Options

Creepy/Weird guy at the gym

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    hedonist said:

What is to report? Guy chats with you, you're not into it. Say as much. Speaking your mind with honesty and maybe kindness too isn't tantamount to being an asshole.

Wish I knew what else to say beyond some good and sage advice given here. And really, no need to let your mind lead you on those "what if" roads. I recall you being down them before. Surely there are some coping methods at hand.

It's really OK to stand up for yourself when warranted. Give it a go. The first step may be the hardest but it's also the most necessary.

And it's part of this life.

So go get 'em.

The fact that out of a whole room full of treadmills to choose from he chooses the one next to me.
    Doesn't that just sound creepy?
    Noone does that at the gym, people like their personal space.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited February 2017
    Thoughts Arrive,

No disrespect but it seems as though when you have a complication and you ask for advice, everything anyone suggest will never work. There is always a list of why things won't work. (Not just this situation.)

It seems that this guy scares you to death. You are afraid that roid rage, meth rage or his hot pot of crazy will whoop your ass and I'm sorry for that. Your gym experience shouldn't be like that. You shouldn't have to look over your shoulder as you are working out. Ultimately, change is up to you since he just doesn't get it.

Headphones might be an easy place to start. You don't even have to listen to music. Just looking like you are using them will deter most people.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

• Options
    Get a gym restraining order lol :lol:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485

Are you that good-looking?

Who needs a creepy dude at the gym making weird comments when you can have a dude on a Pearl Jam message board making equally creepy comments and taking your situation lightly?

Who needs a creepy dude at the gym making weird comments when you can have a dude on a Pearl Jam message board making equally creepy comments and taking your situation lightly?
    No discouragement intended. I think the depression may be the root concern, if that was gone maybe you could see more of the humorous side of the story. Maybe even make a friend.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735

Creepy/Weird that always tries to chat with me comes and uses the treadmill next to me at the gym when there are 10 other treadmills to choose from and tries to have a chat with me. "Do you like Football (Aussie Rules)/Soccer?" (I lied and said NO to both sports questions to try and end the conversation) "Do you watch Married at first sight?" "Fucking Lesbians they make me sick" "I've been here for 4 hours, you know, to get the blood up"

That was some of what went on the other day.
    I was alone in the treadmill room in the gym and he comes next to me. He also kept checking out my screen to see what pace I was running and at the end of his run he said he could do better, like as if he was competing with me.
    Previously he always says hi and wants to chat, he does this to other people to.

Should I be worried? Report him to management?

Is his name Ani?
    :rofl: this was my first thought as well.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    Why had nobody stated the obvious? You're at the gym, so start lifting then kick his ass next time he creeps up on you.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Headphones are easy. Get a pair of ear buds for like 2 dollars. Hook it up to whatever portable device you have music on. If not, just run the cord into your pocket
  • Options
    Malroth said:

No discouragement intended. I think the depression may be the root concern, if that was gone maybe you could see more of the humorous side of the story. Maybe even make a friend.
    What are you talking about?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    headphones are a good idea but i think you should definitely mention it to a manger. maybe he has done this to someone else and has been reported before. a good manager will at least keep their eye on the guy if they feel something might be up. i say mention it.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    edited February 2017
    My suggestion for OP is to move to another treadmill as soon as he does this. Maybe say something like, "excuse me but I find it easier to work out by myself." Then, if he tried to move to another treadmill near you it would be possible to make a complaint. He would be deliberately following you.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The fact that someone is trying to have a conversation with someone else that is already on a treadmill is psychotic.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    headphones...if that doesn't work, ask him to leave you alone politely. if that doesn't work, go to the manager.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    or you could be better than the rest of us and talk to him for a bit ...
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    polaris_x said:

Honesty, how is it possible to have a conversation in the middle of a run on a treadmill?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited February 2017
    Fight fire with fire. Ask him if he wants to see the collection of Barbie doll heads in your locker. Maybe if you act creepier than him, he will avoid you.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    OP, are you male or female?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :lol::rofl:

The responses in here! I love you guys!

TA I hope you know we are all here to help you through this even if you don't find some responses funny. Sometimes laughter is key and everyone's wit around here :rofl:

We have always been taught - if you see anything suspicious, report it.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    JK_Livin said:

polaris_x said:

Honesty, how is it possible to have a conversation in the middle of a run on a treadmill?
    100% true. My wife called me while I was on the elliptical and I got maybe two words out lol.
    Headphones are key and very cheap. Or move to another machine. Or if he comes over while you are running stop and go to abs/lift or circuit train. You can always go back to running, just keep that heart rate up!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Tell him you only have ears for President Trump and start running.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JK_Livin said:

polaris_x said:

It's very possible and very good for your lungs! I love having someone to talk to during a run, as long as it is someone I enjoy talking to lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Malroth said:

I am feeling fine, that's not the issue here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

headphones are a good idea but i think you should definitely mention it to a manger. maybe he has done this to someone else and has been reported before. a good manager will at least keep their eye on the guy if they feel something might be up. i say mention it.

How to point him out is the question, I might have to get the manager to follow me to him and me give a signal of some sort haha
  • Options

Creepy/Weird that always tries to chat with me comes and uses the treadmill next to me at the gym when there are 10 other treadmills to choose from and tries to have a chat with me. "Do you like Football (Aussie Rules)/Soccer?" (I lied and said NO to both sports questions to try and end the conversation) "Do you watch Married at first sight?" "Fucking Lesbians they make me sick" "I've been here for 4 hours, you know, to get the blood up"

That was some of what went on the other day.
    I was alone in the treadmill room in the gym and he comes next to me. He also kept checking out my screen to see what pace I was running and at the end of his run he said he could do better, like as if he was competing with me.
    Previously he always says hi and wants to chat, he does this to other people to.

Should I be worried? Report him to management?

Is his name Ani?
    :rofl: this was my first thought as well.
    I don't get it.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

The fact that someone is trying to have a conversation with someone else that is already on a treadmill is psychotic.

Sarcastic or?
  • Options
    KC138045 said:

I like that LOL
This discussion has been closed.