Options

SPORT... a political beast or simply fun and games???

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140

It's only political if you choose or want it to be so. Sport is recreation to me anyway. I've played my whole life and continue to play and coach now in my 30's, and never thought it even could be political until I saw this thread. OP you say you land on one side of the debate, but is this even a debate people have?

No kid wants to play sports so they can get into politics, no one I've played with or coached anyway.

who said anyting about kids playing sport to get into politics?

and yes people have this debate.

and yes i agree sport IS recreation to just about everyone who does it. however that doesnt mean their are no political underpinnnings to sport.

horse racing isnt called the sport of kings for no reason.
    I get you, fair enough, but I still think at its heart it's not political, it's recreational. Anything can be considered political at the international level, but I just don't see it that way until people politicize it. If you want to politicize chess, of course you can! but it's a game as well. I was doing yoga for a few hours today and was thinking about this a lot and I still didn't feel like I was doing anything political.
    im not speaking internationally here. im speaking of when sports were at their developmental level. though these days sport is used as a pawn when one country chucks a tantrum over something or other... my favourite was when russia boycotted the LA olympics saying at the tie it wasnt because the US had boycotted moscow. that kept me amused for weeks... actually come to think of it im still amused 33 years later. in ancient greece women werent allowed to watch sport cause the men played them in the nude... aside from the homo eroticism involved in that, do you not think it gender bias that women were excluded from not only participation but from spectating. there are so many instances throughout history of women being excluded from sport for often dumbarse reasons. not to mention sports divided along class and racial lines. even where you lived could determine the sport you play and those you were excluded from or considered inferior at. all these acts are political. over time theyve become invisible to those who view(more often than not subconsciouslessly) culture through the prism of the white patriarchy, you may scoff and call bullshit and insist you playing the sports you do is for fun and recreation, and ive no doubt that to be true... however its there nonetheless.

Hey where are you from if you don't me asking? I was guessing Australia for some reason, maybe the rugby made me think it? But it is played a lot of places. You said scrum and dumbarse, and spelled favorite with a u though so I'm also thinking Europe.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I don't watch much anymore because I think they are designed to distract.

So the NFL, MLB, NHL, and nascar are all pawns of the government used to distract us dumb folk from the goings on of the world?
    TV is called programming for a few reasons.

Have you guys been under a rock?

The NFL admitted to taking payments from the govt to let them advertise at events, all of those flyovers, all of those special soldiers on the field... Kinda makes you forget about those weddings that got hit by drone strikes.

haha, oh please. it's called programming because the very definition of the word is "to schedule".

yes, of course american sports have been infiltrated by the government's mandate to recruit soldiers. I always have said how odd it is that no one questions:

-military at sporting events
    -singing the national anthems before playing a game

the two just don't go together for me. But, I also have zero patriotism, so it makes sense that it doesn't jive for me. But people just eat it up like it's no big thing.

and as gimme mentoined above, I always laugh when there's a beef between countries, politically or militarily, and the response from the west is always "FINE, then we won't play soccer with you in 2 years!".
    What type of spoon do you prefer to be fed by?
    I prefer an overlord spoon myself, but I will accept a commie spoon or a statist spoon if I have to.
    It is funny that you mock and have nothing to disprove it. You are in a group here where govt does no wrong, unless it is a Republican, and that life is perfect when your dear leader is in charge. In the end the spoon type is irrelevant because you just keep asking for more.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

So the NFL, MLB, NHL, and nascar are all pawns of the government used to distract us dumb folk from the goings on of the world?

The NFL admitted to taking payments from the govt to let them advertise at events, all of those flyovers, all of those special soldiers on the field... Kinda makes you forget about those weddings that got hit by drone strikes.

haha, oh please. it's called programming because the very definition of the word is "to schedule".

yes, of course american sports have been infiltrated by the government's mandate to recruit soldiers. I always have said how odd it is that no one questions:

the two just don't go together for me. But, I also have zero patriotism, so it makes sense that it doesn't jive for me. But people just eat it up like it's no big thing.

and as gimme mentoined above, I always laugh when there's a beef between countries, politically or militarily, and the response from the west is always "FINE, then we won't play soccer with you in 2 years!".
    What type of spoon do you prefer to be fed by?
    I prefer an overlord spoon myself, but I will accept a commie spoon or a statist spoon if I have to.
    It is funny that you mock and have nothing to disprove it. You are in a group here where govt does no wrong, unless it is a Republican, and that life is perfect when your dear leader is in charge. In the end the spoon type is irrelevant because you just keep asking for more.
    What else would you expect from a bootlicker?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Actually I expect nothing.

Let's have an experiment. You run your policies the way you want to. Just don't force me to fund them.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Actually I expect nothing.

Let's have an experiment. You run your policies the way you want to. Just don't force me to fund them.

What are you ok paying for?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Depends on the level. Federally? Minimal. If it isn't part of Art 1 Sec VIII of the Constitution I don't want anything to do with it.

If I could I would opt out of SS and fund an IRA with that money. Government isn't supposed to be in charge of retirement plans, healthcare, subsidizing every third world person that claims to be a refugee, muh roads, etc...

Been through this many many times.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

unsung said:

unsung said:

Are you debating as an American mind with this comment?
    Or are you speaking as a Canadian in realtime?
    I only speak with my own mind.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    unsung said:

Depends on the level. Federally? Minimal. If it isn't part of Art 1 Sec VIII of the Constitution I don't want anything to do with it.

