Options

Dem Party

Comments

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    End the two party system, and just have people run as individuals with ideas. I bet half the American voters would be in a frenzy because they wouldn't know who their guy/girl should be without the labels
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited January 2017
    benjs said:

Free said:

Everyone's a fucking victim, wah!

WTF. There's a reason for the song WMA.

"I've seen it all before,..
    Bring it on cause I'm no victim"

Just like you're a victim of the wrath of the DNC - The Party you don't belong to yet which you put your faith in, in spite of evidence contrary to what you wish they were? No matter how many times you call a dog a cat, it's still a dog - and when it barks and you continue to say "good kitty", I'm at a loss for what to say.
    See what I mean? Pointing fingers is classy. Real classy Benjs. You want to have a mature conversation or you want to fingerpointpoint. Which is it .

What is it that you don't understand? Americans lost. Everyone contributed. Now let's get together to get this going again, because it's not gonna be the republican party, so the Democratic Party better pick up the slack.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Free said:

benjs said:

Free said:

Just like you're a victim of the wrath of the DNC - The Party you don't belong to yet which you put your faith in, in spite of evidence contrary to what you wish they were? No matter how many times you call a dog a cat, it's still a dog - and when it barks and you continue to say "good kitty", I'm at a loss for what to say.
    See what I mean? Pointing fingers is classy. Real classy Benjs. They want to have a mature of him station or you want to think your point. Which is it .
    Pointing fingers and pointing out hypocrisies are not the same thing.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    riley540 said:

End the two party system, and just have people run as individuals with ideas. I bet half the American voters would be in a frenzy because they wouldn't know who their guy/girl should be without the labels

Right? How come you and I can understand this but 2-party members, and Canadians, can't?

Down with status quo, seeking real soutions, which are found outside the corrupt two-party system, is what we need. Not running inside a hamster wheel, going nowhere.

But until then, the Democratic Party must do something, because wow, look at the Republican Party. Until we get a third-party in action, we have to rely on the Democratic Party to actually be Democratic.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

riley540 said:

Right? How come you and I can understand this but 2-party members, and Canadians, can't?

Down with status quo, seeking real soutions, which are found outside the corrupt two-party system, is what we need. Not running inside a hamster wheel, going nowhere.

But until then, the Democratic Party must do something!!
    Free, I've implored you several times here to explain how you get the powerful to relinquish their power, and you have not given me an answer with a semblance of how that would occur. You also haven't given BS an answer of even a single member who would have the chops to make this dramatic structural change. You're welcome to keep accusing people of pointing fingers, but you've only identified the "what", and not the "how" of replacing the soul of an organization whose engine runs on corruption.

I'm an idealist in the sense that I can recognize corruption, that I don't want to tolerate corruption, and that I feel that things could run better with an allegiance to the people over money - but I'm a realist first. Who should exert pressure to change the DNC? What kind of pressure will the powerful respond to? With the recent election cycle showing that corruption and blatant (instead of masked) lies beget success, how do you sell this need for an about face? To reiterate: the most visibly corrupt and self-serving political administration just beat the Democrats in all levels of government. Be ashamed of the Democratic Party all you'd like, but the reality remains that a corrupt party lost to an even more corrupt party - so what does that tell you about how to succeed in politics?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Benjs, you and BS can keep bugging me about DNC chair, but I don't think you really want an answer. You guys just want to keep harping at me and besides, maybe I don't have a solution. Do you? What is your solution? Where would you start? You've been asking that question for months about "how you get the powerful to relinquish their power," and you know that there is no simple answer, which is why you keep asking it.

Like I asked you months ago, how do you get rid of gerrymandering? How do you get money out of politics? If You can answer that please, especially since you don't live and breathe what it's like to be a citizen here.

"A corrupt party lost to an even more corrupt party", that's right. Tell us what you would do to make things better.

And just to make you two happy. I used to like Ellison, but now I'm not so sure.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Free said:

Benjs, you and BS can keep bugging me about DNC chair, but I don't think you really want an answer. You guys just want to keep harping at me and besides, maybe I don't have a solution. Do you? What is your solution? Where would you start? You've been asking that question for months about "how you get the powerful to relinquish their power," and you know that there is no simple answer, which is why you keep asking it.

Like I asked you months ago, how do you get rid of gerrymandering? How do you get money out of politics? If You can answer that please, especially since you don't live and breathe what it's like to be a citizen here.

"A corrupt party lost to an even more corrupt party", that's right. Tell us what you would do to make things better.

And just to make you two happy. I used to like Ellison, but now I'm not so sure.

