Insanity or possibility?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
edited February 2017 in Lost Dogs
Guys, I went to three Pearl Jam shows in 1998. Chicago, St.Louis and Kansas City. A friend gave me his St.Louis poster about seven years ago. I am feeling the urge to complete the collection - going after the Kansas City and Chicago 98's. They don't appear to be as popular as some of the other 98's from other cities, but realize I'm probably looking at hundreds of dollars to get this done. I currently own two Black Keys posters by Chuck Sperry - of shows I didn't attend (see pics below). They are both professionally framed - with mid-grade glass and hanging wire with aluminum framing. I've seen both of these go for crazy money in the past - and have never attempted to sell posters that were already framed.

Should I attempt to sell those Keys posters to get the cash to pick up those last two remaining 98's? How do you recommend I sell them? What are your experiences shipping framed posters? LET ME BE CLEAR, I AM NOT FISHING FOR OFFERS. I DON'T PLAY THAT GAME, SO PLEASE DON'T PM ME WITH OFFERS. IF I DO DECIDE TO SELL HERE, I'LL EDIT THIS THREAD ACCORDINGLY

I've dealt with a lot of you on here and value your opinions and feedback. Talk to me!
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• That Chicago 98 has gone crazy recently, 2 sold last week for $1500 each or thereabouts on ebay. KC should be available for much less than that. In terms of selling your Sperry's, there are a number of Facebook groups for poster collectors that seem to get more traction than other places. Expressobeans is always an option for selling, especially with things as valuable as these.

Shipping framed prints is always risky. UPS and Fedex both know how to do it and how to package prints correctly, so I would always go with either of them first.
  • themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    I bought my Dallas 98 from an expressobeans seller many years ago. It was framed as well and he shipped it UPS, and I think the shipping was around $60-75, and it was very very well packed. I'd recommend that way in terms of shipping, let the pros handle it and pass the cost on to the buyer.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Those are beautiful.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    I would sell them without the frame - its not a high end frame so no one is going to pay a premium for the aluminum frame. Plus its significantly more expensive to ship.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• ultrapigultrapig South Dakota Posts: 142
    I was at the Council Bluffs show, and there was a heavy downpour before the show started. I believe many of the prints were damaged due to the guys working the merch table outside not getting them covered up in time, which has probably helped contribute to its value. Beautiful poster for a great show...I didn't take a crack at getting one at the show as I didn't want to lose my spot on the rail. Probably a little too rich for my blood, but if you decide to sell I might be interested
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited February 2017
    Black keys posters are worth a lot of money??

I'm guessing you like that run of 98 shows more than those posters..sell them!! Think of a price..offer them here..if they don't sell go to eBay. Good luck!!
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Very cool that you're wanting to do this, Chris. I absolutely love the grail KC 98 that you helped coordinate.

You'll definitely spend a lot more on shipping framed prints & some sellers may actually ask them to be removed, which seems a counterproductive to me. Those are beautiful prints & would probably sell easily. I say go for it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    You can only hang so many posters..right??? Seems like people not fucking around anymore just going after the grails!! Nice! A sign of getting older!! Fuk
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Wma31394 said:

Black keys posters are worth a lot of money??

I'm guessing you like that run of 98 shows more than those posters..sell them!! Think of a price..offer them here..if they don't sell go to eBay. Good luck!!

Sperry is the reason!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Thanks for the tips guys! I think I may start with the Kansas City 98' poster. Such a great show! They played "Footsteps". I can still hear Mike's scant and eerie guitar parts in my head....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I may start with the Kansas City 98' poster. Such a great show! They played "Footsteps". I can still hear Mike's scant and eerie guitar parts in my head....

such a great show
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    What's insane is recalling the stack of posters still available in the main foyer after the '98 Chicago show.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I remember passing on it for a shirt. It was not that great of a print then, still pretty average as far as artwork. Got one awhile back, still after many years thought it was so so. Save your money