Day Without a Mexican" protest to show their relevence. It was their way of saying "you need us more than we need you" to try and show the impact if they suddenly were no longer here or able to work.

The goal for this event was said to be to demonstrate the importance of women in our society. But no one is arguing that. Even groups who you feel threaten women's rights are not trying to convince anyone they do not play an important role in society. I've asked 4 or 5 times why this is necessary and I haven't seen what I consider a real answer to that, mostly just information about abortion laws, which has nothing to do with this particular event, nor does it address what the purpose of this march is said to be.

If anyone is passionate about this cause they should be more interested in spreading the agenda and why they feel it is important to prove the impact that women do have. Because without a clear agenda or goal for this day, it will be seen by many as just another pointless protest filled with clueless protesters, like the Occupy movement became.

If everyone participating is fighting for women's rights, then that needs to be the clear message, and I don't think a walkout is the typical method, since those protests are usually used to prove the relevance they have in society like the organizers have stated (which isn't in question).
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • my2hands said:

"If Congress were to pass legislation making abortion illegal and the federal courts upheld this legislation, or any state were permitted to ban abortion under state and federal law, the doctor or any other person performing this illegal act upon a woman would be held legally responsible, not the woman. The woman is a victim in this case as is the life in her womb. My position has not changed — like Ronald Reagan, I am pro-life with exceptions."
    — A statement clarifying Donald Trump's above remarks from his campaign in March 2016
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    my2hands said:

228 years... 45 presidents... 0 women... even though they represent half of the population

I'm sorry but I don't think this is an issue at all. I'm sure someday there will be a women President but as of now only one has tried.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

I'm sorry but I don't think this is an issue at all. I'm sure someday there will be a women President but as of now only one has tried.
    only one has been able to get far enough in the political system of the US TO try.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2017

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

only one has been able to get far enough in the political system of the US TO try.
    Do you think female politicians are being held back from running or just a lack of female politicians in general? I think currently there are only 4 active governors who are women.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I would suggest a " day without men " but with only liberals attending it would likely be a small (very small) crowd. LOL !!!!!!
    com'on you laughed.....inside you know you did.
    Victoria Woodhall was the first woman to run for president (1872) . . .women couldn't vote until 1920.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Y

I would suggest a " day without men " but with only liberals attending it would likely be a small (very small) crowd. LOL !!!!!!

yeah like the small crowd that showed up in DC the day after president bafoons inauguration , small like that ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

Do you think female politicians are being held back from running or just a lack of female politicians in general? I think currently there are only 4 active governors who are women.
    It's because some men are scared of women in power, and not all women realize they could be powerful. . .but this is becoming neutralized as more women have executive roles. It's taking a while.

Y

yeah like the small crowd that showed up in DC the day after president bafoons inauguration , small like that ?
    I think this was a very poor attempt at a penis-size joke.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ms. Haiku said:

KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

It's because some men are scared of women in power, and not all women realize they could be powerful. . .but this is becoming neutralized as more women have executive roles. It's taking a while.
    I'm not sure it's taking a while but maybe I have a skewed view. My boss is a women. My companies CEO, CFO, and some of the VP's are all women.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362

Y

Yup. It reminds me of an old joke that I know. Want to hear it?

Pretty good, huh?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

I think, as Haiku mentioned, it's only very recently where it's been accepted that woman can be leaders in government, at least in the US. With that in mind, it's going to take a VERY long time for the playing field to even out. yes, I do believe that women are being held back. It's not easy to get into federal politics without moving up the ranks unless you are supremely rich. And making those strides at that many levels would be, I think, incredibly difficult for a woman in many parts of the US.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2017
    KC138045 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

I'm not sure it's taking a while but maybe I have a skewed view. My boss is a women. My companies CEO, CFO, and some of the VP's are all women.
    As you noted earlier only four active governors are women. The goal should be 25.
    KC138045 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

I think private enterprise is a different animal. Same species, different animal. while it's still not easy for women to break the glass ceiling, I think it's far easier than being successful in general politics.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Y

ya know.....I've been banned for calling presidential nominees names......take it easy Jose.

Y

no.......but why would that be on your mind ? I mean hay it's cool and all to have thoughts and all, but really...it seems a little odd.
    what was jokingly meant is that there are very few real men who are liberals.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    Ms. Haiku said:

KC138045 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

As you noted earlier only four active governors are women. The goal should be 25.
    I would disagree with that. I don't know to what extent. But I wouldn't say half of cops should be female because that job attracts a lot more males just on the type of work involved. I wouldn't ay half of all nurses should be males because that job attracts more females. Or half of race-car drivers, or most of jobs that are heavily influenced by one gender.
    Yes, some of that has to do with culture, but I think there's more to it than just culture. Politics attracts more men, probably some due to culture, but what extent I don't know.
    Point being not every job should be equal men and women. Agreed it should be closer to even than it is now, but we shouldn't strive for a perfect gender balance in every career.
    edited February 2017
    mace1229 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

KC138045 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

my2hands said:

I would disagree with that. I don't know to what extent. But I wouldn't say half of cops should be female because that job attracts a lot more males just on the type of work involved. I wouldn't ay half of all nurses should be males because that job attracts more females. Or half of race-car drivers, or most of jobs that are heavily influenced by one gender.
    Yes, some of that has to do with culture, but I think there's more to it than just culture. Politics attracts more men, probably some due to culture, but what extent I don't know.
    Point being not every job should be equal men and women. Agreed it should be closer to even than it is now, but we shouldn't strive for a perfect gender balance in every career.
    But what if more women are deciding to run. Thanks to Emily's List and the momentum of the Women’s March more women are looking into running. Women needed inspiration and support and they got it. (2018 here we come!)

It could be 50% of governors, and if it's 100% why not.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg said that there should be 9 women Supreme Court justices because for so long no one complained when all of the justices were men, so why should people complain if all of the justices are women.

RBG is kick ass.