Options

So this is not a hate crime?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    yes, all crimes have a basis of hate or anger in them. but the purpose of a hate crime charge is because the crime was perpetrated on someone because of their appearance, race, ethnicity, belief system, etc. basically I'm going to beat the fuck out of you for no reason at all. I'm not mad at you as a person, I don't want your wallet, I just hate the colour of your skin or the fact you just walked out of a mosque or you are are a trump supporter.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    only a libtard social justice warrior would say that isn't a hate crime. Do you think it would have taken that long and it was j-boy and not w-boy the perps were shouting?
    Rahm and the media would have made sure the appropriate charges were leveled in a TIMELY manner.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241

Absolutely fucking disgusting. Hopefully these 4 animals never walk the streets again.

Highly unlikely. Even if they try them as adults under hate crime statutes, realistically at the most severe end they'd be free and clear by their mid - late twenties. I doubt they are tried as adults though.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    tbergs said:

Absolutely fucking disgusting. Hopefully these 4 animals never walk the streets again.

Highly unlikely. Even if they try them as adults under hate crime statutes, realistically at the most severe end they'd be free and clear by their mid - late twenties. I doubt they are tried as adults though.
    3 are 18 and 1 is 24. Why wouldn't they be tried as adults?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241

jeffbr said:

KC138045 said:

"Police declined to give the race of the attackers or the victim. In the video and mugshots released by authorities Thursday, the attackers appear black; the victim in the video appears to be white."

Seriously!?! Just saw they were Black and the victim is White.
    agreed. hiding this shit that we all know will come out anyway is dangerous. just fucking put it out there. "these are the facts of the case".
    Well, the media has to be careful with how they identify individuals' race and other such characteristics. The court can sort that part out.

And HFD, I believe you were among those arguing that race is not based on any scientifically provable differences in people (which is agree with, but just pointing that out).
    The media should concern itself with facts, not try to be careful about how they obfuscate or frame things. Are you a proponent of hate crime statutes as they relate to race? If not, then I get that, since I tend to agree with Hedo and think all crimes of violence have a seed of hate. But if you are a proponent, but can't use race as a factor since it doesn't exist, then how do you reconcile that?
    Good question (your last point) but more than I can reply to on my phone in the time I have at work, so more later. Right now I'll just say that my point was that I can understand why the media is cautious about identifying people by race. It's a minefield for them.
    KC138045 said:

tbergs said:

Ok. I didn't catch their ages. Saw the teens headline so I wasn't sure. Fair enough, all adults.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    rssesq said:

only a libtard social justice warrior would say that isn't a hate crime. Do you think it would have taken that long and it was j-boy and not w-boy the perps were shouting?
    Rahm and the media would have made sure the appropriate charges were leveled in a TIMELY manner.

I don't even know what you're implying in your first paragraph, nor do I want to think too hard about it.

For your second, less than 24 hours isn't timely enough for you?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

KC138045 said:

"Police declined to give the race of the attackers or the victim. In the video and mugshots released by authorities Thursday, the attackers appear black; the victim in the video appears to be white."

Seriously!?! Just saw they were Black and the victim is White.
    agreed. hiding this shit that we all know will come out anyway is dangerous. just fucking put it out there. "these are the facts of the case".
    Well, the media has to be careful with how they identify individuals' race and other such characteristics. The court can sort that part out.

And HFD, I believe you were among those arguing that race is not based on any scientifically provable differences in people (which is agree with, but just pointing that out).
    The media should concern itself with facts, not try to be careful about how they obfuscate or frame things. Are you a proponent of hate crime statutes as they relate to race? If not, then I get that, since I tend to agree with Hedo and think all crimes of violence have a seed of hate. But if you are a proponent, but can't use race as a factor since it doesn't exist, then how do you reconcile that?
    Good question (your last point) but more than I can reply to on my phone in the time I have at work, so more later. Right now I'll just say that my point was that I can understand why the media is cautious about identifying people by race. It's a minefield for them.
    KC138045 said:

tbergs said:

Ok. I didn't catch their ages. Saw the teens headline so I wasn't sure. Fair enough, all adults.
    Yeah I thought it was strange to call them teens as well.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    they are 24 years old and the kidnapping (an X-Felony) charge carries a 30 year sentence alone. Throw them animals away.
    Like nino brown says, "see ya, and wouldn't wanna be ya"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrM4g6Eo-6M
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

yes, all crimes have a basis of hate or anger in them. but the purpose of a hate crime charge is because the crime was perpetrated on someone because of their appearance, race, ethnicity, belief system, etc. basically I'm going to beat the fuck out of you for no reason at all. I'm not mad at you as a person, I don't want your wallet, I just hate the colour of your skin or the fact you just walked out of a mosque or you are are a trump supporter.

Oh, definitely. I understand the reason that hate crime laws exist, and am definitely not supporting any sort of bigotry, hatred, racism, homophobia or other small-minded maladies. But at least in this country, people are allowed to be idiots, bigots, homophobes, and racists. Those things are not illegal. But they suddenly are the basis for extra-legal prosecution when an actual crime is committed. I'm just saying that I think it should be sufficient to punish these idiots for the crimes they have actually committed without needing to get into what they might have thought, or how they might have felt. I'm not passionately opposed to the notion, but it has always made me a little uncomfortable to punish someone a little extra for having legal thoughts or beliefs no matter how idiotic they may be.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Oh, definitely. I understand the reason that hate crime laws exist, and am definitely not supporting any sort of bigotry, hatred, racism, homophobia or other small-minded maladies. But at least in this country, people are allowed to be idiots, bigots, homophobes, and racists. Those things are not illegal. But they suddenly are the basis for extra-legal prosecution when an actual crime is committed. I'm just saying that I think it should be sufficient to punish these idiots for the crimes they have actually committed without needing to get into what they might have thought, or how they might have felt. I'm not passionately opposed to the notion, but it has always made me a little uncomfortable to punish someone a little extra for having legal thoughts or beliefs no matter how idiotic they may be.
    From the victim's perspective it makes no difference.

I think it is odd to evaluate someone's motive before deciding how to proceed against them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

True indeed. They should never have been enacted but if they want to pass them, they MUST BE EVENLY APPLIED! They were not passed just to enhance crimes committed by Billy Bob, or were they? lol

• Options
    jeffbr said:

Very good points but do people really get punished more if its classified as a hate crime? I see it more as a way to label it and not necessarily an additional charge. Or maybe its a different degree of assault like there are different degrees of murder charges.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    KC138045 said:

jeffbr said:

Very good points but do people really get punished more if its classified as a hate crime? I see it more as a way to label it and not necessarily an additional charge. Or maybe its a different degree of assault like there are different degrees of murder charges.
    There can be additional punishment, or "penalty enhancements" for the crime being prosecuted as a hate crime. Some states (and I believe Federal) make hate crimes automatic felonies. Some states have mandatory minimums for hate crimes.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Never understood the need to classify something as a hate crime. I don't care what the motive is. You should be punished for the actions you take regardless of motive.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,536
    KC138045 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, the article says that charges are still pending and that charging it as a hate crime is being considered, so I'm not sure where the gall is coming from, OP. If they choose not to try it as a hate crime, that would be the time to get offended, because yeah, it probably should be.

In my original post I was referring to what the Police Chief said in the video about not being able to call it a hate crime. They ended up charging all four with kidnapping and a hate crime.
    Oh I see, well that's good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    Just saw this on cnn:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/us/chicago-facebook-live-beating/index.html
    Chicago torture video: 4 charged with hate crimes, kidnapping
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768

KC138045 said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-teens-held-connection-kidnapping-after-facebook-live-torture-video-n703331

Reverse the races and I guarantee that is what the police chief would call it. These punks need to be locked away for a long time.

Give it time and perhaps it will be. In my mind it should be.

What an event. Wow. Let alone the depth of cruelty... the level of stupidity amongst those four assailants is off the charts (live recording of the event).

Christ, I'm starting to think the US needs a control-alt-delete. Just start again, man. Yikes.
    no. just control alt-right.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

KC138045 said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-teens-held-connection-kidnapping-after-facebook-live-torture-video-n703331

Reverse the races and I guarantee that is what the police chief would call it. These punks need to be locked away for a long time.

What an event. Wow. Let alone the depth of cruelty... the level of stupidity amongst those four assailants is off the charts (live recording of the event).

Christ, I'm starting to think the US needs a control-alt-delete. Just start again, man. Yikes.
    I think that's what's happening lol
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mickeyrat said:

KC138045 said:

• Options
    dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

KC138045 said:

Lol

I'm using this one somewhere else.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619

jeffbr said:

From the victim's perspective it makes no difference.

I think it is odd to evaluate someone's motive before deciding how to proceed against them.
    Motive is often factored in to charges. If someone kills someone, it can range from no charge because of self defense, to manslaughter, on up to murder one.
  • Options

dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

KC138045 said:

Lol

In response to one of my posts, I presume?

Ha! I make myself laugh.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    mcgruff10 said:

On a side note, what the hell is going on in Chicago? It seems like a war zone.

It's crazy. Watching the local news and reading the papers here is so depressing. I just moved out to the burbs from the city and it's crazy to me that the great area I lived in on the north side is only a few miles away from these areas on the west/south sides that I wouldn't even think of going near....same city, but basically a different planet. It has gotten a lot worse this past year because of all the scrutiny on police.....cops don't want to get too aggressive and be the next viral video. I know plenty of Chicago cops and the morale in CPD is as low as it has ever been. That combined with all of these piece of shit gangbangers that have no regard for others lives and it is a complete disaster.
  • Options

dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

KC138045 said:

Lol

Ha! I make myself laugh.
    1 or 2 out of 10 posts you contribute make me feel that way.
  • Options

dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

KC138045 said:

Lol

Ha! I make myself laugh.
    1 or 2 out of 10 posts you contribute make me feel that way.
    Ha again! Now I'm all warm 'n fuzzy inside.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    edited January 2017

mcgruff10 said:

On a side note, what the hell is going on in Chicago? It seems like a war zone.

It's crazy. Watching the local news and reading the papers here is so depressing. I just moved out to the burbs from the city and it's crazy to me that the great area I lived in on the north side is only a few miles away from these areas on the west/south sides that I wouldn't even think of going near....same city, but basically a different planet. It has gotten a lot worse this past year because of all the scrutiny on police.....cops don't want to get too aggressive and be the next viral video. I know plenty of Chicago cops and the morale in CPD is as low as it has ever been. That combined with all of these piece of shit gangbangers that have no regard for others lives and it is a complete disaster.
    Is crime spilling into the suburbs or is it contained to certain city neighborhoods?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited January 2017
    I've seen so many Trumptards calling it a hate crime on Facebook and being hypocrites by saying the N word. All you have to do is google it and you'll see these privileged hypocrites. Of course, being the badass vigilante I am *sinister laughter*, I reported them. No one is above the law.

Unless the trump fans draw first blood, there's no excuse for what happened.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    Not sure if true but now I'm seeing reports that it's has been charged a hate crime because the victim was mentally disabled not because he was white. Give me a fucking break!! They repeatedly said "fuck white people" not "fuck the mentally challenged".
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2019

Post edited by Bronx Bombers on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    KC138045 said:

Not sure if true but now I'm seeing reports that it's has been charged a hate crime because the victim was mentally disabled not because he was white. Give me a fucking break!! They repeatedly said "fuck white people" not "fuck the mentally challenged".

So much anger. Don't worry, the perps are black, they will surely be found guilty and do serious time.