Options

American Football

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
I am an Aussie, I don't fully understand the rules of the game.
I watched the Superbowl yesterday and enjoyed the game, was exciting and the comeback by NE was great.
I am hoping to get into the sport, maybe the more I watch it the more I will understand it.
Anyways, as I don't follow a team, who should I pick to follow?

New England
Seattle
Green Bay

I like the Seattle colours and the fact I don't follow any team from Seattle, I love Seattle for the bands from there!
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Funny you mention this. When I was a kid, we used to get Aussie Rules on one of the cable channels. I used to love watching that. I followed Collingwood because I thought Magpies was a funny nickname. I didn't even know what a magpie was. (Hope that doesn't incite any ire, I was just a kid, haha!)
  • Options

Funny you mention this. When I was a kid, we used to get Aussie Rules on one of the cable channels. I used to love watching that. I followed Collingwood because I thought Magpies was a funny nickname. I didn't even know what a magpie was. (Hope that doesn't incite any ire, I was just a kid, haha!)

You picked the team everyone loves to hate haha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

Are you talking about Prime Sports (early version of Fox Sports regional networks) here in America? I used to watch that every weekend with my dad growing up for Aussie football. I enjoy that much more than the American version. I never had a team though, however I did very much enjoy the refs motion when the ball would get kicked through the uprights.
  • Options

Are you talking about Prime Sports (early version of Fox Sports regional networks) here in America? I used to watch that every weekend with my dad growing up for Aussie football. I enjoy that much more than the American version. I never had a team though, however I did very much enjoy the refs motion when the ball would get kicked through the uprights.
    I don't recall but that very well could have been it. It would come on very late at night over one of the network stations. Used to get the Sunshine Network out of Florida the same way.
  • Options

You picked the team everyone loves to hate haha
    Hahaha, that figures! I have a knack for going against the grain, even when it's unintentional.
  • Options
    Follow the New England Patriots. What they have been doing for the past 16 years has been history in the making and will never be duplicated ever again in the history of sports.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options

Follow the New England Patriots. What they have been doing for the past 16 years has been history in the making and will never be duplicated ever again in the history of sports.

But after their dynasty ends then what? Which is the next team to rise up?
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Just start watching more games and you'll find a team you like.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    More important than which team you choose to like (there must be some team/city/name you can make a connection with that is your own) is which team you choose to hate.
    Suggestion #1
    Be sure to wipe your rear end with Cowboys.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Green Bay because it's located and run in a city of 100k people (that I live in), has no owner (owned by thousands of fans including me.) Is the only non profit nfl team (all income either goes into improving the stadium, the community, and to charity.) For example right now they are building an apartment complex, resort, and sledding/skiing hill behind the stadium.

They have the oldest stadium in the NFL. They also have this tradition in training camp where kids bring their bikes to the practice and the players will ride the tiny bikes back to the stadium. It really is an incredible franchise and fanbase (fanbase is always ranked #1 in the NFL.) We'd love to have you!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Out of the three teams you mentioned, I like Green Bay the best, then New England, but I 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, utterly mega-loathe Seattle. I do agree, though, their colors are cool. And they have a die-hard (though fairly recent) fan base.

Green Bay has a lot of history and tradition in the league. They've won more championships than any team in NFL history (there were NFL Championships before the Super Bowl era, people seem to forget that). Because of this, Green Bay is referred to as Titletown, USA. Lambeau Field is the oldest continuously occupied stadium in the league (Soldier Field in Chicago is older, but the Bears didn't play there until 1971). The team is owned by a publicly held non-profit group of shareholders - the only team in the NFL not privately owned by a single owner. One of the big traditions is the Lambeau Leap, in which a player leaps into the first row of fans behind the end zone after scoring a touchdown. The Vince Lombardi Trophy, given annually to the winner of the Super Bowl, is named after their former coach who won 5 Championships with the team (3 NFL Championships and the first 2 Super Bowls). A feat not matched until Sunday, when Bill Belichick won his 5th as head coach of the Patriots. Unless you're a Bears, Lions, or Vikings fan, it's really hard not to like them.

Pittsburgh and Dallas have the biggest fan bases across the nation. Dallas is commonly referred to as "America's Team" but I don't recall any of us getting to vote on that, lol. I personally can't stand either team.

But I agree with what WMA said, just watch more games and you'll find someone to follow.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Put all 32 teams in a hat and pull one out. Or don't pick a team and just enjoy they game.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    If you pick "Cleveland Browns" from the hat, take a mulligan.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I would just start to pay attention and see who you like organically.
  • Options
    I like the Green Bay pitch given to me.
    I've always kind of liked them, they have Aussie colours and always seem to be in the superbowl or thereabouts.
    What about Miami Dolphins?
    I don't like the Cleveland name, wtf is browns? My relatives live there but NO won't pick Cleveland.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited February 2017

I've always kind of liked them, they have Aussie colours and always seem to be in the superbowl or thereabouts.
    I don't like the Cleveland name, wtf is browns? My relatives live there but NO won't pick Cleveland.

Dolphins aren't decent but they have the Patriots in their division so they won't be winning their division for awhile.

Honestly I have no idea why they are called the Browns. Their helmet is literally blank with on color, orange. Makes no fucking sense.

If you are wondering, the Packers are named after a local packaging company (Indian Packaging Company) that gave Curly Lambeau, the teams founder, $500 to pay for uniforms and equipment when they formed in 1919. Then in 1923 they had more money troubles, which is when they became publicly owned (as they are today).
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    ehbacon said:

Dolphins aren't decent but they have the Patriots in their division so they won't be winning their division for awhile.

Honestly I have no idea why they are called the Browns. Their helmet is literally blank with on color, orange. Makes no fucking sense.

If you are wondering, the Packers are named after a local packaging company (Indian Packaging Company) that gave Curly Lambeau, the teams founder, $500 to pay for uniforms and equipment when they formed in 1919. Then in 1923 they had more money troubles, which is when they became publicly owned (as they are today).
    Yeah I always wondered about the Packers name and actually looked it up online a while ago.
    For me it's either NE, Seattle or Green Bay.
  • Options
    Cleveland is nicknamed the Browns after their founder & first head coach, Paul Brown.

Brown was later part of a group that founded the Cincinnati Bengals (after Art Modell, who bought the Browns & Paul's stake of ownership and eventually fired him a few years later). The Bengals play in Paul Brown Stadium.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    ^^dropping the knowledge, right there.

Tough to look past "Oh, it is a euphemism for shit...as in 'I'm going to be right back, I'm going to take the Browns to the Super Bowl'

Pick a choad licker team like the LA Rams or someone who sucked and has a chance to turn it around.
  • Options
    I don't want a team that keeps relocating from San Diego to LA or wherever.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,847

More important than which team you choose to like (there must be some team/city/name you can make a connection with that is your own) is which team you choose to hate.
    Suggestion #1
    Be sure to wipe your rear end with Cowboys.

this.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

Why would you care? You're in Australia.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Why would you care? You're in Australia.
    I just like teams staying as they are. Hate when they change names and colours like in Hockey or Basketball in the USA.
  • Options

I would stay away from new england. Once Brady is gone, they will head back into mediocrity.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

50's, 80's & 00's Lakers
    60's Celtics
    90's Bulls
    '99-'14 Spurs
    40's Maple Leafs
    50's-70's Canadiens
    30's-50's & 90's-00's Yankees
    60's Packers

• Options

50's, 80's & 00's Lakers
    60's Celtics
    90's Bulls
    '99-'14 Spurs
    40's Maple Leafs
    50's-70's Canadiens
    30's-50's & 90's-00's Yankees
    60's Packers

Facts utilized to state your opinion?
    Holy shit, you should run for office!
    (Nah, people wouldn't vote for facts.)