Options

In Protest: Pearl Jam Radio's Top 15 Protest Songs

Comments

• Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    edited January 2017
    I love the music this climate will bring. Most of our great art comes from these dramatic reactions. I support it. It will have little to no affect on anything that happens but i love a great protest song. Here's to the state of the union!
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    bbiggs said:

First of all, I agree with some of the statements and disagree with others made in this thread, but I'll keep my political beliefs to myself.

Second, no President or President-elect raises or lowers mortgage interest rates. I've been in the business for 16 years, so yes, I know. Financial markets (specifically the bond and mortgage backed securities markets) are what move rates. The policies of the POTUS do have indirect influence, because of the impact on financial markets, but they do not directly make that call to raise or lower rates.

Finally, I come here to get away from the political BS and discuss music and one thing we all have in common on this site...being PJ fans. Hopefully we can get back to that. I'm a relative newcomer to the forum, but man, all the political stuff is exhausting.

On a lighter note, let's hope for an album and/or tour in 2017!!! :)

Too sane..rejected ;)
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    Yes, let's protest this oppressive regime that tries to silence our voices...

Dave Abbruzzese belongs in the Hall of Fame, dammit!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,875

I am protesting because Pearl Jam has not announced a tour schedule for 2017!!! I will not be spinning my PJ vinyls until they do!!!

Wow. That s a pretty serious threat right there.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    Was anyone able to record this yet?
  • Options

Yes, let's protest this oppressive regime that tries to silence our voices...

Dave Abbruzzese belongs in the Hall of Fame, dammit!

Thread will be closed for sure now. No discussions about that situation are apparently permitted. Which means the criticism is (again) spot-on.
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Wtf is PJ Radio protesting exactly? Stop embarrassing yourselves in order to pat yourselves on the back for being so tremendously wonderful. True unemployment is still high and median income stagnated. Just because people stop looking for jobs, and those you've held in employment saw REAL income drop does not make your economic policies effective. Look at the proper statistics and you'll understand why people voted the way they did including the areas that voted for continued handouts.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    mlyonsmlyons Posts: 10

demetrios said:
    Wtf is PJ Radio protesting exactly? Stop embarrassing yourselves in order to pat yourselves on the back for being so tremendously wonderful. True unemployment is still high and median income stagnated. Just because people stop looking for jobs, and those you've held in employment saw REAL income drop does not make your economic policies effective. Look at the proper statistics and you'll understand why people voted the way they did including the areas that voted for continued handouts.
    Please enlighten us as to what the real "True" unemployment rate is? I'm so confused. I thought it was 4.7% but that must be the fake facts from fake news of CNN. When you let us know of your secret True insight can you please site your sources?
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited January 2017
    mlyons said:

demetrios said:
    Please enlighten us as to what the real "True" unemployment rate is? I'm so confused. I thought it was 4.7% but that must be the fake facts from fake news of CNN. When you let us know of your secret True insight can you please site your sources?
    The unemployment rate you quote only includes in the denominator those actively looking for jobs. The true unemployment rate includes in the denominator all people that are working aged regardless of their having given up on seeking gainful employment or not. As any economist knows, that is the truer measure of jobless rate. While Obama did create more overall jobs, those jobs had lower real (meaning dollar adjusted for year) median income and created a wider gap in income levels while also overseeing one of the largest exits of job seekers. How is this possible? Well, our population continues to grow so the concurrent phenomenon of more jobs and fewer working aged job seekers is possible.

Now, at some point as the meat of the boomer generation reaches retirement age, the working aged group will start to tail off (and that President will wrongly take credit for lowering the true unemployment rate). So while the overall true employment rate picture may start to look better without creating more jobs, a whole host of other problems enter the picture such as funding social security and Medicare when the number of recipients will start to outweigh the number of payers. And since they work either by design or through natural economic evolution as predominantly pay as you go programs, you can easily see the enormous looming problem that Obamacare is exacerbating and why the Republicans have been trying to redesign the financial structure of those 2 programs with forethought before that happens instead of stressing that system even further. For example, it was Bush who created Part D with a Donut hole. Dems blasted the donut hole, but that was a prudent economic measure to try to provide needed drug coverage to Seniors while balancing the funding necessary. Of course, over the last 8 years, the Dems have effectively filled that gap, and now another good deed does not go unpunished (though I'm sure unnoticed - did you know Bush 2 did that? What a terrible President. I'm guessing you thought it was Clinton if you thought about it at all.)
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Shut this down. Ridiculous! Time to accept it and help with this transition. Otherwise, you're just part of the issue.

good luck with that
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited January 2017

The Pearl Jam that i love would have protested against Clinton too. Lose-Lose'16

I'm sorry you love a Twilight Zone-version of Pearl Jam.

And live in a Twilight Zone-world where having Clinton wouldn't have been a MASSIVE win compared to Trump. For the whole of the world and the earth. The Lose-lose narrative is ignorant, when what you elected is a neo-fasicst.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited January 2017
    mlyons said:

demetrios said:
    And btw, I purposely did not site any sources above. Go the the Bureau of Labor Statistics to both (in)validate my definition and narrative and get the relevant statistics. They publish it. And everyone should stop using the fake news thing incorrectly to be snide. This isn't real or fake. It's statistics, and you can make them say anything you want while still being truthful. Damn Lies and Statisitcs! That's why you should educate yourself and make up your own mind rather than listening to our self filtered news agencies and media outlets to fit our prism. Use the news to pique your curiousity, then use your curiousity to seek out the truth.

