Options

Dem Party

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Just some FYI on the 2020 Democratic primary schedule and how it relates to reliving slavery and segregation. Notice which states are first. I wonder if NC and Georgia will be pushed back later in the cycle?

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/p/2020-presidential-primary-calendar.html

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    Here is what democrats are actually doing to fight racism against non-whites.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/sen-cory-booker-introduce-bill-remove-confederate-statues-052404285--abc-news-topstories.html

Sen. Cory Booker says he plans to introduce bill to remove Confederate statues from Capitol

Because there just might be enough votes to pass it and dare Trump to veto it.
    CAMPAIGN ADVERTISING 101
    You have an issue with that?
    Honest question - would the removal be Constitutional? If the answer is no, I've got an issue with it too.
    I'm not sure I follow? I was responding to JC's response of Political Campaign 101, as referenced to Booker introducing legislation to remove confederate statues from the capitol building. Without having read the bill, I'll assume it directs the Architect of the Capitol to have them removed, as the Architect is responsible for the care and upkeep as directed by the congress. Please clarify.
    Sorry, I should've been more clear. What I'm wondering is whether a statue representing a movement could be seen as 'expression'. Regardless of the disgusting nature of that movement, the statue itself does not harm people - people misconstrue its existence as freedom to act akin to the Confederate South. 

As far as JC's statement goes, I think we're in agreement, Halifax. I frankly don't give a shit whether Booker's concern about these statues are out of the goodness of his heart, or to prop up his own name: if I want to make society better by moving in a certain direction, and another person wants to move in that direction for other reasons, the outcome of betterment of society remains, no matter how disingenuous it is. That's of literally no concern to me. 
    Well you bring up an excellent question that Rob Dreher (American Conservative Magazine) addressed just recently.  I'll paraphrase... He teaches a class to immigrants for some reason or another, not sure, not relevant.  Anyway, a young Indian girl, for a project, ended up drawing a swastika.  Of course he was appalled immediately but then after talking with the parents, learned that in their culture it's an ancient symbol that represented peace.  However, the Nazis had co-opted it and turned it to something that is ugly and repulsive.  And that's what it represents in our culture today (and in the entire western world).  

He brought up the statutes as something similar.  Perhaps there was a time that they represented different, more historical in nature.  But over the past 20 years, they have become a rallying point for racists, culminating in what happened in C'ville.  So regardless of what they meant to represent when erected, now they mean something different, both to humans and to the extreme right.  Therefore, he concluded it's time for them to go.  Jonah Goldberg of the National Review came to a similar conclusion.  These are both very conservative writers, but not racists.  
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    JC, on the one hand you're critical of what the media pays attention to, and then you're drawing a conclusion (dems don't do much for minorities) based on what the media is putting out there. Once again, putting yourself in a contradictory position (don't listen to the media, but hey look what I found out in the media). If you want to know what Dems are doing for minorities, dig through legislation on a national and state by state level.  
  • Options
    JC, on the one hand you're critical of what the media pays attention to, and then you're drawing a conclusion (dems don't do much for minorities) based on what the media is putting out there. Once again, putting yourself in a contradictory position (don't listen to the media, but hey look what I found out in the media). If you want to know what Dems are doing for minorities, dig through legislation on a national and state by state level.  
    He has no interest in the answer.  
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the media has to do with the issues that face non whites or the Booker bill? Did I even mention the media in either post?

Obviously I'm talking national, if you need to dig thru state and local legislation than my questions are answered.
    I have looked for legislation and there is nothing, I can't find what doesn't exist.
    You see anything, remember anything that non whites thank democrats for?
    Obama had 3 months to pass whatever he wished, what was passed to help non whites? 
    Clinton, welfare reform and the crime bill come to mind. How did those help non whites?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/sen-cory-booker-introduce-bill-remove-confederate-statues-052404285--abc-news-topstories.html

Sen. Cory Booker says he plans to introduce bill to remove Confederate statues from Capitol

CAMPAIGN ADVERTISING 101
    Honest question - would the removal be Constitutional? If the answer is no, I've got an issue with it too.
    I'm not sure I follow? I was responding to JC's response of Political Campaign 101, as referenced to Booker introducing legislation to remove confederate statues from the capitol building. Without having read the bill, I'll assume it directs the Architect of the Capitol to have them removed, as the Architect is responsible for the care and upkeep as directed by the congress. Please clarify.
    Sorry, I should've been more clear. What I'm wondering is whether a statue representing a movement could be seen as 'expression'. Regardless of the disgusting nature of that movement, the statue itself does not harm people - people misconstrue its existence as freedom to act akin to the Confederate South. 

As far as JC's statement goes, I think we're in agreement, Halifax. I frankly don't give a shit whether Booker's concern about these statues are out of the goodness of his heart, or to prop up his own name: if I want to make society better by moving in a certain direction, and another person wants to move in that direction for other reasons, the outcome of betterment of society remains, no matter how disingenuous it is. That's of literally no concern to me. 
    Well you bring up an excellent question that Rob Dreher (American Conservative Magazine) addressed just recently.  I'll paraphrase... He teaches a class to immigrants for some reason or another, not sure, not relevant.  Anyway, a young Indian girl, for a project, ended up drawing a swastika.  Of course he was appalled immediately but then after talking with the parents, learned that in their culture it's an ancient symbol that represented peace.  However, the Nazis had co-opted it and turned it to something that is ugly and repulsive.  And that's what it represents in our culture today (and in the entire western world).  

