Options

So this is not a hate crime?

KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-teens-held-connection-kidnapping-after-facebook-live-torture-video-n703331

Reverse the races and I guarantee that is what the police chief would call it. These punks need to be locked away for a long time.
Columbus-2000
Columbus-2003
Cincinnati-2006
Columbus-2010
Wrigley-2013
Cincinnati-2014
Lexington-2016
Wrigley 1 & 2-2018

Comments

• Options
    KC138045 said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-teens-held-connection-kidnapping-after-facebook-live-torture-video-n703331

Reverse the races and I guarantee that is what the police chief would call it. These punks need to be locked away for a long time.

Give it time and perhaps it will be. In my mind it should be.

What an event. Wow. Let alone the depth of cruelty... the level of stupidity amongst those four assailants is off the charts (live recording of the event).

Christ, I'm starting to think the US needs a control-alt-delete. Just start again, man. Yikes.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I didn't watch the video and I'm not going to. I have no interest in seeing that. Maybe that makes me unqualified to comment, but if the facts are as reported in the article then it sounds like it fits the definition of a hate crime. I guess the police/prosecutors need to try to tease out if it was really motivated by racial hatred or whether there was another motivation and the racist comments were just part and parcel of a whole bunch of other hateful comments and motivations by these losers.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    The video doesn't go in to much detail and only highlights some of the language and less explicit content. Based on the information provided so far, this qualifies as a hate crime on the surface. Once the county attorney is provided with all the evidence they may decide to charge it as a hate crime. Both race and disability would be qualify it for a bias hate crime if they can prove that was the motivation, which shouldn't be too hard based on the parts of the live feed I saw.

I agree though, 4 white teens doing this to any minority would immediately be charged as a hate crime.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

The video doesn't go in to much detail and only highlights some of the language and less explicit content. Based on the information provided so far, this qualifies as a hate crime on the surface. Once the county attorney is provided with all the evidence they may decide to charge it as a hate crime. Both race and disability would be qualify it for a bias hate crime if they can prove that was the motivation, which shouldn't be too hard based on the parts of the live feed I saw.

I agree though, 4 white teens doing this to any minority would immediately be charged as a hate crime.

That and the headline would not be "4 Teens Held in Connection of Kidnapping" it would be 4 White Teens Kidnap and Beat Unarmed Black Teen.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    KC138045 said:

tbergs said:

That and the headline would not be "4 Teens Held in Connection of Kidnapping" it would be 4 White Teens Kidnap and Beat Unarmed Black Teen.
    You got that right!!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    To me, seems most crimes are borne of hate - whether toward the victim or even the perpetrator or whatever reason.

No matter, this is fucking disgusting. Race isn't an issue for me - acting like a piece of shit, treating another as such?

Shameful.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

To me, seems most crimes are borne of hate - whether toward the victim or even the perpetrator or whatever reason.

No matter, this is fucking disgusting. Race isn't an issue for me - acting like a piece of shit, treating another as such?

Shameful.

Hedo...

You've been kind of quiet lately. Hope you are well.

* And of course... I agree with your sentiments. Absolutely brutal. No excuse.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Clearly a hate crime... and kidnapping... and torture... i hope someone has the balls to charge and prosecute this scum properly
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Shameful.

Hedo...

You've been kind of quiet lately. Hope you are well.

* And of course... I agree with your sentiments. Absolutely brutal. No excuse.
    Thanks, my friend. Had other stuff going on, plus just politicked-out...heavinessed-out.

Good wishes to you and your family as we enter this new year :)
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Terrorism?
    Was the attack politically motivated?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Absolutely a hate crime. No question that it would have been swiftly labeled as such by the feds had the races been reversed. Hopefully the feds will be consistent and will prosecute this as such. I'm sure there are race-baiting apologists who will tell you that black on white crime can never be hate crime due to historical, institutionalized racism, but by every objective standard, this should fall under both the letter and spirit of the hate crime laws. "Fuck white people" should be a dead giveaway. I hope these 4 shitbags get what is coming to them. Despicable and horrific.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    hedonist said:

Shameful.

I would agree with this. I like to watch that Justice Channel or something called that and try to become the investigater in solving the crime based on the evidence. It dawned on me some time ago that most if not all those murders/crimes originate from hate at some point. Whether it's a husband or wife killing each other.....An overwhelming feeling of despised hate has to fall over one to kill or brutalize another. Either that or one suffers of a mental disorder to then live on as they've done nothing. What appears to happen above is outright sick and I find no need to watch or listen.....Mind you all races are capable of these horrific crimes.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Most definitely a hate crime!!! Hope these sociopaths are never allowed to be out in the general population. What a bunch of asshats. Their disdain for Trump and white people is no excuse for this kind of asshat behavior. Fuck them.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    KC138045 said:

tbergs said:

couldn't agree more.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    "Police declined to give the race of the attackers or the victim. In the video and mugshots released by authorities Thursday, the attackers appear black; the victim in the video appears to be white."

Seriously!?! Just saw they were Black and the victim is White.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    KC138045 said:

"Police declined to give the race of the attackers or the victim. In the video and mugshots released by authorities Thursday, the attackers appear black; the victim in the video appears to be white."

agreed. hiding this shit that we all know will come out anyway is dangerous. just fucking put it out there. "these are the facts of the case".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

KC138045 said:

agreed. hiding this shit that we all know will come out anyway is dangerous. just fucking put it out there. "these are the facts of the case".
    Well, the media has to be careful with how they identify individuals' race and other such characteristics. The court can sort that part out.

And HFD, I believe you were among those arguing that race is not based on any scientifically provable differences in people (which is agree with, but just pointing that out).
  • Options

KC138045 said:

Well, the media has to be careful with how they identify individuals' race and other such characteristics. The court can sort that part out.

And HFD, I believe you were among those arguing that race is not based on any scientifically provable differences in people (which is agree with, but just pointing that out).
    Well whenever its a white on black crime they are sure to make the races known immediately. Then comes Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, BLM, and riot an looting in the streets.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options

KC138045 said:

The media should concern itself with facts, not try to be careful about how they obfuscate or frame things. Are you a proponent of hate crime statutes as they relate to race? If not, then I get that, since I tend to agree with Hedo and think all crimes of violence have a seed of hate. But if you are a proponent, but can't use race as a factor since it doesn't exist, then how do you reconcile that?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Absolutely fucking disgusting. Hopefully these 4 animals never walk the streets again.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

Well whenever its a white on black crime they are sure to make the races known immediately. Then comes Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, BLM, and riot an looting in the streets.
    100% agree. That shit sells more advertisement time.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    mcgruff10 said:

KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

100% agree. That shit sells more advertisement time.
    Yep. Sensationalism at its finest.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    On a side note, what the hell is going on in Chicago? It seems like a war zone.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, the article says that charges are still pending and that charging it as a hate crime is being considered, so I'm not sure where the gall is coming from, OP. If they choose not to try it as a hate crime, that would be the time to get offended, because yeah, it probably should be.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

KC138045 said:

The media should concern itself with facts, not try to be careful about how they obfuscate or frame things. Are you a proponent of hate crime statutes as they relate to race? If not, then I get that, since I tend to agree with Hedo and think all crimes of violence have a seed of hate. But if you are a proponent, but can't use race as a factor since it doesn't exist, then how do you reconcile that?
    Good question (your last point) but more than I can reply to on my phone in the time I have at work, so more later. Right now I'll just say that my point was that I can understand why the media is cautious about identifying people by race. It's a minefield for them.
  • Options

KC138045 said:

absolutely. I think, unless being used to describe a criminal at large, saying the races of the accused is useless. all it does is enrage the masses, confirm their own biases. to me it's prejudicial, no different than saying "5 youths wearing Metallica t shirts rob liquor store". there is no reason to bring it up, never was. but you can't put that cat back in the bag.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

jeffbr said:

KC138045 said:

Good question (your last point) but more than I can reply to on my phone in the time I have at work, so more later. Right now I'll just say that my point was that I can understand why the media is cautious about identifying people by race. It's a minefield for them.
    Fair enough. I'm still not completely on board with the notion of hate crimes (the underlying crime is the important part for me), but if they are statute, then I believe they should be applied in an impartial manner. It looks like it is going to be applied in this case, so for the sake of consistency, I'm glad about that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, the article says that charges are still pending and that charging it as a hate crime is being considered, so I'm not sure where the gall is coming from, OP. If they choose not to try it as a hate crime, that would be the time to get offended, because yeah, it probably should be.

In my original post I was referring to what the Police Chief said in the video about not being able to call it a hate crime. They ended up charging all four with kidnapping and a hate crime.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018