Options

Castro has died.....

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

^^^
    Che was a commie
    Government is a disease.
    Government is violence.
    You can't reason with statists.
    I don't need rulers, I rule myself.
    Beta males and cuckservatives.

You are a walking notebook full of nutty catchphrases lol

Cuck is my new favorite word
    Careful.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

^^^
    Che was a commie
    Government is a disease.
    Government is violence.

And yet you can't dispute your shit policies that would never exist in a voluntary system.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

JimmyV said:

So has Bafoon issued a statement yet or will he attend the funeral Putin might want him too you know just to represent !

He literally tweeted "Fidel Castro is dead!" complete with exclamation point.
    Ha haha he's so diplomatic !
    Castro is responsible for the deaths of thousands.

I doubt their families care about your opinion over a tweet.
    your leaders are responsible for the deaths of millions.
    No reason to attack me, this is known, which is why I no longer participate in their sham of a political system.
    "Do you vote against the greater evil if you don't happen to like the other candidate? The answer to that is yes," says Chomsky, on Americans who cast their votes for third party candidates or simply stayed home on election day.

"If you have any moral understanding, you want to keep the greater evil out," says Chomsky.
    emphasis added
    Eating a five pound shit sandwich isn't more morally appealing than eating a six pound shit sandwich.

Government is violence.

Voting is only how that violence is organized.
    What if someone told you that your failure to eat a five pound shit sandwich would result in your being forced to eat a six pound shit sandwich?

In addition, I'm curious as to how you feel that either of your other statements (government is violence, voting is how violence is organized) hold true.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

^^^
    Che was a commie
    Government is a disease.
    Government is violence.

And yet you can't dispute your shit policies that would never exist in a voluntary system.

Which ones wouldn't exist in a voluntary system?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited November 2016
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well Hitler did oppress political dissent and the press, and imprisoned political activists, and banned trade unions.... There are parallels. Anyone who refuses to recognize parallels between current leaders and Hitler, even when the parallels are proven fact, are simply suffering from a mental block.

sure ... so, stephen harper blocked the press ... should I call him hitler and tyrannical too?
    Harper wasn't tyrannical in the way Castro was, and wasn't an dictator, but I am happy to discuss any parallels between Hitler and Harper. You sure ain't going to get any arguments from me about what a price Harper is. It's just that this is another thread about Castro. Also, the parallels between Castro and Hitler are factually more numerous and comparable than those between Hitler and Harper. I don't actually understand why you think alluding to other people who have their own faults somehow strengthens your argument about Castro. Liken somehow if some other random politician is an asshole, that somehow means Castro isn't one?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

^^^
    Che was a commie
    Government is a disease.
    Government is violence.

I would love to have any sort of dispute you'd like, but you "won't" (can't) engage in debate, you just hit and run.

A voluntary system lol. You sound like a commie!

Please point me to the successful implementation of a voluntary system.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well Hitler did oppress political dissent and the press, and imprisoned political activists, and banned trade unions.... There are parallels. Anyone who refuses to recognize parallels between current leaders and Hitler, even when the parallels are proven fact, are simply suffering from a mental block.

sure ... so, stephen harper blocked the press ... should I call him hitler and tyrannical too?
    Harper wasn't tyrannical in the way Castro was, and wasn't an dictator, but I am happy to discuss any parallels between Hitler and Harper. You sure ain't going to get any arguments from me about what a price Harper is. It's just that this is another thread about Castro. Also, the parallels between Castro and Hitler are factually more numerous and comparable than those between Hitler and Harper. I don't actually understand why you think alluding to other people who have their own faults somehow strengthens your argument about Castro. Liken somehow if some other random politician is an asshole, that somehow means Castro isn't one?
    my point here was only parallels can be drawn between any two people - it doesn't make the comparison legitimate ... there is a reality that is Cuba over the last half century ... not all of what is written or spoken of is true ... i re-iterate ... this was a country that the US tried to intervene and topple since the 60's ... this is a country that's only fault was that it embraced communism ... something we now know not to be evil in its philosophy like it was branded (and still believed by some) ... can anyone actually argue communism is more evil than capitalism after all we know now!? ...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

my point here was only parallels can be drawn between any two people - it doesn't make the comparison legitimate ... there is a reality that is Cuba over the last half century ... not all of what is written or spoken of is true ... i re-iterate ... this was a country that the US tried to intervene and topple since the 60's ... this is a country that's only fault was that it embraced communism ... something we now know not to be evil in its philosophy like it was branded (and still believed by some) ... can anyone actually argue communism is more evil than capitalism after all we know now!? ...

I argue that actual Communism has not yet existed as a national system of government. The word "Communism" was hijacked by dictators. Communism can only exist in its real form of the people can avoid greed and corruption, and embrace equality. So far, human beings have proven themselves incapable of that. Communism is too good for human society (so far). Capitalism on the other hand... well that is a system that is really very suitable for us greedy, power hungry, bigoted humans. Capitalism is like a metaphor for human nature, and it's really depressing.

Parallels that exist are parallels that exist. They are facts. That means they act as legitimate comparisons.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

intersting times ahead just got more interesting.......

I'm still wondering g what you meant by thjs.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    For what it's worth, as objectionable as I found his initial statement of condolences to be, I would have had no problem with Trudeau attending Castro's funeral, given his family's connections to Castro (I was secretly wondering as well if Trudeau's initial, glowing statement was him working to avoid being asked to give a similarly upbeat eulogy at the funeral, but obviously not).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

I argue that actual Communism has not yet existed as a national system of government. The word "Communism" was hijacked by dictators. Communism can only exist in its real form of the people can avoid greed and corruption, and embrace equality. So far, human beings have proven themselves incapable of that. Communism is too good for human society (so far). Capitalism on the other hand... well that is a system that is really very suitable for us greedy, power hungry, bigoted humans. Capitalism is like a metaphor for human nature, and it's really depressing.

Parallels that exist are parallels that exist. They are facts. That means they act as legitimate comparisons.
    So well put, PJ_Soul! Communism is the Holy Grail of government on paper, but human flaws prevent it from being executed properly.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes. I can argue that. Now more then ever.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Go for it then. I mean Communism, not totalitarianism.
    I'll help: there is nothing evil about Communism.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Unfortunately you cannot have one without the other.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

You can't have communism at all then. Totalitarianism and how that has played out under the guise of communism is NOT Communism. I believe that people may evolve enough to make communism possible. So far, it has never existed as a form of national government (I'm sure there still some small communes that are managing it).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

You can't have communism at all then. Totalitarianism and how that has played out under the guise of communism is NOT Communism. I believe that people may evolve enough to make communism possible. So far, it has never existed as a form of national government (I'm sure there still some small communes that are managing it).
    Shouldn't the fact that it has never existed in the way you imagine it prove that it cannot exist at all? The communism you envision is a myth which is what makes it so evil in the first place. Even with the best of intentions it can only lead to tyranny and self-destruction.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Shouldn't the fact that it has never existed in the way you imagine it prove that it cannot exist at all? The communism you envision is a myth which is what makes it so evil in the first place. Even with the best of intentions it can only lead to tyranny and self-destruction.
    communism exists as a theory without human greed/ego/etc. how the fuck is that evil?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

communism exists as a theory without human greed/ego/etc. how the fuck is that evil?
    It is evil because it is an abstract theory that pollutes the mind and causes those to chase that which can't exist. That chase always leads to the oppression and tyranny of others in the name of the greater good.
  • Options
    people get all bent out of shape when you mention it in context of the USSR and China. That's not communism. I would argue that primitive man was communist. he just didn't know it. :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

No, because of the future. I'm sure you've heard of it.
    FYI, there were NEVER the best of intentions behind so-called "communist" revolutions. However, yes, I think that people could (they may not, but they could) evolve to a point when greed and power and money doesn't rule everything. That you think that is a myth is actually pretty sad. I'm not living in a fantasyland btw (I just predicted your comeback to what I'm saying, lol). I am simply openminded enough to allow room for such possibilities. And allowing that room for possibility is the ONLY thing that has ever lead to positive change throughout history.
    But me, I'm not a Communist. I'm a democratic socialist, which is why Bernie Sanders basically strikes me as the best thing since sliced bread, lol.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