He brought up the statutes as something similar.  Perhaps there was a time that they represented different, more historical in nature.  But over the past 20 years, they have become a rallying point for racists, culminating in what happened in C'ville.  So regardless of what they meant to represent when erected, now they mean something different, both to humans and to the extreme right.  Therefore, he concluded it's time for them to go.  Jonah Goldberg of the National Review came to a similar conclusion.  These are both very conservative writers, but not racists.  
    I did a bit of travelling in Southeast Asia, and know exactly what Dreher is talking about: it was initially shocking to see the swastika there as well (though I knew that it had peaceful roots).

What's interesting, though, is that originally this statue represented something historical in nature, and time has transformed its meaning. As you said, over the past 20 years it's become a rallying point for racists. But, if the statue remains up, could it come to mean something differentonce again? Perhaps it could come to represent the suppression of racially-driven ignorance, and the significance of discussing and educating not only those we agree with - but also those we vehemently disagree with?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:

CAMPAIGN ADVERTISING 101

I did a bit of travelling in Southeast Asia, and know exactly what Dreher is talking about: it was initially shocking to see the swastika there as well (though I knew that it had peaceful roots).

What's interesting, though, is that originally this statue represented something historical in nature, and time has transformed its meaning. As you said, over the past 20 years it's become a rallying point for racists. But, if the statue remains up, could it come to mean something differentonce again? Perhaps it could come to represent the suppression of racially-driven ignorance, and the significance of discussing and educating not only those we agree with - but also those we vehemently disagree with?
    It could definitely transform once again.  It is true though that the statues were generally built in the 20's.  This is the time of "Birth of a Nation" when the Klan was very powerful and this very racist movie was extremely popular.  I tend to think it's a big FU, and was intended to be as such.  
    When you go to the Holocaust Museum, it's filled with swastikas, of course and it's centered around the Third Reich.  But that is clearly historical in nature.  It's about remembering, not revering.  The confederate statues are not the same, in my mind.  
    I live in Richmond and we have a very famous street called Monument Avenue.  It is littered with massive and frankly beautiful statues of Confederate heroes, mostly generals but also of Jeff Davis, the biggest traitor of all.  They will likely be removed in the next few years and relocated to a outside museum somewhere else in the city.  
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:

CAMPAIGN ADVERTISING 101

The original intent of the statues was to convey a message of racism and segregation, and to remind blacks to 'stay in your place'. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:

CAMPAIGN ADVERTISING 101

The original intent of the statues was to convey a message of racism and segregation, and to remind blacks to 'stay in your place'. 
    For a particular class and race, those statues never changed, nor ever will, their meaning. You can go back and forth all you want but for them, the statue remains the same. An overt reminder of subjugation and oppression.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    https://action.dccc.org/free/free-stop-bigotry-sticker

I encourage everyone to get their free stop bigotry stickers. Let all the bigots know hatred is not welcomed here.

• Options
    Kamala's favorite chief foreclosurer/campaign funderer
    Hermes: pronounced er'mays
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_599b9b16e4b04c532f43dd69/amp
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    Thanks for the pronounciation lesson. Never would have gotten it without it.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    Thanks for the pronounciation lesson. Never would have gotten it without it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/posteverything/wp/2016/07/06/louise-linton-just-wrote-the-perfect-white-savior-in-africa-story/
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    challenging the true progressive ironstache is Cathy Meyers

https://cathymyersforcongress.com/
    https://ballotpedia.org/Cathy_Myers

wonder how they chose which Dem challenger got CNN facetime?
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

I love how they feel obligated to try and counter stereotypes of liberals in these things. So she was born in a truck stop and had jobs while growing up. Here this whole time I thought we libs had no work ethic and lived on handouts. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    JC29856 said:

I love how they feel obligated to try and counter stereotypes of liberals in these things. So she was born in a truck stop and had jobs while growing up. Here this whole time I thought we libs had no work ethic and lived on handouts. 
    Yeah I am always amazed at how liberals/dems are stereotyped as non working, poor, welfare grabbing, etc.  

I am in red meat Indiana and the dems I know are all relatively wealthy, hard working, very dedicated to community, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Yeah I am always amazed at how liberals/dems are stereotyped as non working, poor, welfare grabbing, etc.  

