Options

Pearl Jam brought us out of 80s malaise!

RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
I'm so grateful for 25 years of Pearl Jam.
Good bands have come along as well.
But for me 10 was such a great turning point.
For 15 minutes today, I'm watching 80s videos on MTVC. For the most part, what a bunch of crap;
Thank you PJ for getting music out of that period of horrible music.

Comments

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    RYME said:

For 15 minutes today, I'm watching 80s videos on MTVC. For the most part, what a bunch of crap;

The 80s committed suicide with this crap

https://youtu.be/OjyZKfdwlng
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

RYME said:

The 80s committed suicide with this crap

https://youtu.be/OjyZKfdwlng
    Jani Lane has stated that he HATED that song and that he ruined music, lol.

Anyone else ever think that this sounded like Joan Jett's "I love rock n roll"?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The 80s sucked. I love it when young kids who didn't grow up in the 80s say to me "80s music is awesome!" No, the 80s music you still hear on the radio is awesome. The other 99% of it sucked ass.
  • Options
    Joe CJoe C Eastern PA Posts: 48
    edited December 2016
    RYME said:

I credit Guns N' Roses for paving the way to the grunge that we all know and love. Discuss.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    Joe C said:

RYME said:

I credit Guns N' Roses for paving the way to the gunge that we all know and love. Discuss.
    What's your theory? I ask because that makes little sense to me.

I think of GNR as more of a slap down of the hair bands, that is, similar music as hair bands, but real musicians with good songwriting without all the nonsense (or far less of it)
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Joe CJoe C Eastern PA Posts: 48
    KV4053 said:

Joe C said:

RYME said:

I credit Guns N' Roses for paving the way to the gunge that we all know and love. Discuss.
    What's your theory? I ask because that makes little sense to me.

I think of GNR as more of a slap down of the hair bands, that is, similar music as hair bands, but real musicians with good songwriting without all the nonsense (or far less of it)
    Speaking as a child of the 90's, everything was on MTV where it wasn't how good you sounded but rather how good you looked when you did it. G N' R changed that to placing more importance on how good you sound compared to how good you looked. It was symbolism over substance.
    Case in point: how many MTV videos did PJ release again?
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    I don't know why so many people think the 80s sucked musically because it was actually pretty good and incredibly influential. Sure if you want to base a whole decade on it's worse music you could say it was bad but then the 70s & 90s were just as bad, the late 90s were epically bad. Hardcore and indie/college rock came out of the 80s, also shoegaze and the rise of hip hop, Prince etc.
  • Options
    There was certainly some good music out of the 80s. I like G&R November Rain. Michael Jackson videos were fun. Remember the big world premiere of BAD...lol..87? I made sure not to miss that with my VCR rolling. Billy Idol had good stuff. Nah it wasn't all bad. But what I saw today with the hazy weirdo people smiling wildly while floating across the screen and sparks coming out of the guitars freaked me out. Made appreciate PJ a little more.
  • Options
    RYME said:

But for me 10 was such a great turning point. Game changer.

• Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    Joe C said:

RYME said:

I credit Guns N' Roses for paving the way to the grunge that we all know and love. Discuss.
    Bands like Mudhoney, Green River and MLB paved the way for "grunge".

GnR was the typical LA - hard rock/metal/glam - hard partying band like many others that came from that area in the mid to late 80's.
    Maybe you mean they paved the way AFTER they took off the makeup and ditched the aquanet?!

Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    Kind of a weak thread I admit.
    Yes a few good tunes doesn't make for a great band. I remember watching MTV with my friend mid to late 80s in-between playing basketball and or riding bikes, & often wondering what for? Then in 91 we just couldn't get enough of PJ
    But I guess I was a little board yesterday.
    Can't put my finger on it, but the way Pearl Jam & Eddie have conducted themselves over the years, the way they put out great album after great album. It doesn't seem to me like anyone "paved the way for them". They sure don't remind me of G&R, or White snake, or Warrant, or Metallica for that matter. That was the point of my thread. That's what was so ground breaking about them for me is that they were and still are different & unique.
    The anticipation of a new one, or a tour on the horizon, of course they had a good time along the way, but not like that picture above. Maby a picture is worth 1000 words. The lack of ego is huge. And the genuine Heart they have and relationship with their appreciative fans I think seperate them from the rest of the pack.
    Class and longevity. Their unpredictability, the songwriting is fantastic.
    I so enjoy meeting fans from around the globe young and older, at PJ shows. You can go by yourself and make a few new friends in no time. Or go with your date and have a blast. When they take the stage, it's like your favorite team just won the world championship.
    Happy new year everyone & cheers!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I still consider GNR the band of the early 90s up until 93/94. Nirvana, PJ, and Metallica all dominated too but think back---GNR were the biggest
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    Joe C said:

RYME said:

Yah they bridge the 80s/90s well. Instead of glam rock they were balls to wall kick your ass rock. I would agree that the Seattle era of music became popular in the wake of GNR's music.