Options

Has the Race Card/ Political Correctness gone too far ?

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937

"maybe whitey had ambition to take field blues out of the fields". good god.

you folks can't stand the truth when it interrupts your " poor abused black man" way of thinking, I think you all need some serious
    help....lessons in life that teach you to stop being pitiful self absorbed self described victims and learn to move forward with your thinking and emotions that you pretend to have and believe are so sensitive, you're not doing anybody any favors with your public display of pity.

I don't really know what this is suggesting.

GF... does God love black people as much as he loves white people?
    of course be does but you should ask him yourself, seriously, ask him.

Do I have to interpret his response to me by the formation of Cheerios in my cereal bowl? Or will I get a response that I don't have to contrive from my own imagination?

Seriously.
    well my friend, that was as simple and as straight forward as I could get with your question, sorry I put 'be' rather than 'He' in my answer but you know my spelling issue is common knowledge around here. LOL !

My editing skills are obviously slipping- I never noticed that small error on your part. Dammit.

With all due respect... given your comments to this point in time... my question to you is as follows: if you truly believe in God, then why are you so selective with your love for all of God's children? From what I understand, God loves and forgives all, but it seems as if you are a little hesitant to recognize the plight of many of your brothers and sisters.

Does God recognize countries and imaginary lines created by men? Or does he see humanity as a whole and every individual as part of the whole?
    this will be the only time I talk about my faith on here...
    God recognizes and loves all his creations, you and I included even if you are a non believer and I am faaaaar from perfect, as far as countries and borders go ? I couldn't tell you what he thinks about them but according to the Bible he is very aware of borders and countries.

Very aware?

Meaning: concerning to him because they serve as dividers... or approving of them because they serve as dividers?

The lottery of life, man.

And you know what? My grandparents immigrated to Canada from Ukraine. They populated the prairies (Fosston, Saskatchewan) with other Ukranians and life wasn't easy. They lived in a one bedroom house having eight children. Social services took my father's baby sister. My grandfather died early.

Dad left home, fatherless, with nothing at the age of 12. He worked construction and worked hard making a life for my mother, sister and I. I don't know hardship, but my parents do. My grandparents made a sacrifice so that eventually their kids and grandchildren might lead a better life. Baba lived to 100. Died in Saskatoon about 7-8 years ago. I owe them so much.

Why tell this? I can relate to the 'work hard and make something of yourself' notion. I've seen it happen. The problem though is that I don't think the same opportunity exists for people these days. People born to the inner city... what chance do they have? What opportunities exist for them? If you're honest with yourself... you'd say "not many."
    interesting story and worth the read, opportunity is out there but sometimes it needs to be found and clear choices in judgment and action
    are the beginning of any level of success and what you are willing to work for, using blame and pointing fingers will not make your path to success shorter or easier nor will waiting for something to happen....make it happen, follow leads, make good choices and don't place blame for your misfortunes on anybody else.

Godfather, a few questions.

1. Do you believe that a developed nation like the US should aspire to ensure a basic degree of opportunity for all who are legal citizens of the country?
    2. Do you believe that the US is providing a basic degree of opportunity to all legal American citizens sufficiently?
    3. If you believe the US is providing a basic degree of opportunity sufficiently, what is that opinion based off?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited February 2017

you folks can't stand the truth when it interrupts your " poor abused black man" way of thinking, I think you all need some serious
    help....lessons in life that teach you to stop being pitiful self absorbed self described victims and learn to move forward with your thinking and emotions that you pretend to have and believe are so sensitive, you're not doing anybody any favors with your public display of pity.

Do I have to interpret his response to me by the formation of Cheerios in my cereal bowl? Or will I get a response that I don't have to contrive from my own imagination?

Seriously.
    well my friend, that was as simple and as straight forward as I could get with your question, sorry I put 'be' rather than 'He' in my answer but you know my spelling issue is common knowledge around here. LOL !

My editing skills are obviously slipping- I never noticed that small error on your part. Dammit.

With all due respect... given your comments to this point in time... my question to you is as follows: if you truly believe in God, then why are you so selective with your love for all of God's children? From what I understand, God loves and forgives all, but it seems as if you are a little hesitant to recognize the plight of many of your brothers and sisters.

