Options

Should everyone vote?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
I'm not familiar with this guy because I don't watch TV very often but my daughter in law read this FB message from Mike Rowe and I found it thought provoking and worthy of consideration:

Off The Wall

Jeremy Schneider writes...

Hey Mike, I have nothing but respect for you. Your no-nonsense outlook and incredible eloquence have really had a profound impact in my life. Can you please encourage your huge following to go out and vote this election? I would never impose on you by asking you to advocate one politician over another, but I do feel this election could really use your help. I know that there are many people out there who feel like there is nothing they can do. Please try to use your gifts to make them see that they can do something - that their vote counts.

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I also share your concern for our country, and agree wholeheartedly that every vote counts. However, I’m afraid I can’t encourage millions of people whom I’ve never met to just run out and cast a ballot, simply because they have the right to vote. That would be like encouraging everyone to buy an AR-15, simply because they have the right to bear arms. I would need to know a few things about them before offering that kind of encouragement. For instance, do they know how to care for a weapon? Can they afford the cost of the weapon? Do they have a history of violence? Are they mentally stable? In short, are they responsible citizens?

Casting a ballot is not so different. It’s an important right that we all share, and one that impacts our society in dramatic fashion. But it’s one thing to respect and acknowledge our collective rights, and quite another thing to affirmatively encourage people I've never met to exercise them. And yet, my friends in Hollywood do that very thing, and they're at it again.

Every four years, celebrities and movie stars look earnestly into the camera and tell the country to “get out and vote.” They tell us it’s our “most important civic duty,” and they speak as if the very act of casting a ballot is more important than the outcome of the election. This strikes me as somewhat hysterical. Does anyone actually believe that Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen DeGeneres, and Ed Norton would encourage the “masses” to vote, if they believed the “masses” would elect Donald Trump?

Regardless of their political agenda, my celebrity pals are fundamentally mistaken about our “civic duty” to vote. There is simply no such thing. Voting is a right, not a duty, and not a moral obligation. Like all rights, the right to vote comes with some responsibilities, but lets face it - the bar is not set very high. If you believe aliens from another planet walk among us, you are welcome at the polls. If you believe the world is flat, and the moon landing was completely staged, you are invited to cast a ballot. Astrologists, racists, ghost-hunters, sexists, and people who rely upon a Magic 8 Ball to determine their daily wardrobe are all allowed to participate. In fact, and to your point, they’re encouraged.

The undeniable reality is this: our right to vote does not require any understanding of current events, or any awareness of how our government works. So, when a celebrity reminds the country that “everybody’s vote counts,” they are absolutely correct. But when they tell us that “everybody in the country should get out there and vote,” regardless of what they think or believe, I gotta wonder what they’re smoking.

Look at our current candidates. No one appears to like either one of them. Their approval ratings are at record lows. It's not about who you like more, it's about who you hate less. Sure, we can blame the media, the system, and the candidates themselves, but let’s be honest - Donald and Hillary are there because we put them there. The electorate has tolerated the intolerable. We've treated this entire process like the final episode of American Idol. What did we expect?

So no, Jeremy - I can’t personally encourage everyone in the country to run out and vote. I wouldn't do it, even if I thought it would benefit my personal choice. Because the truth is, the country doesn't need voters who have to be cajoled, enticed, or persuaded to cast a ballot. We need voters who wish to participate in the process. So if you really want me to say something political, how about this - read more.

Spend a few hours every week studying American history, human nature, and economic theory. Start with "Economics in One Lesson." Then try Keynes. Then Hayek. Then Marx. Then Hegel. Develop a worldview that you can articulate as well as defend. Test your theory with people who disagree with you. Debate. Argue. Adjust your philosophy as necessary. Then, when the next election comes around, cast a vote for the candidate whose worldview seems most in line with your own.

Or, don’t. None of the freedoms spelled out in our Constitution were put there so people could cast uninformed ballots out of some misplaced sense of civic duty brought on by a celebrity guilt-trip. The right to assemble, to protest, to speak freely - these rights were included to help assure that the best ideas and the best candidates would emerge from the most transparent process possible.

Remember - there’s nothing virtuous or patriotic about voting just for the sake of voting, and the next time someone tells you otherwise, do me a favor - ask them who they’re voting for. Then tell them you’re voting for their opponent. Then, see if they’ll give you a ride to the polls.

In the meantime, dig into “Economics in One Lesson,” by Henry Hazlitt. It sounds like a snooze but it really is a page turner, and you can download it for free.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    I think it's important.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Isn't he conservative? So he's aware that a lower turnout is better for Republicans.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I exercise my right to vote during each election, though often just on a handful of candidates and measures with whom and which I've tried to become informed.

Agreed with not voting just because, but disagree with asking "who" someone's voting for even for purposes of opening communication. And, while you could ask about propositions vs candidates as well, unless I'm close to the person, I'd never ask someone that to begin with. They want to offer it up on their own? Great - but otherwise, it's none of my business (and mine, none of theirs).
  • Options

Isn't he conservative? So he's aware that a lower turnout is better for Republicans.

I don't know if he's conservative but much of what he says I don't see as conservative or liberal but than just sensible:

"Voting is a right, not a duty, and not a moral obligation."

"...our right to vote does not require any understanding of current events, or any awareness of how our government works."

"Look at our current candidates. No one appears to like either one of them."

"The electorate has tolerated the intolerable. We've treated this entire process like the final episode of American Idol."

"We need voters who wish to participate in the process."

"...read more. Spend a few hours every week studying American history, human nature, and economic theory."

"Develop a worldview that you can articulate as well as defend. Test your theory with people who disagree with you. Debate. Argue. Adjust your philosophy as necessary. Then, when the next election comes around, cast a vote for the candidate whose worldview seems most in line with your own."

"...there’s nothing virtuous or patriotic about voting just for the sake of voting..."

All of this makes perfectly good sense to me. The fact that we have two candidates with such low rates, the fact that we have something called "Voter Distress Syndrome" makes it plain to see that simple having people go out and vote is not creating a favorable situation.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I only vote in municipal elections, And I don't feel voting is an obligation, a right yes...i look at it this way, there are people like me who do not vote because we feel the system is is rigged, so why bother...I sobscribe to George Carlins theory of voting and apply it to Canada...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efKguI0NFek

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:

I don't know if he's conservative but much of what he says I don't see as conservative or liberal but than just sensible:

"...our right to vote does not require any understanding of current events, or any awareness of how our government works."

"The electorate has tolerated the intolerable. We've treated this entire process like the final episode of American Idol."

"...read more. Spend a few hours every week studying American history, human nature, and economic theory."

"Develop a worldview that you can articulate as well as defend. Test your theory with people who disagree with you. Debate. Argue. Adjust your philosophy as necessary. Then, when the next election comes around, cast a vote for the candidate whose worldview seems most in line with your own."

"...there’s nothing virtuous or patriotic about voting just for the sake of voting..."

All of this makes perfectly good sense to me. The fact that we have two candidates with such low rates, the fact that we have something called "Voter Distress Syndrome" makes it plain to see that simple having people go out and vote is not creating a favorable situation.

I've been called an elitist in previous election cycles because I also don't believe we have a moral obligation, and I don't believe we need to compel people to vote. It should be something one wants to do. If they cant bother studying the issues and getting informed, I don't want them voting and cancelling out the votes of people who do.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

brianlux said:

I've been called an elitist in previous election cycles because I also don't believe we have a moral obligation, and I don't believe we need to compel people to vote. It should be something one wants to do. If they cant bother studying the issues and getting informed, I don't want them voting and cancelling out the votes of people who do.
    Elections aren't rigged.
    Nope.
  • Options

jeffbr said:

brianlux said:

Elections aren't rigged.
    Nope.
    I don't think he meant it in that way- not intentional vote cancelling, just uninformed voters making choices that could cancel an informed choice.

