Should Betsy DeVos be confirmed as Secretary of Education?

vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
edited January 2017 in A Moving Train

Should Betsy DeVos be confirmed as Secretary of Education? 62 votes

Yes
8%
bucballRiotZactabrilobuck502000riley540 5 votes
No
91%
BinFroggimmesometruth27ledveddermanCServantmcgruff10igotid88NewJPage1vs52-feign-reluctancewnh1977CarneviLLedbetterman10xavier mcdanielvaggar99Enkidua5pjAlpine Boundmfc2006InHiding80CarryTheZero 57 votes

Comments

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    No
    my ears say no
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    No
    This whole administration is one big 'NO!'
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    No
    No! She has no experience in education and as a public school teacher that's a little maddening. She'll make policy having never been in a classroom?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No
    Hell no
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    No
    OOOOOH HELL NO
  • No
    At the march on Saturday I got to speak with a couple of recent Michigan graduates. They said she has ruined education in Michigan.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    No
    ... but she donated $200 million to trump!
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    No

At the march on Saturday I got to speak with a couple of recent Michigan graduates. They said she has ruined education in Michigan.

I have a friend from Michigan and she said the same thing. She also said most people in Michigan hate her and her family - her brother is the guy who founded Blackwater and she married into the Amway (pyramid scheme) fortune. The fact that she and her children never attended public schools is also troubling.
    No
    Everything about her is troubling!!
  • No
    Enkidu said:

I have a friend from Michigan and she said the same thing. She also said most people in Michigan hate her and her family - her brother is the guy who founded Blackwater and she married into the Amway (pyramid scheme) fortune. The fact that she and her children never attended public schools is also troubling.
    I watched her confirmation hearings. She didn't know the difference between the growth and proficiency metrics. Having volunteered on a school committee, I could have answered that question, and I am in no way qualified to run the dept of education. That and her response about guns in schools to prevent grizzly bear attacks pretty much convinced me that this job is beyond her capability. Oh the Michigan grads assured me they had not had a bear attack during their years in school. :rofl:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    The better question should be why is there an unconstitutional federal dept of education? That is a state issue.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2017
    No
    unsung said:

The better question should be why is there an unconstitutional federal dept of education? That is a state issue.

Maybe it's meant to somehow help kids who are disadvantaged simply because they happen to live in a state with a shitty education system? Like a state that decides to teach creationism and make teaching evolution voluntary? Shit like that. If anything SHOULD be run federally, it's education. I hate that education is still largely handled on the state/provincial level. It makes no sense. There should be NATIONAL standards for education so that kids are all on equal footing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    No
    unsung said:

Overlords be lordin' over, that's just what they do!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    No
    no
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    No
    95% no. 100% sure she'll still be confirmed. Fuck President* Trump.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Maybe it's meant to somehow help kids who are disadvantaged simply because they happen to live in a state with a shitty education system? Like a state that decides to teach creationism and make teaching evolution voluntary? Shit like that. If anything SHOULD be run federally, it's education. I hate that education is still largely handled on the state/provincial level. It makes no sense. There should be NATIONAL standards for education so that kids are all on equal footing.
    Yeah, because we've had a federal agency since 1980, and they've done NOTHING to improve education in any state. At all. Period. North, south, east, or west -- the US Department of Education could disappear tomorrow and not a single teacher or child across the land would notice.
  • No
    This is a problem wherever education is a topic. The people in charge of education have zero, as in none, experience with the job...
  • No
    I would sincerely like to hear why a person voted yes on this. Is it because of party status quo? You think she would do a good job because of x?

Please leave a comment as I am very curious.
  • No
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Teaching kids is like your fingers on your hand. All are different. Some people are meant to sweep streets and others are meant to become doctors. Should they all have the same chances? Yes. Should they all be taught the same? No.

If you have a learning disability then you should be in a classroom that can accommodate that. That child should be steered in the direction to succeed and not to fail.

So no, I don't think schooling should be universal.

You bring up an interesting point about national though. I attended 3 different schools in 3rd grade, 2 for fith grade and some books we were reading I did the year before. In another school we read books that I knew older kids were reading. So something can be said for teaching the same curriculum nationally.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Can't wait for DeVos to make this required reading in public elementary schools.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    No

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Teaching kids is like your fingers on your hand. All are different. Some people are meant to sweep streets and others are meant to become doctors. Should they all have the same chances? Yes. Should they all be taught the same? No.

If you have a learning disability then you should be in a classroom that can accommodate that. That child should be steered in the direction to succeed and not to fail.

So no, I don't think schooling should be universal.

You bring up an interesting point about national though. I attended 3 different schools in 3rd grade, 2 for fith grade and some books we were reading I did the year before. In another school we read books that I knew older kids were reading. So something can be said for teaching the same curriculum nationally.
    I think the thing you are confusing here is that nobody said "schooling should be universal". I understand that different kids learn in different ways. Each school should have a wide variety of teaching tactics and class options.

Letting the federal government run education is not mutually exclusive from that.

On the other hand, if it is up to states, there will be certain states where you are GUARANTEED to not receive the education you need. If Mississippi decided evolution should not be taught, you better hope you aren't a kid in Mississippi.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    jeffbr said:

Can't wait for DeVos to make this required reading in public elementary schools.

So funny and yet so frustrating, ugh.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    No

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Yeah, because we've had a federal agency since 1980, and they've done NOTHING to improve education in any state. At all. Period. North, south, east, or west -- the US Department of Education could disappear tomorrow and not a single teacher or child across the land would notice.
    Well then it should be fixed, not eliminated.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    No
    unsung said:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Pretty sure education falls in there somewhere. As we learned this election, a stupid democracy is a weak democracy. There's a reason why the right keeps pushing to dumb down the electorate: makes it easier to float alternative facts past people who lack critical thinking skills.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

It is not an expressly enumerated function of the general government so it is therefore unconstitutional.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    No
    just wanted to say HELL NO one more time
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 572
    No
    Are you fucking kidding me? Of course fucking not.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    No
    "I will be voting against Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. We must strengthen public education in America, not destroy it. We must have a qualified and knowledgeable Secretary of Education, not a multi-billionaire who has made hundreds of millions in campaign contributions to right-wing Republicans. Betsy DeVos must not become Secretary of Education." - Bernie Sanders
    No
    thanks Bernie. but your coward peers see it differently