Options

Did our Celebrities fail us, or did we fail them?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    that second video is garbage.

1) THEY ARE ACTORS SENDING A POLITICAL MESSAGE DISPARAGING MORE FAMOUS ACTORS FOR SENDING A POLITICAL MESSAGE
    2) people, famous and not famous, sometimes use all the tools at their disposal to inform and yes, influence, other humans where possible if it's something they are passionate about. Ed does this constantly. it's not different than people at a workplace having a discussion and trying to get their own point across with their political views.

i guess bobby deniro won't be punching trump in the face after all. :punch:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    I feel like this band failed us. They could have been out there much like in 2004 doing and saying everything possible to make sure an Entitled Sexual Predator does not take office
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    vaggar99 said:

I feel like this band failed us. They could have been out there much like in 2004 doing and saying everything possible to make sure an Entitled Sexual Predator does not take office

Didn't do any good in 2004.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    vaggar99 said:

Maybe they were busy, you know, making music?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    vaggar99 said:

Maybe a wee bit credibility lost since 12.6.02?
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    vaggar99 said:

so how was Pearl Jam going to stop Trump? and trust me after Nader I wouldn't listen to this bands politics not that i allow myself to be influenced by rockstars or anyone else really
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Do people actually use a moderately intelligent, frequently intoxicated, rock band front man as their moral or political compass? Yikes.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Do people actually use a moderately intelligent, frequently intoxicated, rock band front man as their moral or political compass? Yikes.

"moderately intelligent"?

I'd wager they don't. I'd say it's more that they agree with him, not that they follow his lead.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

vaggar99 said:

hopefully, but doubtful.

I bet Ed wrote an entire punk record Nov 9th.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:

vaggar99 said:

hopefully, but doubtful.

I bet Ed wrote an entire punk record Nov 9th.
    Lol, probably!
  • Options

jeffbr said:

I'd wager they don't. I'd say it's more that they agree with him, not that they follow his lead.
    I don't think he's genius. I think he's moderately intelligent like the rest of us. And I hope you're right about that, but people often seem to wait for Ed to make a move before jumping in. And after the band's fiasco in North Carolina, I think "moderately" could be a little generous. Ed followed Bruce's lead and made a poorly thought out and executed decision, in my estimation.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I don't think he's genius. I think he's moderately intelligent like the rest of us. And I hope you're right about that, but people often seem to wait for Ed to make a move before jumping in. And after the band's fiasco in North Carolina, I think "moderately" could be a little generous. Ed followed Bruce's lead and made a poorly thought out and executed decision, in my estimation.
    How do you know that they cancelled because Bruce did? It wasn't poorly executed at all. The state of North Carolina lost millions of dollars. I'd say it was executed perfectly. The point was made and it hit them where it hurt the mkst.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

fair enough. when you said moderately, I thought that was a put down.

I doubt Raleigh was all Ed's doing. He's not the president of all pearl jam operations.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I doubt Raleigh was all Ed's doing. He's not the president of all pearl jam operations.
    He might not have spawned the idea, but my money would be on him steering the course of the band.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

He might not have spawned the idea, but my money would be on him steering the course of the band.
    I think Jeff has a pretty active presence as well. But what I also meant was, Ed, or any member of the band, was unlikely involved in the "execution" of the decision to pull out. With a band of this magnitude, there was likely lawyers and a whole host of people involved.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

How do you know that they cancelled because Bruce did? It wasn't poorly executed at all. The state of North Carolina lost millions of dollars. I'd say it was executed perfectly. The point was made and it hit them where it hurt the mkst.
    It seemed pretty obvious they were following Bruce's lead. If it was the band's idea, then they did an even poorer job of execution than I currently think they did. A last minute cancellation that negatively impacts your own fans more than anyone else, is absolutely poor execution. Especially when hotels were already paid for, flights had been made, many of those fans from out of state were already there, and now instead of seeing a show, they hung out in bars and restaurants spending even more money in the state. Yes, it was poorly executed and had very little impact on the state.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I think Jeff has a pretty active presence as well. But what I also meant was, Ed, or any member of the band, was unlikely involved in the "execution" of the decision to pull out. With a band of this magnitude, there was likely lawyers and a whole host of people involved.
    I'm sure lawyers were involved, fines were paid, etc... But in order to get those wheels moving, someone had to make the call. Whether it was Ed or Jeff, I guess I have no idea. But Ed seems particularly enamored with Bruce, and appeared to be doing nothing more than following his lead. Either way, not the brightest decision I've seen the band make, in terms of efficacy or impact on their fans.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

It seemed pretty obvious they were following Bruce's lead. If it was the band's idea, then they did an even poorer job of execution than I currently think they did. A last minute cancellation that negatively impacts your own fans more than anyone else, is absolutely poor execution. Especially when hotels were already paid for, flights had been made, many of those fans from out of state were already there, and now instead of seeing a show, they hung out in bars and restaurants spending even more money in the state. Yes, it was poorly executed and had very little impact on the state.
    this has been discussed before, but I'm guessing they waited so long as they were hoping they wouldn't have to cancel. I believe they absolutely had their fans' interests at heart, but decided this issue was bigger than themselves or their fans.

I don't get why it's such a big deal that they were following someone's lead. it's not like they are sheep. obviously, from all the things they have spearheaded in the past. just because bruce did it first doesn't give their actions any less credence, in my opinion.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Sorry, yeah I only said it that way because I think he's just like us, not someone who has any special insight, scholarly knowledge, or divine guidance. He's just a dude with opinions. And I'm sure if he posted here anonymously, he'd have just as hard a time convincing others of his positions as we all do.
  • Options

1) THEY ARE ACTORS SENDING A POLITICAL MESSAGE DISPARAGING MORE FAMOUS ACTORS FOR SENDING A POLITICAL MESSAGE
    2) people, famous and not famous, sometimes use all the tools at their disposal to inform and yes, influence, other humans where possible if it's something they are passionate about. Ed does this constantly. it's not different than people at a workplace having a discussion and trying to get their own point across with their political views.

I understand they are actors in the second video. The point is, why should I care what a bunch of Rich Hollywood elitist want are telling me? They do not know what you or I or anyone deals with in our day to day lives. Their message would have come off better if they were just asking people to vote and saying how voting is important. However, they decided to use their fame to sway the vote. I was turned off by how they think they are somehow smarter than the rest of us and needed to tells us how to vote. To each their own if people want to listen to Hollywood types for political advise so be it.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Eds decision? Does his bandmates follow his lead also?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Sorry, yeah I only said it that way because I think he's just like us, not someone who has any special insight, scholarly knowledge, or divine guidance. He's just a dude with opinions. And I'm sure if he posted here anonymously, he'd have just as hard a time convincing others of his positions as we all do.
    I was trying to find a way to say something in the same vein, then saw this - thank you.

To the original post...my main focus at this point in life is not failing myself. Why on earth would I give a shit about falling short of a stranger's expectations? Screw that.

And the only difference between myself and famous people is that I'm not famous. They shit and they stink. So do I. So do you.

Being in the public eye doesn't elevate anyone, nor should it.
  • Options

I understand they are actors in the second video. The point is, why should I care what a bunch of Rich Hollywood elitist want are telling me? They do not know what you or I or anyone deals with in our day to day lives. Their message would have come off better if they were just asking people to vote and saying how voting is important. However, they decided to use their fame to sway the vote. I was turned off by how they think they are somehow smarter than the rest of us and needed to tells us how to vote. To each their own if people want to listen to Hollywood types for political advise so be it.
    it just puts a face to the message. you are more likely to pay attention to the dialogue if it is someone familiar to you. that's just marketing. and if you have, or if you think you have, the "power" to influence something you deem to be important, why not use that influence?

I personally loved the video from a few years back where hayden pennetiere told some republican to fuck off. can't recall if it was mccain or bush. I thought that was hilarious.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    hedonist said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I was trying to find a way to say something in the same vein, then saw this - thank you.

To the original post...my main focus at this point in life is not failing myself. Why on earth would I give a shit about falling short of a stranger's expectations? Screw that.

And the only difference between myself and famous people is that I'm not famous. They shit and they stink. So do I. So do you.

KABOOM.

I'll will add this, money can allow for worldly experiences that those without could never imagine.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

You're naive if you think the state doesnt feel the impact of millions of dollars not coming into the state.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

You're naive if you think the state doesnt feel the impact of millions of dollars not coming into the state.
    PJ's last minute cancellation didn't result in millions of dollars not coming into the state. Most of the travelling fans were either already there or en route. And they still spent at least as much money there as they would have if PJ had played. Sorry, this move was all show and no impact. Had they cancelled well in advance I would feel completely different about it. It was the timing that resulted in it being a fail.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    hedonist said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Doesn't your shit smell like roses???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

PJ's last minute cancellation didn't result in millions of dollars not coming into the state. Most of the travelling fans were either already there or en route. And they still spent at least as much money there as they would have if PJ had played. Sorry, this move was all show and no impact. Had they cancelled well in advance I would feel completely different about it. It was the timing that resulted in it being a fail.
    Pearl jam wasn't the only cancellation.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Pearl jam wasn't the only cancellation.
    Correct. And nowhere have I said that cancellations or boycotts are/were ineffective. Only that PJ's last-minute move was counterproductive.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PP193448 said:

hedonist said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Doesn't your shit smell like roses???
    Doesn't everyone's?