In Protest: Pearl Jam Radio's Top 15 Protest Songs

Comments

• mlyonsmlyons Posts: 10
    To get back at all these Trumper's trolling this thread I'm heading over to the 3 Doors Down Forums to talk about Bernie Sanders
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    mlyons said:

To get back at all these Trumper's trolling this thread I'm heading over to the 3 Doors Down Forums to talk about Bernie Sanders

LOL
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Today @ 11am EST.
    Repeat starts in 10 minutes ..
    Top 15 @PearlJam - Protest Songs
    Tracklist ...

15. Rival (Studio)
    14. Gimme Some Truth (7/8/03 New York, NY)
    13. Army Reserve (Studio)
    12. Undone (Studio)
    11. I Am A Patriot (8/5/16 Boston, MA)
    10. Marker In The Sand (Studio)
    09. Rocking In The Free World (Ft.Bono) (11/17/06 Melbourne, AU)
    08. Insignificance (Studio)
    07. Glorified G (Studio Remastered)
    06. Masters Of War (8/5/16 Boston, MA)
    05. Porch (3/16/92 MTV Unplugged)
    04. Grievance (11/6/00 Seattle, WA)
    03. World Wide Suicide (Studio)
    02. W.M.A. (Studio)
    01. Bushleaguer (Studio)
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

Holland said:

I think more people should be outraged about them playing RITFW with U2 instead of a version with Neil or whatever.

Haha I was wondering what you were complaining about there. Not a big U2 fan and Bono is off the rails all the time but Sunday Bloody Sunday is probably one of the best protest songs out there. Neil does it better though.
    That Pearl Jam/U2 collaboration is the cringiest things the band has done :)
    RITFW from Uniondale '03 would have been most fitting....
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    How is any version of Know Your Rights or Fortunate Son not on the list? I personally would include Bleed For Me from Philly 05 but that's not everybody's cup of tea
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited January 2017
    my2hands said:

How is any version of Know Your Rights or Fortunate Son not on the list? I personally would include Bleed For Me from Philly 05 but that's not everybody's cup of tea

Bleed for Me from Philly 2005 is perfection. Even references the "Russians". They replaced the Nixon lyric for "Cowboy Georgie". What would they replace for Trump?

One of my favorite covers of theirs to play on guitar. Very similar to Mind Your Manners (as far as pacing).

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Flamery said:

Shut this down. Ridiculous! Time to accept it and help with this transition. Otherwise, you're just part of the issue.

We need to protect ourselves from the suppression of peaceful protest.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mlyons said:

haha!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    my2hands said:

Completely agree with you. That Bleed For Me is scorching. They could have just put "Encore 2: Uniondale '03".
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Here's to the State should have made the list. I believe that was played at a smal handful of band appearances. VH1 Storytellers I believe was one.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    tbergs said:

Holland said:

I think more people should be outraged about them playing RITFW with U2 instead of a version with Neil or whatever.

Haha I was wondering what you were complaining about there. Not a big U2 fan and Bono is off the rails all the time but Sunday Bloody Sunday is probably one of the best protest songs out there. Neil does it better though.
    That Pearl Jam/U2 collaboration is the cringiest things the band has done :)
    RITFW from Uniondale '03 would have been most fitting....
    Yes! That version was INTENSE!!! Or rocking from San Diego 98; ed goes off about flag burning.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

my2hands said:

Bleed for Me from Philly 2005 is perfection. Even references the "Russians". They replaced the Nixon lyric for "Cowboy Georgie". What would they replace for Trump?

One of my favorite covers of theirs to play on guitar. Very similar to Mind Your Manners (as far as pacing).

same here..it's a lot of fun to play.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited January 2017
    Tonight @ 10pm.

