• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746
    Bump!
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    Zod said:

mace1229 said:

Theres a million of these things!

I hope so, then the price wouldn't be so ridiculous.
    I don't care how rare it is, if they printed only 5 copies and was hand delivered by the band it still aint worth over 2 grand.
    I would of guessed 10c might have done an overrun a few hundred maybe? The trickle out on these auctions. I think there were 50 sold at the pop up in '13, and maybe 10 at the one before that. Even if there's only 2200 or 2300 copies out there.... it's still not alot.

I guess it's worth what people are willing to pay. It's not like I'd even consider selling my copy for 2000 :) It's not easy getting people to cough 'em up.
    Seems like the more they are worth, the less people are willing to part with them. Before this vinyl craze 8 or 10 years ago didn't they only go for a few hundred bucks?
    I've mentioned this before, its insane to me how much the prices have bumped. When Riot Act was released you could still buy Binaural on vinyl from the shop for $25. When Avocado was released, same thing, could buy RA for $25 (4 years later!).
    Even when they sold out, they were available on ebay for $50 for years.

Then it was like someone discovered they were really wax-plated gold or something.
    And I'm pissed because I remember having opportunities to buy RVM or Lost Dogs, and just would think I didnt want to spend the money until I got a better player, bigger apartment, etc. Never thinking it was going to get this crazy.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    mace1229 said:

Seems like the more they are worth, the less people are willing to part with them. Before this vinyl craze 8 or 10 years ago didn't they only go for a few hundred bucks?
    I've mentioned this before, its insane to me how much the prices have bumped. When Riot Act was released you could still buy Binaural on vinyl from the shop for $25. When Avocado was released, same thing, could buy RA for $25 (4 years later!).

Then it was like someone discovered they were really wax-plated gold or something.
    And I'm pissed because I remember having opportunities to buy RVM or Lost Dogs, and just would think I didnt want to spend the money until I got a better player, bigger apartment, etc. Never thinking it was going to get this crazy.

I remember the Benoraya's appreciated somewhat quickly. I think they went for a few hundred pretty quick, and I remember them being around $450 about two years after they came out. They were always limited (sold out in less than 48 hours), so they've always been on an upward trajectory.

It's a bit different than the studios albums which weren't intended to be as as they were. Vinyl was pretty unpopular so they pressed the appropriate amount of records for the demand at that time. I didn't start buying PJ Vinyl until '98 and I was easily able to buy Yield, No Code, Vitalogy, Vs., and Ten all that summer. Usually when a new album came out, you could find copies on the shelf for a few years after release (excluding the more limited ones like RVM and Lo2L which seemed a little hard to find even in the day). Somewhere around Avacado (or shortly therafter) I think that's when Vinyl started to peak people's interest again. All these kids of the 90's wanted their favourite 90's albums but they we were impossible to find :(
  • Options
    Zod said:

mace1229 said:

I remember the Benoraya's appreciated somewhat quickly. I think they went for a few hundred pretty quick, and I remember them being around $450 about two years after they came out. They were always limited (sold out in less than 48 hours), so they've always been on an upward trajectory.

It's a bit different than the studios albums which weren't intended to be as as they were. Vinyl was pretty unpopular so they pressed the appropriate amount of records for the demand at that time. I didn't start buying PJ Vinyl until '98 and I was easily able to buy Yield, No Code, Vitalogy, Vs., and Ten all that summer. Usually when a new album came out, you could find copies on the shelf for a few years after release (excluding the more limited ones like RVM and Lo2L which seemed a little hard to find even in the day). Somewhere around Avacado (or shortly therafter) I think that's when Vinyl started to peak people's interest again. All these kids of the 90's wanted their favourite 90's albums but they we were impossible to find :(
    That is exactly what happened. Just after Avocado, about 10 years ago.
    Same thing, was always into vinyl. More so because I like things old-school. Never had a good enough of a player to hear the difference, just enjoyed it. Spinning the whole thing, listening to every song, hoping it doesn't skip.
    I got Vitalogy when it was new, and every album since (except Binaural, will always kick myself for that!), and had no problem finding 10 or vs in a record store in the mid 90s.
    Was in college when RVM and Dogs came out (and Binaural) so I had every intention of grabbing one when I graduated and wasn't broke, then it was well I am moving so I'll get one after I move. Then it was well my player broke so I'll wait until I can get a good one. Never expecting the prices to jump.
    I remember 6 or 7 years ago I almost paid $60 for Binaural, but thought "Screw that, it was selling for just $40 last year."
    Then a year later almost paid $75 and thought the same thing. Then about 4 years ago almost paid $100 for one and thought the same thing. Now that I know better, I'd pay $100 in a second....but not the $250 they go for!
    And I know the minute I fork out money to get one, they'll announce the reissue and prices will drop. So anyone waiting for the reissue for vinyl, just blame me for not buying it first.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,143
    Reissues def drop the going price on the originals but there will always be collectors who want the first pressing, so they'll command more till the end of time than reissues.

