Options

Does anyone travel to other bands like they do PJ??

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    derbydave said:

I'll travel anywhere in the US, and do multiple shows per tour for Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket and Band of Horses.

How is Band of Horses live? I just recently started getting into them. Kinda wouldn't mind seeing them.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rssesq said:

rssesq said:

de la soul. Goin to Amsterdam in a few weeks to see them. albeit the weed is a draw as well

I saw De La Soul open for 311 way back in like 96 or so. All they did was walk back and forth on stage for 75 minutes asking if the party was over here.. or over here. Then played about half of Me, Myself, & I before they exited. I hope you get a better show than that!!
    having to open for some dope fiends musta brought their energy down.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgqQQL2efU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JhBxM11pE
    They all smoke weed.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

The only other band i really travel for is My Morning Jacket . Of course I would have traveled for the dead , stones etc if I was around . Any other bands really worth traveling/touring with ?

I traveled for the dead

them and pearl jam, that's it
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

who here only travels for pearl jam? as a music fan the concept of love one band only is real strange to me

As a music fan,it's not strange to me.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I dont don't really travel too far for any bands being in Chicago burbs I can pretty much see everyone here but i have hit the neigboring states for pj, dead, dead offshoots, and smashing pumpkins. I did go to Seattle for riot act opening shows but that was to get engaged too.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Nope.
    The only exception would be if the Tea Party came within a reasonable distance.
    Pearl Jam has helped me become a world traveller.
  • Options
    Will not travel for others than PJ. Will take advantage of local opps for others, but no boundaries for pj
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,840
    rssesq said:

de la soul. Goin to Amsterdam in a few weeks to see them. albeit the weed is a draw as well

Didn't you get the VIP Kickstarter De La package? If you ever need a +1 for a southeastern US show holla! Hope you have a great time in Amsterdam :plus_one:
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited November 2016

derbydave said:

I'll travel anywhere in the US, and do multiple shows per tour for Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket and Band of Horses.

How is Band of Horses live? I just recently started getting into them. Kinda wouldn't mind seeing them.
    If you like their music, you should definitely see them live.
    I've seen Band Of Horses 11 times (have 2 more shows coming up next week) and they are right up there with PJ & MMJ for me.
    Their 2 shows at The Ryman in 2013...
    where they recorded the "Acoustic At The Ryman" album,
    are in my all-time top 5.
    Only PJ20, Moline & My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks beat these shows.
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    derbydave said:

derbydave said:

I've seen Band Of Horses 11 times (have 2 more shows coming up next week) and they are right up there with PJ & MMJ for me.
    They were really good in Cleveland and Ben was sick! They all rocked it out and pulled through though.

You should catch a show when you can. I will definitely go to see them again!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429
    I travel to WrestleMania every year, does that count?
  • Options
    On a plane? PJ and Dave Matthews Band. A two hour radius could get me to both Boston and New York fron my home area of New Haven, Ct, so luckily, I can get to a lot of shows.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

Nope.
    The only exception would be if the Tea Party came within a reasonable distance.
    Pearl Jam has helped me become a world traveller.

you going to see them on Transmission tour? did you see their EOT tour? I missed that one, and would have like to have seen Transmission front to back, but I'm in mexico when they hit winnipeg.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Being from western Canada, a "local" show for me still requires 500 to 1500kms of travel.
    but I have and will go farther for the likes of PJ, RHCP, Radiohead, Springsteen.
    Even a few smaller acts will get me out of my postal code though, like Gaslight, Sturgill and Rival Sons.

Basically, my wife will only approve a handful of "Long Distance Bands". The others I have to create bigger excuses for.

Like...
    "Maybe next year honey we visit that sister of yours"
    "But you can't stand her"
    "I know, but Social D is opening up a new House of Blues!"

• Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    derbydave said:

derbydave said:

I agree. Band of Horses is great live. I just saw them last week at the Aragon and they put on a great show.

Their acoustic show at the Vic Theater a few years ago was one of the best concerts that I have ever seem. I really wish there was a boot of that show available.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Jbarker said:

Being from western Canada, a "local" show for me still requires 500 to 1500kms of travel.
    but I have and will go farther for the likes of PJ, RHCP, Radiohead, Springsteen.
    Even a few smaller acts will get me out of my postal code though, like Gaslight, Sturgill and Rival Sons.

Basically, my wife will only approve a handful of "Long Distance Bands". The others I have to create bigger excuses for.

Like...

wow, can I ever related to this. we have friends out west. must fly. won't drive. I'm not the biggest fan of these people (female is her best friend). last time PJ announced a show there, I suggested to my wife that we fly out and visit our "friends". she looked at me, bewildered, "but I thought you didn't really like them?". "yeah, but PJ is playing! I can stomach them for PJ!".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    On a plane or three + hours driving: Pearl Jam or u2.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    We will be traveling to Manchester England next summer to see Radiohead. We live in Massachusetts. This concert is much anticipated. Hard to get tickets!

