Meeting The Band

2»

Comments

• fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 108
    edited February 19
    I spotted a semi-icognito Ed at the NYC Tibetan Freedom Concert (think Yield-era black hair + a scruffy beard) and followed him to a booth. I said hi and "thanks for the music, it changed my life". He replied with a firm handshake, looked me directly in the eye and sternly said "No you did it, you changed your life." It was a short, awkward conversation and I felt bad about how awestruck and mumbly I was. So, risking being perceived as a total lunatic, I followed him some more, staying about 10 feet away so as not to freak him out too bad. He paused after a few minutes and gave me a sideways glance. I walked over and apologized for my awkwardness, he laughed and then we shared a wonderful 10 minute nerdy fan conversation about U2, who had just played. We talked about how their set didn't include certain songs we had both hoped to hear, he talked about how hard it is to choose just a few songs for festivals. Funny thing is, none of PJ was on the bill for the two day show, but Ed and Mike played a short set the next day and he never once mentioned the surprise. Totally humble, regular guy, no airs at all, despite me being somewhat stalker-ish for a few minutes. I was very pleased with myself until I met up with my wife a few minutes later and she rolled her eyes at my story. Lo these many years later, she's still rolling her eyes at my stories.
    Post edited by fgalpern on
    10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 30 shows and counting...
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitarPosts: 6,496

Mike and Jeff Central Park 2015 sound check Global Citizen. Extremely cool guys took pics with both.

Was there a bald cop there getting photo bombed by Eddie? (at least that was the picture he sent me) My friend who's a cop said he heard "live-sounding" PJ from afar, walked through central park, flashed his badge a couple times and sure enough, there was PJ doing sound checks. Said he's proud to say that the one time he abused the use of his authority was to meet Eddie.
    I think so, that weekend was a pretty special one. Got to go to Ed Sullivan Theatre for the Colbert show, a real nice sunny afternoon in Central Park sound checking with PJ (meeting Jeff and Mike) and finishing with the Global Citizen show.....awesome experience. ;)
    Cork-Eddie-17 Chicago 1&2-16 Miami-16 Ft. Lauderdale-16 New York City(Colbert,Sound Check,Show)-15 Moline-14 Detroit-14 Amsterdam 1&2-14 Chicago-13 Noblesville-10 Grand Rapids-06 Grand Rapids-04 Auburn Hills-00 Auburn Hills-98 Toledo-96

NO SAMPLES, KEYBOARDS OR SYNTHESIZERS USED IN THE MAKING OF THIS RECORDING....
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 888
    fgalpern said:

I spotted a semi-icognito Ed at the NYC Tibetan Freedom Concert (think Yield-era black hair + a scruffy beard) and followed him to a booth. I said hi and "thanks for the music, it changed my life". He replied with a firm handshake, looked me directly in the eye and sternly said "No you did it, you changed your life." It was a short, awkward conversation and I felt bad about how awestruck and mumbly I was. So, risking being perceived as a total lunatic, I followed him some more, staying about 10 feet away so as not to freak him out too bad. He paused after a few minutes and gave me a sideways glance. I walked over and apologized for my awkwardness, he laughed and then we shared a wonderful 10 minute nerdy fan conversation about U2, who had just played. We talked about how their set didn't include certain songs we had both hoped to hear, he talked about how hard it is to choose just a few songs for festivals. Funny thing is, none of PJ was on the bill for the two day show, but Ed and Mike played a short set the next day and he never once mentioned the surprise. Totally humble, regular guy, no airs at all, despite me being somewhat stalker-ish for a few minutes. I was very pleased with myself until I met up with my wife a few minutes later and she rolled her eyes at my story. Lo these many years later, she's still rolling her eyes at my stories.

That's actually a really intense response re: you being the one who changed your life. I love that. Artists who write soul-shaking, life-changing music hear the testimony "Your music/This song changed my life" quite often, but I've never heard anyone answer that way. I love that. It's been awhile since I heard something new that once again upped my respect for Ed or this band, but that just bumped it way up once again.

Thanks for sharing!
  • fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 108
    That's actually a really intense response re: you being the one who changed your life. I love that. Artists who write soul-shaking, life-changing music hear the testimony "Your music/This song changed my life" quite often, but I've never heard anyone answer that way. I love that. It's been awhile since I heard something new that once again upped my respect for Ed or this band, but that just bumped it way up once again.
    Thanks for sharing!
    I'm glad this resonated with you! When he said those words, I was deeply touched and completely caught off guard. Some of Ed's childhood struggles mirror my own. Hearing those words from him was, in some way, permission to start working on my issues. Couldn't have come at a better time in my life.
    10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 30 shows and counting...
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 2,360
    I read your tibet'97 account maybe a decade ago somewhere. I always remembered that one. Very cool
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 888
    fgalpern said:

Thanks for sharing!
    I'm glad this resonated with you! When he said those words, I was deeply touched and completely caught off guard. Some of Ed's childhood struggles mirror my own. Hearing those words from him was, in some way, permission to start working on my issues. Couldn't have come at a better time in my life.

That's fantastic, really, that is really cool. Like cp3iverson, I'll remember this for a long time.
2»