It is evil because it is an abstract theory that pollutes the mind and causes those to chase that which can't exist. That chase always leads to the oppression and tyranny of others in the name of the greater good.
    I think you are talking about religion here.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Communism is a religion.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Communism is a religion.
    No it's not. Also, it's the people who twist the idea of communism into an unrecognizable deviation who are evil, not communism. It's pretty silly that you blame a socio-economic theory on evil human actions.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Communism is a religion.
    :dizzy:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

FYI, there were NEVER the best of intentions behind so-called "communist" revolutions. However, yes, I think that people could (they may not, but they could) evolve to a point when greed and power and money doesn't rule everything. That you think that is a myth is actually pretty sad. I'm not living in a fantasyland btw (I just predicted your comeback to what I'm saying, lol). I am simply openminded enough to allow room for such possibilities. And allowing that room for possibility is the ONLY thing that has ever lead to positive change throughout history.
    But me, I'm not a Communist. I'm a democratic socialist, which is why Bernie Sanders basically strikes me as the best thing since sliced bread, lol.
    Democratic socialism is just baby steps to socialism which is only a short ride to full out totalitarianism. All one has to do is look at the last 15 years in Venezuela to see how that story ends.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't know about evil, but maybe misguided?

Point A: Greed, corruption, and ego are part of the human package
    Point B: Possession of greed, corruption, and ego will lead to a corrupt communist society

With these things being said, couldn't you argue that each and every communist society is bound to be exploited to lead to a corrupt society?

EV
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

Democratic socialism is just baby steps to socialism which is only a short ride to full out totalitarianism. All one has to do is look at the last 15 years in Venezuela to see how that story ends.
    :dizzy: You sound like Joseph McCarthy. It's hilarious.
    But yeah, they fucked up in Venezuela. Again, don't blame the socio-economic theory on the bad actions of a bunch of assholes. It's ridiculous.
  • Options
    benjs said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't know about evil, but maybe misguided?

Point A: Greed, corruption, and ego are part of the human package
    Point B: Possession of greed, corruption, and ego will lead to a corrupt communist society

With these things being said, couldn't you argue that each and every communist society is bound to be exploited to lead to a corrupt society?
    absolutely. right now. but communism isn't evil in theory itself. just in its application by humans at this stage in our stupidity.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

But yeah, they fucked up in Venezuela. Again, don't blame the socio-economic theory on the bad actions of a bunch of assholes. It's ridiculous.
    I sound like Joe McCarthy? An election just ended where Trump and evey supporter was accused of being in the back pocket of Russia. What's ridiculous it that after all this time and only evidence of failure you still believe in the socio-economic theory of communism. The excuse is always "it just wasn't done right". Castro thought he was going to do it right. Chavez thought he was going to do it right. It can't be done without taking away an individual's right to choose.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

I sound like Joe McCarthy? An election just ended where Trump and evey supporter was accused of being in the back pocket of Russia. What's ridiculous it that after all this time and only evidence of failure you still believe in the socio-economic theory of communism. The excuse is always "it just wasn't done right". Castro thought he was going to do it right. Chavez thought he was going to do it right. It can't be done without taking away an individual's right to choose.
    There is no "believing" in the socio-economic theory of communism. It is a theory, written down on paper in black and white. I doubt I have to mention again that I know communism is not currently feasible because of what people are at this point in human history, right? Or I guess I do, since you seem to have forgotten that I said it. I said very clearly more than once that I simply think humans can possibly evolve to a point when they will be capable of it. That isn't such an outlandish idea. I'm not making excuses at all. I very clearly "just wasn't done right" because people can't do it right yet (not large groups anyway). My main point was that Communism isn't something for you to be "against" and all wary and scared of, because Communism doesn't even exist as a government and never has. What you're worried about is totalitarian dictatorships. Same here.