I am in red meat Indiana and the dems I know are all relatively wealthy, hard working, very dedicated to community, etc.
    I grew up in West Lafayette, which is kind of a pocket of liberalism. Most of my friends connected back there are liberal, with a fewconservative Christians who strayed. Nearly all my liberal friends are over achievers with multiple college degrees and have great careers that they've wirked hard at. My parents were liberal, and there was definately the norm with everyone I knew that you worked, and not working wasn't really an option. 
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

I grew up in West Lafayette, which is kind of a pocket of liberalism. Most of my friends connected back there are liberal, with a fewconservative Christians who strayed. Nearly all my liberal friends are over achievers with multiple college degrees and have great careers that they've wirked hard at. My parents were liberal, and there was definately the norm with everyone I knew that you worked, and not working wasn't really an option. 
    And if you are successful, you can be called a "limousine liberal".  The whole context is that if you make money and are successful, you should automatically be pro low tax rates.  Well that's not true.  You can believe in capitalism and a progressive tax system.  I have always made the argument that I am pro-capitalist, but with the clear understanding that capitalism by its very nature leaves people behind.  You can't have a capitalist society where everyone is "wealthy" compared to their peers.  It's impossible. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JC29856 said:

And if you are successful, you can be called a "limousine liberal".  The whole context is that if you make money and are successful, you should automatically be pro low tax rates.  Well that's not true.  You can believe in capitalism and a progressive tax system.  I have always made the argument that I am pro-capitalist, but with the clear understanding that capitalism by its very nature leaves people behind.  You can't have a capitalist society where everyone is "wealthy" compared to their peers.  It's impossible. 
    And the whole thing about the wealthy always being for big tax cuts was foreign to me. I was always around the thinking that taxes are part of paying into a structure and a system that has allowed you to be able to earn this wealth, and that while tax cuts along with de-regulation, may provide a short  term gain, the long term for more people to grow their wealth gets harmed since the wealth will slowly be hoarded by fewer people. 

• Options
    now what?

“The truth is, the Democrats have a pretty poor history on Civil Rights, including Nancy Pelosi’s own father who was the Mayor of Baltimore — and was one of the people who dedicated statues to Robert E. Lee and ‘Stonewall’ Jackson, and in his speech said that they defended ‘sacred institutions.’ What are those ‘sacred institutions’? One of them is slavery.”

I’ve been asked to share the details of Minority Leader Pelosi’s father and his involvement with these Confederate statues. Pelosi’s father, Baltimore Mayor Thomas D’Alesandro, Jr., spoke as the mayor at the dedication of a monument to Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson in 1948.

Read more at http://redalertpolitics.com/2017/08/22/yes-nancy-pelosis-dad-helped-dedicate-statue-robert-e-lee-stonewall-jackson/#bIQh5RqujT1A4lG9.99

• Options
    JC29856 said:
    now what?

“The truth is, the Democrats have a pretty poor history on Civil Rights, including Nancy Pelosi’s own father who was the Mayor of Baltimore — and was one of the people who dedicated statues to Robert E. Lee and ‘Stonewall’ Jackson, and in his speech said that they defended ‘sacred institutions.’ What are those ‘sacred institutions’? One of them is slavery.”

I’ve been asked to share the details of Minority Leader Pelosi’s father and his involvement with these Confederate statues. Pelosi’s father, Baltimore Mayor Thomas D’Alesandro, Jr., spoke as the mayor at the dedication of a monument to Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson in 1948.

Read more at http://redalertpolitics.com/2017/08/22/yes-nancy-pelosis-dad-helped-dedicate-statue-robert-e-lee-stonewall-jackson/#bIQh5RqujT1A4lG9.99
    Bahahahahahaha.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Someone dug really deep for today's example of 'Democrats do it, too'.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    now what?

Wow, so now we hold children responsible for their parents' mistakes.  I guess we should bring back feudalism too while we're at it.  Last time I checked, one of the important differences of our Republic is that we expressly did NOT hold children responsible for the sins of their fathers.  
  • Options
    Someone dug really deep for today's example of 'Democrats do it, too'.
    Or that because Nancy pelosi's dad was a misguided racist in 1948, the Democratic Party has a poor track record on civil rights, forgetting to mention LBJ signing civil rights legislation sent to him be a democratic controlled congress. There must be some bombshell Trump/Russia collusion news ready to break.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    JC29856 said:
    now what?

Breaking news - someone did something racist in 1948!

i wonder how many of us could confidently claim that none of their ancestors did something racist?

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    what is the generally accepted cutoff year for "someone doing something racist"? 
    curious, from what I gather it is some year after 1949. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2017
    JC29856 said:
    what is the generally accepted cutoff year for "someone doing something racist"? 
    curious, from what I gather it is some year after 1949. 
    Nice to see you holding yourself to such a high standard there, taking responsibility for all the things your ancestors did. 

And it seems to me these threads have already included a nuanced discussion, by those who can do so, about the place of events and responses in history as representarive of their time and how we can have a different response now. 

Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
  • Options
    But they failed to understand the reason why Sanders got so much small donor cash. The reason is trust.

If Democrats want small donors to join up en masse (let alone vote or volunteer for campaigns), they must earn their trust. The Democratic leadership is among the all-time greatest political failures in American history, and the Democratic Party brand remains in the toilet. Recognizing that toxic association with the despised status quo, and giving American citizens the dignity of an honest argument about how they will fix it — instead of treating them like sheep to be sheared — is a good place to begin.
    http://theweek.com/articles/720424/democrats-unexpected-money-problem