Options

Education

riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
Something that I think is a big issue is never discussed during elections.

College has become the biggest scam in the country and nobody seems to care. I went for 3 semesters and it was just political propaganda. And I was paying for an education.

Also, general education requirements need to go away. They are only a cash grab for the universities. It's basicallly high school all over again, but you pay thousands of dollars for it.

Make math optional. The number one reason for drop outs is algebra. No other country makes an English student take math.

At the end of the day, do things besides college, it is an outdated scam that's best interests are robbing people blind.

I cracked up when they exposed the "trump university scam" I laughed and said "haha! It's just like normal college!"

I'm pissed at the system

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,240
    What about the college you attended was political propaganda? I don't agree with every gen ed requirement, but most help you to be more marketable, especially when you start out and don't always work in your area of study.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,618
    Welcome to trumpworld, where being exposed to facts, theories, different thoughts and views is a bad thing. Please don't apply all this fear and ignorance crap to education. It's bad enough already.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I thought the internet would make us smarter ...
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,849
    Jason P said:

I thought the internet would make us smarter ...

Just gave not so smart people a louder voice...
    There's still smart people out there, a lot are tired of trying to talk with not so smart ones... more of them need to act though...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    The problem is that every kid is programmed that they must go to college. There are plenty of well paying jobs, carpenter, electrician, plumber, mechanic to name a few, that does not require a degree. The problem is kids are sent to college with no guidance and pick Liberal Arts or some other bullshit major that does nothing for them but give them a piece of paper. Education is important, but college should not be forced upon kids that have no idea what they want.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

The problem is that every kid is programmed that they must go to college. There are plenty of well paying jobs, carpenter, electrician, plumber, mechanic to name a few, that does not require a degree. The problem is kids are sent to college with no guidance and pick Liberal Arts or some other bullshit major that does nothing for them but give them a piece of paper. Education is important, but college should not be forced upon kids that have no idea what they want.

Totally. I know I felt super pressured to go in high school. Now I'm 10 grand in the hole because it wasn't for me
  • Options
    riley540 said:

Totally. I know I felt super pressured to go in high school. Now I'm 10 grand in the hole because it wasn't for me
    So since something wasn't for you, you decide to degrade its value?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I don't disagree, but most of those jobs don't pay as well as they used to, and many people who have them work damn well harder than they would like to!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

agree 100%. i think more kids should hold off on going right away. and the biggest problem is that it has become so expensive that it's hard to go and take different classes to see what interests you. switching majors has now become an economic issue. it somewhat forces kids to make decisions way earlier than they should. i mean very few have any idea what they want to do at 16-18. hell i still don't and im in my 40s.
  • Options

riley540 said:

All I'm saying it has become a greed filled institution. Look at how unreasonably prices everything is in college. Somebody's getting richer, and less graduates are working.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,240
    I still am wondering what you meant by political propaganda?

I agree, not everyone should go to college if they aren't sure why or for what. High school counselors and parents should be helping their children make an informed decision. Take some time to decide if a trade is a better option or do some job shadowing.

Not having any direction isn't an option either though.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

I agree, not everyone should go to college if they aren't sure why or for what. High school counselors and parents should be helping their children make an informed decision. Take some time to decide if a trade is a better option or do some job shadowing.

Every teacher teaches with a political bias weather it's to the left or right. I had maybe two teachers that were professional and stuck to theory related to the class.

• Options
    tbergs said:

An example, yesterday my girlfriends communications teacher was trying to recruite students to march against Donald trump... I'm not a trump fan, but cmon. Techers shouldn't do that shit

• Options
    riley540 said:

riley540 said:

All I'm saying it has become a greed filled institution. Look at how unreasonably prices everything is in college. Somebody's getting richer, and less graduates are working.

More college grads are working, not less. The unemployment rate for young college grads is 2.5% and that number has been steadily dropping.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

but if you dont go to a university and get a degree liberals will call you deplorable!!!!! i mean who needs construction workers, mechanics, and the sort

oh and this is coming from a guy with a bachelors degree and 35,000 in student loans
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

but if you dont go to a university and get a degree liberals will call you deplorable!!!!! i mean who needs construction workers, mechanics, and the sort

oh and this is coming from a guy with a bachelors degree and 35,000 in student loans
    Yawn. Deplorables, i.e. Racists, you can find at any education level, there just tends to be more at the less educated end of things.
  • Options
    All my life I've been told I will be a failure if I don't get a degree.
  • Options
    I've learned more from spending 2 hours on YouTube than 2 years at a university
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    im all for the trades & apprenticeship programs: heavy equipment operating, welding, truck driving, electrician, pluming & carpentry. yep harder work than a bullshit office gig or what have you. a crane operator in whatever city makes good money. the railroad is another way to go. railroad folks are not starving to death at all.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    riley540 said:

I've learned more from spending 2 hours on YouTube than 2 years at a university

Then you really wasted your time there!
  • Options
    a big number of students drop out of college because algebra kicks their asses? that is something. i guess we have our strengths & weaknesses.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

a big number of students drop out of college because algebra kicks their asses? that is something. i guess we have our strengths & weaknesses.

I wrote a paper about it when I was in college
  • Options
    chadwick said:

im all for the trades & apprenticeship programs: heavy equipment operating, welding, truck driving, electrician, pluming & carpentry. yep harder work than a bullshit office gig or what have you. a crane operator in whatever city makes good money. the railroad is another way to go. railroad folks are not starving to death at all.

For me it isn't about how hard the work is, it is about how many hours are required. I don't know anybody in the trades that has the luxury of a 40 hour week. Most can't even get a 50 hour week.
    That is why railroad folks are still trying to send their kids to college, so that they can have an easier life.
    Money isn't everything, time is.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    riley540 said:

chadwick said:

I wrote a paper about it when I was in college
    I'll admit I've always had an affinity for math, but I really feel it's necessary for general education, because it forces a rigidly objective way of thinking that the arts can't. Algebraic equations will always lead you to a certain answer if the rules are adhered to, whereas two essays won't ever be written the same or perceived the same. Those rules are logical structure, and logical structure is a fundamental for any form of valid persuasion (and everyone is a salesperson for a living - whether you're selling product, service, your own ideas, your own value, etc.). That being said, I'll agree that a mathematics program has failed if it hasn't shown you where to apply the things you're learning, or at least has highlighted how that form of thinking can help you in life.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rgambs said:

chadwick said:

For me it isn't about how hard the work is, it is about how many hours are required. I don't know anybody in the trades that has the luxury of a 40 hour week. Most can't even get a 50 hour week.
    That is why railroad folks are still trying to send their kids to college, so that they can have an easier life.
    Money isn't everything, time is.
    fact, sir, & well put.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hell with it, become rock & roll stars

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    riley540 said:

tbergs said:

An example, yesterday my girlfriends communications teacher was trying to recruite students to march against Donald trump... I'm not a trump fan, but cmon. Techers shouldn't do that shit

I went to a Liberal university and let me tell you this is the norm...one of my professors for an hour was railing on republicans and conservatives, which i am fiscally but not socially and being that i wasn't a traditional student and was older than the average college kid i challenged him on his POV and he didn't like it
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

riley540 said:

tbergs said:

I went to a Liberal university and let me tell you this is the norm...one of my professors for an hour was railing on republicans and conservatives, which i am fiscally but not socially and being that i wasn't a traditional student and was older than the average college kid i challenged him on his POV and he didn't like it
    I'm happy that someone else knows what I'm talking about! I feel like everyone in my town would be out to get me if they knew I didn't want to rally against trump right now.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    chadwick said:

I agree, especially welders. They are in crazy high demand and always have been!
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

riley540 said:

tbergs said:

Did you skip research methodology class, because anecdotal stories don't establish a norm.