Was that so hard?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    " Who should exert pressure to change the DNC?" - Benjs

Who should exert power over Trump? Will the Dems impeach and when?
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    BS44325 said:

Free said:

Was that so hard?
    Getting people to relinquish power and money would pretty much go against human nature. That is quite a challenge.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,618
    Free said:

" Who should exert pressure to change the DNC?" - Benjs

Who should exert power over Trump? Will the Dems impeach and when?

R's and D's will both be impeaching. Six months approximately.
  • Options
    Free said:

I don't know how to get rid of gerrymandering, nor how to get money out of politics. I don't have a solution, because I'm not looking for a solution, because the more that I think about it, the less I believe that there is a solution. I keep asking the question not because I doubt there's a simple answer, but because I doubt there's an answer. I'm sorry to take a defeatist attitude, but I perceive far too much rewarded corruption, too much populace complacency based on a collective psyche that appreciates staying in line and condemns critical thought.

The reason I ask you about how the powerful will relinquish their power for a restructuring, is because I believe that it is a critical step in changing of the guards, and I believe that without that answer, that restructuring is destined to fail. Of course I'm all for protests to drive change, but to hope that a protest will lead to the powerful accepting such radical and progressive change, is not realistic when the powerful reap the benefits of doing the wrong thing. Hope is not a plan, and in this case is not aligned with the reality of human nature.

Despite what you may think, I'm not a vindictive asshole who wants you to admit you're wrong, I'm an engaged and interested citizen trying to learn and teach. I will continue to play devil's advocate on the topic of bringing about change, until I hear something with a basis in logic.

EV
  • Options
    Benjs, I know you're ideological, as am I. But the big difference between you and me is that you lean cynical whereas I lean toward hope and positivity. And that's a character issue. You weren't at a march on Saturday clearly, because I've been hearing everywhere that that historic moment made citizens aware of their power and real hope and charge for the future.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Free said:

Benjs, I know you're ideological, as am I. But the big difference between you and me is that you lean cynical whereas I lean toward hope and positivity. And that's a character issue. You weren't at a march on Saturday clearly, because I've been hearing everywhere that that historic moment made citizens aware of their power and real hope and charge for the future.

Way to drop an insult...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Free said:

this is the funniest thing I have read here in a while. :rofl:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Free said:

benjs said:

Free said:

See what I mean? Pointing fingers is classy. Real classy Benjs. You want to have a mature conversation or you want to fingerpointpoint. Which is it .

What is it that you don't understand? Americans lost. Everyone contributed. Now let's get together to get this going again, because it's not gonna be the republican party, so the Democratic Party better pick up the slack.
    how is that pointing fingers? he's calling a spade a spade. you keep whining about the democratic party and all their supporters and how they screwed us all. talk about pointing fingers.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Free said:

Hope and positivity can be channeled to produce change, but there are steps in the middle that must be taken to reach that goal. I'm really glad that people feel hopeful now as a result of the march - the perception of potential for empowerment is the first step towards attaining that empowerment, but frankly that was the easiest part of the equation. The reason I'm fixated on how the powerful will relinquish their power is because it is unprecedented for them to do so unless their power is threatened. If the DNC continues to lose power at their current rate of decline, their members will still be set financially until their dying days. That fact, coupled with Blue states turning Red implying a trajectory against (not towards) a progressive agenda, diminish the scope and negative value of threat from public dissent.

I'm sorry you feel that my character is flawed, but I think you're mistaking cynicism for pragmatism. Just as a moving object will not change directions without an effective external force applied to it, neither will the DNC. You refuse to address what effective external force that may be. Protesters are external, but they are not effective if they do not add friction to the direction the party is attempting to head in. Your "high hopes, high expectations, no plan" math does not add up. And that's a logic issue.

EV
  • Options
    I didn't say you were flawed, I said you seem cynical.
  • Options
    Free said:

Most people will take having a "character issue" to imply a flaw. In any case, cynics believe that people are inherently disingenuous, and I don't believe people calling for change are disingenuous whatsoever. Thus, I am not a cynic. I am logical, however, and the logic I presented which you haven't refuted in any meaningful way, suggests to me that I should be skeptical of the potential for change.

When protesters can successfully identify efforts which will lead to impact (and "protests will create change" isn't enough - the causality must be explained, along with the steps in the middle), then logic will dictate that I should be hopeful that people will put in those efforts. Until then, I might as well run down the streets screaming "Trump is mean" while cartwheeling naked except for underwear on my head. The results will be the same as sending emails to Nancy Pelosi asking if she'll pretty please progressively reform the DNC, and with it surrender the lobbyist dollars she pockets personally.

By the way - I'm still actively trying to come up with the answers to these questions I'm posing to you too. We're after the same thing, I'm just not going to be hopeful unless my hopefulness is aligned with my logic.

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

Free said:

Most people will take having a "character issue" to imply a flaw. In any case, cynics believe that people are inherently disingenuous, and I don't believe people calling for change are disingenuous whatsoever. Thus, I am not a cynic. I am logical, however, and the logic I presented which you haven't refuted in any meaningful way, suggests to me that I should be skeptical of the potential for change.

When protesters can successfully identify efforts which will lead to impact (and "protests will create change" isn't enough - the causality must be explained, along with the steps in the middle), then logic will dictate that I should be hopeful that people will put in those efforts. Until then, I might as well run down the streets screaming "Trump is mean" while cartwheeling naked except for underwear on my head. The results will be the same as sending emails to Nancy Pelosi asking if she'll pretty please progressively reform the DNC, and with it surrender the lobbyist dollars she pockets personally.

By the way - I'm still actively trying to come up with the answers to these questions I'm posing to you too. We're after the same thing, I'm just not going to be hopeful unless my hopefulness is aligned with my logic.
    Cynical.

:lol:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Free said:

benjs said:

Free said:

Cynical.

No, realistic.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Free said:

benjs said:

Free said:

Cynical.

as many people have realized, @benjs, not worth your time.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Why don't we just admit that most here are cynics. It's not necessarily a bad thing thing, though never seeing the positive side of things does affect our own emotional well-being. Kudos to Hugh for jumping in, you never fail.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Would the media and so many be as hysterical about Trump if the democrats controlled the senate, or the house, or both or if there wasnt a supreme justice appointment or two (in the future)?
    I am going to say probably not. I think much of the hysteria stems from the erosion of checks and balances, the increase in presidential (empirical) power over the last 16 years plus a republican house and senate (and soon to be conservative majority SC).
    2017 Trump presidency is effectively King Emperor Trump. That is scary!
    So who is at fault for allowing this to happen?
  • Options
    Free said:

Why don't we just admit that most here are cynics. It's not necessarily a bad thing thing, though never seeing the positive side of things does affect our own emotional well-being. Kudos to Hugh for jumping in, you never fail.

it's not cynical to realize that the changes you are suggesting basically try to undo hundreds of years of political evolution is tantamount to turning off the sun.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JC29856 said:

Would the media and so many be as hysterical about Trump if the democrats controlled the senate, or the house, or both or if there wasnt a supreme justice appointment or two (in the future)?
    I am going to say probably not. I think much of the hysteria stems from the erosion of checks and balances, the increase in presidential (empirical) power over the last 16 years plus a republican house and senate (and soon to be conservative majority SC).
    2017 Trump presidency is effectively King Emperor Trump. That is scary!
    So who is at fault for allowing this to happen?

What do you think? Of course you don't think it was the folks who made an obsession over smearing Clinton with every real and perceived bit of ammunition they could imagine, or the folks who voted for unicorn candidates...
    So who is at fault?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Free said:

it's not cynical to realize that the changes you are suggesting basically try to undo hundreds of years of political evolution is tantamount to turning off the sun.
    Really now, you and Ben must not of seen this. It's already started.
    But continue to be cynical. Do you have any ideas that solve??

Progressives launch ‘Justice Democrats’ to counter party’s ‘corporate’ legislators

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/23/progressives-launch-justice-democrats-to-counter-primary-corporate-legislators/?utm_term=.4b227388cf11#comments
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

benjs said:

Free said:

Cynical.

As I explained above, that's factually inaccurate. Apparently you'd like to live in the post-truth era too, where emotions govern rather than logic. You call me cynical, I explain to you what cynical means and why my frame of mind isn't cynical, you call me cynical once again. You also refuse to address any of my questions, instead choosing to reiterate that I'm either deflective or deflective.

EV
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Free said:

Free said:

Really now, you and Ben must not of seen this. It's already started.
    But continue to be cynical. Do you have any ideas that solve??

Progressives launch ‘Justice Democrats’ to counter party’s ‘corporate’ legislators

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/23/progressives-launch-justice-democrats-to-counter-primary-corporate-legislators/?utm_term=.4b227388cf11#comments
    plenty, and have stated them several times over the years. but you don't want to hear any of them unless they align with whatever mystery propositions you hold but don't want to divulge. because you have annointed yourself the "teacher" here, who asks the questions and how dare anyone question your questions.

you're not interested in discussion, all you want is validation. later.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Goodbye.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,618
    Free said:

I'm optimistic. In fact, yesterday when I said things were better now than they used to be and we aren't trending downward, you were one of the people who disagreed with me.