Did our Celebrities fail us, or did we fail them?

13»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Do people actually use a moderately intelligent, frequently intoxicated, rock band front man as their moral or political compass? Yikes.

"moderately intelligent"?

I'd wager they don't. I'd say it's more that they agree with him, not that they follow his lead.
    I don't think he's genius. I think he's moderately intelligent like the rest of us. And I hope you're right about that, but people often seem to wait for Ed to make a move before jumping in. And after the band's fiasco in North Carolina, I think "moderately" could be a little generous. Ed followed Bruce's lead and made a poorly thought out and executed decision, in my estimation.
    How do you know that they cancelled because Bruce did? It wasn't poorly executed at all. The state of North Carolina lost millions of dollars. I'd say it was executed perfectly. The point was made and it hit them where it hurt the mkst.
    It seemed pretty obvious they were following Bruce's lead. If it was the band's idea, then they did an even poorer job of execution than I currently think they did. A last minute cancellation that negatively impacts your own fans more than anyone else, is absolutely poor execution. Especially when hotels were already paid for, flights had been made, many of those fans from out of state were already there, and now instead of seeing a show, they hung out in bars and restaurants spending even more money in the state. Yes, it was poorly executed and had very little impact on the state.
    You're naive if you think the state doesnt feel the impact of millions of dollars not coming into the state.
    PJ's last minute cancellation didn't result in millions of dollars not coming into the state. Most of the travelling fans were either already there or en route. And they still spent at least as much money there as they would have if PJ had played. Sorry, this move was all show and no impact. Had they cancelled well in advance I would feel completely different about it. It was the timing that resulted in it being a fail.
    Pearl jam wasn't the only cancellation.
    Correct. And nowhere have I said that cancellations or boycotts are/were ineffective. Only that PJ's last-minute move was counterproductive.
    Just Pearl Jam's cancellation resulted in about $2.1 million dollars being kept out of the NC economy (I looked it up way back when this happened).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Do people actually use a moderately intelligent, frequently intoxicated, rock band front man as their moral or political compass? Yikes.

I'd wager they don't. I'd say it's more that they agree with him, not that they follow his lead.
    I don't think he's genius. I think he's moderately intelligent like the rest of us. And I hope you're right about that, but people often seem to wait for Ed to make a move before jumping in. And after the band's fiasco in North Carolina, I think "moderately" could be a little generous. Ed followed Bruce's lead and made a poorly thought out and executed decision, in my estimation.
    How do you know that they cancelled because Bruce did? It wasn't poorly executed at all. The state of North Carolina lost millions of dollars. I'd say it was executed perfectly. The point was made and it hit them where it hurt the mkst.
    It seemed pretty obvious they were following Bruce's lead. If it was the band's idea, then they did an even poorer job of execution than I currently think they did. A last minute cancellation that negatively impacts your own fans more than anyone else, is absolutely poor execution. Especially when hotels were already paid for, flights had been made, many of those fans from out of state were already there, and now instead of seeing a show, they hung out in bars and restaurants spending even more money in the state. Yes, it was poorly executed and had very little impact on the state.
    You're naive if you think the state doesnt feel the impact of millions of dollars not coming into the state.
    PJ's last minute cancellation didn't result in millions of dollars not coming into the state. Most of the travelling fans were either already there or en route. And they still spent at least as much money there as they would have if PJ had played. Sorry, this move was all show and no impact. Had they cancelled well in advance I would feel completely different about it. It was the timing that resulted in it being a fail.
    Correct. And nowhere have I said that cancellations or boycotts are/were ineffective. Only that PJ's last-minute move was counterproductive.
    Just Pearl Jam's cancellation resulted in about $2.1 million dollars being kept out of the NC economy (I looked it up way back when this happened).
    Really? How was that figured? Do you remember where you saw that? I'd be interested in seeing how those numbers break down. If that's the case, I stand corrected.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Really? How was that figured? Do you remember where you saw that? I'd be interested in seeing how those numbers break down. If that's the case, I stand corrected.
    I'm sorry, I don't remember the source, but if I'm remembering correctly, it's calculated by averaging what people who attend a concert spend on their night out - so everything: dinner and drinks before and after the show, parking, all that shit, and multiplying it by how many tickets are sold for the show, plus the sales revenue made by the venue itself for a large scale concert, plus the lost wages at the venue and all related businesses/services, etc etc etc. When you think about all those factors, $2.1 million doesn't really seem too surprising.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I'm sorry, I don't remember the source, but if I'm remembering correctly, it's calculated by averaging what people who attend a concert spend on their night out - so everything: dinner and drinks before and after the show, parking, all that shit, and multiplying it by how many tickets are sold for the show, plus the sales revenue made by the venue itself for a large scale concert, plus the lost wages at the venue and all related businesses/services, etc etc etc. When you think about all those factors, $2.1 million doesn't really seem too surprising.
    I guess it also depends how many people of the total crowd were from out of town. they would have gone out and spent anyway, but I'm sure that number is a small percentage, even at a PJ show.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I guess it also depends how many people of the total crowd were from out of town. they would have gone out and spent anyway, but I'm sure that number is a small percentage, even at a PJ show.
    Oh right, hotels too. Yeah, well you know a pretty solid portion of the crowd would have been staying in a hotel for at least one night... how many, we'll never know, although I'm sure there were plenty of cancellations. I don't know, for a show in that city, how many PJ fans would have stayed the night? Maybe 10%?? More? A lot of people do drive in for them from far enough away to not drive home after, since it ends so late. Maybe it's way more than 10%, hard to say.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Jason P said:

vaggar99 said:

