Options

So, What Comes Now?

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    JC29856 said:

mickeyrat said:

what comes now should be extensive polling to find out the various reasons 43% of the eligible voting population chose not to then do the necessary work to correct that abysmal turnout %.

Corrections can start with the candidates selected by the DNC and RNC
    Turnout won't be where it should be unless you eliminate 2 party systems where you are forced to pick whoever they tell you to or a third party who you're told is a waste. How motivating.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    There are plans for a Million Women March in January in DC. I'm across the street from DC, so I expect to be there.

Also, I usually donate to health charities, e.g., Doctors without Borders or the hospital where I am seen, but today I finally donated to politics-oriented organizations: ACLU, League of Women Voters, and the National Women's Law Center. The donations are monthly so I don't have to think about it. Maybe this action is all that I will do over the next four years, or maybe it is the beginning.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Ms. Haiku said:

There are plans for a Million Women March in January in DC. I'm across the street from DC, so I expect to be there.

Also, I usually donate to health charities, e.g., Doctors without Borders or the hospital where I am seen, but today I finally donated to politics-oriented organizations: ACLU, League of Women Voters, and the National Women's Law Center. The donations are monthly so I don't have to think about it. Maybe this action is all that I will do over the next four years, or maybe it is the beginning.

Talk about a great marketing opportunity to sponcer this march for Kleenex....
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Talk about a great marketing opportunity to sponcer this march for Kleenex....

I was thinking Swiss Army luggage, Expedia, AirBnB . . . people have to get there first.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Ms. Haiku said:

Doctors Without Borders will be an awesome title for Trump to use when he presents his new healthcare plan unlike the crap that was Obamacare
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
    And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.
    And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.
    And there went out another horse [that was] red: and [power] was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.
    And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a denarius, and three measures of barley for a denarius; and [see] thou hurt not the oil and the wine.
    And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
    And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
    And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
    And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they [were], should be fulfilled.
    And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
    And the stars of the heavens fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
    And the heavens departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
    And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
    And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
    For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
    And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
    And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.
    And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer [it] with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
    And the smoke of the incense, [which came] with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.
    And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast [it] into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.
    And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    mickeyrat said:

what comes now should be extensive polling to find out the various reasons 43% of the eligible voting population chose not to then do the necessary work to correct that abysmal turnout %.

JC29856 said:

The most unpopular candidates in US history just may be the biggest reason to not vote.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

mickeyrat said:

Turnout won't be where it should be unless you eliminate 2 party systems where you are forced to pick whoever they tell you to or a third party who you're told is a waste. How motivating.
    This, too!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    My sister sent me it, hysterical. However, I do wonder if (and why if it's true they vote Dec 20) the EC can reverse it. Anyone know?
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    pjalive21 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Doctors Without Borders will be an awesome title for Trump to use when he presents his new healthcare plan unlike the crap that was Obamacare
    But it would be so unlike trump to steal something!
    You know trump want to ditch the mandate to have insurance but keep the part where you can't be denied coverage for a pre-existing condition. Get sick Tuesday, buy insurance Wednesday! That'll sure keep costs down and be so much better than the current crap.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Free said:

My sister sent me it, hysterical. However, I do wonder if (and why if it's true they vote Dec 20) the EC can reverse it. Anyone know?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH and yes it is technically possible.

Won't happen, though, but it is technically possible. Clinton has already conceded, and there would have to be a very large number of electors going along with it. Historically a small number of electors have indeed voted differently rather than rubber-stamped, but not a large enough margin to make a difference.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Free said:

Are you not reading the EC thread? http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/261760/end-the-electoral-college#latest
    What a bunch of bologna. The American election process is from another planet.
    That’s due to happen on 12 December, at meetings in each state where all Republican or Democrat representatives – depending on how each state voted – will cast their vote. And it will almost certainly go one way, with most of the electors casting their ballots for Donald Trump and making him President
    But that could, theoretically, not happen. Members of the electoral college could potentially change their mind – becoming what is known as a “faithless elector” – and so cast their ballot for somebody else, or not at all.
    The phenomenon of the faithless voter is giving people hope that perhaps Donald Trump won’t actually become the President of the US. It’s almost impossible that it would make any difference, but it does show that Donald Trump’s path to presidency might not be simple.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Free said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH and yes it is technically possible.

Won't happen, though, but it is technically possible. Clinton has already conceded, and there would have to be a very large number of electors going along with it. Historically a small number of electors have indeed voted differently rather than rubber-stamped, but not a large enough margin to make a difference.
    Yup. Very unlikely. There is a Washington State Democratic elector that is trying to convince Republican electors to change their votes, but even he admits it isn't going to happen. Wash. elector asks Republican electors to 'vote their conscience'
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    JC29856 said:

mickeyrat said:

the primaries participation rate is even lower.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I attended a solidarity meeting created by my city to support people who feel disenfranchised, and to be more aware of opportunities that people can sign up for. It was a good turn out especially since the meeting was developed in the past couple days. Thank goodness for Facebook. It was a beautiful night with a bright quarter-esque moon. I haven't been this involved for over 20 years.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I attended a solidarity meeting created by my city to support people who feel disenfranchised, and to be more aware of opportunities that people can sign up for. It was a good turn out especially since the meeting was developed in the past couple days. Thank goodness for Facebook. It was a beautiful night with a bright quarter-esque moon. I haven't been this involved for over 20 years.

So what did you sign up for?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    .Farewell, America
    No matter how the rest of the world looked at us on Nov. 7, they will now look at us differently.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/11/10/farewell-america
    We all knew these hatreds lurked under the thinnest veneer of civility. That civility finally is gone.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Free said:

.Farewell, America
    No matter how the rest of the world looked at us on Nov. 7, they will now look at us differently.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/11/10/farewell-america

Damn, that makes me sad.
    If only there was someone that could have beaten him that the world would respect...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Yeah, Bernie.
  • Options

Ms. Haiku said:

So what did you sign up for?
    I put my email on a list, and from there I'll be notified of activities to help out. I don't know the activities, yet. Maybe I'll volunteer at something to help out.
  • Options
    Here's my two cents:

Forget the US for a second. Despite this embarrassing turn of events... look at Eastern Europe.

Trump has cozied up to Russia. Russia has ambitions.

Hmmm.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242

Here's my two cents:

Forget the US for a second. Despite this embarrassing turn of events... look at Eastern Europe.

Trump has cozied up to Russia. Russia has ambitions.

Hmmm.

I think a lot of dictators are looking at this as an opportunity to pull one over on the Trumpster. We'll be a target for the next 4 years. Hopefully the people around him can keep things in check. No texting Vlad at 3am please!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    3000 DC public school protesters marching near Washington Monument and Supreme Court

Girls: My Body My Choice
    Boys: Her body Her Choice

It's exciting that people who can't vote are still engaged. I was not an engaged high schooler. I just wanted to get into college.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539

So, what comes now ?
    America begins it's journey to heal its wounds suffered over the last 8 years, I will admit that some things the obama admin. were good but there were also so many bad things that he created as well and the current and past riots are a reflection of that, I don't recall any republican riots in the streets when he was elected, do you ?

Godfather.

Looks like GF never did come to terms with the fact that Obama didn't warrant the kind of dismay and anger that Trump warrants.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    mickeyrat said:

Mandatory voting would fix that immediately. I'm for it. I wish Canada had it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Ms. Haiku said:

My wife is def going to go down there for this !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

Mandatory voting would fix that immediately. I'm for it. I wish Canada had it.
    I am for mandatory voting too and that would be a solution.
    Extensive polling would do nothing as polls don't mean jack.