Atheism and the Unexplainable

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
Ok. This kind of fucked me up over the weekend. I do not believe in the afterlife or god, etc.

I have been snoring a lot lately, so my wife has been sleeping on the couch here and there. She now tells me the other night she noticed my breathing was rhythmic, but then stopped, then started abruptly again. Sounds like sleep apnea, which can be fatal if your breathing doesn't start up again, obviously. So I sometime during the night I awoke, absolutely frozen in terror. I had heard a soft voice saying "hello paul". I swear it wasn't a dream. it sounded as if this "woman" was in my room. It took a moment to register, and I then realized what had happened and all of a sudden I took a big breath and let out a "HUH???" and then just lay there. i couldn't move. I was terrified. Not sure why. it wasn't a threatening voice. But I didn't want to look.

A near death experience? not likely
A dream? probably (hopefully)

Either way, it seemed incredibly REAL. had a very difficult time sleeping last night.
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Eating good cookies before bed make me sleep like a baby , and why is she on the couch if your the one making all the noise you should let her go to sleep 1st and then you !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Ok. This kind of fucked me up over the weekend. I do not believe in the afterlife or god, etc.

I have been snoring a lot lately, so my wife has been sleeping on the couch here and there. She now tells me the other night she noticed my breathing was rhythmic, but then stopped, then started abruptly again. Sounds like sleep apnea, which can be fatal if your breathing doesn't start up again, obviously. So I sometime during the night I awoke, absolutely frozen in terror. I had heard a soft voice saying "hello paul". I swear it wasn't a dream. it sounded as if this "woman" was in my room. It took a moment to register, and I then realized what had happened and all of a sudden I took a big breath and let out a "HUH???" and then just lay there. i couldn't move. I was terrified. Not sure why. it wasn't a threatening voice. But I didn't want to look.

Either way, it seemed incredibly REAL. had a very difficult time sleeping last night.

sleep paralysis? i know there was a thread in here about unexplained things like this. weird shit can happen in your dreams/unconsciousness. when i am really tired i tend to get some weird dreams. definitely had an episode of sleep paralysis once which was crazy and seemed totally real as it was happening.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Sounds much like pjhawks says. Things like this are called hypnopompic hallucinations (just as you wake up) or hypnagogic (just as you fall asleep). They can be incredibly vivid and, yes, frightening. They're basically when you still have some awareness but your brain is basically in the early stages of sleep. Well characterized, scientifically, and very common. And no need to worry you are dying.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Interesting, there are countless stories of near death experiences out there and we've all had vivid unexplainable dreams. An athiest would argue that is an experience beyond the comprehension of our known science or that it is all the result of electricity in relation to neurons firing and possibly how lack of oxygen effects our perception...possibly a hallucination. A religious person might say that the experience could be beyond the comprehension of our physical human mind or glimpses of an afterlife. You are the only one that knows how real or unreal it was and what to takeaway. My name is Paul as well, nice to meet you!
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Ugh, I can't even believe I'm going to tell this story, but here goes. I had a dream almost 14 years ago...I remember it vividly. From off to the side I could see myself standing in front of this table with three figures that appeared to be men on the left and right, but the one in the middle I could not see the face. It was blinding white in the middle. I could see myself talking though, having a conversation. The room was not ornate, but I guess the best way to describe it was...it was clean. Pure. Everything seemed to be absolute perfection.

I could not hear anything. I could not hear a word that I saw myself saying, and I could not hear anything that was being said to me. The conversation seemed to be serious in nature. The demeanor just seemed to be stern I guess.

Suddenly it vanished and this booming voice in my right ear rang through my head. I know this sounds stupid, but it resembled James Earl Jones...didn't sound like him, but that is as close as I can come to having heard something similar. If you have seen the Lion King, when the cloud appears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXEO1N5ijQ

...that is almost exactly how it sounded as far as tone goes. It was authoritative, booming, and deep...it echoed...almost like the sound reverberated through my entire body.

All it said was Matthew 10:27. That was it. But it was like someone was lying right next to me saying that to me in my right ear, and I always slept on the left side of the bed. My eyes instantly opened, as if I hadn't even been asleep. I looked over just knowing someone had to be next to me, but no one was there. It was sunny out, no one else was around, no TV on, nothing. I was scared at first, thinking someone was in my house. Then I thought I was crazy. Then I figured well, there was probably no verse like that in the Bible. Then I went to my wife's Bible and opened it only to find that verse.

" 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops. "

That's my weird experience.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited November 2016
    I don't know what you weigh, but I know a few people that lost weight and their apnea and snoring seemed to be much less prevalent.

As far as the "afterlife" thing, the brain does odd things when it lacks oxygen.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I don't know what you weigh, but I know a few people that lost weight and their apnea and snoring seemed to be much less prevalent.

As far as the "afterlife" thing, the brain does odd things when it lacks oxygen.

I lost a bunch of weight about a year ago through severe anxiety, and my snoring stopped completely. I gained it all back and then some, which, in my opinion, is what is causing it again. Time to lay off the doritos!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    a sleep study should be in your near future to see how severe your apnea really is. it's a ball of joy for sure. lots of wires hooked up to your head, legs, arms, torso & where ever else. you'll be staying overnight in a sleep study clinic as a medical team watch & video you sleeping or what would be trying to sleep/breathe. you should look into this asap.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Eating good cookies before bed make me sleep like a baby , and why is she on the couch if your the one making all the noise you should let her go to sleep 1st and then you !

she goes when I'm asleep. so she isn't giving me the choice. the other part of it is, I slept on an air matress in the basement for over 2 years because of it. then I got a snoreguard and moved back into our room. Then I lost weight and didn't need the thing anymore. Now I've gained it back and the problem has returned. she knows it sucks for me being on the couch, as I'm 6 feet and don't fit. she's 4'11" and fits easily, so it's not as much of a drag for her.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Sounds much like pjhawks says. Things like this are called hypnopompic hallucinations (just as you wake up) or hypnagogic (just as you fall asleep). They can be incredibly vivid and, yes, frightening. They're basically when you still have some awareness but your brain is basically in the early stages of sleep. Well characterized, scientifically, and very common. And no need to worry you are dying.

if sleep apnea gets bad enough, it can cause cardiac arrest. this knowledge is not helping my anxiety issue. so I'm just going to wear my snoreguard again until I lose the weight necessary.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

do you have morning headaches? after waking up are you tired as if you hadn't slept? do you fall asleep or doze off during the day as you are sitting there doing your thing? ever fall asleep while driving?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

if sleep apnea gets bad enough, it can cause cardiac arrest. this knowledge is not helping my anxiety issue. so I'm just going to wear my snoreguard again until I lose the weight necessary.
    You're correct about the link between sleep apnea and cardiac arrest. I just meant that the unusual experiences during waking or falling asleep aren't the same as near death experiences. Sorry for not being clear. I hope you do manage to get back into good enough shape that the sleep apnea issue gets resolved.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    chadwick said:

do you have morning headaches? after waking up are you tired as if you hadn't slept? do you fall asleep or doze off during the day as you are sitting there doing your thing? ever fall asleep while driving?

I feel tired a lot of the time, yes. never fallen asleep while driving. never been that bad. but the last few weeks I have been incredibly tired at my desk at work no matter how much coffee I've had.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sleep paralysis is pretty well documented and you had a pretty typical presentation.
    It used to happen to me 2-6 times a month! That is atypical lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I'm not sure it was sleep paralysis. I recall having that once before, as a child (fucking clown dream, when I woke up, it was standing in my bedroom doorway). I tried to move but couldn't. This wasn't that. This was me choosing not to move, seemingly reverting back to my childhood theory that if you stay under the covers, the monsters can't get you (LOL). Or maybe I just thought I was choosing not to? Who knows.

Hope that shit doesn't happen again.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

besides all the sleep paralysis & unexplainable hocus pocus, sleep apnea is none of that & is a really serious medical condition that requires some work on your part, like for starters - getting an appointment at a sleep clinic. i've had three sleep studies done over the years in illinois, washington & iowa. it blows but it is what it takes to get you feeling wonderful again. i will bug the hell out of you in this thread until you get to a sleep clinic. by the way, you do not have to be heavy to have sleep apnea.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited November 2016
    chadwick said:

besides all the sleep paralysis & unexplainable hocus pocus, sleep apnea is none of that & is a really serious medical condition that requires some work on your part, like for starters - getting an appointment at a sleep clinic. i've had three sleep studies done over the years in illinois, washington & iowa. it blows but it is what it takes to get you feeling wonderful again. i will bug the hell out of you in this thread until you get to a sleep clinic. by the way, you do not have to be heavy to have sleep apnea.

I know that, but it only affects ME when I'm heavy (a tall skinny friend of mine has it and uses a CPAP machine). I did the sleep clinic thing, well, I had to do it at home, as there is limited space in sleep clinics in Canada, a few years back. I had to hook myself up to this machine and attempt to sleep. I got all knotted up in the wires and shit. I took it off halfway through the night. They found no sleep apnea back then, only snoring issues. And as I said, the snoreguard stopped that completely (unless I had a night with too many beverages). So I'll use that again until the fat melts off.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

true, i did forget they have gear one takes home & hooks himself up to. you're doing ok with the snoreguard... still you should get a referral & have an appointment setup at a sleep clinic. you'll be a new guy & you'll do cartwheels.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Dude, passed loved ones visit us when we are in dream state.
    & at other times

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

& at other times

True
    Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True
    with respect, I don't believe that to be true.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True
    I have no clue one way or the other (and yes, I am a hard core Atheist), but I sure HOPE it's not true. I don't want dead people hanging out and watching me when I don't know. Fuck off ghosts. Talk about a violation of privacy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True
    And that's for you to choose to believe. The more open minded you are, the more experiences can happen, but when you close your mind shut; insisting it doesn't happen or assuming it is something logical overtakes everything else.

Why did you post this? What are you looking for? (Other than sleep apnea advice)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True
    And that's for you to choose to believe. The more open minded you are, the more experiences can happen, but when you close your mind shut; insisting it doesn't happen or assuming it is something logical overtakes everything else.

Why did you post this? What are you looking for? (Other than sleep apnea advice)
    Having an open mind doesn't mean squat when you are trying to believe something that can't be proven. I can have an open mind that blue monkeys live inside the moon but that would be ridiculous.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    The other night, Thanksgiving night, I dreamt I was in my bed (I was) and a woman walked in and up to me and gave me something. Then I woke up. The same night, I swear something big downstairs toppled over, a huge crash. Nothing was out of place the next day, nothing.

Things don't have to always make sense. There is a lot of unexplained, man doesn't have the ability to define every single phenomenon.
  • Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True

It's a little judgmental to say you are more open minded because you believe in ghosts.
    Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True

I don't close my mind to anything. I am more agnostic than atheist, really, so I'll believe it if I see it, or see proof of it. when a religious nut asks me, I say atheist. that way they don't start spouting their organized religion cult shit to me.

Why did I post this? To see if anyone has any similar experiences. Just to "put it out there", I guess. I thought it was fucking weird, and it kind of rattled me. I told a co worker, and he just laughed. I don't understand why any time I ask questions about anything to do with the unexplainable, someone always seems to assume I'm looking for something to fill some void in my life, like answers to life's big mysteries or something, and they seem to get annoyed when they find out they don't have the answers they thought I was seeking.

I'm not. I'm really not that fucking deep.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• It all can be explained by the brains lack of oxygen. Not ghosts.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited November 2016
    Free said:

The other night, Thanksgiving night, I dreamt I was in my bed (I was) and a woman walked in and up to me and gave me something. Then I woke up. The same night, I swear something big downstairs toppled over, a huge crash. Nothing was out of place the next day, nothing.

Things don't have to always make sense. There is a lot of unexplained, man doesn't have the ability to define every single phenomenon.

Imagination defines quite a bit. A huge crash doesn't occur without something creating it...otherwise the sound would not exist.

edit...why wouldn't you have investigated at the moment you heard this huge crash? I would have been downstairs in a second to see what the hell was going on. Unless I was asleep and dreaming of course.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville