Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    riley540 said:

riley540 said:

Sarava said:

riley540 said:

"Many Trump voters are blatantly racist"

Generalizing people based on a vote that you arent completely sure what swayed them to vote that way is just ridiculous. Sure the man himself has a lot of screws loose, but you cant act like you know that "many" are just simply racist because of one election. And it works both ways with the generalizing and making assumptions, Dem and Rep

I used 'many' because it's true but it leaves the actual number up to whomever reads it. You must think the number of racist trump voters is pretty small.
    I voted for neither candidate, but this comment is based off of zero facts or information, and based more so on news head lines. Not one person I know who voted for trump is a racist.
    It's around 50% of trump voters hold racist views toward blacks. Others may say they don't have racist beliefs, but they may think something like 'This whole equality thing has gone a little too far', and maybe we should make America great again, you know, when blacks knew their place, etc...
    fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/USA-ELECTION-RACE/010020H7174/USA-ELECTION-RACE.jpg
    You'd think after the presidential polls failed so badly, people would learn not to cite polls as if they are facts.
    The polls were only off base in about four swing states states. The national polls were accurate. And an election survey, predicting future behavior is a different kind of poll than measuring a current, existing attitude. They think the errors in the election surveys was in how they determined whether someone was going to be a likely voter or not. So that's not an issue in this survey. Regardless, do you thing there's more racist trump voters than there are Clinton voters?
    Polls are generally pretty wack, especially from a .com site. The one that I saw "blacks being more violent." Can sadly be proven by years of statistics. 93% of black homicides were cause by other blacks between 1980 and 2010. And 52% of violent crime in general was commuted by black people in that same time frame. It's sad, and statistics can be wrong, but most people go to polls and statistics for information.........

Maybe you missed the point of the graphic showing trump voters believing those things at a much higher rate than people who voted for Clinton.
    People who voted for Clinton also thought they were voting for a good candidate. Baffles me how either of them got a single vote. Never the less, I believe shitty people and good people voted both democrat and republican.
    And more shitty people gravitated to trump.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998

Sarava said:

riley540 said:

Generalizing people based on a vote that you arent completely sure what swayed them to vote that way is just ridiculous. Sure the man himself has a lot of screws loose, but you cant act like you know that "many" are just simply racist because of one election. And it works both ways with the generalizing and making assumptions, Dem and Rep

I used 'many' because it's true but it leaves the actual number up to whomever reads it. You must think the number of racist trump voters is pretty small.
    I voted for neither candidate, but this comment is based off of zero facts or information, and based more so on news head lines. Not one person I know who voted for trump is a racist.
    It's around 50% of trump voters hold racist views toward blacks. Others may say they don't have racist beliefs, but they may think something like 'This whole equality thing has gone a little too far', and maybe we should make America great again, you know, when blacks knew their place, etc...
    fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/USA-ELECTION-RACE/010020H7174/USA-ELECTION-RACE.jpg
    You'd think after the presidential polls failed so badly, people would learn not to cite polls as if they are facts.
    The polls were only off base in about four swing states states. The national polls were accurate. And an election survey, predicting future behavior is a different kind of poll than measuring a current, existing attitude. They think the errors in the election surveys was in how they determined whether someone was going to be a likely voter or not. So that's not an issue in this survey. Regardless, do you thing there's more racist trump voters than there are Clinton voters?
    Racist towards black people, yes. Now keep in mind, isn't it thought to be around 90% of african americans supported Hillary? That right there skews the results. Just like if you flipped the questions and asked which group held negative/racist views towards white people, Hillary voters would score higher.

None of this really says anything to me. Especially given how old your poll is and how few voters it's based off of.

Now, I can tell you as a white suburban male, who works with mostly white suburban males...I was surprised how openly supportive of Trump most of my co-workers were (the ones who would discuss politics of course). The issues I kept hearing about from them weren't about race or building walls, but were about the stagnant economy, the declining standard of living of the middle class, the horrendous increases in healthcare costs since Obamacare, etc. And I live in one of the states that she won among the easiest.
  • Options
    Sarava said:

Sarava said:

riley540 said:

Racist towards black people, yes. Now keep in mind, isn't it thought to be around 90% of african americans supported Hillary? That right there skews the results. Just like if you flipped the questions and asked which group held negative/racist views towards white people, Hillary voters would score higher.

None of this really says anything to me. Especially given how old your poll is and how few voters it's based off of.

Now, I can tell you as a white suburban male, who works with mostly white suburban males...I was surprised how openly supportive of Trump most of my co-workers were (the ones who would discuss politics of course). The issues I kept hearing about from them weren't about race or building walls, but were about the stagnant economy, the declining standard of living of the middle class, the horrendous increases in healthcare costs since Obamacare, etc. And I live in one of the states that she won among the easiest.
    If you flipped the question you wouldn't see the same results. All the data support that trump voter hold bigoted beliefs at a higher rate. Really the question is why do so many trump voters resist this notion?

And your anecdotal evidence of suburban white voters supporting trump also aligns with the data that says a lot of his support came from whites segregated from people who are different culturally and racially. Basically, the more segregated someone is, the more likely they are to hold prejudicial beliefs.
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    While we talk..MAGA
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    Noload said:

While we talk..MAGA

Ironic, huh? As trump does his best to take us backward.
  • Options
    nycmalenycmale Posts: 199
    edited January 2017
    What's an Effin disaster is its almost 4 years since the last album and still no news in sight about anything new coming out this year. Not even a single. Not to mention the last 2 albums were mediocre at best. I love pearl jam but musIc wise the past 8 years have been a disaster
    Post edited by nycmale on
  • Options
    Do a cover of Jesus of Suburbia for the record guys.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    HollandHolland Posts: 73
    nycmale said:

What's an Effin disaster is its almost 4 years since the last album and still no news in sight about anything new coming out this year. Not even a single. Not to mention the last 2 albums were mediocre at best. I love pearl jam but musIc wise the past 8 years have been a disaster

Unthought Known, Force of Nature, Got Some, Getaway, Mind Your Manners, LB, Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon are all great songs imo and make the albums far from a disaster. I do think the overall quality and number of strong songs on the last 2 albums is definitely not as high as their previous work.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

Noload said:

While we talk..MAGA

I honestly can't believe he did it. I really, really wanted to be proven wrong on Trump. But what he did this afternoon is literally the most un-American act of my lifetime. More so than the Iraq war. Fuck this guy.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231

Noload said:

While we talk..MAGA

I honestly can't believe he did it. I really, really wanted to be proven wrong on Trump. But what he did this afternoon is literally the most un-American act of my lifetime. More so than the Iraq war. Fuck this guy.
    The problem is, you can pretty much use that statement for the last 7 days and it just keeps piling on.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited January 2017
    You can't be neutral on a moving train...

I need to be smacked in the face with a great album. Enough of this Fixer bullshit, more Mind Your Manners
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    my2hands said:

I need to be smacked in the face with a great album. Enough of this Fixer bullshit, more Mind Your Manners

Amen..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    my2hands said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    my2hands said:

Yes.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 116
    The anger is pulsating in me. I really need new music from this band, hell, any band, that reflects my mood. This is beyond outrageous. Serpent's eggs already hatched. Impeach.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Karts said:

The anger is pulsating in me. I really need new music from this band, hell, any band, that reflects my mood. This is beyond outrageous. Serpent's eggs already hatched. Impeach.

Nine Inch Nails have a new EP and I believe Trent hinted towards 2 more full-length albums this year.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Karts said:

It's funny, I've been pulling out all my old standard angry rock the last few days that I haven't been interested in for a long time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    I would to hear a return of Rage Against the Machine
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,231
    VOLARE said:

I would to hear a return of Rage Against the Machine

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,231
    Stixum said:

I don't disagree - while many, many, many of his comments are ignorant and hurtful (I'm labeling the words, not the man), the best way to combat ignorance, literally, is with intellect and facts. Yelling and name-calling solves little.

That being said, I'm heartbroken that we've elected a candidate with these ideas to lead our country. Climate change isn't a partisan issue; the EPA was founded by a Republican. Believing in human rights doesn't require party affiliation. I didn't initially vote for President Obama either, but I've come around; the metrics are compelling, and I respect the man and appreciate how he represented us.

Arguing about vein issues like crowd sizes and openly denying facts won't bring back jobs that have been lost to automation. Building a wall probably won't help anyone other than the contractors hired to build it, especially when the data show that the unauthorized population has been shrinking (read: more people are leaving than entering) since before President Obama took office. It does, however, serve as a physical manifestation of anger at structural unemployment (in addition to acting as a proxy for horribly racists ideas). Cutting humanitarian aid doesn't heal anyone. Putting scientific research under a gag order isn't going to further us as a people. Raising taxes on lower-wage single parents (by eliminating exemptions) doesn't help the common man that elected him.

As much as I admire your post, I am not so sure that facts will convince anyone, not when 45's minions are introducing phrases like "alternative facts" into the mainstream. I suspect that, to change minds, things will need to get worse before they get better. I seem to recall that, in 2009, some people were pretty agitated when, three months after Obama took office, the recession still wasn't over. It's possible that people will be swayed when steel mill and coal jobs don't return by Memorial Day; it's also entirely possible that they will continue to just not care about facts. I don't know how you address that.

But torture is a moral issue, not a political one, and climate change affects everyone ("Science doesn't care if you believe in it or not."), and it sure is feeling lonely here in the middle -- no doubt about that.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    StixumStixum Chicago, IL Posts: 32

But torture is a moral issue, not a political one, and climate change affects everyone ("Science doesn't care if you believe in it or not."), and it sure is feeling lonely here in the middle -- no doubt about that.

It sure does. #RESIST
    2009 - Chicago
    2010 - NY 2
    2012 - Music Midtown
    2013 - Charlotte, LA 1, LA 2, Wrigley
    2014 - St Louis, ACL Fest 2
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Columbia, Ottawa, Toronto, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, San Fran 2 (TOTD), LA (TOTD)
    2017 - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018 - London 1, London 2, Padova, Seattle 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2021 - Ohana 1
    2022 - Las Vegas, Nashville, St. Louis
    2023 - St. Paul 1, St. Paul 2, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Noblesville
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    tbergs said:

Karts said:

It's funny, I've been pulling out all my old standard angry rock the last few days that I haven't been interested in for a long time.
    same here.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Would love a concept album. Take "Unemployable" and make a whole record off that premise.
    E. Rutherford I (6/1/06), Lollapalooza (8/5/07), Washington DC (6/22/08), MSG II (6/25/08), MSG II (6/21/10), Brooklyn II (10/19/13), MSG II (5/2/16), Wrigley I (8/20/16), TOTD MSG (11/7/16)
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829

^^^^^ Well said!
    Things are gettin' pretty scary around here. :-(