And definitely do not use your favorite band's message board, concert rhetoric and radio station.
  • Options
    What was the song list?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    Here's my Canadian perspective:

To acknowledge a day/weekend when many were holding protests, I thought PJ Radio just put together a theme show highlighting the protest songs that Pearl Jam has sung. I haven't heard the show but saw the playlist and the description asks what songs inspire you to take action. It isn't focussed on Trump. For example, isn't Rival about Columbine?

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I love when people get upset that people are passionate enough to protest

An active and critically thinking populace is what is going to finally make America great one day... not some childish prick with a twitter account
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    Why does everyone bother getting so worked up? They did a segment, so what, listen or dont listen. Protest or dont protest. People disagree, move on and do some yoga and lower that blood pressure :hang_loose:
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    "Don't protest" says the people who support Trump for all the wrong reasons.

Yesterday was incredible.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390

"Don't protest" says the people who support Trump for all the wrong reasons.

Yesterday was incredible.

Okay twist it to be that way then.

I never said yesterday wasn't.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options

Shut this down. Ridiculous! Time to accept it and help with this transition. Otherwise, you're just part of the issue.

• Options
    HollandHolland Posts: 73

mlyons said:

demetrios said:
    And btw, I purposely did not site any sources above. Go the the Bureau of Labor Statistics to both (in)validate my definition and narrative and get the relevant statistics. They publish it. And everyone should stop using the fake news thing incorrectly to be snide. This isn't real or fake. It's statistics, and you can make them say anything you want while still being truthful. Damn Lies and Statisitcs! That's why you should educate yourself and make up your own mind rather than listening to our self filtered news agencies and media outlets to fit our prism. Use the news to pique your curiousity, then use your curiousity to seek out the truth.

And definitely do not use your favorite band's message board, concert rhetoric and radio station.
    No matter how you shake it Obama was given a bad hand (he knew this before he was elected) and after 8 years we are finally seeing normal number again no matter how you want to spin the UE numbers. Back on topic great list of songs there!

macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

15. Rival
    14. Gimme Some Truth
    13. Army Reserve
    12. Undone
    11. I Am A Patriot
    10. Marker In The Sand
    9. RITFW in Melbourne w/ U2
    8. Insignificance
    7. Glorified G
    6. Masters of War
    5. Porch
    4. Grievance
    3. World Wide Suicide
    2. WMA
    1. Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    Holland said:

mlyons said:

demetrios said:

No matter how you shake it Obama was given a bad hand (he knew this before he was elected) and after 8 years we are finally seeing normal number again no matter how you want to spin the UE numbers. Back on topic great list of songs there!

macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

15. Rival
    14. Gimme Some Truth
    13. Army Reserve
    12. Undone
    11. I Am A Patriot
    10. Marker In The Sand
    9. RITFW in Melbourne w/ U2
    8. Insignificance
    7. Glorified G
    6. Masters of War
    5. Porch
    4. Grievance
    3. World Wide Suicide
    2. WMA
    1. Bu$hleaguer
    That number 9 pick... :O

Yuck.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Im getting a kick out of all the whiners that cant accept the results..move on..nothing to see here...we are even at the point of the media comparing the number of people at the inauguration.If you aren't happy, passports are available.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    edited January 2017

Im getting a kick out of all the whiners that cant accept the results..move on..nothing to see here...we are even at the point of the media comparing the number of people at the inauguration.If you aren't happy, passports are available.

We are also at the point where on day 1 we have a White House that is flat out lying over something as stupid as numbers at an inauguration. It makes you wonder what else are they going to lie about and people have every right no matter what side they are on to question them on it. Also why should people just accept their president and everything that he does/stands for? You live in a democracy with free speech use it however you please.
  • Options

Im getting a kick out of all the whiners that cant accept the results..move on..nothing to see here...we are even at the point of the media comparing the number of people at the inauguration.

I think we are at the point where trump lies about it being 1.5 million people there and even has a press briefing about it (with "alternate facts").

The fact that news stations covering the event all day compare it to former years isn't strange or surprising at all.

But the fact that Trump says that he himself with his eyes saw and counted1.5 million people there – that's fucking crazy.

If you aren't happy, passports are available.

Such a bullshit thing to write.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Oh, we accept the results but he should be impeached immediately.

BALDFACED Lies on day one his Presidency about the "very dishonest media" fabricating issues with the intelligence community (a statement the President himself made) and his completely false claims to the largest inaugural crowd ever (a statement the President's press secretary made), while IGNORING and not addressing the grievances of hundreds of thousands of protesters in the street (not only in DC, but worldwide) lead me to believe that he is in "violation of public trust" and should be IMPEACHED immediately. It appears as though he doesn't care about the will of the people, he only cares about himself.

His electoral college "victory" is a testament to his soon to be untenable unpopularity.

Nice, right?
  • Options
  • Options
    I think more people should be outraged about them playing RITFW with U2 instead of a version with Neil or whatever.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I think more people should be outraged about them playing RITFW with U2 instead of a version with Neil or whatever.

Haha I was wondering what you were complaining about there. Not a big U2 fan and Bono is off the rails all the time but Sunday Bloody Sunday is probably one of the best protest songs out there. Neil does it better though.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    The people have spoken and Trump is POTUS. Would there be a top 15 protest song list had Clinton won? I doubt it. Dems are a whiny group unless they get there way.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options

The people have spoken and Trump is POTUS. Would there be a top 15 protest song list had Clinton won? I doubt it. Dems are a whiny group unless they get there way.

The fact that you want to live in a world that does not hold its leaders accountable and just have everyone shut up because they "lost" is very disturbing to me. Also you are right the people have spoken and Trump is POTUS. Why are you telling the people that they no longer have a voice now that he is in the office?