Options

Boycott American goods - everyone outside the US

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2017
    I'm not boycotting American music.
    Anything else would be easy - it's getting pretty hard to find anything that is made in the USA these days. When I see that that something is made in the USA here in Canada I'm mildly surprised.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    PJ_Soul said:

Anything else would be easy - it's getting pretty hard to find anything that is made in the USA these days. When I see that that something is made in the USA here in Canada I'm mildly surprised.

As we are when we see things that were made in Canada..wait is anything made in Canada ;)

Are Canadians really afraid of the dark? How I met your mother claims you are B)
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:

That kinda defeats the point of using the term "boycott"...maybe "Boycotting things I don't like" would be the title of that book...just saying
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

stay focused on an Uber boycott. It will hurt Trump.

Really?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/uber-boycott-boosts-carl-icahn-lyft-investor.html
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    ^^^
    A few cab drivers crossing picket lines will hurt President Trump? Switch to Lyft :rofl:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Wma31394 said:

PJ_Soul said:

As we are when we see things that were made in Canada..wait is anything made in Canada ;)

Are Canadians really afraid of the dark? How I met your mother claims you are B)
    we make amazing maple syryp and kick ass beer.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Who am I'm?

"This thread needs to be closed"
  • Options
    Who am l?

"More anti-amerites spreading anti-amerism non sense"
  • Options
    Who am I?

"Fyi, nonsense is one word"
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Who am I?

"Fyi, nonsense is one word"

I know! A guy much smarter than you!

You're closer. It's 97! Keep going!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Why I cancelled my U.S. book events after Donald Trump’s order

At this moment, entering Trump’s America feels akin to patronizing a golf course that excludes blacks, a health club that refuses membership to Jews.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/why-i-cancelled-my-us-book-events-after-donald-trumps-order/article33846256/
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    Would be more effective to boycott companies based in USA. Since many things made in China still benefit US companies. But the attitude also seems to be "I'll boycott it if I don't like it anyway." Which completely defeats the purpose, you'd have to boycott everything or nothing.
    Who is really willing to give up PJ, Apple, get a new car (many cars made overseas are still US companies). There'd be very few causes I'd be willing to do that for
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

That kinda defeats the point of using the term "boycott"...maybe "Boycotting things I don't like" would be the title of that book...just saying
    I never said I was boycotting anything....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Wma31394 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Your tone suggests that you took my comment as some kind of insult or something? Or maybe you were joking and I'm missing the tone, despite mr. winky, haha.
    I was just stating a fact. Boycotting things from the US would be easy in Canada. That is the only point I was making. I wasn't placing judgment... if I were, my statement would actually say more about how way too much shit sold in Canada was made in China. I would way prefer to buy made in the USA products than Made in China products.
    And yeah, I don't come across too many things that were made in Canada either, besides food products.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Hopefully a few of these trade deals get eliminated and we can get some jobs back.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Your tone suggests that you took my comment as some kind of insult or something? Or maybe you were joking and I'm missing the tone, despite mr. winky, haha.
    I was just stating a fact. Boycotting things from the US would be easy in Canada. That is the only point I was making. I wasn't placing judgment... if I were, my statement would actually say more about how way too much shit sold in Canada was made in China. I would way prefer to buy made in the USA products than Made in China products.
    And yeah, I don't come across too many things that were made in Canada either, besides food products.
    I was joking..no beefs with Canada, Canadians, Molson, etc...
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    All joking aside, if you really want to stop wasting your time, here is some excellent advise!
    http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/31/14430584/protest-trump-strategies-experts
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425

vaggar99 said:

stay focused on an Uber boycott. It will hurt Trump.

Really?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/uber-boycott-boosts-carl-icahn-lyft-investor.html
    has more to do with morale
  • Options
    My morale is great. Maybe you meant your morals?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

My morale is great. Maybe you meant your morals?

no, i meant morale.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    edited February 2017
    So what was the beef with Uber? They helped people get to and from the airport?

Oh the humanity!

