Options

Mike Pence

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831

^^^
    Who/what determines straight?

biology.
    I know but I really want to hear a response why conversion therapy is destructive first.
    take the flip-side of it. let's say people wanted you to go to gay conversion therapy, as being heterosexual is unnatural. do you not think that therapy to undo something that is instinct/natural can be destructive to that person?

love is love.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

^^^
    Who/what determines straight?

biology.
    I know but I really want to hear a response why conversion therapy is destructive first.
    Not sure if you're shit-stirring, but I'll humor what I see as an inane question.

Imagine if you were told who you are is "wrong". And then thrust into an environment that insists you should be different from that person you know you are, and uses various means to guide you to someone you're not.

It's a violation of soul and spirit, and really, just fucking ridiculous. And no one's business.

That, over everything else. No one's business.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2016
    ^^^
    Asking a question to one particular person and getting responses from another asking if I am shit-stirring is not conducive to furthering discussion.
    Why is it destructive?
  • Options

^^^
    Asking a question to one particular person and getting responses from another asking if I am shit-stirring is not conducive to furthering discussion.
    Why is it destructive?

so then learn to use the quote function instead of the stupid arrows. both myself and @hedonist answered why it was destructive. if you are asking someone else, quote them.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Actually, this is an open forum. I thought we can all chime in? I think we all have at some point. Cool beans for me.

To your question, asked and answered.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

so then learn to use the quote function instead of the stupid arrows. both myself and @hedonist answered why it was destructive. if you are asking someone else, quote them.
    Also....in case it has not been pointed out on here.....IT DOESN'T WORK :dizzy:
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I'll post the link again. Click. Read. Even in the link you can see it says, "The lies and dangers of reparative therapy." Sounds kind of destructive to me.

http://www.hrc.org/resources/the-lies-and-dangers-of-reparative-therapy
  • Options

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:
    See my comment about what it's like at Broadway plays.
    I saw it. Just because someone can do something it doesn't mean they always should. Like I said...it's the cast's right but it's self defeating and it makes them look small.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/steven-van-zandt-tells-hamilton-to-apologize-to-mike-pence-w451539

#I'mwithstevie
    It doesn't make them look small, it makes Pence look small.

Imagine being a black, gay person whose HIV positive. You Are a hated MINORITY by the VP elect.

Now imagine that the new VP thinks you need shock therapy.

You have the microphone and it is a regular night where you make a speech after the show. AND this hateful man is there.

YOU have the microphone.

You know the shock therapy accusation is bullshit right? Please tell me you do?

http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-supported-gay-conversion-therapy/

Like I said...again...they have the right to do it but it makes them look small and it's self defeating. It does no damage to Pence in any way no matter what you think of him. If anything some people like Van Zandt who don't support him will actually become sympathetic.

Pence supports conversion therapy for gays, which is destructive.
    Why do you feel it's destructive?
    um, seriously?
    Yes I am serious and would like to hear GoBeavers response.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Thank you cast of Hamilton for finally saying something to this administration. MP is perhaps the closest thing to sanity the ESP has around him.

nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/mike-pence-hamilton.html
  • Options
    hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Actually, this is an open forum. I thought we can all chime in? I think we all have at some point. Cool beans for me.
    Ok.
    So if this Pence guy is for conversion therapy and wants to provide funds for it can this not be interpreted as a person who wants equal access for all. Are there not people out there who want to change their sexual preferences w/ out govt or public influence.
    Would it not be a comforting feeling knowing that if you feel that way there is help? Unbiased and funded.
    It is not destructive if a person choses to seek change from the opportunities presented.
  • Options

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.
    So if this Pence guy is for conversion therapy and wants to provide funds for it can this not be interpreted as a person who wants equal access for all. Are there not people out there who want to change their sexual preferences w/ out govt or public influence.
    Would it not be a comforting feeling knowing that if you feel that way there is help? Unbiased and funded.
    It is not destructive if a person choses to seek change from the opportunities presented.
    you need to research conversion therapy.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2016
    ^^^
    I realize it is like religion.
    Yet there are people who look to it and there is no changing their mind.
    So if a govt can provide w/ out prejudice services to all who feel that way and keep church and state separate they are doing their job.
  • Options

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.
    Equal access for what? Why would someone who is gay or bi or straight seek out changing who they are? Outside influences aside.

Not getting your attempted points. Mine is live and let live.
  • Options
    ^^^
    All people can live equally as long as the smallest person is allowed to grow.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

^^^

You got something against small people?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2016
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.
    Equal access for what? Why would someone who is gay or bi or straight seek out changing who they are? Outside influences aside.

