Options

Education

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Yes, imagine that parents knowing what is best for their children.
  • Options
    riley540 said:

Conservatives perceive liberal bias in schools because nearly everything conservatives believe in can be dismantled with facts and information. Why would you have conservatives around in an environment where you're exposed to logic, history, science, and facts? I'm sure I may have upset some of the snowflakes in here. Have at it.

This is the liberal arrogance that lost the election.
    I figured on that reaction. Knowledge about the truth didn't lose it. It was low turnout in certain areas, combined with Clinton's inability to effectively connect with working class people in PA OH and WI specifically. She didn't convey how she can improve their situation.
    I know people in my home state of Alaska went for trump because they really want to work again. They felt like Hillary was ignoring them. Trumps message was jobs, Hillarys was everything else. People need to eat!! And have a roof over their head. Industry in AK has been crushed the past 3 years, so I think people voted for a change of pace.

So does he have a plan to bring jobs to Alaska? I'm serious. All I've heard is he'll bring jobs back to our country with no mention of how.

Also, I was an accounting major in college. Not much room for bias in those classes.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

As long as it isn't big government.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

As long as it isn't big government.
    Irrelevant what it is.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128

riley540 said:

Conservatives perceive liberal bias in schools because nearly everything conservatives believe in can be dismantled with facts and information. Why would you have conservatives around in an environment where you're exposed to logic, history, science, and facts? I'm sure I may have upset some of the snowflakes in here. Have at it.

I figured on that reaction. Knowledge about the truth didn't lose it. It was low turnout in certain areas, combined with Clinton's inability to effectively connect with working class people in PA OH and WI specifically. She didn't convey how she can improve their situation.
    I know people in my home state of Alaska went for trump because they really want to work again. They felt like Hillary was ignoring them. Trumps message was jobs, Hillarys was everything else. People need to eat!! And have a roof over their head. Industry in AK has been crushed the past 3 years, so I think people voted for a change of pace.

So does he have a plan to bring jobs to Alaska? I'm serious. All I've heard is he'll bring jobs back to our country with no mention of how.

Also, I was an accounting major in college. Not much room for bias in those classes.
    Executive action was taking to shut down a lot of the Bristol bay and north slope work in Alaska. Thousands of people out of work. I'm sure there was a reason, but none was really given by the president, and trump said he would review all the executive orders. Therefore, hope to get some jobs back up there
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Is there a state more dependant on the government than Alaska? Serious question.
  • Options

Is there a state more dependant on the government than Alaska? Serious question.

Depends. The villages are very much dependent for a few reasons. The villages have huge drug and Alcohol problems, so many of the villagers get sent to anchorage to live in government housing.

But the work industry is quite separate. Sometimes Alaska feels like it's own place. The state government can make a lot better calls than the federal government, and it's the federal that shut down a lot of the jobs.

• Options

At the end of the day and a huge believer is state government, and giving states most of the power
  • Options

Area or population?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Area or population?
    I misread the question. And i don't think that's an easy question to answer. Some cities have massive government assistance, and some places don't. Alaska is fairly independent
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

There are lots of different ways I've seen this sliced and diced, but have never seen Alaska listed as the most dependent state. In this one, they're the 48th most dependent state (or the 3rd least dependent state). https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

There are lots of different ways I've seen this sliced and diced, but have never seen Alaska listed as the most dependent state. In this one, they're the 48th most dependent state (or the 3rd least dependent state). https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Wahoo! Alaska is awesome!

• Options
    riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

But when I hear some Alaskan going on about the government, I wonder what they do with their Alaska permanent fund payout? Send it back or happily cash it? Seems hypocritical to me.
  • Options

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

But when I hear some Alaskan going on about the government, I wonder what they do with their Alaska permanent fund payout? Send it back or happily cash it? Seems hypocritical to me.
    Isn't that paid by the State?
  • Options

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Not at all. The fund was created as an investment vehicle, and uses a percentage of state natural resource royalties to invest in social and economic growth in the state. When the fund does well, the citizens benefit. Seems like a great program to me, and has nothing to do with the feds. All states should do something like this to ween off the teat. There are states in our union (like South Carolina) who are net leeches, and receive almost $8 in federal spending for every $1 they contribute. I'd rather emulate Alaska.
  • Options

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

The PFD is done by the state and is usually between $800 and $1500. It gets a lot of people out shopping, traveling, and recreating.

• Options
    jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Not at all. The fund was created as an investment vehicle, and uses a percentage of state natural resource royalties to invest in social and economic growth in the state. When the fund does well, the citizens benefit. Seems like a great program to me, and has nothing to do with the feds. All states should do something like this to ween off the teat. There are states in our union (like South Carolina) who are net leeches, and receive almost $8 in federal spending for every $1 they contribute. I'd rather emulate Alaska.
    I understand it's a state government thing. That's my point though. Isn't it the government taking private industry profits and redistributing the money to everyone? Commies!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

I understand it's a state government thing. That's my point though. Isn't it the government taking private industry profits and redistributing the money to everyone? Commies!
    And you'd be here complaining if the companies weren't paying taxes.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

The fund uses a percentage of its own revenues from leases and royalties. So it is investing state money. It isn't grabbing private industry profits and redistributing them. This is money that is already being paid to the state for royalties and leases. Not commies. Just smart money management.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Nobody seems to complain in Alaska, because even the workers on the oil field receive the PDF. It's always been a win for everyone in the state
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

The fund uses a percentage of its own revenues from leases and royalties. So it is investing state money. It isn't grabbing private industry profits and redistributing them. This is money that is already being paid to the state for royalties and leases. Not commies. Just smart money management.
    I used my PFD in 2013 to travel to Spokane to see my first PJ show! Wahoo!

• Options
    riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Nobody seems to complain in Alaska, because even the workers on the oil field receive the PDF. It's always been a win for everyone in the state
    A state that doesn't rely on the feds??? They must want to secede!!! Racists!!!!
  • Options
    unsung said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

A state that doesn't rely on the feds??? They must want to secede!!! Racists!!!!
    Government is good government if you benefit directly!
  • Options
    unsung said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Ha! Alaska is awesome. Super nice people. No noticeable racial divide. Everyone gets along. And we all ride polar bears to our igloos after school
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Isn't "leases and royalties" synonyms for taxes? I don't really care about the apf, as redistribution of wealth has it's place. But let's at least be honest. People shouldn't celebrate the resistrubtion in one program, and decry it in another (e.g. Food stamps etc).
  • Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Isn't "leases and royalties" synonyms for taxes? I don't really care about the apf, as redistribution of wealth has it's place. But let's at least be honest. People shouldn't celebrate the resistrubtion in one program, and decry it in another (e.g. Food stamps etc).
    Sure, but that is a far cry from redistribution of private industry profits. It is a fete acompli that almost all of us will pay into the system in one way or another. It has to be that way. I'm not here arguing for no government, no regulation, etc... But I want an accountable government, a fiscally responsible government, and a government that respects an individual's rights and liberties. Alaska seems to be able to do that better than most, which is why I jumped in. I am not a Libertarian, or a Republican or a Democrat. I'm a pragmatist. So perhaps you have me confused with someone else. For the record, my ballot was probably 85% Democrat, 14% Republican and 1% Libertarian this time around. I vote issues and candidates, not party. And sometimes my vote doesn't reflect my actual preference, because my actual preference is not one of the options. Just putting this out there, because I think that you somehow believe that I'm a believer in no-government-ever-for-anything, and that is absolutely not the case. But I do have a very negative view of the federal government, and them mess they've become. I'm more interested and tied to community involvement and local and state government. The feds are out of touch.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

riley540 said:

jeffbr said:

Sure, but that is a far cry from redistribution of private industry profits. It is a fete acompli that almost all of us will pay into the system in one way or another. It has to be that way. I'm not here arguing for no government, no regulation, etc... But I want an accountable government, a fiscally responsible government, and a government that respects an individual's rights and liberties. Alaska seems to be able to do that better than most, which is why I jumped in. I am not a Libertarian, or a Republican or a Democrat. I'm a pragmatist. So perhaps you have me confused with someone else. For the record, my ballot was probably 85% Democrat, 14% Republican and 1% Libertarian this time around. I vote issues and candidates, not party. And sometimes my vote doesn't reflect my actual preference, because my actual preference is not one of the options. Just putting this out there, because I think that you somehow believe that I'm a believer in no-government-ever-for-anything, and that is absolutely not the case. But I do have a very negative view of the federal government, and them mess they've become. I'm more interested and tied to community involvement and local and state government. The feds are out of touch.
    I'm speaking more to a broader audience and used the apf as an example. I got to watch Sanders go down because of the bullshit "free stuff" argument, when those same people happily take their "free stuff" and try to call it something else. I'd prefer we look at each gov proposal case by case, rather than people apply this low level belief that government bad, private good, to everything.
  • Options
    riley540 said:

riley540 said:

Executive action was taking to shut down a lot of the Bristol bay and north slope work in Alaska. Thousands of people out of work. I'm sure there was a reason, but none was really given by the president, and trump said he would review all the executive orders. Therefore, hope to get some jobs back up there
    It would be nice if you guys could get some jobs up there. My dad worked in Alaska back in the 60's. He didn't last very long! As for the executive orders, I know Trump said he would review and strike down any unconstitutional executive orders. Not sure which ones, if any, were unconstitutional. Guess we'll see.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    It seems the College is taking this a bit far. Sounds like the professor had a meltdown. Stupid acts like this only fuel the fire that this is how all college classes and professors push their own personal views instead of an unbiased discussion.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/12/08/orange-coast-college-student-threatened-with-expulsion-after-recording-professors-anti-trump-tirade/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Progress.

As Sen. Sanders said, "Our job is to encourage every person in this country to get all of the education they can, not to punish them for getting that education."

Alongside Sanders, New York Governor Announces First-in-Nation Free Tuition Plan

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/03/alongside-sanders-new-york-governor-announces-first-nation-free-tuition-plan