deleted

vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
edited September 2019 in A Moving Train
deleted
Post edited by vaggar99 on

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    I don't necessarily disagree with you other than I don't think those things have been normalized. Most people I know don't think that way. If anything having Trump as president will keep these issues front and center and hopefully part of an ongoing dialogue. He just might inadvertently be a blessing in disguise.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ^^^ not sure where who you hang out with but they must be some nice people. Cuz, I can tell you it is real. There are some very nasty people amongst.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    vaggar99 said:

^^^ not sure where who you hang out with but they must be some nice people. Cuz, I can tell you it is real. There are some very nasty people amongst.

I don't don't your experience. Hopefully it motivates everyone to help make a real change.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,449
    vaggar99 said:

Are you experiencing issues in San Diego? I'll be there in 20 days ....in my continuing search for a civilized society
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    ^^i actually don't live in San Diego anymore. I live in Houston, TX. But I can tell you SD is just as racist if not more. The east county suburbs are known for strong racial biases. Houston is a generally diverse city, but no shortage of racism here either.

Its easy not hear/see these things because sometimes you really open your eyes and ears to them. Once you do, you'll realize ITS EVERYWHERE
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    vaggar99 said:

^^i actually don't live in San Diego anymore. I live in Houston, TX. But I can tell you SD is just as racist if not more. The east county suburbs are known for strong racial biases. Houston is a generally diverse city, but no shortage of racism here either.

Its easy not hear/see these things because sometimes you really open your eyes and ears to them. Once you do, you'll realize ITS EVERYWHERE

racism is everywhere before, during & after one Donald Trump. we can be the change we are looking for out there....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ^^^yes we can. unfortunately, that will only get so far. We need to also stand up to these bullies. We are the voice of common sense and decency. We will prevail.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,449
    vaggar99 said:

I'm in the burbs of Houston. Sucks about San Diego
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Neither of the two major candidates represented equality or decency. Taking the L either way.
  • Options
    ^^^ perhaps, but only one represented blatant racism and misogyny.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    vaggar99 said:

I know there is another category for political talk, but the Porch by far is the most active one and I feel this issue is important enough to make an exception.

I am deeply troubled by what's happening in the US. Racism, misogyny, homophobia and xenophobia are now normalized. We have let a fringe group of white supremacists steal our democracy.

I am asking the band for you help. Please say something.

What do you need the band for? This is silly
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    It's time to move on folks.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

vaggar99 said:

I know there is another category for political talk, but the Porch by far is the most active one and I feel this issue is important enough to make an exception.

I am deeply troubled by what's happening in the US. Racism, misogyny, homophobia and xenophobia are now normalized. We have let a fringe group of white supremacists steal our democracy.

I am asking the band for you help. Please say something.

What do you need the band for? This is silly
    Second time in the past few minutes thinking/saying "no shit". These people have their own lives and priorities.

They're not our fucking messiahs nor should their sleeves be tugged upon as if they are.

As for "normalcy" as perceived in the OP, sure there's some of that. Has been. Always will be. Human nature.

If that's being seen only now, you got some catching up to do. Not seeing the need for hand-wringing at this point though.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    I don't get it. What's a rock band supposed to do about it?
  • Options
    wow...cynical people here to. Its very easy. say something thats all i ask.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Shut it down
  • Options
    wow...now i remember why PJ shows are so lame now. its not the music
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

Did @DonaldJTrump tweet this? It sounds like him.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,738
    vaggar99 said:

What the hell are you talking about????
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    vaggar99 said:

If only the crowds could be made up of 18,000 fans as fun as you.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    vaggar99 said:

So be the change you want to see. Keep putting your thoughts out there, but don't be an ass to others in the process, should they see things from another perspective.

By the way, realism isn't akin to cynicism...or "lameness".
  • Options

vaggar99 said:

What the hell are you talking about????
    hedonist said:

vaggar99 said:

So be the change you want to see. Keep putting your thoughts out there, but don't be an ass to others in the process, should they see things from another perspective.

By the way, realism isn't akin to cynicism...or "lameness".
    sorry, just expressing my frustration. wasn't expecting so many people to be upset by this. i will keep fighting.

vaggar99 said:

If only the crowds could be made up of 18,000 fans as fun as you.
    if only
  • Options
    maybe i'll just write the band a letter by snail mail.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

Man, I'm sure the band will address this at some point. However, they don't HAVE to. That's up to them.

Here's something to remember and this is from memory over time, so give me some wiggle room. A couple of days after 9/11, someone saw Bruce Springsteen and yelled at him, "Bruce! We need you now more than ever!". That stuck with Bruce and he put together an amazing post 9/11 record called The Rising with the help of the E Street Band. The last the ESB was on a Bruce record was Born in the USA in the early 80's. (Tunnel of Love doesn't count to me). So this record was a big deal when it came out. It addressed the hope and sadness, and light and dark of the world after 9/11.

So maybe all it takes is a simple "We need you now" and not all the apocalyptic doom and gloom.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640

I dont need PJ to issue any kind of statement. We got thru the last 24 yrs of Bill, W, and Obama. We'll survive this one too.
  • Options

I dont need PJ to issue any kind of statement. We got thru the last 24 yrs of Bill, W, and Obama. We'll survive this one too.

you're missing my point. this has very little do with standard policy. it has to do with who we are as people. Do we tolerate this or not? Judging by the reaction on this thread, seems like the PJ community tolerates it.

I want to know if the mightiest band on the plant, Pearl Jam, tolerates tolerates it.
  • Options
    Mightiest band on the planet?? lol. Come on, man. You're overdoing it. We aren't a high school football team that needs a pep talk at halftime.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

vaggar99 said:

Man, I'm sure the band will address this at some point. However, they don't HAVE to. That's up to them.

Here's something to remember and this is from memory over time, so give me some wiggle room. A couple of days after 9/11, someone saw Bruce Springsteen and yelled at him, "Bruce! We need you now more than ever!". That stuck with Bruce and he put together an amazing post 9/11 record called The Rising with the help of the E Street Band. The last the ESB was on a Bruce record was Born in the USA in the early 80's. (Tunnel of Love doesn't count to me). So this record was a big deal when it came out. It addressed the hope and sadness, and light and dark of the world after 9/11.

So maybe all it takes is a simple "We need you now" and not all the apocalyptic doom and gloom.
    of course. no one has to do anything. why is it such a sin to ask PJ to take a stand for us?

the Bruce thing is cool and I can't expect a musician to offer anything more than music. But, somehow I thought PJ was different. Or were we fooled by Trumpism again. As in all the anti-hate/misogyny talk EV used througout the 90's and 2000's was total bullshit? Don't tell me he's just another charlatan like ESP?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Mightiest band on the planet?? lol. Come on, man. You're overdoing it. We aren't a high school football team that needs a pep talk at halftime.

i did feel that way at one point not long ago. that has faded now. i was hoping to revive the feeling today. obviously not happening. the resistance will move on without the PJ fanbase