Options

oil

MeanMr.MustardMeanMr.Mustard TBA Posts: 127
edited January 2017 in A Moving Train
why is o.k to buy oil from the middle east but not drill or frack in our own country ? there is so much opposition to drilling here but we have no problem letting the middle east drill the shit out of their land.
Post edited by MeanMr.Mustard on

Comments

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Who says that?
    People who oppose big oil and environmental destruction want to see neither. We want a transition away from non-renewables, corporate welfare, and resource wars.
    Not that hard to understand.
  • Options

Who says that?
    People who oppose big oil and environmental destruction want to see neither. We want a transition away from non-renewables, corporate welfare, and resource wars.

Then why no protesters in the middle east? Only protests we see are against Canadian / Albertan oil and or energy production. This is where the confusion lies. If protesters really believed in the propaganda they spread, they would all turn off the gas to their homes in January, walk (NOT FLY) to the places (cities, Towns, and mining operations) to protest or at the very least practice what they preach and since they do none of these things, they subsequently lose all credibility.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Bennyorr4 said:

Who says that?

Then why no protesters in the middle east? Only protests we see are against Canadian / Albertan oil and or energy production. This is where the confusion lies. If protesters really believed in the propaganda they spread, they would all turn off the gas to their homes in January, walk (NOT FLY) to the places (cities, Towns, and mining operations) to protest or at the very least practice what they preach and since they do none of these things, they subsequently lose all credibility.
    Oh good lord.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Bennyorr4 said:

Who says that?

how would I know why they don't protest in the Middle East? And the only protests you see are against Alberta oil? Not true at all. Fracking in the US, DAPL, etc...people are consistent about opposing non-renewables. so yes, you're confused. My point was pretty clear.
    The 'stop using oil if you oppose it' argument is so juvenile. On par with 'get out of the country if you don't like it' kinda shit.
    If there were options that didn't involve going broke, freezing to death, or losing jobs, I think people would be happy to stop.
  • Options

Bennyorr4 said:

Who says that?

how would I know why they don't protest in the Middle East? And the only protests you see are against Alberta oil? Not true at all. Fracking in the US, DAPL, etc...people are consistent about opposing non-renewables. so yes, you're confused. My point was pretty clear.
    The 'stop using oil if you oppose it' argument is so juvenile. On par with 'get out of the country if you don't like it' kinda shit.
    If there were options that didn't involve going broke, freezing to death, or losing jobs, I think people would be happy to stop.
    Exactly!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    oil extraction in the middle east does not have the same environmental consequences as other oil sources such as the tar sands ... tar sands extraction requires 3 x the resources than traditional drilling ... combined that with the fact that the bitumen requires special refineries and the the by products of tailing ponds and what not is why people protest the oil sands in canada ...

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    I'm against oil, anywhere that hurts the earth and people living on it. I'm doing my small part and going solar, getting a battery and getting electric cars. Yes it takes resources to make those, but less than drilling.
    Btw also starting a garden, composting and chickens for eggs.
    And voting.
    Do what you can.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Take a look at Oklahoma earthquake capital of North America and tell if we should keep on drilling drilling & fracking...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Maryland General Assembly passes fracking ban bill. Gov. Larry Hogan (R) has already stated he will sign the bill. Maryland becomes the first state in the US to institute a ban on fracking, which has already been under moratorium since 2015. This is particularly important to the western part of the state I live in as we sit on top of the largest natural gas formation in the world.
    https://thinkprogress.org/maryland-passes-ban-on-fracking-80b7a8f18624

I didn't vote for Larry Hogan in 2014, but he'll be getting my re-election vote next year. Not just based on this, but this certainly is a big help. He's done great things for the state so far, especially western Maryland which no governor prior seemed to recognize our existence.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Good to see some very sensible answers here! You all heard my spiel enough times. Back to the music!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

why is o.k to buy oil from the middle east but not drill or frack in our own country ? there is so much opposition to drilling here but we have no problem letting the middle east drill the shit out of their land.

Simple, we import all our oil, buying from everyone else. When everyone else runs out of oil, the US stockpile will still be safely underground.

Also, what little I know about oil. I understand the oil we pump here is of lower quality and more difficult to extract. Which makes it more costly to refine than oil that is imported.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283

https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/tag/earthquakes/
    Something to think about ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....