Does God recognize countries and imaginary lines created by men? Or does he see humanity as a whole and every individual as part of the whole?
    God recognizes and loves all his creations, you and I included even if you are a non believer and I am faaaaar from perfect, as far as countries and borders go ? I couldn't tell you what he thinks about them but according to the Bible he is very aware of borders and countries.

Very aware?

Meaning: concerning to him because they serve as dividers... or approving of them because they serve as dividers?

And you know what? My grandparents immigrated to Canada from Ukraine. They populated the prairies (Fosston, Saskatchewan) with other Ukranians and life wasn't easy. They lived in a one bedroom house having eight children. Social services took my father's baby sister. My grandfather died early.

Dad left home, fatherless, with nothing at the age of 12. He worked construction and worked hard making a life for my mother, sister and I. I don't know hardship, but my parents do. My grandparents made a sacrifice so that eventually their kids and grandchildren might lead a better life. Baba lived to 100. Died in Saskatoon about 7-8 years ago. I owe them so much.

Why tell this? I can relate to the 'work hard and make something of yourself' notion. I've seen it happen. The problem though is that I don't think the same opportunity exists for people these days. People born to the inner city... what chance do they have? What opportunities exist for them? If you're honest with yourself... you'd say "not many."
    Blame the lack of opportunity in inner cities on lack of family values, lack of father figures with single mothers, lack of personal responsibility, poor public education system, dependence on welfare system, drug addiction, crime, the false prestige of gangster drug money. Why do some people work hard to overcome obstacles and do well for themselves, while others do not??
    Do you think continuing to blame white people, tax more, give more handouts, taking in more immigrants and refugees, and creating more government and more ineffective programs are gong to improve the situation???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    some people just don't understand, and apparently never will understand, just how truly difficult it is to overcome the circumstances that many were born into. working hard DOES NOT equal success. there are millions out there who work 100 times harder than any of us and still can't put clothes on their kids backs.

it has nothing to do with lack of family values. what does that even mean?

a guy I work with, when we were discussing his aboriginal racism, said to me "I have an aborigial friend on my hockey team, he came from the inner city, he was poor, no dad, etc, etc, but he got out and is successful. why can't the rest of them?". that is such a blatantly ignorant, but unfortunately prevalent, attitude. because 1 guy was able to beat the odds, millions of others should be able to mimic his success. sounds like white math to me.

and he's an accountant. he should know better.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Dude. I understand what you are saying. I never said that we ignore the problem that people are born into difficult life. I'm saying stop blaming everyone else for it. Change the ineffective programs. Making people dependent on government may not be the best motive to overcome the obstacles. How were you raised by your parents?? Did they teach you respect and responsibility?? Being punctual, honest, caring, etc. These would be the family values that are instilled with a strong family support. If you don't think this has any input into success of any individual, then you're crazy. We need to help people overcome the difficulties. There are plenty of people who can do better for themselves and do not take that advantage. If you don't agree with that then you must be completely biased.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Dude. I understand what you are saying. I never said that we ignore the problem that people are born into difficult life. I'm saying stop blaming everyone else for it. Change the ineffective programs. Making people dependent on government may not be the best motive to overcome the obstacles. How were you raised by your parents?? Did they teach you respect and responsibility?? Being punctual, honest, caring, etc. These would be the family values that are instilled with a strong family support. If you don't think this has any input into success of any individual, then you're crazy. We need to help people overcome the difficulties. There are plenty of people who can do better for themselves and do not take that advantage. If you don't agree with that then you must be completely biased.

I agree with most of what you said here. but part of acknowledging the problem is taking responsibilty for it. and if no one takes responsibility for it? what then? people need closure. it's part of our make-up. telling a whole group of people to "get over it" isn't going to make things better. you have to acknowledge the past at the same time as moving towards the future. and one president saying "so sorry for the generations of kidnappings and slave labour and murder and rape-our bad!" is only a beginning.

you have to understand just how difficult it is for someone, anyone, to break the cycle that they were brought up in. of course my parents taught me respect and responsbility. but they weren't born into poverty and drugs and crime and violence and magically became that way on their own. they were like that because they were taught that, and their parents were taught that, and their parents before them.........if one of my ancestors were born into slavery or systematic government oppression, even genocide, not for one second do I believe that any part of my life would the same as it is now.

are some people looking for handouts and the easy road? yep. all groups have those people. but making it seem like the entire group is like that is where the problem lies, and where they get their backs up and some see it as blaming, and the cirlce continues, and around and around we go.

