Options

Remember when..

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    A family could go out to dinner on $20 and have enough change to stop at the video rental on the way home.
  • Options
    People knew the word have followed could, would, should, and might? Seems like that was only a year or two ago, then everyone starting saying "of" instead. :anguished:
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    edited January 2017

People knew the word have followed could, would, should, and might? Seems like that was only a year or two ago, then everyone starting saying "of" instead. :anguished:

Oooh this is a good one. I also hate that some people think that "cause" is short for "because"... it's not!! I don't care if you right cuz or 'cause... just don't write cause!!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    You were too young to not comprehend nostalgia...to not BE nostalgic.

(Me, I love it, bittersweet as it can be.)
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    edited January 2017

contractions ruined that...

could've, should've, would've...I think then people just assumed the "ve" was "of"

Post edited by RKCNDY on
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    answering machines had tapes, and if you got the cheezy ones with a single tape, and somebody left a message, the 'beep' would be really long.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

Oooh this is a good one. I also hate that some people think that "cause" is short for "because"... it's not!! I don't care if you right cuz or 'cause... just don't write cause!!
    Apparently English also lost the whole "There are" thing when the subject is plural. Now it's only "there is", no matter how many of them there are. I mean is. Grrr. "There's forty songs in the setlist!" :angry: No. There ARE forty songs in the setlist, stupid. Strange how the English language is officially devolving in many ways, and so quickly, too. Well, it was a good run, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    RKCNDY said:

answering machines had tapes, and if you got the cheezy ones with a single tape, and somebody left a message, the 'beep' would be really long.

Dammit, now I've got a hankering for that Seinfeld.

"Tippy-toe, tippy-toe!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

Apparently English also lost the whole "There are" thing when the subject is plural. Now it's only "there is", no matter how many of them there are. I mean is. Grrr. "There's forty songs in the setlist!" :angry: No. There ARE forty songs in the setlist, stupid. Strange how the English language is officially devolving in many ways, and so quickly, too. Well, it was a good run, lol.
    Saying "there's alot" should get you flogged for multiple reasons...
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    First run movies overlapped each other on HBO and Showtime in the 80s before all studios were exclusive to them. Use to watch Princess Bride a lot on those channels when they shared Fox movies before HBO was the exclusive home it's been since then.
  • Options

First run movies overlapped each other on HBO and Showtime in the 80s before all studios were exclusive to them. Use to watch Princess Bride a lot on those channels when they shared Fox movies before HBO was the exclusive home it's been since then.

Remember when Hollywood could write an original movie rather than just trying to update old, good ones?
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

could've, should've, would've...I think then people just assumed the "ve" was "of"
    Contractions aren't a new concept though. We ALL learned this stuff in elementary school (at least I hope) but in the past year or two "of" has replaced 've and have. It's ridiculous. No child left behind. Maybe we should start.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Remember when Hollywood could write an original movie rather than just trying to update old, good ones?
    My goodness, everything is a remake these days. And they're already remaking remakes. Looking at you, Spiderman.
    Also, remember when everything wasn't a trilogy?
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    It was safe and common to allow your kids to play outside, around the neighborhood.. and parents all helped look out for one another's kids.
  • Options

It was safe and common to allow your kids to play outside, around the neighborhood.. and parents all helped look out for one another's kids.

That's interesting... I'm not sure I'm convinced that the times were 'safer' for kids back then. I think there is more awareness of kidnappings and such today, rather than there actually being more of them. Before the internet, you didn't hear about a missing child unless they fell down a well for two days. It just didn't have the exposure since the national news at 630 didn't really cover those types of things. I'm wondering if others agree.
  • Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/14/theres-never-been-a-safer-time-to-be-a-kid-in-america/?utm_term=.af4c4ca9cd87
    Interesting article from 2015 related to missing children and deaths.
    Obviously there is a correlation between awareness and number of missing kids, but is there also direct causality? Is it actually safer now because people are more paranoid about what their kids are doing, where they're going, and who they're going with?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

That's interesting... I'm not sure I'm convinced that the times were 'safer' for kids back then. I think there is more awareness of kidnappings and such today, rather than there actually being more of them. Before the internet, you didn't hear about a missing child unless they fell down a well for two days. It just didn't have the exposure since the national news at 630 didn't really cover those types of things. I'm wondering if others agree.
    Such crimes have in fact gone down since the 70s and 80s, not up. It's all about warped perceptions, and it is today's kids, and therefore all of society, that suffers for it (not to mention all parents, since it's a LOT harder to be a helicopter parent). And it is ALL the parents' faults. They didn't have to let things go that way.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Remember when if you spent $6 at Taco Bell you were going to get sick for sure... now you they charge you that for a stupid "value meal". Despicable!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

RKCNDY said:

Contractions aren't a new concept though. We ALL learned this stuff in elementary school (at least I hope) but in the past year or two "of" has replaced 've and have. It's ridiculous. No child left behind. Maybe we should start.
    I know they aren't new...trying to point out that some kids are obviously being pushed through school without learning proper spelling/grammar. Not sure why pointing out someone's spelling mistakes is being an asshole either, their teacher obviously didn't do their job. (see? even I know which one to use)

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

My kiddo has enjoyed this with the other two neighbor girls.
    RKCNDY said:

My daughter's 7th grade English teacher does not permit the use of contractions.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

My kiddo has enjoyed this with the other two neighbor girls.

RKCNDY said:

My daughter's 7th grade English teacher does not permit the use of contractions.
    :open_mouth:

Though, I suppose it sets them up for using proper grammar. I remember learning them in 3rd grade...or about then. Now I'm going to be looking out for them in books and articles.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

I know they aren't new...trying to point out that some kids are obviously being pushed through school without learning proper spelling/grammar. Not sure why pointing out someone's spelling mistakes is being an asshole either, their teacher obviously didn't do their job. (see? even I know which one to use)
    Totally agree with you there. It definitely makes me wonder what the education curricula are these days and why kids pass high school when they don't know basic elementary school things.
    And I absolutely smile when someone calls me a grammar nazi. It's like, why am I the bad guy when you obviously weren't taught correctly?
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    There were voice overs for movie trailers not just at the theaters but on pay channels like HBO and Showtime? That needs to be brought back IN A WORLD that doesn't have it anymore. RIP Don LaFontaine.
  • Options

There were voice overs for movie trailers not just at the theaters but on pay channels like HBO and Showtime? That needs to be brought back IN A WORLD that doesn't have it anymore. RIP Don LaFontaine.

You should check out Honest Trailers on Youtube. Freakin' hilarious!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

block buster
    emergency break throughs
    answering machines

Man did blockbuster ever underestimate Netflix as an external threat.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Remember when you could drink at the bars until 1:30 am and still be functional at work the next day ...
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

block buster
    emergency break throughs
    answering machines

Man did blockbuster ever underestimate Netflix as an external threat.
    I remember when this was starting. Blockbuster tried a mail service. In fact, you could even return them to the store. I tried them both. Netflix would be in your box in two days. Blockbuster would take at least a week. That killed it.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    rap music was pretty good, about 25 years ago