I feel like this band failed us. They could have been out there much like in 2004 doing and saying everything possible to make sure an Entitled Sexual Predator does not take office

Didn't do any good in 2004.
    yeah, but the attempt was valiant.
    PJPOWER said:

vaggar99 said:

I feel like this band failed us. They could have been out there much like in 2004 doing and saying everything possible to make sure an Entitled Sexual Predator does not take office

Maybe they were busy, you know, making music?
    look, they have the right to do whatever they want. i sure hope they were making music. cuz i'm not sure what they stand for anymore. this election should have burned EV in the gut and he been silent through it all. maybe he's said a few things in concert, but i've seen nothing more than a pic of him Hillary at a fundraiser. maybe they fell into the same trap as the rest of us, we just thought the Entitled Sexual Predator was so bad, there was no way he could win. That's forgivable. But the post election silence is not. I feel the band needs to come out on this. This man is not good at all.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    vaggar99 said:
    He's looking pretty raw these days... but he's right.
    Free said:

vaggar99 said:
    Yup. Sessions is a horrible choice. The good news from this article is that we'll have an entertaining 2020 election cycle. Kanye will continue Trump's "outsider with no experience (or even a fucking clue)" strategy, and if Trump's successful run was any indication, we should have our 2nd black president soon. Will he run as a Rep or Dem? After President West's 8 years in office, I'm guessing we'll finally elect our first woman president - Chelsea Clinton. I'm looking forward to another fun decade on AMT.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited November 2016
    jeffbr said:

Free said:

vaggar99 said:
    Yup. Sessions is a horrible choice. The good news from this article is that we'll have an entertaining 2020 election cycle. Kanye will continue Trump's "outsider with no experience (or even a fucking clue)" strategy, and if Trump's successful run was any indication, we should have our 2nd black president soon. Will he run as a Rep or Dem? After President West's 8 years in office, I'm guessing we'll finally elect our first woman president - Chelsea Clinton. I'm looking forward to another fun decade on AMT.
    Speaking of Chelsea... (make sure you watch this)

https://youtu.be/oS6SB3VUycI
    Post edited by Free on
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:

Free said:

vaggar99 said:
    Ugh
    Free said:

jeffbr said:

Free said:

vaggar99 said:
    Speaking of Chelsea... (make sure you watch this)

https://youtu.be/oS6SB3VUycI
    "The next extension of the Clinton brand." Not surprised, I remember after her convention speech and a couple of campaign speeches telling my wife that I thought Chelsea was being groomed for campaigning for public office. I figured it wouldn't be for a few years while she's focusing on her family. Guess I was wrong about that!
    Kanye is another entitled self promoting piece of garbage that will use anyone and anything to stroke his raw herpe infested penis
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited November 2016
    jeffbr said:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/7581701/kanye-west-hospitalized

There was no criminal activity and the decision to hospitalize West was considered for his own health and safety.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_(involuntary_psychiatric_hold)

Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code (WIC) (in particular, the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which authorizes a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person suspected to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themself, a danger to others, and/or gravely disabled.

Though no criminal activity was involved, authorities decided to hospitalize West for his own health and safety.

The cause is unknown, though an unnamed source told People, “He is exhausted and currently dealing with sleep deprivation. He went to the hospital at will under the advice of his physician. He’s fine.”

Though TMZ reported that West was restrained when he brought to the hospital, People’s source claimed that wasn’t the case. “He went freely,” the source said.”

Still, police told the Associated Press that West has been placed on a psychiatric hold.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/21/kanye-west-reportedly-hospitalized-in-los-angeles/
    Post edited by JC29856 on
    jeffbr said:

The last week has been an especially controversial one for West who confessed that he didn't vote in this year's election, but that he would've voted for Donald Trump. He also told the audience that his manager, Scooter Braun, had advised him not to come out as a Trump supporter before election night. The rapper received a heavy amount of backlash following his Trump statements with some fans even threatening to boycott West.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.www.complex.com/music/2016/11/heres-why-kanye-west-canceled-remaining-saint-pablo-tour-dates
    Interesting point about bullying

https://youtu.be/M2KbOdZOJOA
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    vaggar99 said:

Kanye is another entitled self promoting piece of garbage that will use anyone and anything to stroke his raw herpe infested penis

:lol:

gotta take that hospital visit so the tour insurance will pay for all those cancelled dates.
    what a fucking piece of shit. maybe he can get some treatment for that herpes while he is in.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited November 2016
    lolobugg said:

vaggar99 said:

gotta take that hospital visit so the tour insurance will pay for all those cancelled dates.
    what a fucking piece of shit. maybe he can get some treatment for that herpes while he is in.
    I read that he refunded all tickets the other night and once refunded a show where he had to stop 10 minutes early due to losing his voice.
    i believe it was livenation that cancelled the remaining shows not kanye.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    JC29856 said:

lolobugg said:

vaggar99 said:

I read that he refunded all tickets the other night and once refunded a show where he had to stop 10 minutes early due to losing his voice.
    i believe it was livenation that cancelled the remaining shows not kanye.
    Wrong, it was his highness- Kanye.
    must be exhausting being a fucking professional gasbag.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2