Options

Does anyone travel to other bands like they do PJ??

13»

Comments

• Options
    Zod said:

What distinction does everyone else make in terms of a show being in your area vs. being far enough away to be considered travel?

For me it's anything in 5 hours driving distance from the ferry. Vancouver, Seattle, and the Gorge pretty much. I know the East Coast is more popular for travel between shows because there's more cities and they're all closer together.

Driving/Ferry/Driving takes me about 3 to 3.5 hours to get to Vancouver, 5ish to Seattle and almost 8 to the Gorge. If that counts as travelling then I pretty much travel to everything PJ or non PJ :)

i would say any show that i have to get to that i have to stay over nite as a result of the long distance is a show traveled to. longest i will drive home after a show is 3hours
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    yessir! on stage is one hellofa way to see a show
    jjflash said:

rssesq said:

de la soul. Goin to Amsterdam in a few weeks to see them. albeit the weed is a draw as well

Didn't you get the VIP Kickstarter De La package? If you ever need a +1 for a southeastern US show holla! Hope you have a great time in Amsterdam :plus_one:
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Zod said:

What distinction does everyone else make in terms of a show being in your area vs. being far enough away to be considered travel?

For me it's anything in 5 hours driving distance from the ferry. Vancouver, Seattle, and the Gorge pretty much. I know the East Coast is more popular for travel between shows because there's more cities and they're all closer together.

Driving/Ferry/Driving takes me about 3 to 3.5 hours to get to Vancouver, 5ish to Seattle and almost 8 to the Gorge. If that counts as travelling then I pretty much travel to everything PJ or non PJ :)

Same situation. I call Edmonton and Calgary "local" but I have to drive 5hrs & 8hrs respectively. I think out of province counts as travelling, however, I've popped over to Van for quick weekends.
  • Options
    JAnderson12JAnderson12 Queens, NY Posts: 156
    I've traveled round trip 12 hrs on a Tuesday for a show in worcster MA , I think anything out of your city or round trip 3+ hours is traveling . I'm from NYC so it's a lil different cuz cities are closer but those 12 hrs to Massachusetts were well worth it for the 3 minutes of "fatal"

2010- MSG 5/21
    2011- Montreal 9/7
    2012 - made in America festival 9/2
    2013- wrigley 7/19 Pittsburgh 10/11 Worcester 10/15 Worcester 10/16 Brooklyn 10/18 Brooklyn 10/19 philly 10/21 philly 10/22 Hartford 10/25
    2014 - Austin TX 10/12
    2015 - NYC 9/26
    2016- Ft Lauderdale 4/8 Miami 4/9 Tampa 4/11 Jacksonville 4/13 Greenville 4/16 Hampton 4/18 Philly 4/28 philly 4/29 MSG 5/1 MSG 5/2 Fenway 8/5 Fenway 8/7 Wrigley 8/20 Wrigley 8/22
    2017- hopefully Europe

"If you hate something , don't you do it too"
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Tool
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Tool plays like 90 minutes... love them but not worth traveling imo
  • Options
    glennb2112glennb2112 memphis Posts: 247
    I drove from Memphis to Dallas and back the same day for RUSH...and the same for Atlanta.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    PJ_Soul said:

I can't afford it (not for PJ usually either), but if I could, there are a few other bands/artists I'd probably be into travelling for. Jack White, QOTSA, Neil Young... (and others if it's only a trip down to Seattle or something).

saw the White Stripes at the Orpheum in Vancouver in 2005. It was such a lucky break. we were already there for a wedding, so it really doesn't count as travelling just for a band, and the venue was a block away from our hotel, and we scored 5th row on the floor. it was amazing.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    I followed the Grateful Dead religiously. I have traveled pretty extensively to see Black Crowes, Rush and Iron Maiden. PJ are my main travel gig now.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Basically, if I like a band enough I'll come up with an excuse to go see them play. My latest thing though is to look for multi-show runs in great venues or just the killer venue. If a band I like plays a place like The Beacon Theatre in NYC, I'm there. If they play somewhere that has built in enticements like a great nightlife then I'll go.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 647
    Live in Milwaukee. Chicago doesn't count I assume.
    I have got on a plane for Tool, Radiohead and U2, but nothing like PJ
  • Options
    PJ or bust
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    The only consistent bands I travel for are PJ and Tragically Hip.
    It makes much more sense to live......in the present tense.
  • Options
    halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240
    Well, majority of my favourite bands skip Croatia on their Europe tour, so my only choice is to travel to other countries. :)
    Good thing about Pearl Jam is that they seem to really like Italia, which is pretty close to Croatia - Trieste is little more than 200km from where I live (in fact I watched PJ there in 2014).
    I also went to Foo Fighters in Italia in 2012.
    Biggest trip was Paul McCartney this year in Munich, Germany.
    + we have a great little company called "Art Travel" which organises trips to concerts all around the world!
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Metallica!!
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    rylanrylan Posts: 206
    I live in Thunder Bay, I travel for almost every show I see........this is why I have no money haha
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,353

I used to for Springsteen and U2

Now just PJ

I still do Springsteen....3rd trip to Australia coming up...and used to do U2 (NZ, Irleand, etc)...but bored with U2 now
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,518
    Dave Matthews Band is the only other band I go out of my way to see.
  • Options
    AceCool said:

Basically, if I like a band enough I'll come up with an excuse to go see them play. My latest thing though is to look for multi-show runs in great venues or just the killer venue. If a band I like plays a place like The Beacon Theatre in NYC, I'm there. If they play somewhere that has built in enticements like a great nightlife then I'll go.

+1
  • Options
    AceCool said:

I followed the Grateful Dead religiously.

+1

• Options
    I used to travel for U2 - during the Vertigo tour (05/06) I saw the shows in Manchester UK, Las Vegas and Honolulu, which just so happened to be my first PJ show. Don't travel for anyone these days now that we have a baby/toddler.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    How many times did you dead heads see jerry live?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,569
    i've gotten on planes to see pj, mmj and ween.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    Flying out to Phoenix to see RHCP this year, but other than that just PJ.
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    Have traveled several times to see the Avett Brothers. Also, Ben Harper!!!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    The only bands I've flown to see are PJ, TOTD, the Avetts and Wilco/JT. But I'll drive to see just about anybody.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I've traveled across state lines for Foo Fighters, Rush, and PJ. PJ so far is the only one I've gone international for, though.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    derbydave said:

derbydave said:

I'll travel anywhere in the US, and do multiple shows per tour for Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket and Band of Horses.

How is Band of Horses live? I just recently started getting into them. Kinda wouldn't mind seeing them.
    If you like their music, you should definitely see them live.
    I've seen Band Of Horses 11 times (have 2 more shows coming up next week) and they are right up there with PJ & MMJ for me.
    Their 2 shows at The Ryman in 2013...
    where they recorded the "Acoustic At The Ryman" album,
    are in my all-time top 5.
    Only PJ20, Moline & My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks beat these shows.
    They're at the 930 Club on New Years Eve. Tickets are still available, and include a champagne toast at midnight, but it's a little steep for my wallet at the moment. But that would be a pretty sweet experience!