Options

Real Discussion

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Any tax plan that benefits the top 1% by more then 10x the middle class isn't exactly helping, but since most Trump supporters will notice some sort of increase that doesn't matter I guess.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    That'll all trickle down, right?
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Taxes:

According to the Tax Foundation’s Taxes and Growth Model, the plan would significantly reduce marginal tax rates and the cost of capital, which would lead to an 11 percent higher GDP over the long term provided that the tax cut could be appropriately financed.
    The plan would also lead to a 29 percent larger capital stock, 6.5 percent higher wages, and 5.3 million more full-time equivalent jobs.
    The plan would cut taxes and lead to higher after-tax incomes for taxpayers at all levels of income.

im happy with that......

Wow, you're happy you found something on the internet that confirms your previously formed belief.
    he asked me from the links above to support what those who voted for Trump liked?

who pisses in your cheerios on a daily basis? you can't seriously be this angry all the time :lol:
    I'm actually angry very little of the time. It's debating. What's funny is that people interpret my comments as angry.
    im messing with ya i actually understand your personality as most my friends respond like you, i actually appreciate it to be honest...anyway we got sidetracked there
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

Taxes:
    The plan would cut taxes and lead to higher after-tax incomes for taxpayers at all levels of income.

im happy with that......

The only reason you should be happy with that is if you're in that top 1%. No reasonable mind can argue that they should see a higher increase in after-tax income than those living below the poverty line. The appropriated percentages actually go down, down, down from higher to middle to lower classes. This is utterly backwards and is a big part of why our political system and economy are so broken. We have allowed the super-rich to stand on our heads for so long that they have LITERALLY all of the power and influence. It was probably already too late, but putting Trump in power is pretty much a nail in the casket.
    dignin said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

Well, Trump does plan to spend more money to make America's military great again. Curious to see where he pulls those funds from too. Lot's of spending, considering all those tax cuts. But he is a "successful" business man. I'm sure he can make it work.

Who has ever said that our military isn't great?! Stretched too thin? Almost certainly, but that's another issue. Under-funded? I'm not buying it.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Any tax plan that benefits the top 1% by more then 10x the middle class isn't exactly helping, but since most Trump supporters will notice some sort of increase that doesn't matter I guess.

tbergs said:

so making less than 50,000 a year and paying 10% in taxes in benefiting the top 1%?
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

so making less than 50,000 a year and paying 10% in taxes in benefiting the top 1%?
    It's be easier just to read in to more than me explain. Forbes and NPR break it down pretty well.
  • Options
    BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    In a way you do have to admit that it's some what humorous that Clinton as well as most of the other "Liberal Elites" will be given a tax cut while the disenfranchised will receive theirs in the form of a lower minimum wage, but at least they bucked the system.
  • Options
    BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    As for the other stuff

The environment is going to take a hit, no if's and's or but's about it. Hopefully other countries can overlook trump but their not going to if it gives us any advantage in the economy thus we'll all suffer (tragedy of the commons).

As for guns, something tells me that even with the secret service his thoughts about easy access might be changing with his new job.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    On the topic of military spending.

President Trump Is Likely To Boost U.S. Military Spending By $500 Billion To $1 Trillion

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charlestiefer/2016/11/09/president-trump-is-likely-to-boost-u-s-military-spending-by-500-billion-to-1-trillion/#40305a564108
  • Options
    tbergs said:

pjalive21 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

It's be easier just to read in to more than me explain. Forbes and NPR break it down pretty well.
    Forbes did a great job i will agree with you there...there are some red flags in his tax proposal
  • Options
    By what standard is the US military not great?
  • Options
    The military needs to be shrunk significantly, not expanded.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

The US military could beat anyone in the world if the press stayed out of it and just let the military do their job. Historians have theorized that if the current day press was the same in the 1940's the u.s. might have lost ww2.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    That pesky press playing that role necessary in a free society.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

We finally agree on something...miracles
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

The US military could beat anyone in the world if the press stayed out of it and just let the military do their job. Historians have theorized that if the current day press was the same in the 1940's the u.s. might have lost ww2.
    I don't believe that for a second.
    Monitoring resources and troop movements is war 101, do you really buy that Trump line of logic that ISIS wouldn't have known we were attacking Mosul if the press wasn't involved? That seems pretty naive.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

How is America going to fund THE WALL? I'm interested in concrete answers.

put it in the national security/military budget and build the damn thing

pay for it with Monopoly money
    An Engineer Explains Why Trump’s Wall Is So Implausible
    Twelve million, six hundred thousand cubic yards. In other words, this wall would contain over three times the amount of concrete used to build the Hoover Dam — a project that, unlike Trump’s wall, has qualitative, verifiable economic benefits.
    Such a wall would be greater in volume than all six pyramids of the Giza Necropolis — and it is unlikely that a concrete slab in the town of Dead Dog Valley, Texas would inspire the same timeless sense of wonder.
    That quantity of concrete could pave a one-lane road from New York to Los Angeles, going the long way around the Earth, which would probably be just as useful.
    Concrete, of course, requires reinforcing steel (or rebar). A reasonable estimate for the amount of rebar would be about 3 percent of the total wall size, resulting in a steel volume of 10,190,000 cubic feet, or about 5 billion pounds. We could melt down 4 of our Nimitz-class aircraft carriers and would probably be a few cruisers short of having enough steel.