Last replay tonight @ 10pm EST.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Thanks, D!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited January 2017
    just my opinion I Am A Patriot will always be a Mansfield song not a Fenway song AND Army Reserve should be number 3 maybe number 2 on the list. It's highly underrated.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136
    mlyons said:

well? How'd that go for ya?Did it make you feel better? Did you get back at us trollers by trolling?
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
    I voted for Trump. I'm PROUD to be an american. I'm a white male (shock). I served 10 years in the Air Force. I love Pearl Jam. I don't agree with the bands political views at all. I STILL love their music.I'm steadfast about my views, Nothing you can say or do will EVER change my opinions. I felt the same way about Obama as you all feel about Trump so I can relate where you are coming from. I however, accepted that he won,I never felt the need to openly confront others and tell them that their views were wrong or racist or destroy their property, he was my president and that was that. The sun continued to shine every morning, I continued to go to work, I paid my taxes...life continued. I promise you that it will all be fine. There may be a few stumbles along the way, just like there were the last 8 years but in the end, we are all gonna be fine. I can't wait for the next shows and I'm hoping that by that time, everyone will have calmed down and we can all continue to enjoy the music that we love regardless of what we think of each other.
    edited January 2017
    If you think Obama and Trump are comparable then you don't relate at all. You never felt the need to openly confront others or to protest Obama because he never gave people a reason to. You didn't like him as your POTUS, but it was within reason. That is not the case with Trump. At all. Trump is not the Republican equivalent of Obama. That anyone tries to suggest that he is shocks me to the core.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    Paul-Jam said:

I voted for Trump. I'm PROUD to be an american. I'm a white male (shock). I served 10 years in the Air Force. I love Pearl Jam. I don't agree with the bands political views at all. I STILL love their music.I'm steadfast about my views, Nothing you can say or do will EVER change my opinions. I felt the same way about Obama as you all feel about Trump so I can relate where you are coming from. I however, accepted that he won,I never felt the need to openly confront others and tell them that their views were wrong or racist or destroy their property, he was my president and that was that. The sun continued to shine every morning, I continued to go to work, I paid my taxes...life continued. I promise you that it will all be fine. There may be a few stumbles along the way, just like there were the last 8 years but in the end, we are all gonna be fine. I can't wait for the next shows and I'm hoping that by that time, everyone will have calmed down and we can all continue to enjoy the music that we love regardless of what we think of each other.

You will be told, you dont understand, this is different. Just as some did with Reagan and Bush. Don't sweat it and thanks for your military service!
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I enjoyed that quite a bit. Reminded me how much I like the self titled album. Plus, the Fast Patriot + Masters Of War combo at Fenway was KILLER!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited January 2017
    Noload said:

Paul-Jam said:

You will be told, you dont understand, this is different. Just as some did with Reagan and Bush. Don't sweat it and thanks for your military service!
    No, it's not like with Reagan and Bush. Anyone unwilling to admit that is being willfully ignorant. Even if we forget about this very literally fascist tactic with the anti-media focus, which should be EXTREMELY troubling to any American, and not to mention his very deep conflicts of interest, just reading this transcript tells us that, without any doubt, this is absolutely not comparable to any previous POTUS.

Donald J. Trump: You know and ...

Unknown: She used to be great. She’s still very beautiful.

Trump: I moved on her, actually. You know, she was down on Palm Beach. I moved on her, and I failed. I’ll admit it.

Unknown: Whoa.

Trump: I did try and fuck her. She was married.

Unknown: That’s huge news.

Trump: No, no, Nancy. No, this was [unintelligible] — and I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping.

She wanted to get some furniture. I said, “I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.” I took her out furniture —

I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.

Billy Bush: Sheesh, your girl’s hot as shit. In the purple.

Trump: Whoa! Whoa!

Bush: Yes! The Donald has scored. Whoa, my man!

[Crosstalk]

Trump: Look at you, you are a pussy.

[Crosstalk]

Trump: All right, you and I will walk out.

[Silence]

Trump: Maybe it’s a different one.

Bush: It better not be the publicist. No, it’s, it’s her, it’s —

Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Bush: Whatever you want.