The left will use social media to destroy anyone who doesn't even remotely toe the liberal line.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited February 2017

Oh the humanity!

As a Trump opposer, I was (and am) disappointed in the Uber ban movement. It was reactionary and thought without consequence, which is the very thing we are opposed to with Trump and his words, actions, and policies.
    The New York taxi drivers union joined the immigration ban protests by going on an hour-long strike. During this hour, Uber - whose CEO is on Trump's economic advisory committee - stated they would suspend peak pricing and many took that as a sleight to the taxi union and as support of Trump's immigration ban. Lyft then pledged to donate $1million to the ACLU and everyone started deleting Uber and downloading and using Lyft.
    Uber's CEO has since spoke out against the executive order and stated they did not intend to break up the strike. They've also pledged to put $3million into a legal fund to help drivers affected by the ban and are offering immigration assistance to any affected employees.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,934
    edited February 2017
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

You sound so daft.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Oh the humanity!

The left will use social media to destroy anyone who doesn't even remotely toe the liberal line.

do some research on the company/ceo's past.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

You sound so daft.
    You sound so intelligent.... :monkey: Bafoon intelligent.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 519
    edited February 2017

What really makes no sense is why you paid to be a Ten Club member if you aren't that into the band??? You can't post here without the membership so what was your motive for joining the fan club? Do you post in the other forums here or is your sole purpose for joining so you can post in AMT to dis the US and Pearl Jam?

You misunderstand me, I am not dissing the US itself, just their leader and his racist policies. Also, I never said I wasn't "into the band", all I said was I saw them live and in my opinion it wasn't very good.
    This was intended as a protest to a right wing government not a discussion on the merits of live shows -there are other sections in the forum for that.

Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538

"What really makes no sense is why you paid to be a Ten Club member if you aren't that into the band??? You can't post here without the membership so what was your motive for joining the fan club? Do you post in the other forums here or is your sole purpose for joining so you can post in AMT to dis the US and Pearl Jam?"

You misunderstand me, I am not dissing the US itself, just their leader and his racist policies. Also, I never said I wasn't "into the band", all I said was I saw them live and in my opinion it wasn't very good.
    This was intended as a protest to a right wing government not a discussion on the merits of live shows -there are other sections in the forum for that.

Over the years there have been a handful of people who have paid to have access to these boards but only post in AMT. They are all clearly against all of the values that the members of Pearl Jam have publicly espoused.
    They have been racist, homophobic, anti-semitic,xenophobic, mysoginistic, white supremecists, etc etc.

Never understood the people who pay to be here and only post a rhetoric of fear, hate, and ignorance while clearly not being Pearl Jam fans.
  • Options
    Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 519
    edited February 2017

"What really makes no sense is why you paid to be a Ten Club member if you aren't that into the band??? You can't post here without the membership so what was your motive for joining the fan club? Do you post in the other forums here or is your sole purpose for joining so you can post in AMT to dis the US and Pearl Jam?"

Over the years there have been a handful of people who have paid to have access to these boards but only post in AMT. They are all clearly against all of the values that the members of Pearl Jam have publicly espoused.
    They have been racist, homophobic, anti-semitic,xenophobic, mysoginistic, white supremecists, etc etc.

Never understood the people who pay to be here and only post a rhetoric of fear, hate, and ignorance while clearly not being Pearl Jam fans.
    You are not referring to me, are you? I am none of these things - in fact my post is against all of those isms that you speak of.

Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993

Is it your conclusion that someone is not a Pearl Jam fan if they don't agree with the majority of their political views? Otherwise how/why do you state they are clearly not fans?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538

You are not referring to me, are you? I am none of these things - in fact my post is against all of those isms that you speak of.

Nope not referring to you.

My point was not that it's wrong to have a differing political, religious, moral, musical, etc opinion. Having differing opinions and being able to espouse them publicly s part of what makes America great.

My point was that there have been, and there are currently, people on here who have no interest or knowledge of Pearl Jam but pay to come on here and stir sit up. I.e. be trolls.