Options

Honest Question

Why do so many people feel/want/need/ PJ or EV to do some anti-Trump/generational song? It's starting to be all over the place here on the boards. I get we all have opinions, but it's almost ridiculous now that this is what everybody needs from this band. A political statement for everyone else's beliefs? Maybe they will or maybe they won't, who knows. I can already see it now, they bring out a new album and don't say shit and that's gonna piss people off, they do say shit and that's gonna piss people off. Why does PJ/EV have to be your voice? Just a sincere question. Is there no other bands you like that can do the exact same thing that probably already are? (not starting a fight here, just curious)
1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2017
    My guess is that because many people are too fucking stupefied to exercise their own voices.

To those, I can only say flood the damn phone lines of your government representatives. It takes maybe 5 minutes. If you have the free time, stand outside their offices and voice your concerns. Hell, stand outside their houses (just not on their property).

And when the midterm elections come around, get out and destroy these fuckers.

Waiting around for some rock and roll band to sing something about it is just that. Waiting.

Of course, there's plenty of room by that sparse tree to join those fools Vladimir and Estragon and sigh that there's "nothing to be done." But that serves no one and no purpose at all.

My two cents.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I think there are a few reasons. One could be that they want the return of angst-driven music. Over the last 8 years I've seen a lot of negativity towards Backspacer and Lightning Bolt. I guess those records are just too happy for some folks (I personally love both).

Another reason is that some people just need that confirmation. I'm not sure why; it's not like we can't guess what Ed's thoughts are on the current administration. But some people just need to cheer it on like a game winning home run or something.

And finally, there are a few folks over on AMT that truly believe and support Trump and his policies and some others that are just being flat-out trolls. Perhaps some folks in opposition are just waiting to pull the "Why are you on a PJ forum when you don't agree with their views" card.

I just want Wrigley bootlegs.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    Because bush era PJ was so much better than obama era.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Wobbie said:

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Wobbie said:

Clinton era PJ was better than Bush era PJ. A republican President doesn't necessarily mean better music.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2017
    I don't think anyone should push anyone else to deliver messengers about whatever for them. People should only speak for themselves and their own beliefs.
    Politics is also such a sensitive subject for many.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    I don't think people want to speak through the band. What does it hurt to have them bring back covers like masters of war and gimme some truth combined with a badass new album that points out trumps idiocy?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place