Also, since the OG no code has the original lyrics in who you are, to me it's one I'll never give up.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

Reissues def drop the going price on the originals but there will always be collectors who want the first pressing, so they'll command more till the end of time than reissues.

Also, since the OG no code has the original lyrics in who you are, to me it's one I'll never give up.

What is different? I get the value in originals, I buy the reissue so I can keep my originals in better condition. But haven't noticed a difference yet.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    mace1229 said:

What is different? I get the value in originals, I buy the reissue so I can keep my originals in better condition. But haven't noticed a difference yet.
    Listen to the new vinyl version of Who You Are. The lyrics are changed. There is rumor that the original tapes for that are no longer around and that is what they had to make the album.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

Listen to the new vinyl version of Who You Are. The lyrics are changed. There is rumor that the original tapes for that are no longer around and that is what they had to make the album.
    Ha. Are the new lyrics only available on the vinyl reissue? Did they have tapes for the rest of the album?
  • Options
    It moved! Current bid US $2,035.00.
  • Options
    verwornverworn Kalispell, Montana Posts: 1
    Is what one will spend for this considered a taxable deduction?
  • Options
    5 hours left.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mfc2006 said:

I am convinced that I will never own/spin this. Ugh.

I think vault 3/6 are far better.
    As a stand-alone setlist, Benaroyal Hall isn't spectacular. People go ga-ga for this because it's colored, numbered, limited edition and for charity.
    I actually do think it's spectacular as a stand alone bootleg. I couldn't care less if it's coloured, numbered, or limited. I would love for them to release it again on black vinyl and wrapped in a brown paper bag. I think it's a phenomenal show. I think it's so good I actually spent money on the CD, which I NEVER do, since I can't afford the vinyl.
    I would bet many fans have this as their number one listened to live show. It has nothing to do with some limited vinyl-thing. It's an amazing show.
    mace1229 said:

Zod said:

mace1229 said:

Theres a million of these things!

I hope so, then the price wouldn't be so ridiculous.
    I don't care how rare it is, if they printed only 5 copies and was hand delivered by the band it still aint worth over 2 grand.
    I would of guessed 10c might have done an overrun a few hundred maybe? The trickle out on these auctions. I think there were 50 sold at the pop up in '13, and maybe 10 at the one before that. Even if there's only 2200 or 2300 copies out there.... it's still not alot.

I guess it's worth what people are willing to pay. It's not like I'd even consider selling my copy for 2000 :) It's not easy getting people to cough 'em up.

Remember choosing not to pick up Binaural for $60 because it was too expansive...

Should have done it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    verworn said:

Is what one will spend for this considered a taxable deduction?

My understanding of how things like this work the tax donation is what you pay above the going price.
    If something normally sells for $500, but you pay $1500 at a charity auction, you can write off $1000 as a donation.
    And it would be pretty easy to write this off I think, as you can claim it has a "retail value" of $100 or whatever they cost originally and write off the balance and I doubt there's enough major PJ fans in the IRS to dispute that claim and know what you actually bought.
    But then again, I'm no tax expert.
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    Is this final price in Yen??? :o
  • Options

Is this final price in Yen??? :o

Lol. I wish! $3,250.00 US = 353042.62 YEN
  • Options
    Oh my! I was thinking of the $2k because it's tax deductible but over 3k? Holy shit