Options

Election night 2016

Comments

• Options

The comedy in this is rich.

Everywhere I look, people who voted for Trump are not celebrating as much as they are experiencing voter's remorse.
    Classic.
    The orange turnip narcissistic white collar criminal who sidelines as a sexual predator just got to be president of the United States by promising morons he'd make their wildest dreams come true.
    Laughing my ass off.

Really?
    I don't see that at all anywhere except for here.
    In fact it is just another day in the world.
    Has Trump nuked someone yet?
    Didn't think so.
    I see you qualified that with "yet". Says a lot.
    That was for the non-Trump supporters.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Even though I didn't care for Clinton ....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ilcRS5eUpwk
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    MayDay10 said:

Nobody to blame but the DNC.

Without crowbarring the Clinton machine to the front of the line, where nobody wanted her... We could be enthusiastically celebrating Bernie Sanders, as well as Congress going Blue.

DING DING DING we have a winner. This is spot on, and really the ONLY reason why Trump won. Bernie would have crushed Trump...hell even I would have voted Bernie over Trump, because there was no doubt where that man stood. The enthusiasm for Clinton was luke warm at best. It was over before it really started.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

another day in Paradise here in America. you canadians have to stop living in fear. The Don will probably let you keep your country.

Its not fear. Its embarrassment fr you. And pride in ourselves knowing this woukd never happen in our country.
    keep telling yourself that. the only scared people ive encountered today are the canadians on this forum.

just stay on that hind tit and know your role.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    I hope for the best but am scared and sad. I hope he can prove me wrong, but am not hopeful that he will
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

I hope for the best but am scared and sad. I hope he can prove me wrong, but am not hopeful that he will

Nothing we could do right now about this. Just accept the vote of the people and wait.

What everyone can do is stay politically educated, active, and vote every single election. Hold those in office to task... both locally, state, and Nationally. What happens in the next 4 years means nothing if more and more Americans can pull their heads out of their ass.

Voting for Trump to "Drain the Swamp", etc isn't necessarily a bad take.... but when you go and fill in all those neat circles next to Republican names... it kind of defeats the purpose and is hypocritical. And that goes for those blind Hillary supporters too.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    MayDay10 said:

Nothing we could do right now about this. Just accept the vote of the people and wait.

What everyone can do is stay politically educated, active, and vote every single election. Hold those in office to task... both locally, state, and Nationally. What happens in the next 4 years means nothing if more and more Americans can pull their heads out of their ass.

Voting for Trump to "Drain the Swamp", etc isn't necessarily a bad take.... but when you go and fill in all those neat circles next to Republican names... it kind of defeats the purpose and is hypocritical. And that goes for those blind Hillary supporters too.
    Yep, power needs to be balanced and it's not.

http://ritholtz.com/2016/11/miss-me-no/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

another day in Paradise here in America. you canadians have to stop living in fear. The Don will probably let you keep your country.

Its not fear. Its embarrassment fr you. And pride in ourselves knowing this woukd never happen in our country.
    keep telling yourself that. the only scared people ive encountered today are the canadians on this forum.

And what would canada's role be?

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Yep. I know.
  • Options
    Yeah, here I am preaching to the choir. Just venting
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    what are you all scared of?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    mcgruff10 said:

their shadows.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    mcgruff10 said:

Unknown...trump is a wild man
    But I'm not scared
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, to start, Trump wants to abolish all or most of the EPA. For one, it will further contaminate our air, land, and drinking water.... second, it would very likely leave my family's bread-winner unemployed.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    JC29856 said:

mcgruff10 said:

But I'm not scared
    I was more scared in 04 after W won a second term. Trump doesn't really worry me. It s local/county and state politics that will directly effect me and my family.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    MayDay10 said:

Bolded part.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Mike Pence. Trump being entirely unprepared. Trump having no policy. Paul Ryan's power. Social progress being rolled back. Reproductive rights being infringed. The climate. Coal. Economic uncertainty. War.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

JC29856 said:

mcgruff10 said:

But I'm not scared
    I was more scared in 04 after W won a second term. Trump doesn't really worry me. It s local/county and state politics that will directly effect me and my family.
    2 things
    Trump has zero political experience, so I'm baffled as to how anyone can predict a trump presidency. If you tell me that you can predict based on what he said, I'll tell you 10 things Obama Bush said to their 1 actually doing.

Fear and consumption!
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

mcgruff10 said:

Mike Pence. Trump being entirely unprepared. Trump having no policy. Paul Ryan's power. Social progress being rolled back. Reproductive rights being infringed. The climate. Coal. Economic uncertainty. War.
    It's why Trump never really seemed all that interested in being a real leader of the US.
  • Options

I'm not scared. I'm amused.

And make sure you know your role- stay fat. Oh... and stupid too. F**king retard.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

It's why Trump never really seemed all that interested in being a real leader of the US.
    Yeah, and now he is...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I woke up yesterday morning fully expecting (like most) that HRC would have an early victory speech. I had conversations throughout the day about the election. And even though I had planned to vote Trump my conversations were the same.
    I am tired of the presidential office being a joke. For the last 20 years (maybe longer, but 20 years ago is when I was old enough to care) the office has been a joke. Making fun of the way the president looks, talks, his accent, late night shows making fun of the president's physical appearance all has become common. Even if I don't respect who is elected I want to respect the office.
    Anticipating a win for Clinton I shared that the many reasons for not voting for her wont matter once she becomes my president. That I hope she becomes the greatest president of my generation because that is what this country needs. If and until she does something while president that deems her unworthy to be my president, she will have my respect and support.
    early in the evening I was surprised when he had a slight lead, then he took some big states. When he took Ohio I thought he might actually have this. I don't have "voter's remorse," I think he was the better choice when considering all the flaws of both candidates.
    But I really hate the outrage. He has barely been elected just a few hours and he's already labeled the worst president in history-he's not even president yet. I hate if you don't agree with someone on immigration laws, marriage laws, bathroom laws, abortion laws you are automatically labeled as a hater instead of asking why they have those views. And now if I don't vote for your candidate I am a hater as well. I hate how those who voted for him are labeled as sexist, racist, homophobic, and just about everything else.
    It's not always about hate. I don't agree with everything he says and does, but I think he was the better choice. If you want to know specifics read the thousands of posts in the previous weeks, no need to kick a candidate when she's down, and half of the country agrees that he will make a better president.
    Lets hope he surprises us all and America is better 4 years from now.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,962
    mace1229 said:

I woke up yesterday morning fully expecting (like most) that HRC would have an early victory speech. I had conversations throughout the day about the election. And even though I had planned to vote Trump my conversations were the same.
    I am tired of the presidential office being a joke. For the last 20 years (maybe longer, but 20 years ago is when I was old enough to care) the office has been a joke. Making fun of the way the president looks, talks, his accent, late night shows making fun of the president's physical appearance all has become common. Even if I don't respect who is elected I want to respect the office.
    Anticipating a win for Clinton I shared that the many reasons for not voting for her wont matter once she becomes my president. That I hope she becomes the greatest president of my generation because that is what this country needs. If and until she does something while president that deems her unworthy to be my president, she will have my respect and support.
    early in the evening I was surprised when he had a slight lead, then he took some big states. When he took Ohio I thought he might actually have this. I don't have "voter's remorse," I think he was the better choice when considering all the flaws of both candidates.
    But I really hate the outrage. He has barely been elected just a few hours and he's already labeled the worst president in history-he's not even president yet. I hate if you don't agree with someone on immigration laws, marriage laws, bathroom laws, abortion laws you are automatically labeled as a hater instead of asking why they have those views. And now if I don't vote for your candidate I am a hater as well. I hate how those who voted for him are labeled as sexist, racist, homophobic, and just about everything else.
    It's not always about hate. I don't agree with everything he says and does, but I think he was the better choice. If you want to know specifics read the thousands of posts in the previous weeks, no need to kick a candidate when she's down, and half of the country agrees that he will make a better president.

You are tired of the office being a joke and you voted for Trump? That's hilarious on so many levels.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    "Let's hope he surprises us!"

Hahahahhaha
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mace1229 said:

I agree that there's been too much immediate condemnation of voters prior to understanding rationale. Not all Trump voters are sexist, racist, homophobic: it just happens to be that the sexist, racist, homophobic people have safe refuge within the Trump umbrella by his ambiguously designed words that could easily describe white, male supremacy.

I also agree that Clinton was a terrible candidate - I just really thought that his attitude on critical progressive topics were too regressive, and thus hoped that people would agree about a lesser of two evils. It's a bummer being wrong on such a huge topic, but I truly hope that Trump can surprise us all for the better - being a unifier in progressive directions, rather than a divider in fear-driven directions.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Clinton suffered her biggest losses in the places where Obama was strongest among white voters. It's not a simple racism story.
    Nate Cohn NYT
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    benjs said:

mace1229 said:

I agree that there's been too much immediate condemnation of voters prior to understanding rationale. Not all Trump voters are sexist, racist, homophobic: it just happens to be that the sexist, racist, homophobic people have safe refuge within the Trump umbrella by his ambiguously designed words that could easily describe white, male supremacy.

I also agree that Clinton was a terrible candidate - I just really thought that his attitude on critical progressive topics were too regressive, and thus hoped that people would agree about a lesser of two evils. It's a bummer being wrong on such a huge topic, but I truly hope that Trump can surprise us all for the better - being a unifier in progressive directions, rather than a divider in fear-driven directions.
    There needs to be a bit of a soul searching on how bad of a candidate she was. She was for the most part annointed and really didn't have anything to offer. I am no fan of Bernie but he probably would have performed better...at a minimum he could have offered some degree of "change" and he would have had zero ethical issues to defend. Her praise of TPP as the "gold standard" killed her in those rust belt areas. People should have recognized this when she lost Michigan to Bernie in the primaries.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    mcgruff10 said:

spiders, for sure
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,962
    BS44325 said:

benjs said:

mace1229 said:

There needs to be a bit of a soul searching on how bad of a candidate she was. She was for the most part annointed and really didn't have anything to offer. I am no fan of Bernie but he probably would have performed better...at a minimum he could have offered some degree of "change" and he would have had zero ethical issues to defend. Her praise of TPP as the "gold standard" killed her in those rust belt areas. People should have recognized this when she lost Michigan to Bernie in the primaries.
    Hard to say. The GOP would have attacked him as a "socialist" and it would have stuck with the morons that elected Trump.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville