Options

Education

1235»

Comments

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    riley540 said:

Something that I think is a big issue is never discussed during elections.

College has become the biggest scam in the country and nobody seems to care. I went for 3 semesters and it was just political propaganda. And I was paying for an education.

Also, general education requirements need to go away. They are only a cash grab for the universities. It's basicallly high school all over again, but you pay thousands of dollars for it.

Make math optional. The number one reason for drop outs is algebra. No other country makes an English student take math.

At the end of the day, do things besides college, it is an outdated scam that's best interests are robbing people blind.

I cracked up when they exposed the "trump university scam" I laughed and said "haha! It's just like normal college!"

I'm pissed at the system

colleges/universities as a whole are a 'scam' in some respects. they continue to keep raising fees for the meal tickets they provide. the advent of the internet and the streaming age has exposed many of the flaws in the traditional brick/mortar university system.

that said, any education, particularly math/science is not a scam. i know many people who were liberal arts majors in college that ended up in semi-technical fields. trust me, that algebra will come in handy one day.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Comforting for all parents and non-parents:

Betsy DeVos, Trump’s Pick for Education Secretary, Won’t Rule Out Defunding Public Schools

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/betsy-devos-trump-s-pick-education-secretary-won-t-rule-n708171?cid=sm_tw_nbcnews
  • Options
    Free said:

Comforting for all parents and non-parents:

Betsy DeVos, Trump’s Pick for Education Secretary, Won’t Rule Out Defunding Public Schools

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/betsy-devos-trump-s-pick-education-secretary-won-t-rule-n708171?cid=sm_tw_nbcnews

sounds like she will target inner city schools and probably leave the wealthy suburban schools alone. just a hunch though.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Yes, imagine that parents knowing what is best for their children.

Some parents don't want their kids vaccinated. They sure know what's best for their kids, eh?

People aren't experts just because they are parents and have maybe listened to a few opinions. The experts might know a little more than the average joe.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

unsung said:

Some parents don't want their kids vaccinated. They sure know what's best for their kids, eh?

People aren't experts just because they are parents and have maybe listened to a few opinions. The experts might know a little more than the average joe.
    Tens of millions of parents believe that fossils are a trick by the devil to make the faithless doubt the bible...
    Do they know what's best for their kids?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The subject of education, I know little about, I should know more. What I certainly don't understand is how come/why non public schools, colleges and universities are so unaffordable? Does it really need cost $4k a year for private grade schooling, $10k for private high schools and $40k for college and universities?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited January 2017

unsung said:

Not to go off topic but vaccinations and climate change topics are similar in that most just label any opposition as whacky, anti-vaxers, climate change deniers, without digging deeper into the discussion.

Example: climate change deniers-some people that are labeled climate change deniers don't actual deny climate change, they acknowledge it but don't think humans are a significant factor or a factor at all.
    Anti-vaxers-some people are labeled anti-vaxers when they are only against vaccines that aren't warranted as safe and effective.

I know there are some that say climate change doesn't exist or all vaccines are bad harmful.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    I didn't watch the hearing, but it seems DeVos didn't really have any difficulty getting through it. Democrats tried to trip her up or just point out some lacking knowledge, but that could be done with any nominee.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

I didn't watch the hearing, but it seems DeVos didn't really have any difficulty getting through it. Democrats tried to trip her up or just point out some lacking knowledge, but that could be done with any nominee.

It can be quite easy to not actually answer any questions.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

The subject of education, I know little about, I should know more. What I certainly don't understand is how come/why non public schools, colleges and universities are so unaffordable? Does it really need cost $4k a year for private grade schooling, $10k for private high schools and $40k for college and universities?

Profit's a bitch.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited January 2017
    JC29856 said:

Well the question should really be why, in a so-called advanced society, are rich people allowed to buy a much better education for their children while the rest of America is stuck with a sub-par education system due to lack of funding and low teachers' salaries? Talk about ensuring that the rich get richer and the poor majority get poorer.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    DeVos has some troublesome viewpoints and obvious conflicts of interest. But I do find appealing her unfaltering position on local control of schools.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

DeVos has some troublesome viewpoints and obvious conflicts of interest. But I do find appealing her unfaltering position on local control of schools.

and don't get me started on her brother
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    i don't understand the disdain for "free" public education many have. It's been a foundation of growth in the US for decades. You know where education is not free for all? Underdeveloped and impoverished nations.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    vaggar99 said:

i don't understand the disdain for "free" public education many have. It's been a foundation of growth in the US for decades. You know where education is not free for all? Underdeveloped and impoverished nations.

actually education is free in under developed and impoverished nations(if it exists at all) simply because the population has no money to pay for such a 'luxury'. and then of course we must ask ourselves why such nations consider education a 'luxury'. or is it that we in the privileged western world are the ones that consider education a luxury? but yes i agree with your not understanding the disdain for public education. isnt it a right for the populace to be educated? dont people want ALL children to be educated equally? in a so called democratic nation dont ALL children deserve equal opportunity to education? if you dont think education should be available equally to ALL children , why dont you? what makes you think that education should be considered a commodity, available only to those with the fiscal means to access it and to be run at a profit? do we not want a populace that is educated and engaged or do we simply want a populace that provides fodder for whatever society requires of it without any agency of itself to decide its future, and that of its nation?

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

Tens of millions of parents believe that fossils are a trick by the devil to make the faithless doubt the bible...
    While I'm sure there's some wackos who believe that, I have never heard that taught, discussed or preached in any religious group. That number is much, much less than tens of millions who actually believe that. Maybe more like just tens.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

While I'm sure there's some wackos who believe that, I have never heard that taught, discussed or preached in any religious group. That number is much, much less than tens of millions who actually believe that. Maybe more like just tens.
    1 in 10 Americans are Young Earth types. 1 in 10 Americans are dolts. That is more than 30 million, so tens of millions is accurate.

Just How Many Young-Earth Creationists Are There in the U.S.?
    "In short, then, the hard core of young-earth creationists represents at most one in ten Americans—maybe about 31 million people—with another quarter favoring creationism but not necessarily committed to a young earth. One or two in ten seem firmly committed to evolution, and another third leans heavily toward evolution. About a third of the public in the middle are open to evolution, but feel strongly that a god or gods must have been involved somehow, and wind up in different camps depending how a given poll is worded."
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

1 in 10 Americans are Young Earth types. 1 in 10 Americans are dolts. That is more than 30 million, so tens of millions is accurate.

"In short, then, the hard core of young-earth creationists represents at most one in ten Americans—maybe about 31 million people—with another quarter favoring creationism but not necessarily committed to a young earth. One or two in ten seem firmly committed to evolution, and another third leans heavily toward evolution. About a third of the public in the middle are open to evolution, but feel strongly that a god or gods must have been involved somehow, and wind up in different camps depending how a given poll is worded."
    Ouch.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

"Young earth creationist" and believing that the devil planted fossils to trick humans are not even close to the same thing.
    ouch.

If what was said was that tens of millions don't believe the earth is hundrends of millions years old, I would not have argue that. That was not what was said. What was said is "tens of millions believe the devil planted fossils" and to reference the number of "young earth creationists" as proof of that number is just plain wrong, and quite frankly either an intentional misrepresentation of what you are trying to cite, or just plain ignorant. You chose.

I'll repeat myself; ouch.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mace1229 said:

jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

"Young earth creationist" and believing that the devil planted fossils to trick humans are not even close to the same thing.
    ouch.
    Not even close to the same thing? Well, ALL of the latter are the former. So the question is, how many of the former are the latter? They are absolutely linked. One has to be a young earther to even entertain the notion of the devil and dinosaur bones. How else do young earthers explain dinosaurs? Oh, that's right. Many young earthers think that good Ol' Noah had dinosaurs on the Ark, and the dinos communed with man. That still falls into the dolt category. Ouch.

Edit for spelling and grammar.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

ouch.
    Not even same to the close thing? Well, ALL of the latter are the former. So the question is, how many of the former are the latter? They are absolutely linked. One has to be a young earther to even entertain the notion of the devil and dinosaur bones. How else to young earthers explain dinosaurs? Oh, that's right. Many young earthers think that good Ol' Noah had dinosaurs on the Ark, and the dinos communed with man. That still falls into the dolt category. Ouch.
    Dolt category is being generous.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

ouch.
    Not even close to the same thing? Well, ALL of the latter are the former. So the question is, how many of the former are the latter? They are absolutely linked. One has to be a young earther to even entertain the notion of the devil and dinosaur bones. How else do young earthers explain dinosaurs? Oh, that's right. Many young earthers think that good Ol' Noah had dinosaurs on the Ark, and the dinos communed with man. That still falls into the dolt category. Ouch.

My original comment, which seems to be ignored, is that even with your citations and your own words 10s of millions do not believe the devil planted fossils to trick humans. That claim is what I was responding to and calling out as being false and/or misleading. I did not defend either side, and in fact do believe the earth to be billions of years old.
    Very true that there are a lot of "young earthers" and I won't dispute any of those numbers. And true that people who believe the devil story are young earthers. But they make up a very small percentage of that group, and to lump them together and one and the same is false.
    That would the same logic to say everyone who owns a jeep has a driver's license. So anyone with a driver's license owns a jeep. Just doesn't work, you're claiming all young earthers believe that devil theory when even your own data suggests otherwise.
    I saw a comment that was wrong, I pointed it out, and some seem to think it was a major burn to reference unrelated articles that don't even mention the devil theory mentioned in the original statement i was referring to.
    I have never heard anyone seriously claim they believe Noah has dinosaurs on the ark either, you are referencing extremely small minorities in the young earthers to make your examples.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

ouch.

My original comment, which seems to be ignored, is that even with your citations and your own words 10s of millions do not believe the devil planted fossils to trick humans. That claim is what I was responding to and calling out as being false and/or misleading. I did not defend either side, and in fact do believe the earth to be billions of years old.
    Very true that there are a lot of "young earthers" and I won't dispute any of those numbers. And true that people who believe the devil story are young earthers. But they make up a very small percentage of that group, and to lump them together and one and the same is false.
    That would the same logic to say everyone who owns a jeep has a driver's license. So anyone with a driver's license owns a jeep. Just doesn't work, you're claiming all young earthers believe that devil theory when even your own data suggests otherwise.
    I saw a comment that was wrong, I pointed it out, and some seem to think it was a major burn to reference unrelated articles that don't even mention the devil theory mentioned in the original statement i was referring to.
    I have never heard anyone seriously claim they believe Noah has dinosaurs on the ark either, you are referencing extremely small minorities in the young earthers to make your examples.
    There are only a couple of choices young earthers could have to explain away dinosaurs, though. They were either with Noah, or they were a trick from the devil. If the earth is 6,000 years old, then those pesky dinosaurs create a real problem for them. Anyway, that gets explained away pretty quickly. Check out The Institute for Creation Research's website for an answer from a Ph.D. (shit, they must give those things away like samples at Costco): How Do The Dinosaurs Fit In?
    "God had told Noah to bring pairs of each kind of land animal on board the Ark, including, evidently, the dinosaurs (7:15). Recognizing that as reptiles, dinosaurs would have continued to grow as long as they lived, implying that the oldest would be the largest, there was plenty of room on board the Ark for the younger ones. Thus the dinosaurs on board the Ark probably would have been young adults, no bigger than a cow perhaps. But the world after the Flood was much different than before, with much less vegetation and a colder, harsher climate, and evidently the dinosaurs gradually died out. Perhaps they were even hunted to extinction, as would be indicated by the many legends of dragons, the descriptions of which closely resemble dinosaurs."
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Here, I will revise, but it's not less zany.

Tens of millions of people believe that the Earth is a few thousand years old and dinosaurs are a trick by the devil or that they lived, died, and were somehow fossilized in that time.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    rgambs said:

Here, I will revise, but it's not less zany.

Tens of millions of people believe that the Earth is a few thousand years old and dinosaurs are a trick by the devil or that they lived, died, and were somehow fossilized in that time.

Don't forget that they think carbon dating is fake science.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

unsung said:

well when litle johnny gets a bout of measles i hope it will be comforting to the parents that they knew their child best. and i hope they explain to little johnny that they could have prevented this disease but chose not to against overwhelming evidence that vaccinations do work in the vast majority of cases work to prevent preventable diseases such as his.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say