167,272,000 cubic yards of cast-in-place concrete at $93/cubic yard = $15,556,296,000
    1,030,000 segments of 10’ pre-cast panels at $17/panel = $17,510,000
    2,500,000 tons of steel rebar at $600/ton = $1,500,000,000
    Total Material Cost Estimate: $17,073,806,000

$17 billion is roughly NASA's yearly operating budget. And let’s take a reality check for a moment: this is only a rough materials costs for the project. This doesn't take into account the cost of labor or machinery, not to mention the millions of dollars it would cost for design work, surveying, and land acquisition.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The people who voted for Trump or Clinton have little in common with either. And much more in common with each other. We must remember that.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

Twelve million, six hundred thousand cubic yards. In other words, this wall would contain over three times the amount of concrete used to build the Hoover Dam — a project that, unlike Trump’s wall, has qualitative, verifiable economic benefits.
    Such a wall would be greater in volume than all six pyramids of the Giza Necropolis — and it is unlikely that a concrete slab in the town of Dead Dog Valley, Texas would inspire the same timeless sense of wonder.
    That quantity of concrete could pave a one-lane road from New York to Los Angeles, going the long way around the Earth, which would probably be just as useful.
    Concrete, of course, requires reinforcing steel (or rebar). A reasonable estimate for the amount of rebar would be about 3 percent of the total wall size, resulting in a steel volume of 10,190,000 cubic feet, or about 5 billion pounds. We could melt down 4 of our Nimitz-class aircraft carriers and would probably be a few cruisers short of having enough steel.

167,272,000 cubic yards of cast-in-place concrete at $93/cubic yard = $15,556,296,000

$17 billion is roughly NASA's yearly operating budget. And let’s take a reality check for a moment: this is only a rough materials costs for the project. This doesn't take into account the cost of labor or machinery, not to mention the millions of dollars it would cost for design work, surveying, and land acquisition.
    Great info I can't wait till his base realizes that he sold them a dream world that will not be realized!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

60million voted for a wall! Hehehe....Hilliary lost to a wall. lmfao!
  • Options

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

Great info I can't wait till his base realizes that he sold them a dream world that will not be realized!
    Hilliary lost to a pipe dream! Lmfao!
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

You live in the USA, right? What is so funny about any of this?
  • Options
    tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

It's funny because President-elect Trump decided to run when he knew the war of minds could not be matched.
    President-elect Trump treated Hillary as equally as his republican opponents during his campaign - he called them all losers.
    The dream that won't be fulfilled is the one the liberals wished came true.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

Government too.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Government too.
    Shrinking the military would be shrinking the government.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

PP193448 said:

Government too.
    Shrinking the military would be shrinking the government.
    Yes, but that's just one facet.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    dignin said:

you said it right there

concrete
  • Options

For the thinkers who are willing to try to leave the anger out of this, maybe do some reading, and answer me one question...

How is any of this GOOD for our country or our world in 2017 and beyond?

Taxes
    Trump’s tax policy proposes very conservative cuts for middle and lower classes (all less than 10%) to reduce revenue/debt over a 10-year period, but boasts a 10.2% rise in after tax income for the populace “overall”. This is because he boasts significantly greater gains for the top 10% (14.6%) and even more for the top 1% (21.6%). Despite this, the people who stand to gain the least from his tax policy still voted for him.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/details-and-analysis-donald-trump-s-tax-plan

Climate Change
    This is some of the best evidence available in climate change study all thrown into a single article. Trump and his newly appointed EPA-transition advisor are laughing in the face of the best available science and data.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/irrefutable-signs-climate-change-is-real-2016-11?r=UK&IR=T/#in-2013-co2-levels-in-the-air-surpassed-400-parts-per-million-ppm-the-highest-in-human-history-5

This one is included, but is particularly disturbing. http://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/
    You can argue that the temperature change overall might yet be within a normal variance, but the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are off the charts since the mid 20th century.

He also has a similar take on vaccinations, suggesting that they cause Autism. This has also been debunked by the best available research.

Gun Control
    Trump's proposals will make it quicker and easier for people to buy guns, including assault weapons that are especially deadly in mass casualty shootings. He also proposes that we lift gun-restricted zones at public places, including hospitals, libraries and schools.

http://theconversation.com/guns-in-donald-trumps-america-63987

Again - what am I missing?

Obviously, there are other issues, but if we're going to keep this conversation going, we might as well be civil and tackle them one at a time. Otherwise, what's the point?

Still waiting. Anyone who voted in support of these policies willing/able to defend theme here and now?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

dignin said:

It's funny because President-elect Trump decided to run when he knew the war of minds could not be matched.
    President-elect Trump treated Hillary as equally as his republican opponents during his campaign - he called them all losers.
    The dream that won't be fulfilled is the one the liberals wished came true.
    Wrong I'm ok with Bafoon as president he sold the uneducated a dream wall that will never be and jobs that won't be coming back to bumhick Indiana .. the last laugh will be on his base ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited November 2016

emails. that's why this guy is president.

It is proven a fact that Hillarys camp sabotaged and rigged the primaries. Bernie would have crushed Donald...

The emails were a reason too.
    I really have no idea if Bernie would have crushed Trump, but I personally doubt it. It seems to me that Americans are really freaked out by socialism. Like, McCarthy levels of freaked out by it, in a lot of cases. They think it is "anti-American". Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe Bernie would have squeaked by... but we will never know. I don't think it's something anyone should really be declaring with confidence.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata