Arena or Stadium?

13»

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    derbydave said:

I actually prefer shows at outdoor amphitheaters!!
    We have a GREAT venue here in Columbus that holds around 6,000 people for outdoor shows.
    The venue also has an indoor "club" that uses the same stage,
    and they have an INCREDIBLE sound system!!
    It's a little too small for a PJ show...
    but have seen My Morning Jacket, Beck, Band Of Horses, The National,
    Modest Mouse, The Black Crowes, The Killers, Flaming Lips, Jane's Addiction, Wilco and many other groups there!!

Me too. Stadiums are too big. Arenas have funny seat orientation (as do stadiums). Amphitheaters are the best; even large ones like Marcus (Milwaukee) or Alpine (PJ 20). At this point, I don't think we'll be seeing too many small-venue PJ shows.

That said, as a 10 Club member with a 23X,XXX number, I definitely prefer arenas to stadiums. I prefer reserved seating (I'm too old for GA) and my last few arena shows have given me really good seats. My Wrigley seats were terrible (as are most seats at Wrigley).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I don't see how anyone could prefer to see them in a stadium. I mean it's a nice tribal gathering, but I would suspect that 90% of the seats at a stadium are worse than all but the behind the stage seats in an arena. And if you want to be in that 10%, that means you are GA and committed to not moving.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I agree on Amphitheater's. They're pretty cool. They're really the only larger venue that are designed with the stage as the focus. Arena's/Stadium usually have all the seats directed towards the playing surface. Concerts are an afterthought. Amphitheatres have all the seats and the lawn aimed squarely at the stage. It's pretty cool.

I've really only been to a few amphitheatres. The Gorge, The White River Amphitheatre (South of Seattle... I guess it was supposed to compete with the Gorge, but the Gorge is so awesome...lol), and the Molson (Canadian?) Amphitheatre in Toronto. They were all pretty cool and the weather's been good at all of them.
    mrussel1 said:

I don't see how anyone could prefer to see them in a stadium. I mean it's a nice tribal gathering, but I would suspect that 90% of the seats at a stadium are worse than all but the behind the stage seats in an arena. And if you want to be in that 10%, that means you are GA and committed to not moving.

I agree 100%. I guess the only pro's for stadiums are if you are skilled/lucky enough to get great tickets, it's pretty cool, and because there's more tickets it means you might have an easier time getting tickets. Statistically speaking though, your way more likely to get a crap ticket at a stadium show than an arena.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I can understand the appeal for some folks for a stadium show. to them it might be the equivalent of seeing an NFL game instead of a high school football game; the attraction itself is the same, but the atmosphere is bigger and possibly more exciting.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I can understand the appeal for some folks for a stadium show. to them it might be the equivalent of seeing an NFL game instead of a high school football game; the attraction itself is the same, but the atmosphere is bigger and possibly more exciting.

Blah...
    Although I will say the sound at Wrigley was pretty damn good. Sometimes you can get in a dead spot at an arena where the voices are muffled. But generally not if you have 10C seats.
    blah?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

blah?

It was my way of saying.. your reasoning may be right, but it's a bad reason. IMO.
    mrussel1 said:

blah?

It was my way of saying.. your reasoning may be right, but it's a bad reason. IMO.
    haha, well, concerts are different animals to different people. some just like to go and hear the music in the background and people watch and take it all in, some act like they are the only ones there. neither is wrong. But I'm in the latter category.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

mrussel1 said:

blah?

haha, well, concerts are different animals to different people. some just like to go and hear the music in the background and people watch and take it all in, some act like they are the only ones there. neither is wrong. But I'm in the latter category.
    I'm in the latter category as well, and have absolutely no interest in stadium shows. Would I go if they announced a show at CenturyLink Field in Seattle? Sure. But I'd never travel to a stadium show. The crowd is of little importance to me. The music is why I'm there. Stadiums have sub-optimal sound and poor sight lines for concerts, so I just don't get the appeal.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

blah?

I'm in the latter category as well, and have absolutely no interest in stadium shows. Would I go if they announced a show at CenturyLink Field in Seattle? Sure. But I'd never travel to a stadium show. The crowd is of little importance to me. The music is why I'm there. Stadiums have sub-optimal sound and poor sight lines for concerts, so I just don't get the appeal.
    yeah, friends of mine travelled to wrigley. I just didn't want to bother. I'd rather travel to an arena gig, which I have a few times.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:

I agree. I went to both Fenway and both Wrigley. The atmosphere was fun. It felt like more of a "big deal" than an arena show. But by Wrigley I was burned out on not really being able to see anything. PJ does what they can to make those events outstanding but the venues are pretty limiting. Next time I have travel options, I'll probably favor arenas over stadiums so my GA fanclub tickets actually enable me to see the stage.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin

jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

blah?

yeah, friends of mine travelled to wrigley. I just didn't want to bother. I'd rather travel to an arena gig, which I have a few times.
    (as I mention above...)
    I travelled (from Minnesota) to Fenway and Wrigley. Four three-hour shows in the same month? Awesome. But I did not see much; looked at the big screen a lot. My buddy and I were kicking around some of the earlier arena shows but could not make it work. So we did Fenway. It's not that I'm unhappy we went. It was a great trip (and when spending a bunch on travelling, two shows does help with making it worthwhile), but it all really left me aching for a show at an arena or amphitheater.

As you, allude to, if they come to one of the stadiums around here (Target Field, TCF, US Bank), I'm there. But I'm not sure about traveling to such a venue.
    I went to the Wrigleys and had a great time. But it was as much about the city, Wrigleyville and that I finally convinced my wife to go to shows with me. It was also cool to see so many friends since everyone was there. But the east coast swing I did was much more satisfying musically and visually.
    jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

blah?

I'm of similar mind except I will travel for a stadium show if I acquire good tickets. We had GA for both Wrigleys and GA PIT for GNR at Centurylink this past summer. I don't think I'd want to travel for nosebleeds though. GA or bust :)
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    mcgruff10 said:

JojoRice said:

Arena. Holds the sound in better and it's more intimate. Plus weather isn't a factor.

totally agree with this!
    Although the occasional stadium show thrown in is very nice. (fenway was killer!)
    agree!!
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I just gotta be close
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    mrussel1 said:

Hello my friend!!!

I hate stadiums. They are not designed in any way for music.
    Amphitheaters however are. Give me any one of those and you are gold. Bad number, fine. You are elevated 35 rows back. 10x better than 20th row floor
    Sound is designed for that setting

Arenas=basketball and hockey
    Stadiums ==baseball,football, soccer
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    jdopj said:

I hate stadiums. They are not designed in any way for music.
    Amphitheaters however are. Give me any one of those and you are gold. Bad number, fine. You are elevated 35 rows back. 10x better than 20th row floor
    Sound is designed for that setting

Arenas=basketball and hockey
    Stadiums ==baseball,football, soccer

I miss those summer outdoor tours. I've definitely grown tired of arena shows. Not just Pearl Jam, either. I can probably count on one hand how many amphitheater shows I've seen in the last 10 years. Seems like Dave Matthews and festivals are the only things outside anymore.

Yah amphitheatre shows are awesome. I always thought it was too bad Vancouver didn't have one. Seen a number of shows at the gorge, 1 at the white river aphitheatre, and I saw Metallica once at the Toronto one when I was passing though the area. They were all pretty aweome. Especially on summer days with great weather.