Trump: Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.

Bush: Uh, yeah, those legs, all I can see is the legs.

Trump: Oh, it looks good.

Bush: Come on shorty.

Trump: Ooh, nice legs, huh?

Bush: Oof, get out of the way, honey. Oh, that’s good legs. Go ahead.

Trump: It’s always good if you don’t fall out of the bus. Like Ford, Gerald Ford, remember?

Bush: Down below, pull the handle.

Trump: Hello, how are you? Hi!

Arianne Zucker: Hi, Mr. Trump. How are you? Pleasure to meet you.

Trump: Nice seeing you. Terrific, terrific. You know Billy Bush?

Bush: Hello, nice to see you. How you doing, Arianne?

Zucker: Doing very well, thank you. Are you ready to be a soap star?

Trump: We’re ready, let’s go. Make me a soap star.

Bush: How about a little hug for the Donald? He just got off the bus.

Zucker: Would you like a little hug, darling?

Trump: O.K., absolutely. Melania said this was O.K.

Bush: How about a little hug for the Bushy? I just got off the bus.

Zucker: Bushy, Bushy.

Bush: Here we go. Excellent. Well, you’ve got a nice co-star here.

Zucker: Yes, absolutely.

Trump: Good. After you.

[Break in video]

Trump: Come on, Billy, don’t be shy.

Bush: Soon as a beautiful woman shows up, he just, he takes off. This always happens.

Trump: Get over here, Billy.

Zucker: I’m sorry, come here.

Bush: Let the little guy in here, come on.

Zucker: Yeah, let the little guy in. How you feel now? Better? I should actually be in the middle.

Bush: It’s hard to walk next to a guy like this.

Zucker: Here, wait, hold on.

Bush: Yeah, you get in the middle, there we go.

Trump: Good, that’s better.

Zucker: This is much better. This is —

Trump: That’s better.

Zucker: [Sighs]

Bush: Now, if you had to choose honestly between one of us. Me or the Donald?

Trump: I don’t know, that’s tough competition.

Zucker: That’s some pressure right there.

Bush: Seriously, if you had — if you had to take one of us as a date.

Zucker: I have to take the Fifth on that one.

Bush: Really?

Zucker: Yup — I’ll take both.

Trump: Which way?

Zucker: Make a right. Here we go. [inaudible]

Bush: Here he goes. I’m gonna leave you here.

Trump: O.K.

Bush: Give me my microphone.

Trump: O.K. Oh, you’re finished?

Bush: You’re my man, yeah.

Trump: Oh, good.

Bush: I’m gonna go do our show.

Zucker: Oh, you wanna reset? O.K.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    PJ_Soul said:

Noload said:

Paul-Jam said:

No, it's not like with Reagan and Bush. Anyone unwilling to admit that is being willfully ignorant. Even if we forget about this very literally fascist tactic with the anti-media focus, which should be EXTREMELY troubling to any American, and not to mention his very deep conflicts of interest, just reading this transcript tells us that, without any doubt, this is absolutely not comparable to any previous POTUS.

Donald J. Trump: You know and ...

Unknown: She used to be great. She’s still very beautiful.

Trump: I moved on her, actually. You know, she was down on Palm Beach. I moved on her, and I failed. I’ll admit it.

Unknown: Whoa.

Trump: I did try and fuck her. She was married.

Unknown: That’s huge news.

Trump: No, no, Nancy. No, this was [unintelligible] — and I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping.

She wanted to get some furniture. I said, “I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.” I took her out furniture —

I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.

Billy Bush: Sheesh, your girl’s hot as shit. In the purple.

Trump: Whoa! Whoa!

Bush: Yes! The Donald has scored. Whoa, my man!

[Crosstalk]

Trump: Look at you, you are a pussy.

[Crosstalk]

Trump: All right, you and I will walk out.

[Silence]

Trump: Maybe it’s a different one.

