Options

Arena or Stadium?

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Arena with the parking lot pre-game drinking capabilities.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    I'm not a stadium show fan for many of the reasons already listed, but I haven't been to an amphitheater type show I haven't enjoyed. Yeah, weather can always be iffy, but it's so awesome to be outside in the fresh air. Maybe it's because I live in a state where you don't really want to do much of anything outside for 4 months except ski or snowshoe! When you can just lay down a blanket and sit enjoying the company of friends before the show starts; good times. It's also a lot easier to have kids with at outdoor shows because there is more ability to move around.
    100 Pacer said:

Europeans & South Americans have stadium shows down to a science. Arenas work best in Canada and the States.

I definitely agree with this unless you do a smaller outdoor venue in North America or some of the selected few bigger one's mentioned; Red Rocks, Gorge, Alpine).
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I'm looking at you Philadelphia
  • Options
    derbydave said:

I actually prefer shows at outdoor amphitheaters!!
    We have a GREAT venue here in Columbus that holds around 6,000 people for outdoor shows.
    The venue also has an indoor "club" that uses the same stage,
    and they have an INCREDIBLE sound system!!
    It's a little too small for a PJ show...
    but have seen My Morning Jacket, Beck, Band Of Horses, The National,
    Modest Mouse, The Black Crowes, The Killers, Flaming Lips, Jane's Addiction, Wilco and many other groups there!!

I saw Shakey Graves and the Avetts there summer 2015. Good times.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    my2hands said:

:joy:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,481
    my2hands said:

I couldn't believe how early people were tailgating there in April.

It was impressive.
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    100 Pacer said:

Europeans & South Americans have stadium shows down to a science. Arenas work best in Canada and the States.

If you include the UK as part of Europe Id disagree, I hate the stadium shows here, they tend to feature in soulless new football stadiums with awful acoustics, however we have some great stadium sized shows held at various open parks which are fantastic and dont have that restricted sound echo bouncing around.
    Arena shows are better as most of the UK arenas have been refurbed recently but id take a PJ show anywhere here.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    A small theater. Around 1,500 / 2,000. That would be perfect.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options

i honestly hate both. pearl jam is only band that i will go see in an arena/stadium. i'd rather be in a club with 1000 or less people. huge shows are just such a drag. luckily i'm usually pretty close for pj. call me a snob but if i can't actually SEE the band and i mean like their fingers on the fretboard, then i'd rather not even be there. i can watch it on youtube haha
    but to answer the original question: arena. it's smaller

considering i will never see neil young or pearl jam or u2 in a club and also i will never see jason isbell in a stadium i would say it is what it is and i personally never let the any venue determine whether i go to a show or not.
    i am done with up-close expensive arena tickets. back of the venue for me in the cheap seats. i can see more shows that way :)
    ....and while i babble on...i must say one of PJ's most noblest things they do is not tier their tickets prices

for the OP...an arena. x 10
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    club>arena>stadium
    that being said special one offs can be fun ala wrigley, fenway, etc..
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,072
    Arena, though Not Shea Stadium in Queens would be cool, plus it might be easier to get tickets since arena shows are always a ticketing mess in NY.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Arena but I would also love to see them play The Shoe or Mapfre Stadium here in Columbus.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'll take an amphitheater over either, any day.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Stadiums....never
    Arenas.....sometimes
    Red Rocks...always
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Amphitheatres!!! While I get the whole sound quality thing, there's just something magical about being outside near nature that really corresponds to PJ's music. I feel like I've seen the inside of 2/3's of the hockey arenas in NA, and frankly, aside from a few, the more historic ones (like the Joe), I find them to be like the Big Box Stores of music entertainment. I would rather just 4 shows at the Gorge and Red Rocks than 20 shows in arenas at this stage. And there are so many throughout the states!! How cool would a 15-20 show run be at the Gorge, Red Rocks, Alpine, Jones Beach, Curzan, Shoreline, Hollywood Bowl, Jay Pritzker Pavillion, Wolf Trap, Merriweather, and what the heck, why not the Les Schaub theatre in Bend, it is in the epicentre of craft beer (and the venue really supports the locals - seeing the National there a few years ago was my best beer at a concert experience ever - so fresh, relatively cheap - and so tasty), has an idyllic river setting that you can paddle down and even watch the show from a kayak or SUP, and is close enough to go to the Gorge too!

Please make this fairytale happen in 2017!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mwplum said:

Amphitheatres!!! While I get the whole sound quality thing, there's just something magical about being outside near nature that really corresponds to PJ's music. I feel like I've seen the inside of 2/3's of the hockey arenas in NA, and frankly, aside from a few, the more historic ones (like the Joe), I find them to be like the Big Box Stores of music entertainment. I would rather just 4 shows at the Gorge and Red Rocks than 20 shows in arenas at this stage. And there are so many throughout the states!! How cool would a 15-20 show run be at the Gorge, Red Rocks, Alpine, Jones Beach, Curzan, Shoreline, Hollywood Bowl, Jay Pritzker Pavillion, Wolf Trap, Merriweather, and what the heck, why not the Les Schaub theatre in Bend, it is in the epicentre of craft beer (and the venue really supports the locals - seeing the National there a few years ago was my best beer at a concert experience ever - so fresh, relatively cheap - and so tasty), has an idyllic river setting that you can paddle down and even watch the show from a kayak or SUP, and is close enough to go to the Gorge too!

I'm ALL in!!! :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    derbydave said:

mwplum said:

Best idea yet!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    my2hands said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

We have a GREAT venue here in Columbus that holds around 6,000 people for outdoor shows.
    Modest Mouse, The Black Crowes, The Killers, Flaming Lips, Jane's Addiction, Wilco and many other groups there!!

Let's skip the mid-October show. :teeth chattering: MM was a rather chilly show! However, it was a GREAT show and they do have an incredible sound system. EL is on my list of venues to return to.

While I admit that I screen watched most of the time despite being mid field at Wrigley, I wouldn't trade that show for anything in the world. A BIG thanks to friends who upgraded my tickets so that my husband and I could be where we were. (We could have done without the puker, though.) The weather finally cooperated right before the show and it was a fabulous night!

I have had great tickets at places- up front, rail and all that. I have had tickets where we could have gone Sistine on the ceilings. Still, sound is everything to me and I guess I would prefer an awesome sound rather than beads of sweat flying onto me.
    AGREED...
    Modest Mouse was a COLD show!!!
    I'd choose an outdoor show over an arena any day...
    Red Rocks, The Gorge, Alpine Valley, even Deer Creek in Indianapolis,
    nothing beats GREAT music under the stars!!
    Those aren't your normal outdoor venues...

Camden, I'm looking at you
    I haven't seen PJ in Camden, but I've seen others. I hate that place. It seems like they always oversell the pit. And don't even dare trying to find a short cut out of there... may be the last decision you make.
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Arena
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,025
    This place

225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

Let's skip the mid-October show. :teeth chattering: MM was a rather chilly show! However, it was a GREAT show and they do have an incredible sound system. EL is on my list of venues to return to.

While I admit that I screen watched most of the time despite being mid field at Wrigley, I wouldn't trade that show for anything in the world. A BIG thanks to friends who upgraded my tickets so that my husband and I could be where we were. (We could have done without the puker, though.) The weather finally cooperated right before the show and it was a fabulous night!

I have had great tickets at places- up front, rail and all that. I have had tickets where we could have gone Sistine on the ceilings. Still, sound is everything to me and I guess I would prefer an awesome sound rather than beads of sweat flying onto me.
    AGREED...

I haven't seen PJ in Camden, but I've seen others. I hate that place. It seems like they always oversell the pit. And don't even dare trying to find a short cut out of there... may be the last decision you make.
    I saw a guy jerking off in the lawn at a DMB show a few years ago... told the security guy and he shrugged it off lol

I've seen multiple people piss in the sinks... at a PJ show...

And of course there is the lovely city of camden...
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

AGREED...

I haven't missed a Philly area show since 1998 but if they played Camden again I'd have to consider it. I have no desire to go back there.

Arena always over stadiums or sheds.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    edited January 2017
    my2hands said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

AGREED...

I saw a guy jerking off in the lawn at a DMB show a few years ago... told the security guy and he shrugged it off lol

I've been to literally hundreds of concerts in dozens of cities around the country and world and the worst behaved, most drunk, gross acting crowds are always in the Philadelphia area.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

my2hands said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

AGREED...

I've been to literally hundreds of concerts in dozens of cities around the country and world and the worst behaved, most drunk, gross acting crowds are always in the Philadelphia area.
    maybe but PJ seems to love us so...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    tbergs said:

derbydave said:

mwplum said:

Best idea yet!
    Who's driving??!!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    I am no fan of Camden but I'd be there in a heart beat if the band played there again.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    pjhawks said:

my2hands said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

AGREED...

must be why all the Philly shows are so good
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    pjhawks said:

my2hands said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

AGREED...

Yeah, I'm talking about Camden very specifically. I will NEVER miss a PJ show in the Philly area. I've seen the band in...probably 25+ different cities. And Philly shows are my favorite. There's just an edge and intensity to the crowd that you don't find everywhere else.
    Although Philly night 1 this year was the first time I almost got in a fight at a PJ show since the 90's.
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    1. Arena
    2. Amphitheater
    3. Stadium
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    arena. saw them outdoors with 35,000 other drunks at Sunfest 93, and while it was cool to see them live back then, I was too timid, even at 19 years old, to get close with all the mud and shoe slinging and moshing and whatnot, so I was really far back. Have the DVD though, which is nice. arena shows are comfortable. especially for a 42 year old.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com