and it's not just the sins of the past. it would be one thing if it was actually over. but it's not. look at standing rock. what they are doing is fucking illegal. and the government doesn't give a shit, even Obama ignored it for too long, and now Trump is endorsing it. even if it was a matter of getting over it, which it isn't, but if it was, how do you get over something that is still ocurring?

black and hispanic people being harassed by police is another one. I cannot imagine living a life where you never know if some asshole, cop or civilian, is going to threaten your life or safety. ever been bullied? that's probably, on a small scale, what it feels like for them. THEIR ENTIRE LIVES. and we have people telling them to get over it and move on?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653

some people just don't understand, and apparently never will understand, just how truly difficult it is to overcome the circumstances that many were born into. working hard DOES NOT equal success. there are millions out there who work 100 times harder than any of us and still can't put clothes on their kids backs.

a guy I work with, when we were discussing his aboriginal racism, said to me "I have an aborigial friend on my hockey team, he came from the inner city, he was poor, no dad, etc, etc, but he got out and is successful. why can't the rest of them?". that is such a blatantly ignorant, but unfortunately prevalent, attitude. because 1 guy was able to beat the odds, millions of others should be able to mimic his success. sounds like white math to me.

A lot of it has to do with want and inner drive. Not everybody has that drive inside them to succeed. Not saying that that is the one and only reason and that it will always work out, but I think it's a major one player. I've got a good friend who grew up in the inner city with no dad. His story is similar to the one you mentioned, but he said his main goal was because he wanted something better. He didn't want to settle like so many of his neighborhood friends who took the easy road and just dealt drugs or skated by or turned to crime that you so often hear about. And yes, even if you work hard and bust your butt, it may not always work out. But a lot of it is up to the individual. If you want something bad enough, you can usually make it happen. If they are busting it and it's not paying off, make a change.
  • Options
    Agreed. Just like to look at both sides of the coin, and always appreciate common sense discussion from you and others on here.
  • Options
    ponytd said:

A lot of it has to do with want and inner drive. Not everybody has that drive inside them to succeed. Not saying that that is the one and only reason and that it will always work out, but I think it's a major one player. I've got a good friend who grew up in the inner city with no dad. His story is similar to the one you mentioned, but he said his main goal was because he wanted something better. He didn't want to settle like so many of his neighborhood friends who took the easy road and just dealt drugs or skated by or turned to crime that you so often hear about. And yes, even if you work hard and bust your butt, it may not always work out. But a lot of it is up to the individual. If you want something bad enough, you can usually make it happen. If they are busting it and it's not paying off, make a change.
    you make it sound so easy. there must be millions out there who just simply don't want to make a change and are perfectly happy with a shitty life. alright then.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Who here, being white, keeping everything the same about your life, job, house, etc., would like to wake up one morning and be black for a month?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Who here, being white, keeping everything the same about your life, job, house, etc., would like to wake up one morning and be black for a month?

there's a few here whose eyes it might widen.

but no, I would not.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997

For just a month? I'd totally do it, if for no other reason just to have the experience -good or bad- would be worth it
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

For just a month? I'd totally do it, if for no other reason just to have the experience -good or bad- would be worth it
    Well, there's one.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Fortunately for me it probably wouldn't change much, except when I drove my car... actually I wouldn't get strange looks from people as my adopted children are biracial and my wife has darker skin with her part Native American heritage (Kind of harder to pick me out of the "what in the family picture doesn't look like the other"). Regardless, just trying to keep teaching my kids that skin color is only result of melanin pigment in skin cells, and they shouldn't be judged in society because of it!!
  • Options

ponytd said:

you make it sound so easy. there must be millions out there who just simply don't want to make a change and are perfectly happy with a shitty life. alright then.
    Thanks for generalizing my statement. I don't pretend to think it's easy, nor did I say it was. And I don't for one second think that I can even comprehend how much more difficult their lives are or were. What I said was, for those that have that inner determination, they tend to make it happen. I'm sure it wasn't easy. I know my friend said it wasn't, but he had his goals set on something better for himself. I'm sure there are lots of people that want and don't have a strong drive, but their will gets broken because of bad things that happen. They might give up after awhile, and that's sad.

I totally agree with you 100% on your statement that working hard does not equal success. I know plenty of people who work really hard that have made their lives better, and others who have worked even harder, but can't seem to get ahead in life. Some of it is bad luck. Some of it is not finding or given the right opportunity. Some of it is bad decision making. Everyone is different, and what works for some, may not work for others. But it's also up to the individual to seek out things and change what doesn't work. Can that work for everyone? Nope. But many it can. For those that don't have that drive or can't see the big picture, that's where opportunities need to created by programs or funding of development centers or whatever it may be to give people the tools and the desire to make their lives better.
  • Options
    ponytd said:

ponytd said:

Thanks for generalizing my statement. I don't pretend to think it's easy, nor did I say it was. And I don't for one second think that I can even comprehend how much more difficult their lives are or were. What I said was, for those that have that inner determination, they tend to make it happen. I'm sure it wasn't easy. I know my friend said it wasn't, but he had his goals set on something better for himself. I'm sure there are lots of people that want and don't have a strong drive, but their will gets broken because of bad things that happen. They might give up after awhile, and that's sad.

I totally agree with you 100% on your statement that working hard does not equal success. I know plenty of people who work really hard that have made their lives better, and others who have worked even harder, but can't seem to get ahead in life. Some of it is bad luck. Some of it is not finding or given the right opportunity. Some of it is bad decision making. Everyone is different, and what works for some, may not work for others. But it's also up to the individual to seek out things and change what doesn't work. Can that work for everyone? Nope. But many it can. For those that don't have that drive or can't see the big picture, that's where opportunities need to created by programs or funding of development centers or whatever it may be to give people the tools and the desire to make their lives better.
    I felt as if you generalized your own statement:

A lot of it has to do with want and inner drive. Not everybody has that drive inside them to succeed. Not saying that that is the one and only reason and that it will always work out, but I think it's a major one player.

I disagree with this. I don't believe want and inner drive has a lot to do with it. You obviously can't obtain success without that drive, but I don't believe that drive is a major indicator for sucess in people dealt these circumstances.

But I do agree that, I believe you said earlier, or someone did, that throwing money at it doesn't do anything. In Canada our federal government decided to just hand bags of cash over to our aboriginals and let them self-govern, with zero clue as to how to do it themselves and no support services when they inevitibly failed. the reserves are delapidated shanty towns, of course, except for the chief's accomodations. corruption knows no race or creed.

something similar to Flint, Michigan, has been happening in my neck of the woods. Shoal Lake provides Winnipeg with much, if not all, of its drinking water. We share this lake with Shoal Lake First Nation. Well, as luck (government) would have it, that first nation has been under a boil water advisory for OVER TWO DECADES. Meanwhile, Winnipeg gets its water treated and the aboriginals get the toxins. Basically, white boy built a damn that pulled fresh water away from the first nation community and steers the tainted water towards them. and they have no access road to get to the fresh water. it really is unbelievable.

but hey, as some people tend to believe, maybe they should stop living in the past and "get over it". move your community to where the fresh water is now. stop blaming people and making excuses!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

ponytd said:

ponytd said:

I felt as if you generalized your own statement:

A lot of it has to do with want and inner drive. Not everybody has that drive inside them to succeed. Not saying that that is the one and only reason and that it will always work out, but I think it's a major one player.

I disagree with this. I don't believe want and inner drive has a lot to do with it. You obviously can't obtain success without that drive, but I don't believe that drive is a major indicator for sucess in people dealt these circumstances.

But I do agree that, I believe you said earlier, or someone did, that throwing money at it doesn't do anything. In Canada our federal government decided to just hand bags of cash over to our aboriginals and let them self-govern, with zero clue as to how to do it themselves and no support services when they inevitibly failed. the reserves are delapidated shanty towns, of course, except for the chief's accomodations. corruption knows no race or creed.

something similar to Flint, Michigan, has been happening in my neck of the woods. Shoal Lake provides Winnipeg with much, if not all, of its drinking water. We share this lake with Shoal Lake First Nation. Well, as luck (government) would have it, that first nation has been under a boil water advisory for OVER TWO DECADES. Meanwhile, Winnipeg gets its water treated and the aboriginals get the toxins. Basically, white boy built a damn that pulled fresh water away from the first nation community and steers the tainted water towards them. and they have no access road to get to the fresh water. it really is unbelievable.

but hey, as some people tend to believe, maybe they should stop living in the past and "get over it". move your community to where the fresh water is now. stop blaming people and making excuses!
    Gotcha, ok. I was taking it from the inner city/just plain poor viewpoint as I per the comment I quoted, and was kinda only focused on that. (by the way, hope my response didn't come off as dickish lol. It wasn't meant to be but when I reread it, I was afraid it might). So, in a way, yeah I can see why it seemed generalized.

I think it was someone else who said you can't just throw money at it, and I'm in total agreement with that also. I feel that the government here, whether it be local or federal, does that too much too. I'm all for helping those less fortunate, but you can't just blindly throw money at them and keep doing it and then wonder why things don't change. Case in point, the situation you described. But not only did they throw money at it, they screwed them with the pollution they've added to the water supply.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    PP193448 said:

Fortunately for me it probably wouldn't change much, except when I drove my car... actually I wouldn't get strange looks from people as my adopted children are biracial and my wife has darker skin with her part Native American heritage (Kind of harder to pick me out of the "what in the family picture doesn't look like the other"). Regardless, just trying to keep teaching my kids that skin color is only result of melanin pigment in skin cells, and they shouldn't be judged in society because of it!!
    Everytime you left the house it would be different, not just in your car. I'm curious why you identified driving as the only time it'd be different?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    PP193448 said:

Seriously.

Very aware?

Blame the lack of opportunity in inner cities on lack of family values, lack of father figures with single mothers, lack of personal responsibility, poor public education system, dependence on welfare system, drug addiction, crime, the false prestige of gangster drug money. Why do some people work hard to overcome obstacles and do well for themselves, while others do not??
    Do you think continuing to blame white people, tax more, give more handouts, taking in more immigrants and refugees, and creating more government and more ineffective programs are gong to improve the situation???
    You're hitting on a lot of stereotypes here. So it's just an issue with urban blacks?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    edited February 2017
    benjs said:

Seriously.

Very aware?

interesting story and worth the read, opportunity is out there but sometimes it needs to be found and clear choices in judgment and action
    are the beginning of any level of success and what you are willing to work for, using blame and pointing fingers will not make your path to success shorter or easier nor will waiting for something to happen....make it happen, follow leads, make good choices and don't place blame for your misfortunes on anybody else.

Godfather, a few questions.

1. Do you believe that a developed nation like the US should aspire to ensure a basic degree of opportunity for all who are legal citizens of the country?
    2. Do you believe that the US is providing a basic degree of opportunity to all legal American citizens sufficiently?
    3. If you believe the US is providing a basic degree of opportunity sufficiently, what is that opinion based off?
    1) yes
    2) yes but it will get better.
    3) living in the working world for over 40 years, I've had a few different job's and two careers that I have achieved without a college degree, my folks separated and bailed on my brother and one of my sisters and I when I had just turned 18 they were younger so I took care of them
    so believe me it's possible to take care of your family and self if you try

Post edited by Godfather. on
  • Options

PP193448 said:

Everytime you left the house it would be different, not just in your car. I'm curious why you identified driving as the only time it'd be different?
    Since I've been pulled over for speeding 3 times in the past 3-5 years. May have had different interaction with police if I were not white. Other than that, I would not expect to experience any issues. Not guaranteed, but would not expect.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

Do i get to choose the month?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    edited February 2017

PP193448 said:

Seriously.

Very aware?

You're hitting on a lot of stereotypes here. So it's just an issue with urban blacks?
    I have no issue at all. Not trying to stereotype anyone. Just stating real issues that I would expect to compound the effect of limited opportunities that are available for some people to succeed in life. You cannot realistically state that race is the only factor. Nice try on your leading questions to entice me to make some rascist comment though. Move on. :lol:
    Post edited by PP193448 on
  • Options

I would.
    I would also like to be Donald Trump for a month.
  • Options

I would.
    good god. who in their right mind would want to be that guy.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I would.
    Spend millions of someone else'dollars taking trips to golf courses you own???
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

I would.
    he's a sack of excrement.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PP193448 said:

I would.
    he's a sack of excrement.
    Stop complementing him like that!!! :rofl:
  • Options

there's a few here whose eyes it might widen.

but no, I would not.
    I'd rather wake up good looking and extremely wealthy.

• Options

I would.
    instead of talking out your ass....maybe you should be Donald Trump for one month, it may widen your eye's a little.
  • Options
    Well if we get to pick who we want to be, whether black or white, I'll take Oprah.
    I'm through with screaming