Nicely said up there by the way, Jeff.

• Options
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

brianlux said:

Elections aren't rigged.
    Nope.
    I don't think he meant it in that way- not intentional vote cancelling, just uninformed voters making choices that could cancel an informed choice.

Nicely said up there by the way, Jeff.
    Maybe.
    He better get out and vote though!
    Hillary is losing!
  • Options
    What makes an uninformed voter? And who decides who uniformed? Because truthfully all these informed voters are not voting in the cream of the crop, of course i don't consider politicians the cream of the crop of our society, bottom feeders yes.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

What makes an uninformed voter? And who decides who uniformed? Because truthfully all these informed voters are not voting in the cream of the crop, of course i don't consider politicians the cream of the crop of our society, bottom feeders yes.

That's what's making me cring a little in this thread: that there's support for a notion that people need to reach a certain level of knowledge before voting.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

lukin2006 said:

That's what's making me cring a little in this thread: that there's support for a notion that people need to reach a certain level of knowledge before voting.
    I've got no litmus test for what makes someone knowledgeable to a level that suits everyone. That's unreasonable and not where I'm coming from. At all. Just try - TRY - to inform yourself. It's not difficult.

Otherwise, stab your stylus in the ballot like a blind man and expect applause for doing so, with a gold-star side.

I just don't get going to vote knowing nothing about the so-called choices being a wonderful thing.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

I'll give you an example, I know a few people who hunt, and quite a few years ago a liberal government brought in a long gun registry, forcing all gun owners to register their guns, well you can imagine how that made the honest (most gun owners in Canada) feel. Then years later a conservative comes along promising to scrap the registry, they rally behind him...essentially the issue of great concern to them, the conservative came to power and scrapped the registry, now are they informed or not? I mean they voted for the candidate that they felt best represented there position on gun registries...

• Options
    ^^^
    Elections aren't rigged.
    Nope.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Valid concern, Go Beavers. I would not be in favor of enforcing any rule about how informed (good point, lukin, what exactly is "informed" anyway?) or not someone is. What I get from the ideas put forth by Rowe and how I interpret those ideas are that we would do well to encourage voters to learn more about government, law, economics and (he glaringly left this out) the laws of nature and ecology.

In other words, the more people understand how our system works (and what about it doesn't work) and how the earth works (and what is good for it) the more likely we are to have a greater number of people making better choices. And we're not just talking about voting for the president. We vote for judges and school superintendents and congress people, etc. How can we expect to vote effective people into these offices if voters don't understand at the the basics of what those people do? We vote for bills and propositions. Those are worded to fool people so all the more reason some in depth studying of what they really say is the best avenue to at least a more informed vote.

We have the right to vote or not vote. So I would suggest if we vote, we read more widely, be more educated, understand at least the basics. That's not asking a lot of voters. I don't think so anyway.

That's my take on it.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

lukin2006 said:

I didn't say anything about that. I just don't like "get out the vote" campaigns compelling or pleading with the mouth breathers from either party to go vote. If a voter cared enough to vote, they'd be on it. If they have to have special invitations, rock concerts, their voter card handed to them, etc... then I'm not interested in having them vote. I'm not proposing a test. I'm not proposing blocking them. But I'm not in favor of spoon feeding the mouth breathers, either. Hmmm, maybe I would like to see a test. The test would be to name the sitting president and vice president. If you can't do that, you probably shouldn't have a part in selecting the next one. But again, not a serious proposal. Just common sense.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    People who take the issues seriously are engaged, but their engagement didn't grow from the inside. They were influenced along the way to be engaged and to vote. I see nothing wrong with making registration easy and creating more social pressure to vote. If you're worried about ignorant voters, then combat the ignorance.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    lukin2006 said:

look no further than the man on the street interviews....amazing that some of the basics of our own history people have no clue, but they will cast a vote because they are told to vote for a certain person