Bush: It better not be the publicist. No, it’s, it’s her, it’s —

Trump: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Bush: Whatever you want.

Trump: Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.

Bush: Uh, yeah, those legs, all I can see is the legs.

Trump: Oh, it looks good.

Bush: Come on shorty.

Trump: Ooh, nice legs, huh?

Bush: Oof, get out of the way, honey. Oh, that’s good legs. Go ahead.

Trump: It’s always good if you don’t fall out of the bus. Like Ford, Gerald Ford, remember?

Bush: Down below, pull the handle.

Trump: Hello, how are you? Hi!

Arianne Zucker: Hi, Mr. Trump. How are you? Pleasure to meet you.

Trump: Nice seeing you. Terrific, terrific. You know Billy Bush?

Bush: Hello, nice to see you. How you doing, Arianne?

Zucker: Doing very well, thank you. Are you ready to be a soap star?

Trump: We’re ready, let’s go. Make me a soap star.

Bush: How about a little hug for the Donald? He just got off the bus.

Zucker: Would you like a little hug, darling?

Trump: O.K., absolutely. Melania said this was O.K.

Bush: How about a little hug for the Bushy? I just got off the bus.

Zucker: Bushy, Bushy.

Bush: Here we go. Excellent. Well, you’ve got a nice co-star here.

Zucker: Yes, absolutely.

Trump: Good. After you.

[Break in video]

Trump: Come on, Billy, don’t be shy.

Bush: Soon as a beautiful woman shows up, he just, he takes off. This always happens.

Trump: Get over here, Billy.

Zucker: I’m sorry, come here.

Bush: Let the little guy in here, come on.

Zucker: Yeah, let the little guy in. How you feel now? Better? I should actually be in the middle.

Bush: It’s hard to walk next to a guy like this.

Zucker: Here, wait, hold on.

Bush: Yeah, you get in the middle, there we go.

Trump: Good, that’s better.

Zucker: This is much better. This is —

Trump: That’s better.

Zucker: [Sighs]

Bush: Now, if you had to choose honestly between one of us. Me or the Donald?

Trump: I don’t know, that’s tough competition.

Zucker: That’s some pressure right there.

Bush: Seriously, if you had — if you had to take one of us as a date.

Zucker: I have to take the Fifth on that one.

Bush: Really?

Zucker: Yup — I’ll take both.

Trump: Which way?

Zucker: Make a right. Here we go. [inaudible]

Bush: Here he goes. I’m gonna leave you here.

Trump: O.K.

Bush: Give me my microphone.

Trump: O.K. Oh, you’re finished?

Bush: You’re my man, yeah.

Trump: Oh, good.

Bush: I’m gonna go do our show.

Zucker: Oh, you wanna reset? O.K.
    I just wanted to quote this cuz it took up so much space. The Donald said he was surprised the let him..im surprised they let him too.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
    PJ_Soul said:

If you think Obama and Trump are comparable then you don't relate at all. You never felt the need to openly confront others or to protest Obama because he never gave people a reason to. You didn't like him as your POTUS, but it was within reason. That is not the case with Trump. At all. Trump is not the Republican equivalent of Obama. That anyone tries to suggest that he is shocks me to the core.

Then I am extremely happy I shocked you to your core. Hopefully it jarred something loose. I'm reminded of something an old Sergeant told me once, "son, opinions are like assholes...everyone has one." Thanks for letting me know that I can't relate, I expected nothing less.
    edited January 2017
    Thanks. The service was the best thing ever until my fun was interrupted by that damn gulf war. Thats life. I am proud to see all this anger and frustration and protest though. It just affirms that this country and system are working like it was intended too. My time 'in' was not wasted after all.
    Post edited by Paul-Jam on
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I'm not even bringing up the shizzy he said and the way he acted on the campaign trail...His actions and statements the first few days in office and who he has nominated for cabinet positions? Not making anything great.

Doctor Ben Carson? defend that.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018