Options

Thoughts on TOTD tour ?

Comments

• Options
    VikkivaleVikkivale Los Angeles, CA Posts: 223
    I went to all five West Coast shows and I thought each show got better and better. I didn't mind nearly the same set list each night, though I did miss the element of surprise a little. I had the most fun at night 2 in Seattle and I thought that show had the best crowd. My only disappointment was no Chloe/Crown.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Was at all the shows except LA and loved every minute of if. Philly 1 had some kinks which got worked out by Philly 2. Best shows for me were San Francisco, I remember being in awe of Chris' vocals at SF1, then things just got taken to the next level at SF2. Stone seemed to be having a blast at all the shows, he was bouncing all around the stage and was doing a fancy sliding side to side move on some of the songs which I've never seen Stone do before. I really liked seeing Chris go up to each member from time to time and putting his arm around them or in Mike's case, jumping in unison or adding an extra set of hands to his guitar. MVP was definitely Matt, the drumming was more intense than on PJ songs, he was unbelievable and I enjoyed seeing him in his element. It was just in general nice to see the band get into some songs which would never have worked with Eddie on vocals, and also seeing the different onstage interaction.

Seasons with a full band was a real treat, and I'm so pleased to have gotten to hear Hey Baby live. My favourite TOTD songs were Your Saviour, Reach Down and Call Me A Dog. Could have done without Quicksand, I don't think it suited Chris' voice but I appreciate the attempt.

I think it was appropriate for Ed not to be part of the tour, but do think he should have showed up at one of the Seattle shows to do Hunger Strike. I understand why he didn't though, he was really just a bystander for this, he didn't know Andrew Wood and wasn't part of the grieving process, plus his being there would have made it Pearl Jam + Chris Cornell and may have taken something away from the shows.

I feel truly blessed to have been able to make all the shows I did and experiencing the entire album live. I've always enjoyed the songs when Cornell did them solo, but seeing them live with the full band was such a treat.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 280

seanwon said:

Cornell sounded better than I expected. I think the same set list every night sucked some juice out of the later shows on the tour. People were practically trying to give tickets away for some of the west Coast shows it seemed. No problem with playing mostly the same songs every night, they only have one album....but at least mix up the order so there is some surprise and originality in each show! But it was a great night overall, band and Chris sounded great. Would see them again if they came around for sure.

I wonder if the juice you talk about is that people wanted EV to appear to sing in Hunger Strike.
    Definitely part of it. People were chanting for Eddie at MSG half an hour after Hunger Strike had been played, which baffled me.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2016
    During the past qtr century, TOTD could've popped their tour cherry any other time. Real grateful they chose to do so while I live near two of the venues, and had help from selfless friends who were able to put me in amazing seats. Just very happy to witness history... at times through the phone of the lady sitting about 4 rows in front of me. Glad your experience was validated by hearts and thumbs flying accross your live stream
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • Options
    I really enjoyed Philly night 2. Cornell sounded better I thought than when I saw Soundgarden two years ago. Mike McCready is just unbelievable. The MLB songs were great to hear live especially Stardog Champion, Holy Roller and Stargazer. I won't lie though I really wanted to hear Cornell do Crown Of Throns, but I feel like that's almost a Pearl Jam song in a way now so I get why they didn't play it. I'm kinda glad Ed didn't show up to any of the shows. Where they filming at any of the west coast shows? I know they were filming at both Philly shows. Also on a little side note. After Philly 2. Mike and Stone came out a couple hours after the show and signed some stuff and took pictures with fans. I missed this unfortunately but my friend met them, and said they were two of the nicest people she's ever met especially Mike.
    "If you're like me, then you know me"

2006: Camden 1
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 1, Philly 2, Philly 3, Philly 4
    2013: Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2,
    2017: Temple of The Dog Philly 2
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    edited November 2016

Ed didn't know Andy, TOTD wasn't his band, he respectfully stepped aside.

I think this says more about your pre-convieved views on Pearl Jam than about what happened. Because you don't know how or if he had to step aside aside.

Or if you do:

(And for someone who didn't know Andy, Eddie sure talks, cries and sings on tribute albums about and for him a lot)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Ed didn't know Andy, TOTD wasn't his band, he respectfully stepped aside.

I think this says more about your pre-convieved views on Pearl Jam than about what happened. Because you don't know how or if he had to step aside aside.

Or if you do:

(And for someone who didn't know Andy, Eddie sure talks, cries and sings on tribute albums about and for him a lot)
    WTF? Do you think Ed and Andy hung out? When? Where? And nobody said he "had" to step aside. People are acknowledging that Ed likely excused himself from participating, since this tour really wasn't about him, and he would have created huge distractions. Anyone chanting for Ed at a show simply didn't understand what the show was about. The Vedder sycophants should just relax. He's still the guy fronting PJ. He just had no place in a TOTD tour.

I loved the show I saw. It was an amazing event. More than just a show. It was an experience I'd hoped to witness, but never expected to. It was emotional and beautiful. After seeing Pearl Jam so many times, it was magical to see the band with Chris center stage performing these tributes. Big thanks to Chris and PJ for making this happen.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    Suziemay said:

Stone seemed to be having a blast at all the shows, he was bouncing all around the stage and was doing a fancy sliding side to side move on some of the songs which I've never seen Stone do before. I really liked seeing Chris go up to each member from time to time and putting his arm around them or in Mike's case, jumping in unison or adding an extra set of hands to his guitar. MVP was definitely Matt, the drumming was more intense than on PJ songs, he was unbelievable and I enjoyed seeing him in his element.