Have been to several countries in Europe to see Peal Jam. European fan pre show parties are the BEST!
    Hold On
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

Jbarker said:

Like...

wow, can I ever related to this. we have friends out west. must fly. won't drive. I'm not the biggest fan of these people (female is her best friend). last time PJ announced a show there, I suggested to my wife that we fly out and visit our "friends". she looked at me, bewildered, "but I thought you didn't really like them?". "yeah, but PJ is playing! I can stomach them for PJ!".
    HAHA. Yes!!

Made it out to Fenway shows to meet up with friends from Newfoundland.
    PJ brings people together - the good and the bad.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,150
    edited November 2016
    For New Years Eve 1999 we drove from Victoria BC to Los Angeles to see the Chili Peppers show at the Great Western Forum (we were trying to think of something epic to do for New Years and a friend of mine came up with the idea to counter my idea to see KISS in Vancouver.... he was right and it ended up being alot of fun).

Most of the PJ shows I've seen have been in the Vancouver/Seattle areas. In 1998 I hit up Missoula as I was driving across Canada so we ducked South of Calgary to see it. In 2000 during university I talked a few friends into catching the last shows of the tour. It was going to be Portland and Seattle, then they cancelled portland so we transferred our Portland tickets to Boise. Then they uncancelled Portland so we bought TM tix. Portland's not horribly far from Victoria, BC, but Boise was quite the drive (Well worth it and the 2nd best PJ show I've seen). This past year I went to Wrigley to see the PJ show's but that was an amazing set of circumstances. One of my best friends moved to Chicago so I was going to visit anyways, then they announced a show on my Birthday.... I don't think I'd ever travel that far for a show, but the amazing circumstances pulled that together.

Aside from RHCP in LA I've seen:

1) Edgefest '98 in Toronto
    2) Metallica '98 in Toronto
    3) Stone Temple Pilots in Portland, OR in 2000 at the Tatoo The Earth Festival

I guess that's it. I've travelled for a few shows for PJ over the years, and a few for other bands, but generally 95% of the shows I go to are in Washington/British Columbia.

edit: It's also worth noting that my definition of travelling is anything 5 hours or less after the 90 minute ferry I have to take to get off this Island. If I run into people from the East coast where everything is closer together, there definitions of traveling tend to be a bit smaller :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    While I have traveled for other concerts, I don't put nearly the amount of time or effort into traveling to see anyone else as I do for Pearl Jam.
    (It helps that I live in a city that most bands swing through)

There also aren't any other bands who I would want to see more than once or twice on any given tour. W/ PJ, I'll cram in as many shows as possible.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    MMJ... haven't traveled nearly as much for them but they and Jim James play in the Pacific Northwest pretty frequently so I haven't "had" to as much lol.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469

who here only travels for pearl jam? as a music fan the concept of love one band only is real strange to me

I only travel to see PJ and no one else. When I was younger I would see who was ever playing somewhat local. But all I travel too see now is PJ.
    I would see other bands, but I not going to purchase plane tickets or travel 8+ hrs to see anyone else. Nothing new out there that drives that desire in me. Plus I would rather do a trip to the carribean or somewhere warm :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    I remember being at the get together in Tulsa at McNellie's that there was one fan from Massachusetts who saw Iron Maiden in seven different locations during the 2016 Book of Souls tour in the US. That is amazing.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    without naming any bands there are quite a few bands that i have discovered in the last 7 years that i would travel 6+ hours to see, as well as many other fave older bands/musicians...but i also see over 50+ ticketed shows a year so i'm seriously addicted to live music. i'm not gonna say which band wins but i feel that most serious live music lovers just face facts and travel to get what they need. i just can't justify travelling to only see 1 band. i love destination music events ie roo, aspen, nyc, telluride, red rocks, and california in 2017 when pj announce! sitting on a beach bores the heck out of me ;)
    nobody's wrong and everyone has different circumstances is a for sure
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,150
    edited November 2016
    What distinction does everyone else make in terms of a show being in your area vs. being far enough away to be considered travel?

For me it's anything in 5 hours driving distance from the ferry. Vancouver, Seattle, and the Gorge pretty much. I know the East Coast is more popular for travel between shows because there's more cities and they're all closer together.

Driving/Ferry/Driving takes me about 3 to 3.5 hours to get to Vancouver, 5ish to Seattle and almost 8 to the Gorge. If that counts as travelling then I pretty much travel to everything PJ or non PJ :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Always Radiohead. Everyone should travel to see Radiohead, it is way more than worth it.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited November 2016
    I can't afford it (not for PJ usually either), but if I could, there are a few other bands/artists I'd probably be into travelling for. Jack White, QOTSA, Neil Young... (and others if it's only a trip down to Seattle or something).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Traveled extensively to see Widespread Panic and Phish ... about 85ish shows between the two of them.
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    I drove from Boston to Montreal in 2010 to see Them Crooked Vultures, the best non PJ related show I've ever been too, epic performance!
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!