Options

Reading some old newsletters...

Oh to be able to buy a bunch of '98 posters for $16 each. And no real fear of them selling out while you wait for the 10C to receive your letter/check.

Isn't it funny that the best merch era did not involve craziness? I barely remember any lines for merch that summer.

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    Yah it was a little different. I'd never seen show specific posters before. I bought one at Missoula as novelty. I skipped on the Vancouver one because I thought it was too small. Seattle was sold out by the time I got there for the night 2 show. Then year later it took concerted effort to track them down :(

btw I have a theory on merch lines that extends past PJ. Historically (back in the day) we paid with cash. You'd walk up, tell the person what you wanted, pay cash, and walk away. The transaction took less than a minute. Now everyone pays with plastic which takes several minutes. I've also noticed people try stuff on or want to check it out before they pay for it. Back in the day you'd ask for your size and hope for the best. Thirdly I didn't have much money back then, so I'd buy a tshirt if the tshirts looked ok, and even sometimes I didn't have tshirt money. Now it's not an issue.

PJ wasn't the only show I saw in the summer where the merch lines weren't moving. I think we've gotten older, have more money, pay with credit cards, and are pickier about what we buy. It's caused the merch lines to gridlock :(
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited February 2017
    I do admit that for the first time ever, I did try the Letterman jacket. I'm glad that I did. The cuffs and waist were super tight.

I know that one person in my group was stuck behind someone who basically tried almost everything on. She was stuck there for an additional 20-30 minutes past the time the rest of us cashed out. It was ridiculous.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    I don't think flipping back then was as bad as it is now. People back then might by a single sticker to slap on their guitar or car,and now it's all about collecting a tour set to trade for something a few years down the road or throw it up on eBay.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Just went to The Lumineers. Probably 4 merch tables inside. 4 people to help per table. No one was in line when we came through. "I feel like I'm cheating if I haven't waited for 4 hours for merch." They looked at me as if I were nuts. "PJ merch lines."
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Zod said:

Yah it was a little different. I'd never seen show specific posters before. I bought one at Missoula as novelty. I skipped on the Vancouver one because I thought it was too small. Seattle was sold out by the time I got there for the night 2 show. Then year later it took concerted effort to track them down :(

btw I have a theory on merch lines that extends past PJ. Historically (back in the day) we paid with cash. You'd walk up, tell the person what you wanted, pay cash, and walk away. The transaction took less than a minute. Now everyone pays with plastic which takes several minutes. I've also noticed people try stuff on or want to check it out before they pay for it. Back in the day you'd ask for your size and hope for the best. Thirdly I didn't have much money back then, so I'd buy a tshirt if the tshirts looked ok, and even sometimes I didn't have tshirt money. Now it's not an issue.

PJ wasn't the only show I saw in the summer where the merch lines weren't moving. I think we've gotten older, have more money, pay with credit cards, and are pickier about what we buy. It's caused the merch lines to gridlock :(

ah...the good old days!! I remember seeing the lines at PJ20 and couldn't believe it. we decided to skip the merch & went inside...no lines inside whatsoever. Grabbed what we wanted & headed over to the UPS on-site store, which was a great idea in theory....

The posters were lost. Eventually, they located them after constant calls and they arrived 3-4 weeks later.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Yeah i guess it being pre-ebay had a lot to do with it. It was just a nicer time to not be surrounded by the people with $$$$ in their eyes and instead see everyone focused on other things. The '14 ACL popup shop is the only PJ merch line ive stood in and it sucked.

But yeah those old newsletters make me wish i had bought more posters to decorate the music room. Ames was great back then.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    I feel like the merch madness began in 2004ish, as the first time I recall seeing lines was at The VIC in 07, and then all the BS with MSG, PJ20, Wrigley and NINERSFAN.....I think the band really started limiting things around this time as well.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I never gave a shit about merch back in the day- I barely had enough money to get in. Those were the days. The only things that mattered were being there and the music.......
  • Options

I never gave a shit about merch back in the day- I barely had enough money to get in. Those were the days. The only things that mattered were being there and the music.......

yup
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

That's how its for a many fans nowadays too...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited February 2017
    There was a time when saving the ticket stub and a t-shirt was enough merch for me. That changed quickly in 2005. Oddly, I think after a while the collection may return to just some tickets stubs and a few t-shirts.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I've been mulling over selling my vinyl for about a month now. Not just the PJ stuff - everything.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I think i bought one shirt total the entire 98 tour---the jersey in my sig. and two posters (one that i traded for a few bootleg cassettes. Oops)
  • Options

I've been mulling over selling my vinyl for about a month now. Not just the PJ stuff - everything.

I think I may be unloading some of mine as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited February 2017

I just got tired of all the "stuff" laying around taking up space. I spent more time thinking about how much it was worth and if I should sell it or hang onto it that it was time to get rid of it. It skyrockets in value later on so be it. I still have the Benny, but got rid of all the vinyl that was worth anything.