Options

Did California just legalize child prostitution?

unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
No punishment for minors if engaging in prostitution.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1322

Disgusting.

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    unsung said:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1322

Disgusting.

Some really really odd things going on lately.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Disgusting.

No, they didn't just legalize child prostitution. Nice headline, InfoWars much?

Adults will still be punished for engaging child prostitutes.

I would think anyone who has concern for sex trafficked minors would support this.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Police will be forbidden from arresting minors for prostitution. Sounds like legalization to me.

So a 17 year old girl can charge a 17 year old boy for sex and not be punished for it.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Police will be forbidden from arresting minors for prostitution. Sounds like legalization to me.

So a 17 year old girl can charge a 17 year old boy for sex and not be punished for it.

I think the intent of the law is to minimize prosecution of minors that are forced into prostitution. Slippery slope for sure.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

unsung said:

I think the intent of the law is to minimize prosecution of minors that are forced into prostitution. Slippery slope for sure.
    I understand that, trafficking is already illegal though.
  • Options
    unsung said:

JC29856 said:

unsung said:

I understand that, trafficking is already illegal though.
    Correct, but I thought this was about prostitution by minors. I didn't read it thoroughly. I'm suffering a bit from GMO poisoning this morning.
  • Options
    This law gives child traffickers and "pimps" incentive and allows them to convince the minor that what they will be doing isn't against the law...scary.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    unsung said:

So you see a problem and want the government to do something about it?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Or a 12 year of girl and so on!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    This is absolutely the right move, which becomes obvious if you have anything to do with the sorts of kids who wind up involved in the sex trade. They are almost universally there because they are fleeing even worse situations, like an abusive home, or have been kicked out onto the street, or have gotten entangled with drugs and need the money. Criminalizing this never makes the situation better; it just leaves them with a criminal record at the end of it all. It doesn't help them get away from a bad situation or get into safe housing. And if you're in that situation you aren't going to be deterred much by the thought of arrest.

Personally, I'm in favour of no criminal charges for any individual engaged in the sex trade. I prefer that those who profit from them be charged, if anyone is going to. And this law doesn't change the fact that the pimps and the adult johns are still charged.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

unsung said:

I see a problem with California saying it isn't at 17 but that it is at 18.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Seems odd to me as well. The state's legal drinking age seems to suggest that 18 is more a child than an adult, yet the state wishes to hold them accountable for their part in their exploitation- presumably thinking they should know better.

This is a good law. There aren't prospective prostitutes rejoicing right now saying, "Yes! Finally I can go prostitute myself and not be wary of the law." This offers hope.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

So would you prefer the law cover more people, or less?
  • Options

unsung said:

unsung said:

I believe a consenting adult should be able to make a contractual decision with their own free will.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

unsung said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    unsung said:

Disgusting.

do you charge a 12 year old girl with incest if she is in a sexual relationship with her father? no? so is that then legalizing incest?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I believe a consenting adult should be able to make a contractual decision with their own free will.
    So you want "our system" to protect juveniles, but wouldn't pay in to the system if given the choice?
  • Options

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

So you want "our system" to protect juveniles, but wouldn't pay in to the system if given the choice?
    Nice try.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Nice try.
    Thanks. I figured you'd get the point.
  • Options
    How does arresting and incarcerating juveniles protect them?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    When I first saw this article, I was already thinking how misleading it was based on the headline twist. Extreme measures to get readers in a world of quick click links to pre-determined news feeds.

This is clearly aimed at protecting minors. I agree that there is no magical change that occurs from 17 to 18 to make it any more acceptable, but that's the current limit of how the system operates. Once you're 18, you're open to a whole new world of the criminal justice system. It's a start.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Case in point - a 16 year old runaway being pimped out by two adults. Amazing that anyone would think she should be the one charged in this situation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/12/30/an-eavesdropping-uber-driver-saved-his-16-year-old-passenger-from-her-pimps-police-say/?utm_term=.71e30bbc4d8e&wpisrc=nl_most-draw14&wpmm=1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

unsung said:

Disgusting.

do you charge a 12 year old girl with incest if she is in a sexual relationship with her father? no? so is that then legalizing incest?
    Bingo
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

But the majority of the time with illegal prostitution it's two consenting adults, the John and the pimp. Plus the non-consenting trafficked female, which is who this law is protecting.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg