SPORT... a political beast or simply fun and games???

it will come as no surprise to some of you that i come down on the sport is a political beast side of this argument. im curious about what you all think on the subject.
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say

Comments

• For me, sport is a big part of my family's life.

Entertainment. Recreation. Health.

Beats sitting around, CNN, Trump's twitter feeds, and reality television.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    The personal is political?

And not sure if you are mostly referring to professional sport or individuals playing sport. If you mean professional sport, then definitely. Political capital is made from that all the time.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • The personal is political?

And not sure if you are mostly referring to professional sport or individuals playing sport. If you mean professional sport, then definitely. Political capital is made from that all the time.

I think they are connected though- at various levels.

If you are passionate about your sport, it's only natural you follow it at the highest level (at least to some degree).

And yes... politics has its filthy hand in sport. It does in anything high profile- look at the music industry.
    The two sports that I mostly engage in, I do so because I love them. I don't follow them at the "highest level", or really any level. I just enjoy my participation. That was what I meant by personal. Of course, neither are really high profile anyway, so there's that.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

it will come as no surprise to some of you that i come down on the sport is a political beast side of this argument. im curious about what you all think on the subject.

to me it becomes political when it reaches the international stage. but I'm not sure if there's any validity to it on the regional. but I'd be open to reading about it, as I may not be understanding your question fully.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I don't watch much anymore because I think they are designed to distract.
    unsung said:

distract from what? and who is designing it?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsung said:

Man... you're pretty much goin with one theme these days, Unsung.

We get it... the government lies to us. But we're not going to be displaced from our homes any time soon and we all get to eat, drink, and be merry.

What would you have everyone do? What do you want to see from people that would make your world perfect?
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,139
    It's only political if you choose or want it to be so. Sport is recreation to me anyway. I've played my whole life and continue to play and coach now in my 30's, and never thought it even could be political until I saw this thread. OP you say you land on one side of the debate, but is this even a debate people have?

No kid wants to play sports so they can get into politics, no one I've played with or coached anyway.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    it is absolutely political. us boycotting russian olympics, russia missing 1980 us olympics, munich massacre, iran banning us wrestling team later this year. sports on the international level are good for a few things.

1. stoking nationalistic emotions
    2. creating rivalries or stoking tensions between countries.
    3. can be used to push an agenda or can be used as a stage to protest something, etc.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

absolutely the personal is political. much like religion, without people there is no politics.

YOU RUN LIKE A GIRL...

lets think about that statement for a minute.

hands up if you dont think there is anything inherently wrong with that statement. hands up if you think its a compliment and is used as such? sorry, but if your hand is up you are mistaken. oh and your gender bias is showing.

sport has always had a very important role in the construction of masculinity. males that didnt play sports, or as is the case these days, watch sports were, and no doubt in a lot of places, still are seen as not quite as manly as those who spend their saturday afternoons with their head in a scrum or cheering those with their head in a scrum. females on the other hand seen historically as fragile and constrained by society's desire for them to be ladylike(whetever the hell that means) were not encouraged to play physical sports. they were restricted to calisthenics and tennis as a social pursuit rather than a competitive one. i know a lot has change since the days when these opinions held sway but it can not be denied that womens sport has never had equal standing with mens sport and this is manifested today with less media coverage, inferior sporting status and yes less prize money.

when i was much younger, around 11 years old or so it was my desire to one day play rugby league. now truth be told, i had only ever seen males play but that didnt stop me from not only wanting to play, but thinking that i could play with the boys... that i had every right to play. i voiced this desire to a grown up and was told girls dont play footy, but you can be a cheerleader. i thought that was total bullshit... why the heck would i want to be a cheerleader. and more importantly how is that even an alternative??? this incident was one of the defining moments of my gender politics education. i had no doubt i was just as good as the boys and i often proved it(to myself) by frequently beating my brother in goal kicking practice and general footy pick up games. in my mind and my very being, i never ran like a girl... i ran like the footy player i was as i sprinted down the field. however society had already deemed by virtue of me being female i couldnt play with the males... that i was too fragile, that girls dont play footy.. footy is a boys sport and in my stll developing mind the more physcally demanding sports are for boys. NO GIRLS ALLOWED. of course things changed over time and now girls playing rugby league in mixed junior teams is nothing out of the ordinary and we now have a national team. though womens teams in traditionally 'male' sports are often dismissed as novelty.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    unsung said:

agree. how many times have you heard someone whine oh man cant we just watch the game? when someone wants to bring up something other than RBI or touchdown or scrums won or whatever.. turning sport into spectacle IS distraction. if 'we' make them focus on something else then we can squeeze them other ways and they will come to see those moments when theyre absorbed by a bunch of overpaid sport stars as an escape from their dull monotonous lives. they wont even notice as we chip away at their fundamental rights. and over time theyll become complacent and subordinate but thank goodness theyll have their sport.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

It's only political if you choose or want it to be so. Sport is recreation to me anyway. I've played my whole life and continue to play and coach now in my 30's, and never thought it even could be political until I saw this thread. OP you say you land on one side of the debate, but is this even a debate people have?

No kid wants to play sports so they can get into politics, no one I've played with or coached anyway.

who said anyting about kids playing sport to get into politics?

and yes people have this debate.

and yes i agree sport IS recreation to just about everyone who does it. however that doesnt mean their are no political underpinnnings to sport.

horse racing isnt called the sport of kings for no reason.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • unsung said:

So the NFL, MLB, NHL, and nascar are all pawns of the government used to distract us dumb folk from the goings on of the world?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

it is absolutely political. us boycotting russian olympics, russia missing 1980 us olympics, munich massacre, iran banning us wrestling team later this year. sports on the international level are good for a few things.

1. stoking nationalistic emotions
    2. creating rivalries or stoking tensions between countries.
    3. can be used to push an agenda or can be used as a stage to protest something, etc.

Dang, that looks like something that I would type.
    edited February 2017

unsung said:

So the NFL, MLB, NHL, and nascar are all pawns of the government used to distract us dumb folk from the goings on of the world?
    TV is called programming for a few reasons.

Have you guys been under a rock?

The NFL admitted to taking payments from the govt to let them advertise at events, all of those flyovers, all of those special soldiers on the field... Kinda makes you forget about those weddings that got hit by drone strikes.

Post edited by unsung on
  • Smh. So the government is paying for advertising. We must all be hypnotized.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    unsung said:

unsung said:

The NFL admitted to taking payments from the govt to let them advertise at events, all of those flyovers, all of those special soldiers on the field... Kinda makes you forget about those weddings that got hit by drone strikes.

haha, oh please. it's called programming because the very definition of the word is "to schedule".

yes, of course american sports have been infiltrated by the government's mandate to recruit soldiers. I always have said how odd it is that no one questions:

-military at sporting events
    -singing the national anthems before playing a game

the two just don't go together for me. But, I also have zero patriotism, so it makes sense that it doesn't jive for me. But people just eat it up like it's no big thing.

and as gimme mentoined above, I always laugh when there's a beef between countries, politically or militarily, and the response from the west is always "FINE, then we won't play soccer with you in 2 years!".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

unsung said:

haha, oh please. it's called programming because the very definition of the word is "to schedule".

yes, of course american sports have been infiltrated by the government's mandate to recruit soldiers. I always have said how odd it is that no one questions:

the two just don't go together for me. But, I also have zero patriotism, so it makes sense that it doesn't jive for me. But people just eat it up like it's no big thing.

and as gimme mentoined above, I always laugh when there's a beef between countries, politically or militarily, and the response from the west is always "FINE, then we won't play soccer with you in 2 years!".
    What type of spoon do you prefer to be fed by?
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

thank you for that wildly informative and well thought out post.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

The silver one I should have been born with. Thanks for asking.

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

that's hilarious. that was pretty much exactly what I was going to respond with.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Not gold like the guy who sits in the Oval Office?

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

a golden spoon in his mouth and a golden shitter on his ass.

gold in.....gold out.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and yes i agree sport IS recreation to just about everyone who does it. however that doesnt mean their are no political underpinnnings to sport.

I get you, fair enough, but I still think at its heart it's not political, it's recreational. Anything can be considered political at the international level, but I just don't see it that way until people politicize it. If you want to politicize chess, of course you can! but it's a game as well. I was doing yoga for a few hours today and was thinking about this a lot and I still didn't feel like I was doing anything political.

absolutely the personal is political. much like religion, without people there is no politics.

YOU RUN LIKE A GIRL...

lets think about that statement for a minute.

hands up if you dont think there is anything inherently wrong with that statement. hands up if you think its a compliment and is used as such? sorry, but if your hand is up you are mistaken. oh and your gender bias is showing.

sport has always had a very important role in the construction of masculinity. males that didnt play sports, or as is the case these days, watch sports were, and no doubt in a lot of places, still are seen as not quite as manly as those who spend their saturday afternoons with their head in a scrum or cheering those with their head in a scrum. females on the other hand seen historically as fragile and constrained by society's desire for them to be ladylike(whetever the hell that means) were not encouraged to play physical sports. they were restricted to calisthenics and tennis as a social pursuit rather than a competitive one. i know a lot has change since the days when these opinions held sway but it can not be denied that womens sport has never had equal standing with mens sport and this is manifested today with less media coverage, inferior sporting status and yes less prize money.

when i was much younger, around 11 years old or so it was my desire to one day play rugby league. now truth be told, i had only ever seen males play but that didnt stop me from not only wanting to play, but thinking that i could play with the boys... that i had every right to play. i voiced this desire to a grown up and was told girls dont play footy, but you can be a cheerleader. i thought that was total bullshit... why the heck would i want to be a cheerleader. and more importantly how is that even an alternative??? this incident was one of the defining moments of my gender politics education. i had no doubt i was just as good as the boys and i often proved it(to myself) by frequently beating my brother in goal kicking practice and general footy pick up games. in my mind and my very being, i never ran like a girl... i ran like the footy player i was as i sprinted down the field. however society had already deemed by virtue of me being female i couldnt play with the males... that i was too fragile, that girls dont play footy.. footy is a boys sport and in my stll developing mind the more physcally demanding sports are for boys. NO GIRLS ALLOWED. of course things changed over time and now girls playing rugby league in mixed junior teams is nothing out of the ordinary and we now have a national team. though womens teams in traditionally 'male' sports are often dismissed as novelty.
    You sound kinda angry, I'm not going near this issue! Let them play if they want to play, and may the best man & woman start on their team!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

a golden spoon in his mouth and a golden shitter on his ass.

gold in.....gold out.
    that's a very streamlined approach. I like it. Haha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

I get you, fair enough, but I still think at its heart it's not political, it's recreational. Anything can be considered political at the international level, but I just don't see it that way until people politicize it. If you want to politicize chess, of course you can! but it's a game as well. I was doing yoga for a few hours today and was thinking about this a lot and I still didn't feel like I was doing anything political.
    im not speaking internationally here. im speaking of when sports were at their developmental level. though these days sport is used as a pawn when one country chucks a tantrum over something or other... my favourite was when russia boycotted the LA olympics saying at the tie it wasnt because the US had boycotted moscow. that kept me amused for weeks... actually come to think of it im still amused 33 years later. in ancient greece women werent allowed to watch sport cause the men played them in the nude... aside from the homo eroticism involved in that, do you not think it gender bias that women were excluded from not only participation but from spectating. there are so many instances throughout history of women being excluded from sport for often dumbarse reasons. not to mention sports divided along class and racial lines. even where you lived could determine the sport you play and those you were excluded from or considered inferior at. all these acts are political. over time theyve become invisible to those who view(more often than not subconsciouslessly) culture through the prism of the white patriarchy, you may scoff and call bullshit and insist you playing the sports you do is for fun and recreation, and ive no doubt that to be true... however its there nonetheless.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • unsung said:

unsung said:

Are you debating as an American mind with this comment?
    Or are you speaking as a Canadian in realtime?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I prefer an overlord spoon myself, but I will accept a commie spoon or a statist spoon if I have to.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?