Thoughts on TOTD tour ?

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Was at Philly 1. epic show. amazing covers. all of them sounded awesome. no Ed needed to make this a memorable show.
    also got to meet Stone, Mike and Chris.
    well worth the 10 hour drive.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• The dates did not work for me so I was unable to go to any of the shows. Really wanted to be able to see this live. I honestly thought when Ed teased Wooden Jesus at N2 of Fenway, that he was going to make an appearance on the tour at some point. I am jealous of all that was able to attend.
  • lolobugg said:

Was at Philly 1. epic show. amazing covers. all of them sounded awesome. no Ed needed to make this a memorable show.

Spill! (please)
    I'm through with screaming
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Attended both Seattle shows. Had a wonderful time! :)

If they do get a chance to play some shows outside the USA next year here's hoping they come up North. Maybe 2 nights @ Massey Hall, or the Rebecca Cohn.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

lolobugg said:

Spill! (please)
    We just waited outside the exit door. Chris came out first and walked right over and was mobbed. signed my Tower Theater poster. pretty much signed everyone's and jumped into the SUV and then was GONE. Jeff and Matt came out next jumped in the next SUV. Matt waived and then they were GONE. We waited around for a while knowing that Mike would definitely sign and sure enough he came out and made his way down the line. Security had put up barricades at this point. Mike started on the left and all of a sudden- Stone pops out and starts signing at the opposite end. Luckily we were on that side as he didn't sign all the way down. I called Mike's attention to my friend's KISS shirt and Mike started talking with him about the best "era" of KISS. (I am not a fan). He also gave some buttons to a couple of women that asked him about it. Mike- super nice dude just like everyone says. Stone was a little apprehensive but did give me a smile when I said something stupid.

So now I have 3 of the 5 autographs and since I live in the South I can probably forget about ever getting Jeff's autograph. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• It's awesome reading this thread, and seeing people's reactions to Mike's guitar playing from this tour. I couldn't (& still can't) get over what I saw him do @ Philly 1. It was something from another planet & almost had me thinking that Pearl Jam holds him back to an extent.
    I do love what he does w/ PJ, but man, I would really love some more TOTD shows, or something similar so I can see him cut loose like that again.

I tried to pay some attention to Stone, but I kept looking back over to the left side & watching Mike (he even made the end of Four Walled World exciting - it's possibly my least favorite track from TOTD, but to say he got into the song doesn't do it justice; he was spinning around going nuts, really feeling the song - it was incredible).

Mike McCready made the show for me, no doubt about it.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Holy mary mother of god

Ill never get to witness Mike like that.

Ok and what memo did I miss that this tour was all about andy?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Temple of the Dog was a tribute to Andy. The whole reason the band exists and those songs were written.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • FoxyRedLa said:

Holy mary mother of god

Ill never get to witness Mike like that.

Ok and what memo did I miss that this tour was all about andy?
    hahahaha so awesome
  • It's awesome reading this thread, and seeing people's reactions to Mike's guitar playing from this tour. I couldn't (& still can't) get over what I saw him do @ Philly 1. It was something from another planet & almost had me thinking that Pearl Jam holds him back to an extent.

I completely understand.
    TOTD and other side bands really display how loose they can get. Collectively however with EV bring it all in they harness a tight energy that begs more from the listener. Pearl Jam is so fucking tight that Mikes guitar pierces the ears and you have to play catch up. No other band can do this. Pearl Jam is a solid base. Watching that video truly shows what Mike can do but there are some songs from the PJ catalogue that he shreds the doubters to disbelief but then can play a song like SBMS.
    Pearl Jam is the cream of the crop.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I was able to go to both Seattle shows. HUGE THANKS go to my ticket buddy that dumbfounded me by calling to ask if I wanted a ticket upgrade to the pit for night 2.

I don't mind that Ed wasn't there...I was at PJ20. The show was about Andy, and that's who should shine the brightest. A little disappointed that Chloe/Crown wasn't played, but watching the guys tear up playing certain songs just about had me bawling.

Very glad I was able to go...it was an amazing experience and to share it with great friends was really special.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Me and a buddy flew in from OK for the 1st show in Seattle. Met lots of cool folks from all over the US and world all there for the show. The lines inside for bar and merch were rediculous but the vibe was amazing. It felt like we were at a private party. Ten club delivered with 5th row seats (thank you very much). Awesome trip to see an amazing show and absorb the whole experience.
    Even got to catch an always hilarious show with Steel Panther while in town and ubered out to Renton to visit Jimi and to West Seattle to Easy Street and grabbed a few records and get a pic with the repainted MLB mural outside.
    seen em at: 08/31/98 - Raleigh : 05/10/00 - Mnt Baker Theatre, Wa : 11/02/00 - PDX  : 11/05/00 & 11/06/00 - SEA : 4/3/03 - OKC : 10/03/04 - Grand Rapids : 05/03/10 - KC : 11/15/13 - Dallas : 11/16/13 - OKC  : 10/09/14 - Tulsa : 11/20/2016 - ToTD Seattle : 08/10/2018 - SEA : 09/20/2022 - OKC
  • blindmuleblindmule Albany, NY Posts: 138
    I went to MSG and thought the show was spectacular start to finish, it was great to see those tunes played alongside some fantastic covers. I think my favorite part might have been seeing the Mother Love Bone songs played live - they are instrumentally killer songs, but I honestly never cared for Andy Wood's voice so hearing them played w/ Cornell singing really brought them to life for me. Plus I have to admit that getting to hear "Pushin Forward Back" was just ridiculously awesome!
  • I am very grateful for having seen one show this past tour. I feel, for me at least, that travelling to see multiple shows would not have been the best as the set lists didn't differ drastically like a PJ show. I feel the ToTD songs killed, Chris did the MLB songs very, very well and the covers were wide ranging and also executed very well.

It also bothers me that people were expecting Ed. People really missing the point of these shows who bought tickets to Seattle specifically because they thought that would give them the best chance at seeing Ed with ToTD.
    Settings > Signature Settings > Hide Signatures Always
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    blindmule said:

I went to MSG and thought the show was spectacular start to finish, it was great to see those tunes played alongside some fantastic covers. I think my favorite part might have been seeing the Mother Love Bone songs played live - they are instrumentally killer songs, but I honestly never cared for Andy Wood's voice so hearing them played w/ Cornell singing really brought them to life for me. Plus I have to admit that getting to hear "Pushin Forward Back" was just ridiculously awesome!

Yes, Pushin forward back was amazing live. Blew me away.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • StixumStixum Chicago, IL Posts: 32
    How about that Fantastic Negrito?!?!?!?! What a killer opener!
    2009 - Chicago
    2010 - NY 2
    2012 - Music Midtown
    2013 - Charlotte, LA 1, LA 2, Wrigley
    2014 - St Louis, ACL Fest 2
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Columbia, Ottawa, Toronto, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, San Fran 2 (TOTD), LA (TOTD)
    2017 - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018 - London 1, London 2, Padova, Seattle 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2021 - Ohana 1
    2022 - Las Vegas, Nashville, St. Louis
    2023 - St. Paul 1, St. Paul 2, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Noblesville
  • lolobugg said:

lolobugg said:

Spill! (please)
    We just waited outside the exit door. Chris came out first and walked right over and was mobbed. signed my Tower Theater poster. pretty much signed everyone's and jumped into the SUV and then was GONE. Jeff and Matt came out next jumped in the next SUV. Matt waived and then they were GONE. We waited around for a while knowing that Mike would definitely sign and sure enough he came out and made his way down the line. Security had put up barricades at this point. Mike started on the left and all of a sudden- Stone pops out and starts signing at the opposite end. Luckily we were on that side as he didn't sign all the way down. I called Mike's attention to my friend's KISS shirt and Mike started talking with him about the best "era" of KISS. (I am not a fan). He also gave some buttons to a couple of women that asked him about it. Mike- super nice dude just like everyone says. Stone was a little apprehensive but did give me a smile when I said something stupid.

So now I have 3 of the 5 autographs and since I live in the South I can probably forget about ever getting Jeff's autograph. :lol:
    Nice! I didn't wait around after the show, not really my thing, but I'm super envious!
    I'm through with screaming
  • iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443
    I saw the MSG show. It was great to hear the entire TOTD album performed live, and I thought overall the performance was great. Cornell struggled a little earlier in the set, but was killing by the middle and end. I liked the covers (War Pigs!!!), liked the MLB stuff for sure. Overall, I am thrilled that I got to see them. Would I pay to go see them again? Probably not - not because it sucked but just because I viewed this as a check-the-box kind of show - I've now seen all the TOTD stuff live and loved it. Don't feel the need to see it again, and definitely wouldn't travel to see it again like I did for the MSG show.
    People keep talking about Ed. I was fortunate to be at PJ20 so saw Hunger Strike (ALL performers) twice, and this is probably why I was totally fine with Ed not being at the TOTD shows. The audience singing was very cool.
    Just my two cents.
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • Bumping this video again because well.......
    holy hell
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Bumping this video again because well.......
    holy hell
    So freaking awesome!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • camel1206camel1206 Chicago Posts: 65
    Hunger Strike came on radio other day, I couldn't help but get chills. I wasn't necessarily a huge Mother Love Bone or Temple of the Dog fan, but appreciated the good music. I jumped at the chance to go one of these special shows, seeing the guys share the stage and be part of something special. Consider myself darn lucky to be at Los Angeles show.

Chicago '13
    New York 1 & 2 '16
    Chicago 1 & 2 '16
    Temple of the Dog '16 - Los Angeles
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    oh hell, I need to edit my pics from the show...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • The tour was about Andy Wood, not Eddie. Having the crowd sing Eddie's parts was beautiful.

Eddie showing up and singing – like on the record – wouldn't make it about Eddie and/or not about Andy.

That's as weird of an argument as "Force Awakens needed to copy A New Hope to a tee to get Star Wars fans confidence back"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

The tour was about Andy Wood, not Eddie. Having the crowd sing Eddie's parts was beautiful.

Eddie showing up and singing – like on the record – wouldn't make it about Eddie and/or not about Andy.

That's as weird of an argument as "Force Awakens needed to copy A New Hope to a tee to get Star Wars fans confidence back"
    It isn't a weird argument at all given the Vedder disciples around here. If Ed came on stage the first night, there would have been endless Ed chants the rest of the tour. How many posts on this board wondered or speculated about Ed joining in - for Hunger Strike, or to do backup vocals, or to open the show, or for the encore, etc... For a brief period there was more talk about Ed being part of TOTD than about TOTD itself. I am very glad he didn't show. It allowed the rest of the band to shine, and allowed the show to be about TOTD and Andy. Ed has a cult of personality around him that is very distracting.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    MSG was one of my favorite shows ever, any band. They were spot on, I had great seats at "the world's most famous arena", I heard MLB songs that I never would have imagined hearing, and full ToTD album was epic.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    jeffbr said:

The tour was about Andy Wood, not Eddie. Having the crowd sing Eddie's parts was beautiful.

It isn't a weird argument at all given the Vedder disciples around here. If Ed came on stage the first night, there would have been endless Ed chants the rest of the tour. How many posts on this board wondered or speculated about Ed joining in - for Hunger Strike, or to do backup vocals, or to open the show, or for the encore, etc... For a brief period there was more talk about Ed being part of TOTD than about TOTD itself. I am very glad he didn't show. It allowed the rest of the band to shine, and allowed the show to be about TOTD and Andy. Ed has a cult of personality around him that is very distracting.
    Agreed.

I thought it would have been cool if EV showed up to sing on one or two songs, but after the Philly 1 show, I was glad he didn't.
    I definitely think he would have overshadowed the band, and Cornell especially. (To me, Vedder seems like more of a natural, affable front man where IMO Cornell has to work harder at it.)

The last thing that show needed was Eddie chants; that would have completely taken away from the amazing atmosphere that night and what the band was trying to do.
  • edited January 2017
    Sang I'm a Mover all the way home tonight and just wanna say I hope it's not tooo long before this band tours again. Really something special :) Fall 2017/Winter 2018 guys??