I did not see any shows live but from the videos I saw, Suziemay's observations stood out to me too. Clearly there is a great deal of affection and appreciation for each other. When you see them outside of the Pearl Jam environment, like their partnership with Neil Young, you really get to see them shine in a different way. Stone really stood out to me too, he seemed energized in the shows. What a great band!

• Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    Tour was a lifetime in the making for me.. A holy grail type deal for me! It was the album my wife and I went to sleep to for our first 10 years together.. It just stayed in the CD player.. I hit 5 of the 8 shows and they continued to get stronger throughout the tour..

If I look back at all of the speculation before the tour of what the set would be it wasn't far off.. The covers were a little more obscure and they didn't do the demos but pretty close..

The performances were strong, emotionally connected and tight.

Would I have preferred to have a more varied set of covers or Ed popping in? Sure but neither were missed too much by me.. The momentum continued to build by them getting stronger with the same set.. The A/B pattern of switching the two Bowie tunes out and swapping Missing for Baby Lemonade at least had minimal variation..

As for Ed's absense, I do believe that these are all guys that have nothing but love and admiration for eachother. So if he was in town which he was at multiple shows and didn't perform it is about not distracting from the message of the night.. Even Mike has his section of fans in front of him that only watch him all night and I watched him point at them and gesture to watch Chris at the appropriate times... He would never do that at a PJ show.. This was a poignant time for music..
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    JMoneyJMoney Denver Posts: 44
    Suziemay said it all in my opinion. Front row at SF 1 and we wanted for nothing. Love Ed like a brother but he would likely have been a distraction that was not critical to these performances. The ability to revisit those songs and not having to follow the PJ paradigm, you could see the difference in the style and energy level from the band - made my heart and mind swell. If they don't ever do it again I feel very fortunate to have seen that band and performance in person.
    Lake Fairfax, VA '92 - Missoula, MT '12 - Baltimore '13 - Denver '14 - Telluride '16 - Denver '22
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

WTF? Do you think Ed and Andy hung out?

No.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I was at Seattle 1 & 2. The first night I was 12 rows from the front, Stone's side. The second night I was 12 rows from the back, Mike's side. Loved both nights, but definitely better to be closer to the front. I was blown away N1 with Pushin Forward Back. Wanted to hear River of Deceit so badly that I teared up a little N1. I wasn't really familiar with the MLB songs, really enjoyed them live, Stargazer and Man of Golden Words were standouts for me. And the covers - omg! Jump into the Fire (never heard this before) and Hey Baby were fantastic.

I was not expecting Ed to show up for the shows ... I think it would have detracted too much. But I was kind of thinking that we might see a special guest on stage in Seattle ... maybe Bruce Fairweather. I did think the giant Andy Wood cutout was a little creepy and also the poster. I know people thought the poster was awesome, but depicting Andy with a crown of thorns (like a Jesus figure) ... not my cup of tea.

It really felt to me that the guys on stage were having such a good time. N1 gave me a great view of Stone, grooving out with lots of smiles. And N2, it was great to see Matt rocking out. Loved every single second of these shows and would go to another one in a heartbeat.

Last words: WAR PIGS! F'n amazing.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    So now can we get some dates
    down the middle of the USA
    Chicago
    KC
    Dallas
    Houston
  • Options
    acost016acost016 SF Posts: 40
    Cornell doesn't mix up his sets nearly as much as PJ. Even with his Auioslave tours, solo, and SG shows, CC just doesn't vary his sets the way Eddie does.

That being said, I was not disappointed, but just know how much combined talent those musicians have...

Amazing shows all around, can't wait for next tour!
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I saw them at MSG, a tight, incredibly sounding (Chris sounded fantastic especially considering Him sounded rather weak with SG a couple years ago) and nostalgic reunion I was so very happy and grateful to experience. I loved TOTD in the 90s and seeing them play together, with some great covers was amazing.

That said, I was pretty surprised that Follow My Way, a personal fave, was not played nor has anyone really mentioned it. It is an intense vocal, so I can understand why they didn't do it, but was anyone else wondering why it was dropped?
  • Options
    I only saw Philly 1, but it was well worth the 12 hour round trip drive.

I'm pretty bummed that my show was the ONLY show where they didn't play River of Deceit, but I'll get over it.

It was an amazing night to see these musicians play a bunch of songs we never see them play. This was a phenomenally unique experience, and I'm glad I caught one of the shows.

I would love to see them do some more.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    I only saw MSG

That being said for a band with one album that never was performed live how can anyone expect more.

It was amazing. The band sounded great. The covers were great.

Just great.
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    Man, I wish they would add more dates at some point! I would love to see these guys! Plus, I wouldn't chant Ed's name!!!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    Philly 2 was insanely good! No Ed, no problem! This was the Andy Wood tour, very simple, not sure what is hard to understand. Majority of the songs performed were MLB songs or TOTD, both of which lead back to Andy, not Eddie.
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Im sure it was epic, but they Should a Could a played a show in Vancouver!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    Great show.

It was nice to see TOTD together.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    mcgruff10 said:
    Holy bejesus!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    No need for Eddie at all. Show was exactly what it should have been. Saw Philly 1 and MSG. Loved every second of them. Amazing to see the songs live.
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jesus man!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    RobbyD462 said:

Im sure it was epic, but they Should a Could a played a show in Vancouver!

ToTD at the Commodore would of been both epic and insanely hard to get tix :)
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Was at all the shows except LA and loved every minute of if.

u missed LA
    weak...