Which format to choose -- Music on phone

Pats16Pats16 Posts: 174
Hey everyone,
I'm going to buy some shows with the intent of putting them on my phone. Can I choose any of the better quality formats other than MP3, or will the files be too large? I only have a 16GB card on my Samsung S4...so I don't have a ton of room and would like to build a decent catalog for listening. Thanks in advance!

Sean

Comments

• KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    edited January 2017
    I'd buy FLAC and then convert them to mp3.

I'd use a minimum of 256 kbps MP3 for balancing size and quality. You're not going to get much benefit from FLAC given a typical phone's DAC (digital audio converter). Personally, I only use phone for audio at the gym. All other times, I use a dedicated portable audio device (PonoPlayer loaded with FLAC of the highest bit rate/depth available). Your best bang for you buck will come with good headphones to pair with your phone. Consider Shure SE 215
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Pats16Pats16 Posts: 174
    KV...thanks for the info. Well, my wife just bought me some Beats, so I will be using those. Typically, I'm old school and still buy the cd's, but I have some free codes to use up and my purpose is to use at the gym.

I'm fairly tech illiterate (haha)...so I'm looking for the best but easiest way to get some new shows on my phone for now. I have never downloaded any shows and don't know what software I have on my home computer.
  • fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    Pats16 said:

KV...thanks for the info. Well, my wife just bought me some Beats, so I will be using those. Typically, I'm old school and still buy the cd's, but I have some free codes to use up and my purpose is to use at the gym.

I'm fairly tech illiterate (haha)...so I'm looking for the best but easiest way to get some new shows on my phone for now. I have never downloaded any shows and don't know what software I have on my home computer.

If you're using beats, I would say just use mp3's. I doubt you'll notice any sound improvements between an mp3 file and FLAC using those. Save the storage for more bootlegs. :)
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    I still suggest buying FLAC to future proof your collection. You can easily convert the FLAC files to mp3 using free software available online.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Pats16Pats16 Posts: 174
    Thanks for the advice KV and fl4......looks like I need to do a little research on downloading first. I do like the idea of FLAC since I'd like to transfer to CD eventually if needed.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    edited January 2017
    Buy it in superior digitial audio format (Flac or Flac-HD). Save it on HD. CDR. DVDR. BDR. HD's. etc... then convert it to an inferior audio file of your choice.

If you wanna hear it on the go on your smartphone, just encode a Flac copy to MP3. I use dBpoweramp Music Converter and convert the Flac to Variable Bit Rate Quality -V0.
  • fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    KV4053 said:

I still suggest buying FLAC to future proof your collection. You can easily convert the FLAC files to mp3 using free software available online.

Agreed. Sorry, I was thinking only in terms of listening on a phone.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    My advice: Download from whatever website in a format that requires no extra work to listen to on your phone. So much of the music industry now is getting people to pay for things they already own (reissues, different formats) or pay more for minimally improved sound quality (FLAC, HD, etc...).

I'm at the "keep it simple" point in my life though.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594

My advice: Download from whatever website in a format that requires no extra work to listen to on your phone. So much of the music industry now is getting people to pay for things they already own (reissues, different formats) or pay more for minimally improved sound quality (FLAC, HD, etc...).

I'm at the "keep it simple" point in my life though.

Same. No sense in doing more work than I have to. It's all going to sound the same anyway. I don't have a fancy sound system, anfy ears can't tell the difference. Chances are, yours can't either.