Options

Obamacare is a mess

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:
    dignin said:
    I agree. Those two have been steadfast in standing in opposition to their party and trying to do the right thing for their constituents. And both have been threatened by fat, white Republicans from the south. What is it with these doughy hillbillies that they feel the need to challenge these strong northern women? Is it still a mason-dixon line thing? Or a bible-belt thing? Blake Farenthold threatens Collins with a duel. Buddy Carter wants to snatch a knot in their ass (whatever the fuck that hillbilly colloquialism translates to in English). 
    Haha
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    dignin said:
    McCain grew a spine, I'm happily surprised.
    i'm astounded. he bucked the party. for now.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    from out of nowhere!!!!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    i gotta admit, i was following along on twitter last night and several reporters in the press pool tweeted that they ran into mccain when he was making his way out of an elevator and into the hallway to the chamber. he was asked if he had made his decision on the bill. he said that he had. he was asked which way he will go. he replied and said "wait for the show."

i was fucking fuming because i thought he was making a joke out of the situation. i am glad that he temporarily restored my faith in him. 

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    i gotta admit, i was following along on twitter last night and several reporters in the press pool tweeted that they ran into mccain when he was making his way out of an elevator and into the hallway to the chamber. he was asked if he had made his decision on the bill. he said that he had. he was asked which way he will go. he replied and said "wait for the show."

i was fucking fuming because i thought he was making a joke out of the situation. i am glad that he temporarily restored my faith in him. 
    After seeing the show it was if he dropped the Mic then gave McConnell a stare down "take that" then walked off. Well played JM.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

After seeing the show it was if he dropped the Mic then gave McConnell a stare down "take that" then walked off. Well played JM.

Peace
    it was like something out of professional wrestling, haha

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    This thread title always cracks me the fuck up.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    g under p said:

Peace
    Nothing like a terminal illness to make a man drop the bullshit and just go with what he actually thinks is right.... Is that distasteful? Perhaps. But it's true. McCain really wouldn't have to feel like he has to butter anyone up or grease any wheels at this point in his life, since he can no longer get any farther up the ladder than he already is. This perhaps is what finally lead him to do something like this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,992
    I've mentioned before I don't think Obamacare is the root of the problem. Its the insurance and hospitals that ridiculously overcharge for their services, and that Obamacare does nothing to fix that.
    Here's my example, just got the bill from when our 7-month old spent 4 nights in the hospital.
    I looked at the itemized bill and it was..
     $1500 for each blood test they did testing for RSV, which were done in house and results were given in an hour (they did several)
    $750 a day for oxygen (x 4 days). I know I can rent a portable tank for about $20 a day.
    $2200/day for the hospital bed itself, which included nothing else
    Total hospital bill came to about $19,000.
    That did not include some of the tests or ANY of the doctor visits. Doctors billed separately. Aside from the initial visit which took about 45 minutes, the doctor came by once a morning for about 5 minutes, and billed us $250 a day (4 days = $1000).
    A few other labs were bills seperately that totaled a few thousand too.

Luckily insurance covered most of the cost. But why does a doctor charge $250 for a less than 5 minute visit, for 4 days? Why does in house blood work work cost $1500?

I'm a firm believer that the actual cost should be closer to about $5,000. And if insurance premiums werent $1800/month I could actually afford a $5000 hospital bill that came once a year.

$750 a day for oxygen is asinine. The government has stepped in when companies price gouged consumers, I think that would be far more effective than to require over-priced insurance.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    mace1229 said:
    I've mentioned before I don't think Obamacare is the root of the problem. Its the insurance and hospitals that ridiculously overcharge for their services, and that Obamacare does nothing to fix that.
    Here's my example, just got the bill from when our 7-month old spent 4 nights in the hospital.
     $1500 for each blood test they did testing for RSV, which were done in house and results were given in an hour (they did several)
    $750 a day for oxygen (x 4 days). I know I can rent a portable tank for about $20 a day.
    That did not include some of the tests or ANY of the doctor visits. Doctors billed separately. Aside from the initial visit which took about 45 minutes, the doctor came by once a morning for about 5 minutes, and billed us $250 a day (4 days = $1000).

Luckily insurance covered most of the cost. But why does a doctor charge $250 for a less than 5 minute visit, for 4 days? Why does in house blood work work cost $1500?

I'm a firm believer that the actual cost should be closer to about $5,000. And if insurance premiums werent $1800/month I could actually afford a $5000 hospital bill that came once a year.

$750 a day for oxygen is asinine. The government has stepped in when companies price gouged consumers, I think that would be far more effective than to require over-priced insurance.
    You're paying for all the people who use the hospital that don't have insurance or can't pay their bills. Hope your toddler is okay. Nothing worse than taking kids to the hospital.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,609
    mace1229 said:

You're paying for all the people who use the hospital that don't have insurance or can't pay their bills. Hope your toddler is okay. Nothing worse than taking kids to the hospital.
    Not really, but as long as we continue to place blame on the patient end, hospitals and insurance companies will keep taking us for a ride. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    edited August 2017
    mace1229 said:

You're also paying for the paradoxical nature of America's democrapitalist society - because of the free market, cost centres are permitted to charge what they'd like: medications, medical technology, medical professionals get to decide what the market rates are, and what costs to pass on. Because barriers to entry are substantial, near-monopolies exist, and raising prices to become nearly-unattainable becomes the optimal business (not moral) case.

