• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    mcgruff10 said:

Rygar said:

JimmyV said:

Rygar said:

JimmyV said:

Rygar said:

I consider FA to be 'not very good'...is it worth seeing Rogue One?

Do you consider other Star Wars movies to be good? If so then yes this is worth seeing. If not it might be a skip.
    Big fan of the original trilogy.
    Then definitely see it. This is set right before Episode IV and is heavy with original trilogy references.
    I was aware of the general story of Rogue One. Thanks for the advice all the same, I saw it and enjoyed it quite a bit more than FA.

My main gripe...where were all the Bothans that died to bring us these plans? I didn't see any in the entire movie.
    bothans captured the plans for the second death star (return of the jedi).
    Dammit. Full nerd fail.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    Rygar said:

mcgruff10 said:

Rygar said:

JimmyV said:

Rygar said:

JimmyV said:

Rygar said:

I consider FA to be 'not very good'...is it worth seeing Rogue One?

Do you consider other Star Wars movies to be good? If so then yes this is worth seeing. If not it might be a skip.
    Big fan of the original trilogy.
    Then definitely see it. This is set right before Episode IV and is heavy with original trilogy references.
    I was aware of the general story of Rogue One. Thanks for the advice all the same, I saw it and enjoyed it quite a bit more than FA.

My main gripe...where were all the Bothans that died to bring us these plans? I didn't see any in the entire movie.
    bothans captured the plans for the second death star (return of the jedi).
    Dammit. Full nerd fail.
    Lol. I sense another movie revolving around this story line.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    rogue one beats the piss out of the force awakens.

if all star wars side story movies are going to be as strong as rogue one, i would have wished disney went that route, and that route only and didn't expand past episode 6. ROTJ was the perfect conclusion to the skywalker story, no real need for episodes 7-9 in my opinion...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    rival. said:

rogue one beats the piss out of the force awakens.

if all star wars side story movies are going to be as strong as rogue one, i would have wished disney went that route, and that route only and didn't expand past episode 6. ROTJ was the perfect conclusion to the skywalker story, no real need for episodes 7-9 in my opinion...

I couldn't agree less, force awakens was way better. Rogue One was a giant dead end, and half the characters spring out of nowhere and are gone before fulfilling their potential.
    All Saw Guerrera did was talk in an affected voice, huge disappointment.
    There are few deeply emotional moments, and none at all delivered with the skill of Ford or Ridley.

Overall, it was good, but without Vader it would have been a dud.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    the movie was literally one dead end :wink:

i guess i went in expecting exactly what we got --- a story about the rebels stealing the plans to the death star in a one and done story. when you introduce characters that don't make an appearance in any future star wars movies, simply because they don't exist anymore, you can't waste screen time developing characters stories' too much because in the long run, their story really doesn't matter. they are just a bunch of random, no name rebels trying to complete their mission. i thought diego luna and felicity jones did a great job with their characters. i do think krennic was slightly underused in the movie and didn't live up to his full "villain" potential. guessing they decided to balance his scenes with tarkin's, which i am fine with i guess, because i wasn't expecting tarkin to get as much screen time as he got... so that was a pleasant surprise.

don't get me wrong, i like force awakens. loved it in the theater but when i watched it at home on blu-ray, i was much less impressed for some reason. i think a lot of the magic from that movie was from watching it on the big screen. i think rogue one will hold up better during home viewings than force awakens has for some someone. ah well.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    rival. said:

the movie was literally one dead end :wink:

i guess i went in expecting exactly what we got --- a story about the rebels stealing the plans to the death star in a one and done story. when you introduce characters that don't make an appearance in any future star wars movies, simply because they don't exist anymore, you can't waste screen time developing characters stories' too much because in the long run, their story really doesn't matter. they are just a bunch of random, no name rebels trying to complete their mission. i thought diego luna and felicity jones did a great job with their characters. i do think krennic was slightly underused in the movie and didn't live up to his full "villain" potential. guessing they decided to balance his scenes with tarkin's, which i am fine with i guess, because i wasn't expecting tarkin to get as much screen time as he got... so that was a pleasant surprise.

don't get me wrong, i like force awakens. loved it in the theater but when i watched it at home on blu-ray, i was much less impressed for some reason. i think a lot of the magic from that movie was from watching it on the big screen. i think rogue one will hold up better during home viewings than force awakens has for some someone. ah well.

100% agree. Of the 8 films I'm guessing rogue one has the most amount action. This movie kicked some serious ass.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    I expect Force Awakens to be elevated by films that come after it. It set up several mysteries. Who are Rey's parents? Who left her on Jakku? Why? Who is Snoke? Once these answers are revealed we'll likely see little bits foreshadowing them in Force Awakens.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

I expect Force Awakens to be elevated by films that come after it. It set up several mysteries. Who are Rey's parents? Who left her on Jakku? Why? Who is Snoke? Once these answers are revealed we'll likely see little bits foreshadowing them in Force Awakens.

yeah, it will be interesting to see the flow and the transition into episodes 8 & 9. force awakens was the very definition of playing it safe and providing endless fan service. i would like to see JJ take more chances in the next two installments. just think of the leap from a new hope into empire. there were a lot of gambles there.

speaking of elevating films... anyone now think a new hope has been elevated slightly because of rogue one? a new hope is my favorite out of the entire franchise by far, so i don't know if it can get elevated any more for me, but it will be interesting to watch it again since seeing rogue one (something i have not done yet).
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Star Wars Episode Shut Up: There Is No Comparison
    rival. said:

JimmyV said:

yeah, it will be interesting to see the flow and the transition into episodes 8 & 9. force awakens was the very definition of playing it safe and providing endless fan service. i would like to see JJ take more chances in the next two installments. just think of the leap from a new hope into empire. there were a lot of gambles there.

speaking of elevating films... anyone now think a new hope has been elevated slightly because of rogue one? a new hope is my favorite out of the entire franchise by far, so i don't know if it can get elevated any more for me, but it will be interesting to watch it again since seeing rogue one (something i have not done yet).
    I don't think JJ is involved in 8.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer