Options

Drymounted Poster Question

fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
I did the unthinkable... Earlier last year, I had a poster drymounted and I specifically requested it. I thought I was doing the right thing and did exactly what I didn't want to do, which was to permanently mount the print. My question is, will the drymounting eventually degrade/discolor the poster? I never intend on removing it from the frame, so that's not much of a concern. I'm just worried it will eventually degrade in the frame. :s

Thoughts?
Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,421
    I have some inexpensive movie posters that I unknowingly had drymounted when I got them framed about 20 years ago and they have not degraded or discolored. I would never knowingly do it again but so far so good.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    on2legs said:

I have some inexpensive movie posters that I unknowingly had drymounted when I got them framed about 20 years ago and they have not degraded or discolored. I would never knowingly do it again but so far so good.

What movies? Just curious, I'm big into movie poster collecting

• Options
    on2legs said:

Good to know! I also will never have something drymounted again. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
  • Options
    I had someone offer me a dry mounted Chief poster. I honestly felt bad for them.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I did the unthinkable... Earlier last year, I had a poster drymounted and I specifically requested it. I thought I was doing the right thing and did exactly what I didn't want to do, which was to permanently mount the print. My question is, will the drymounting eventually degrade/discolor the poster? I never intend on removing it from the frame, so that's not much of a concern. I'm just worried it will eventually degrade in the frame. :s

Thoughts?

It's hard to say with materials now, but my art school experience back in the early 90's says that the materials I used back then most definitely would and did degrade and discolor. I suppose that what you could do is to contact the person you had do the drymounting for you and to ask them the products that they used and whether they are archival friendly. (I'm going to say with 99.7% certainty that they are not.)

Do you like the final product? If you do, have it, enjoy it and don't kick yourself over it. Just please o' please don't drymount another poster again.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Thoughts?

It's hard to say with materials now, but my art school experience back in the early 90's says that the materials I used back then most definitely would and did degrade and discolor. I suppose that what you could do is to contact the person you had do the drymounting for you and to ask them the products that they used and whether they are archival friendly. (I'm going to say with 99.7% certainty that they are not.)

Do you like the final product? If you do, have it, enjoy it and don't kick yourself over it. Just please o' please don't drymount another poster again.
    I love the way the frame job turned out. The poster is the MSG 1 Owl, which is the first concert my wife and I went to together. I do have another of the same print, so worst case I could have it redone down the road.

I learned my lesson the hard way. I'll never drymount again!
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I wouldn't sweat it, OP. I worked at a Hobby Lobby frame shop in the early 2000s when I was in school. Can't remember for sure if the dry mount process was absolutely archive friendly, but I dry mounted many posters that are screwed to the wall in my garage. No frame, no glass, just the foam board. Have been for years. I looked, just to be sure, and there's no yellowing, the posters still look great. If you have the posters for your enjoyment, chances are if you use UV glass in the frame, you will absolutely never know it has been dry mounted. Really the only thing you've lost is if there is an artist message on the back.

There was another mounting process similar to drymounting, but used a different adhesive and did not require vacuum and heat, those adhesives were NOT archive friendly and would certainly yellow a print. Probably a cheap adhesive. Drymounting, if done right, shouldn't cause you problems with aging.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    I had a Seattle '98 poster dry mounted the week after the show and it still looks good.
    BTW I will never ever have a poster dry mounted again! Back then I didn't know.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

Thoughts?

Nothing to worry about.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your help! Definitely helped to put my mind at ease. The worst part of the whole situation was the lady that helped me at Hobby Lobby tried to steer me away from drymounting. My stubborn self took it as she was just trying to get out of doing it the right way. I learned my lesson for sure.