Insurance companies come along for the ride, offering substantial savings over the out-of-pocket expenses which are only ludicrous instead of bat-shit crazy, and as the system responds to inflating cost centres with inflating price tags, so to does the insurance company (and they can still rightly claim substantial savings for customers typically over the out-of-pocket alternative). 

It seems to me that, save for the government being responsible for end-to-end medical coverage including owning all or most substantial cost centres, this is an impossible situation. Canada's situation today is suboptimal too, and by necessity we keep partaking in public-private partnerships which tend to add costs and decrease service levels. 
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mace1229 said:

curious: How much did your insurance knock the $19,000 bill down to?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,992
    edited August 2017
    Dont remember the exact amount, but it was roughly about 75% of the original bill is what they knocked it down to, of which about 6 months of premiums will cover it. My copay was about $1200 (for just the hospital portion, not even the doctor).
    So basically the hospital says its a 20k bill, but since I am insured they will only bill my insurance 15k.
    I still think $1500 for each blood work that takes 30 minutes and $750 a day for oxygen is asinine. 

As far as previous comments, uninsured are always blamed, but with far fewer uninsured the rates have only gone up.
    I think "You're also paying for the paradoxical nature of America's democrapitalist society - because of the free market, cost centres are permitted to charge what they'd like" nailed it....but with bigger words than I would use.

Drug companies charge outrageous amounts because they know they have about 10 years before the generics pop up, so they charge a small (or sometimes big) fortune while they can. I know there is years of costly research that goes into development, but we need to remember hospitals, pharma's, and everyone involved in the health industry is a for profit business that profits the more we get sick.

Humira shouldn't cost $3,000 to fill a prescription if you don't have insurance, which it does by the way. We'll see that drop to 1/10 that in a few years.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mace1229 said:

Here is who you're paying for:

http://www.fiercepharma.com/special-report/top-20-highest-paid-biopharma-ceos

• Options

Washington (CNN)When Iowa reporters asked Sen. Chuck Grassley on Wednesday about the attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare, his answer was remarkable and revealing.

"You know, I could maybe give you 10 reasons why this bill shouldn't be considered," the Iowa Republican said. "But Republicans campaigned on this so often that you have a responsibility to carry out what you said in the campaign. That's pretty much as much of a reason as the substance of the bill."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    honest? yes. disgusting? absolutely. the responsibility is not to just carry out your promise, it's to do it right, idiot. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937

Washington (CNN)When Iowa reporters asked Sen. Chuck Grassley on Wednesday about the attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare, his answer was remarkable and revealing.

"You know, I could maybe give you 10 reasons why this bill shouldn't be considered," the Iowa Republican said. "But Republicans campaigned on this so often that you have a responsibility to carry out what you said in the campaign. That's pretty much as much of a reason as the substance of the bill."
    I thought the promise was to repeal and replace with something better - not just to repeal and replace. This political landscape is ludicrous. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

I thought the promise was to repeal and replace with something better - not just to repeal and replace. This political landscape is ludicrous. 
    The republicans know their base isn't educated enough to hold them accountable. All they'll hear is that Obamacare has been repealed while completely forgetting about "replace" and "better."
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,947
    edited September 2017
    My daughter graduated from college in May.  Just got a full time job and is covered there.

I logged in to healthcare.gov to report the change to remove her from our policy.  Took about 5 minutes.  Three days later I get my allocated bill in the mail.  Premium dropped about $200/month (I was notified of this online....as soon as I indicated the change)

Simple as that.  

Thanks Obama
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My daughter graduated from college in May.  Just got a full time job and is covered there.

I logged in to healthcare.gov to report the change to remove her from our policy.  Took about 5 minutes.  Three days later I get my allocated bill in the mail.  Premium dropped about $200/month (I was notified of this online....as soon as I indicated the change)

Simple as that.  

Thanks Obama
    The people who think that private systems are more efficient and cheaper than single payer government systems are clearly people who have no experience in healthcare billing lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Did McCain just do it again?!?1
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    looks that way
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    That's what you get when you make the statements Trump made about someone who honorably served their country. I bet McCain could kick Trump's ass and would probably like to as well.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    "I cannot in good conscience vote for the Graham-Cassidy proposal," the Arizona Republican said in a statement. "I believe we could do better working together, Republicans and Democrats, and have not yet really tried. Nor could I support it without knowing how much it will cost, how it will (affect) insurance premiums, and how many people will be helped or hurt by it. Without a full CBO score, which won't be available by the end of the month, we won't have reliable answers to any of those questions."
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    That's what you get when you make the statements Trump made about someone who honorably served their country. I bet McCain could kick Trump's ass and would probably like to as well.
    I really don't think it's that though. McCain has always did what he thinks is the right thing. Sure, to us liberals his idea of the right thing is waaaay fucking off sometimes but he doesn't just make his choices based on red and blue, he makes them based on what his mind/heart believes, and that's why I've always had a hard time disliking him. I really hope we can have another election someday with as respectable candidates as Obama and McCain were.
  • Options
    Good on McCain fuck Spineless Ryan & turtle face McConnell....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Somebody needs to double tap this bill. It keeps coming back from the dead.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    This is a good to for folks on the left to acknowledge McCain and Rand Paul for doing the right thing.  Maybe they and other like them will continue to do so.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.