If I could I would opt out of SS and fund an IRA with that money. Government isn't supposed to be in charge of retirement plans, healthcare, subsidizing every third world person that claims to be a refugee, muh roads, etc...

every man, woman and child for themselves. such a nice way to live your life.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

unsung said:

How do you arrive at that answer based on what I said?
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

How do you arrive at that answer based on what I said?
    it is based on that and many of your other posts.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I find it strange that not only do I need to work to pay my bills and fund my retirement but that there people such as yourself that want to force me to do the same for others.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    It's time to get off the personal bickering and take every thread back to its topic. Thanks.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    unsung said:

I find it strange that not only do I need to work to pay my bills and fund my retirement but that there people such as yourself that want to force me to do the same for others.

I just want to contribute to society, not my own wealth. that's just me.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Kat said:

It's time to get off the personal bickering and take every thread back to its topic. Thanks.

oh, come on Kat! it's Friday!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

unsung said:

I help society as I do make donations. I could make more if I weren't forced to under threat of imprisonment for things I do not support.

But yes, back on topic. I hope your team makes many points to win the contest it is participating in.

Have a good Friday.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I'm not very sure what this thread is about but i'm thinking that some people really really loves sports and almost live for it. Must it be mixed with politics?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I don't think sports, at their core, are politically charged but they can be (and are) often used as a device for political awareness/corruption. Whether it be by athletes themselves, governing bodies, or actual governments. That's not why I tune in, however. I watch only for the sport. My three favorite sports possibly have the most nationally diverse pools of athletes (baseball, hockey, tennis) but I have never cheered or jeered a team or athlete based on nationality or the politics of their home country. It's the farthest thought from my mind. It's only a game; be competitive but have some fun.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

I help society as I do make donations. I could make more if I weren't forced to under threat of imprisonment for things I do not support.

But yes, back on topic. I hope your team makes many points to win the contest it is participating in.

Have a good Friday.
    not really a sports guy. except MMA.

you too unsung!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

I don't think sports, at their core, are politically charged but they can be (and are) often used as a device for political awareness/corruption. Whether it be by athletes themselves, governing bodies, or actual governments. That's not why I tune in, however. I watch only for the sport. My three favorite sports possibly have the most nationally diverse pools of athletes (baseball, hockey, tennis) but I have never cheered or jeered a team or athlete based on nationality or the politics of their home country. It's the farthest thought from my mind. It's only a game; be competitive but have some fun.

Good post. I enjoy many forms of entertainment for their, wait for it... entertainment value. Music, film, TV, sports, art in general aren't by their nature political. All can become political. If we're only focusing on national teams and Olympic sports, then politics obviously play a big role. But sports in general? Nope.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited February 2017
    I think politics are fair game no matter what the platform. Someone wants to bring politics into sports, great. Go for it. That's what freedom of speech is about, right? As long as the people speaking are allowed to do so under their contract, I really don't give a shit. Sports can be fun and games and still be used by whoever as a political platform. The two aren't mutually exclusive IMO. Giant gatherings of people or huge TV audiences make sports a perfect political platform, so more power to those who take advantage of that. And I don't give a shit about people who don't like it, frankly. I feel the same when it comes to musicians who use the stage to make political statements. I couldn't care less about the fans who don't want to hear it. Tough shit.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

It's only political if you choose or want it to be so. Sport is recreation to me anyway. I've played my whole life and continue to play and coach now in my 30's, and never thought it even could be political until I saw this thread. OP you say you land on one side of the debate, but is this even a debate people have?

No kid wants to play sports so they can get into politics, no one I've played with or coached anyway.

who said anyting about kids playing sport to get into politics?

and yes people have this debate.

and yes i agree sport IS recreation to just about everyone who does it. however that doesnt mean their are no political underpinnnings to sport.

horse racing isnt called the sport of kings for no reason.
    I get you, fair enough, but I still think at its heart it's not political, it's recreational. Anything can be considered political at the international level, but I just don't see it that way until people politicize it. If you want to politicize chess, of course you can! but it's a game as well. I was doing yoga for a few hours today and was thinking about this a lot and I still didn't feel like I was doing anything political.
    im not speaking internationally here. im speaking of when sports were at their developmental level. though these days sport is used as a pawn when one country chucks a tantrum over something or other... my favourite was when russia boycotted the LA olympics saying at the tie it wasnt because the US had boycotted moscow. that kept me amused for weeks... actually come to think of it im still amused 33 years later. in ancient greece women werent allowed to watch sport cause the men played them in the nude... aside from the homo eroticism involved in that, do you not think it gender bias that women were excluded from not only participation but from spectating. there are so many instances throughout history of women being excluded from sport for often dumbarse reasons. not to mention sports divided along class and racial lines. even where you lived could determine the sport you play and those you were excluded from or considered inferior at. all these acts are political. over time theyve become invisible to those who view(more often than not subconsciouslessly) culture through the prism of the white patriarchy, you may scoff and call bullshit and insist you playing the sports you do is for fun and recreation, and ive no doubt that to be true... however its there nonetheless.

Hey where are you from if you don't me asking? I was guessing Australia for some reason, maybe the rugby made me think it? But it is played a lot of places. You said scrum and dumbarse, and spelled favorite with a u though so I'm also thinking Europe.
    Australia. :)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say