I'm with you Hedo and I don't mean to defend Pence or PJFan on this because I personally think conversion therapy is insane but I'm not sure the funds Pence voted to make available for conversion therapy was for "forced" treatment. So even if what we think is stupid in concept the intention of the funding was for those individuals who might want to change who they are to get help. Do those people even exist? I am not sure. In my own life I have a cousin on my wife's side who came out in her 20's...married another woman in with a similar story...they had kids....and 10 years later the other woman decided she was straight again. Also she insists that she is not and was not bisexual from her perspective. It is all completely live and let live but I guess the point is that the tracks some people take are not always in one direction when it comes to sexuality. Again I don't think conversion therapy has any place in the equation but in some ways the science with respect to sexuality is not completely settled for all cases. I mean this woman insisted she was born gay for the longest time and then later in life insisted she was straight. In the end she should be what makes her happy but it is interesting how it differs from the usual pattern. So to bring it back is sometimes therapy of some kind can be useful to people who are questioning themselves and funding might be less offensive if the "conversion" aspect was taken out of it. The therapist should help someone discover who they are but should never try to make someone be who they aren't.
  • Options

^^^

No of course not.
    When it rains they are last ones to get wet.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

I'm with you Hedo and I don't mean to defend Pence or PJFan on this because I personally think conversion therapy is insane but I'm not sure the funds Pence voted to make available for conversion therapy was for "forced" treatment. So even if what we think is stupid in concept the intention of the funding was for those individuals who might want to change who they are to get help. Do those people even exist? I am not sure. In my own life I have a cousin on my wife's side who came out in her 20's...married another woman in with a similar story...they had kids....and 10 years later the other woman decided she was straight again. Also she insists that she is not and was not bisexual from her perspective. It is all completely live and let live but I guess the point is that the tracks some people take are not always in one direction when it comes to sexuality. Again I don't think conversion therapy has any place in the equation but in some ways the science with respect to sexuality is not completely settled for all cases. I mean this woman insisted she was born gay for the longest time and then later in life insisted she was straight. In the end she should be what makes her happy but it is interesting how it differs from the usual pattern. So to bring it back is sometimes therapy of some kind can be useful to people who are questioning themselves and funding might be less offensive if the "conversion" aspect was taken out of it. The therapist should help someone discover who they are but should never try to make someone be who they aren't.
    Sometimes when you fall in love with someone, it doesn't matter what sex they are. Love is blind. Don't judge.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426

^^^

No of course not.
    When it rains they are last ones to get wet.
    ^^^^now you finally said something kind of funny
  • Options
    Free said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

Sometimes when you fall in love with someone, it doesn't matter what sex they are. Love is blind. Don't judge.
    I don't think BS is judging here.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

The bolded part caught my attention - thank you for that. I'll need to process it all a bit more, but at the moment, I can't help thinking that it's kind of fucked up that anyone should need professional help to find or just BE themselves beyond the general path(s) of life. You love who you love, you are who you are. Who else, but yourself, needs to be answered to?

Some will need that help due to the assholes of this world, just wish it weren't that way (says my idealist self).

• Options

Free said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

Ha - similar mindset.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

The bolded part caught my attention - thank you for that. I'll need to process it all a bit more, but at the moment, I can't help thinking that it's kind of fucked up that anyone should need professional help to find or just BE themselves beyond the general path(s) of life. You love who you love, you are who you are. Who else, but yourself, needs to be answered to?

Some will need that help due to the assholes of this world, just wish it weren't that way (says my idealist self).

hedonist said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

Life can bring many unexpected events or experiences that make us question what we thought we knew about ourselves. Sometimes a neutral professional can be very helpful in figuring that out. I don't find that fucked up at all. We all need help in life at one point or another.
  • Options
    This is set to expire, I wonder if it will get extended?

The tax law change, part of a bill that President Obama is expected to sign, would provide an incentive for investors in live theatrical productions by accelerating deductions and by ending the practice of requiring them to pay income tax on what producers call “phantom profits,” which is money returned to investors that is less than the amount they had initially invested. Investment in theater is highly risky — most Broadway shows fail financially — so the industry wants to make it as attractive as possible.
  • Options

hedonist said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

hedonist said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

Life can bring many unexpected events or experiences that make us question what we thought we knew about ourselves. Sometimes a neutral professional can be very helpful in figuring that out. I don't find that fucked up at all. We all need help in life at one point or another.
    I do get that, often...I've turned to the objective perspective (read: therapy) myself and it did help over time. That's not fucked up in itself, at all. I think maybe I'm focusing more on what takes us...well, what took me...to that point.

(sorry if the quotes are messed up; they were on preview, anyway)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

hedonist said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

I do get that, often...I've turned to the objective perspective (read: therapy) myself and it did help over time. That's not fucked up in itself, at all. I think maybe I'm focusing more on what takes us...well, what took me...to that point.

(sorry if the quotes are messed up; they were on preview, anyway)
    I think you're on point and I agree with you about the "assholes" in your previous statement as they often cloud the ability of those questioning themselves to come to terms with self identity honestly. It's why I find the "conversion" aspect distasteful because it is direction and not self-discovery but it doesn't mean that therapy on questions of identity is a bad thing as long as it's non-judgemental and doesn't have a predetermined outcome.
  • Options

Free said:

BS44325 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

^^^
    Why is it destructive?

Ok.

Clearly not but we can't assume everyone on here has equal reading comprehension skills.
  • Options
    Pence on the Hamilton incident.
    I heard the speech, I heard the boos and cheers, I nudged my daughter and said, that's what freedom sounds like.
    Said it was a great show and recommended everyone (with a few grand laying around) to go see it.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Pence on the Hamilton incident.
    I heard the speech, I heard the boos and cheers, I nudged my daughter and said, that's what freedom sounds like.
    Said it was a great show and recommended everyone (with a few grand laying around) to go see it.

300% classier than his douche boss.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com